Old 16th October 2003, 23:10   #1
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
Call me an ass, but what is nullsoft thinking?

Now, I know that I am not the only one thinkign this, but I think I am teh only one with the balls to say it. Does nullsoft honestly want us to PAY for winamp pro? You can tell the people who thought of this idea up never visit the forums. People on here don't pay for shit, and a crack will be on kazza within a few hours of the official release (or hell, even before the release the way things are going). I am sure there will be people who do pay for it, but for the most part, I am willing to bet that most of us will just download a cracked version. call me an ass, but I just call 'em like i see 'um.
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 23:17   #2
LollipopLustKil
Insomniac
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to LollipopLustKil
I agree. There's no way I'd pay for that. I'll either find a crack or a Key Generator for it.

Scotty Doesn't Know
LollipopLustKil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 23:19   #3
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

LOL.

Even cool people like to make money Dlink.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 23:23   #4
fwgx
Rudolf the Red.
(Forum King)

Bilbo speaketh the truth. People pay for MusicMatch for the same reasons and people who know what they're doing go get CDEx and Nero.

"We think science is interesting and if you disagree, you can fuck off."
fwgx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 23:25   #5
psyfive
Forum King

dlink you are an ass... heh just kidding.

I probably wont use the extra features but I am planning on paying for the pro version.
psyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 23:26   #6
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

There are alot of us in the world that feel it right to pay for something someone else produced. You're basically a thief if you do otherwise besides who needs pro? You've used Winamp up 'til now without the added features. Go ahead and bitch though, people do that anyway(unfortunately)
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 23:35   #7
Reaper
Forum King

It costs to include things you know.. But honestly, if you don't like it, don't fucking use it. Simple as that. A free version will be available. Personally, I'm willing to pay for it to show my appreciation to the dev team.

Quote from Sawg's Winamp5 FAQ:

Quote:
Winamp Pro

Why Pro?
In forthcoming versions of Winamp, new features are going to be optionally included which need to be paid for on a per copy basis. As Winamp gets a lot of downloads, it is not viable for Nullsoft to pay for this themselves.

What will I gain from getting Winamp Pro?
Currently you will be able to:

* Encode MP3
* Rip CDs at full speed
* Burn CDs at full speed

Also, in the future other Pro features will be added, for which your Winamp Pro key will work. (Things like DVD Playback, hopefully )

What will I lose from sticking with regular Winamp?
Nothing!
Indeed, you will gain the ability to Rip and Burn CDs at slow speeds, as well as all the other new features in Winamp 5.

I already have a good free CD Ripper/Burner, do I have to have CD Ripping/Burning in Winamp?
No. In the installer, under Audio File Support you can uncheck what you don't want.

Why do I have to pay for MP3 encoding when it uses LAME which is free and open source?
Even though LAME is open source, Nullsoft has to pay per copy to Thompson for a licence to encode MP3. Thompson only offer MP3 encoding licences on a per-copy basis, so unfortunatly it has to be only included in the Pro version.

I paid for the shareware version of Winamp a while back before it went free, why do I have to pay again?
Because this is Winamp Pro. If you paid for the Winamp shareware you can still use Winamp, there is no pressure to upgrade.

Remember, it costs Nullsoft for every single Winamp Pro licence. If Nullsoft could do Winamp Pro for free, they would.

Winamp 2.92 and Winamp 2.95 had free, full speed CD Ripping, what gives?
They were leaked versions never intended for public consumption. This is the reason that they were illegal leaks.

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]

Last edited by Reaper; 16th October 2003 at 23:52.
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 23:50   #8
morgado
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to morgado
Yeah, Id like to pay for Winamp Pro but, as it always happens, people only remebre US and RICH countries !!
I bet that i'll not be able to pay it here, from Brasil, as it is happening with Napster, they dont have even the far date for we be paying here from Brasil, only US ... It sucks !!!
morgado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 23:57   #9
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

I'll pay, believe it or not. I support Winamp in thier endeavors, so if I can help, cool.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2003, 23:57   #10
godoncrack
Forum King

ASS
godoncrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 00:01   #11
Oni-Dracula

I will support anyone or any company who give me something useful and/or highly entertaining. Winamp is incredibly useful to me and I will buy it if need be.
Oni-Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 00:04   #12
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

I felt that "ASS" post was so lame, even a dumbass like me had to forego posting it.
I fear that my dollars will go straight to AOL
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 00:09   #13
Oni-Dracula

Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
<snippage>
I hadn't thought of that until now...it would be kinda sad if nullsoft got the shit end of the stick, so to speak.

Kinda like artists getting paid a small fraction of their CD sales and the rest going into the schmucks that stick their label on it.
Oni-Dracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 00:17   #14
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

Some personal thoughts on this matter

What would make me consider paying!?

- The current extra features
- Add DVD support, in a kick as nullsoft way
- Additional fileformats support like mp3pro, ogg etc

- A premium contents service, with shoutcast and NTV channels (with loads of bandwith and new music videos)

Maybe you could also milk the parent company for some exclusive contents, like pre-release of TimeWarner movie trailers, free mp3's from big names signed on Warner Music Group (madonna, linkin park, rolling stones)..... but without turning it into realplayer, and most important without a monthly subscription fee

However, that said, focus, should allways be on winamp as an Audioplayer - winamp would hardly be able to compete with WMP as a multi purpose mediaplayer. Everything non-related should allways be supported by downloadble plug-ins (like fx. if dvd support was to be implemented, it should be downloaded, not integrated into the core, and then unlocked by register code)

The plug-in system, and the small fast code is what makes us all love winamp - don't destroy that
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 00:20   #15
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

This is just me thinking out loud here, but for some reason im getting the feeling that the free version will eventually become a trial version, all the advanced options will dissapear (so as to not confuse the average users) and winamp will eventually become just a WiMP clone with a different name.

I could be (and hopefully i am) totally wrong here, but it's happened before...
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 00:42   #16
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Timmy beat me to it
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 00:48   #17
bored154
Major Dude

Location: near mid of CA Posts: not much........ B-Day: August 1st
Send a message via Yahoo to bored154
dlink your an ass........ jk but you told people to say it so i did anyway.....
Quote:
What will I gain from getting Winamp Pro?
Currently you will be able to:

* Encode MP3
* Rip CDs at full speed
* Burn CDs at full speed

Also, in the future other Pro features will be added, for which your Winamp Pro key will work. (Things like DVD Playback, hopefully )
why would you wanna pay to burn/rip if you get software with the burner? i can understand the mp3 encoding... but i would rather use my burning software to make my cd's what i WOULD pay for is DVD Playback... if it could work without a DVD drive i definitally would pay

Supporting"RE-MOD Bilbo"
.::My SETI::..::My Forums::..::My New Site::..::Winamp IRC::..::My DeviantArt Page::.
bored154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 00:56   #18
Starbucks
Forum King

Gee I hope AOL doesn't make trial turn into pay. It happened to Sony's station service and I stopped using it since.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 00:58   #19
bored154
Major Dude

too bad about sony's station....... i like their games but about winamp 5.0.... its kinda best to keep the old ones so incase they do make you pay eventually... you can always install the older ones that dont you dont have to pay for

Supporting"RE-MOD Bilbo"
.::My SETI::..::My Forums::..::My New Site::..::Winamp IRC::..::My DeviantArt Page::.
Old 17th October 2003, 01:04   #20
Psythik
Got his CT back
and didn't pay $10
(Forum King)

Quote:
Indeed, you will gain the ability to Rip and Burn CDs at slow speeds, as well as all the other new features in Winamp 5.
Will the ripping speeds be faster than MusicMatch's 10x? If so I won't have too much of a problem. But anyhow I don't see how much money Nullsoft could possibly lose from making the ripping fast for free. I mean com'on! Nullsoft is owned by AOL for crying out loud. How much more money could they possibly need! Greedy bastards...

[edit]
Ok so I guess I am kinda pissed about having to pay. So I guess I'm with Dlinkwit.
[/edit]

[edit 2]
Quote:
Originally posted by ElChevelle
Yeah me too. I might not mind throwing in four or $5, as long as it goes directly to making the Nullsoft experence (Winamp, SHOUTcast, etc.) a better service, not that (not meant as slander) greedy-ass AOL company...
[/edit 2]

This is a sig of some nature.
Psythik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 01:12   #21
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
Gee I hope AOL doesn't make trial turn into pay. It happened to Sony's station service and I stopped using it since.
I pwned at tanarus too

<3 force wars
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 01:13   #22
godoncrack
Forum King

AOL is hurtin right now
They need cash
ANYTHING they got lyin around is up for grabs
godoncrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 01:22   #23
corkhead0
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
This is just me thinking out loud here, but for some reason im getting the feeling that the free version will eventually become a trial version, all the advanced options will dissapear (so as to not confuse the average users) and winamp will eventually become just a WiMP clone with a different name.

I could be (and hopefully i am) totally wrong here, but it's happened before...
How dare you read my mind! And an hour before I thought it. You're good at this
corkhead0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 01:23   #24
s1138
Alumni?

Send a message via ICQ to s1138 Send a message via AIM to s1138 Send a message via Yahoo to s1138
its really not a big deal.
no nagging screen....plus, the features that are in the pro, werent in 2.x. so its not like you will be loosing anything

s1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 01:23   #25
xenosomething
Major Dude

im an aol beta tester(shut up) and i just got an email from them for beta testing wa5......i dont think they did this for 3 and i found it really odd.....

Quote:
Thank you for your time and efforts,

The AOL Beta Team

Winamp is a registered trademark of Nullsoft Inc., a subsidiary of Time Warner Inc.

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 01:34   #26
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
uh oh. i think im setting aside a nice copy of winamp 2.x just in case the unthinkable happens

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 01:43   #27
Starbucks
Forum King

Quote:
I pwned at tanarus too
I like infantry, it's much better! Damn I was the fastest and lightest flagger too. Know how I did it? I carry no weapons. I couldn't kill a fly.
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 02:21   #28
eleet-2k2
Forum King

I dont need those extra features, and while Nullsoft is trying to make their product better, those who like it and want it with the extra features can buy it, but those who dont will (hopefully) stick to a free, legal, copy of Winamp, and get CDEx and Nero. But even make a donation to Nullsoft for their awesome free products, even if you do not intend to buy the Pro version.

"Welcome to the Island of people who know too much."..."Did you really think balloons would stop him?!"
See what I'm listening too.
eleet-2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 04:49   #29
LawnGnome2005
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
I like infantry, it's much better! Damn I was the fastest and lightest flagger too. Know how I did it? I carry no weapons. I couldn't kill a fly.
Just cause u were light didnt make u any faster. Why don't you pay for inf? EOL is much better now than it was before pay to play.

Back on topic. I don't like the idea of paying for winamp Pro. Of course I wouldn't pay for it anyway. The extra features aren't something that makes me excited. Even if they added DVD playback I wouldn't pay for it. That's what I bought PowerDVD for. I don't think I'll even update to W5. I'm still using a year old copy of W2.

LawnGnome2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 04:54   #30
Mike H.
Forum Esperantist
(Major Dude)

Send a message via AIM to Mike H.
I don't understand why Nullsoft has to charge for the Pro features when MusicMatch has semi-fast burning and ripping, and MP3 encoding up to 128kbps, in the free version! (I don't like MMJB, I'm just stating the facts.)
Mike H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 05:11   #31
InvisableMan
Ninja Master!
(Forum King)

[reads 3 posts and gets bored]

knowing aol, nullsoft wont get a very large cut, and they will be forced to bloat it.
InvisableMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 05:18   #32
Germ
rules all things

Gloom and Doom - ya'll all need to chill out. You'll have your precious winamp for free still. There will NEVER EVER be a trial version so don't even worry about that shit. Everyone always has to complain about something, it's in human nature I guess but jesus, these people have been working their asses off for this release, and the bitching has already started on the first day of official release.
Germ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 06:00   #33
bored154
Major Dude

i like it the way it is pro or not if they add stuff like it said... i might consider buyin pro im not really complaining im happy but for me when something good happens in my life something always bad happens.... and it already happened... my #4 button on my cellphone is dead.... i have to open it up and use a paperclip to press it...

Supporting"RE-MOD Bilbo"
Old 17th October 2003, 06:21   #34
yakko

I paid for Winamp twice before it went freeware. I'll gladly pay again for Winamp 5 Pro. I've got no problems paying for good products made by people that have my utmost respect (by being a thorn in AOL's side ). When pricing is released I'm there!
yakko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 08:10   #35
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by Atmo
I can catagoraically (as in, i have it from nullsoft personally) say that that will never ever ever ever EVER happen to winamp. The pro version will ALWAYS be for shit that nullsoft have to pay for on a per-copy basis.

Read the FAQ if you have any queries: http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....13#post1128513

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 10:09   #36
Twilightseer
Frenchoderator

Winamp 5 kicks ass so far and the PRO features are useless considering that there are kick ass free programs that will handle them much better ( CDEX for ripping and encoding, BurnAtOnce for burning ) so it's all good
Twilightseer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 10:30   #37
sld

Quote:
Originally posted by k_rock923
uh oh. i think im setting aside a nice copy of winamp 2.x just in case the unthinkable happens
There's this website that keeps a lot of old Winamp versions just for you.

On a very different note, it's quite ironic that with all the eye-candy, something as basic as native theme support in XP is not implemented yet. Of course, this is only a Beta, so well, it still needs a manually added manifest file.
sld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 11:24   #38
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
Even though I won't use one Pro feature, I'm going to buy it. The least I could do for such a kick ass media player.

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 11:28   #39
james
Forum PFY
(Major Dude)

Okay so...

OGG's a free format right?

Therefore it shouldn't cost NS/AOL anything to include the ability to rip CDs to OGG format for free.

Or am I dead thick?

And yes, I know, they still want to make money from Winamp

He uses statistics like a drunk uses lamp-posts: for support, not illumination.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2003, 11:33   #40
will
Nullsoft Newbie (Moderator)

Quote:
Originally posted by james
Okay so...

OGG's a free format right?

Therefore it shouldn't cost NS/AOL anything to include the ability to rip CDs to OGG format for free.

Or am I dead thick?

And yes, I know, they still want to make money from Winamp
They were going to include ogg support (indeed, i have enc_vorbis.dll here, i might leak it if i'm allowed) but AOL legal wasn't happy with it.

DO NOT PM ME WITH TECH SUPPORT QUESTIONS
will is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions