Old 11th May 2011, 08:32   #1
paradive

Send a message via ICQ to paradive
Flv

has there ever been figured out a way to play these files in winamp?
paradive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 20:10   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Install a codec pack like KLite Mega Codec Pack (http://www.codecguide.com/download_k..._pack_mega.htm). Restart PC. Winamp should now handle flv files.

(Well, I don't think I did anything special to get it to work beyond installing latest Winamp and having up to date codecs on the PC)

Just tested - playback working fine here.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2011, 20:21   #3
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Correction - no need for the codecs, there is a built in plugin. Are you using the latest version of Winamp?
Old 12th May 2011, 20:23   #4
paradive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
Install a codec pack like KLite Mega Codec Pack (http://www.codecguide.com/download_k..._pack_mega.htm). Restart PC. Winamp should now handle flv files.

(Well, I don't think I did anything special to get it to work beyond installing latest Winamp and having up to date codecs on the PC)

Just tested - playback working fine here.
am downloading it now.
<crosses fingers>
thanks.

p.s. i think so. i'm using 5.61
Old 12th May 2011, 20:36   #5
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

That codec pack is on all of my PCs. Handy to play anything that other players can't deal with. (There is Media Player Classic included)

When you look into your Plugins... can you see the "Nullsoft Flash Video Decoded v1.4(h) [in_flv.dll]" ? That is what shoudl be handling Flash Video for you.
Old 12th May 2011, 20:55   #6
paradive

Quote:
That codec pack is on all of my PCs. Handy to play anything that other players can't deal with. (There is Media Player Classic included)

When you look into your Plugins... can you see the "Nullsoft Flash Video Decoded v1.4(h) [in_flv.dll]" ? That is what shoudl be handling Flash Video for you.
good news: it worked.

bad news: with WMP. winamp wasn't even in the list of available programs during setup.
Old 13th May 2011, 10:18   #7
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Good to hear you have solved it. But I am confused by your "Bad News". What has WMP got to do with anything? I assume you mean Windows Media PLayer?
Old 13th May 2011, 19:50   #8
paradive

Quote:
Good to hear you have solved it. But I am confused by your "Bad News". What has WMP got to do with anything? I assume you mean Windows Media PLayer?
affirmative.
it only listed Windows Media Player as an available program. it didn't seem to recognize Winamp at all.
so, i can play flv files on WMP, not Winamp... but i can still play them at least.

maybe i'm crazy, but it seems to me Winamp should have built-in flv compatibility. =/
Old 13th May 2011, 19:57   #9
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Winamp does have built in flv support. Have you looked for the plugin? I explained above how to check for this.

Also, look into the Preferences for the Filetypes and you should see it listed there.

If your "it only listed..." is talking about how WINDOWS handles the default file types, then try looking into the Winamp Preferences to set this instead.

To change file types on Vista\Win7 you need to RIGHT CLICK winamp and then RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
Now go into Preferences
locate the FILETYPES section
Select in here which file types you want winamp to handle (FLV is listed)
Now exit winamp and start as normal.

You should find Flash now plays both by dragging it into the play list AND by double clicking in the OS.

On a slightly different note... abandon Windows Media Player completely as it plays so few file types. Re-run that K-Lite installer, but this time tell it to associate to Media Player Classic as that will then handle everything you throw at it.
Old 19th May 2011, 23:48   #10
wfcamb

Send a message via Yahoo to wfcamb
Didn't know Winamp plays flv files.. Good to know!

Mr. Trancer Maniac:.

*Admins/Mods: My sig too big? There isn't a rule that I see that says otherwise..
I'm still a newbie even though says 2006.. Haven't been on here in 5 years..
PM me if it's too big..
wfcamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 06:13   #11
wfcamb

Send a message via Yahoo to wfcamb
*Tried it out.. That's so cool!

Mr. Trancer Maniac:.

*Admins/Mods: My sig too big? There isn't a rule that I see that says otherwise..
I'm still a newbie even though says 2006.. Haven't been on here in 5 years..
PM me if it's too big..
wfcamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2012, 20:34   #12
Andover Anorak

Flv files

I have been unable to play FLV files in Winamp since installing the programme on my new Windows 7 computer.After many days trying I have succeeded but am not sure why files work now.Firstly I installed the K-lite codec pack as previously suggested in this thread and it made no difference to Winamp but all files play nicely now in Windows Media Player.Next I installed the Winamp Essentials pack and about 50% of FLV files started working in Winamp.Now for the strange part,using a FLV file converter I have on my computer I converted the remaining 50% files to the same I presume FLV file format to see what would happen.To my total surprise they now work with Winamp.Winamp's claim FLV files should work 'straight out of the box' seems false after the struggles I have had but maybe someone reading this has a technical answer to what I have done.Finally happy as all files previously played correctly on my old Windows XP computer with Winamp installed.Would 3/4 year old flash files use old codecs not supported by Winamp?
Thanks for any comments.
Andover Anorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2012, 02:31   #13
paradive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andover Anorak View Post
I have been unable to play FLV files in Winamp since installing the programme on my new Windows 7 computer.After many days trying I have succeeded but am not sure why files work now.Firstly I installed the K-lite codec pack as previously suggested in this thread and it made no difference to Winamp but all files play nicely now in Windows Media Player.Next I installed the Winamp Essentials pack and about 50% of FLV files started working in Winamp.Now for the strange part,using a FLV file converter I have on my computer I converted the remaining 50% files to the same I presume FLV file format to see what would happen.To my total surprise they now work with Winamp.Winamp's claim FLV files should work 'straight out of the box' seems false after the struggles I have had but maybe someone reading this has a technical answer to what I have done.Finally happy as all files previously played correctly on my old Windows XP computer with Winamp installed.Would 3/4 year old flash files use old codecs not supported by Winamp?
Thanks for any comments.
Winamp seems to be unable to play FLV files.
at all, for me.

Last edited by paradive; 11th February 2012 at 02:34. Reason: trying to de;lete. even winamp's webmasters are inept.
Old 11th February 2012, 02:32   #14
paradive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andover Anorak View Post
Thanks for any comments.
Winamp seems to be unable to play FLV files.
at all, for me.
(sure glad i purchased Pro. )
Old 11th February 2012, 11:32   #15
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@Andover - can you stick some examples of good and bad flash files on a file hosting site somewhere so other people can assist you.

All you need to check for is the Flash Pluggin. Open Winamp Preferences, scroll down to Plugins, Open the Input branch, and check you can see "Nullsoft Flash Video Decoder v1.4(h) [in_flv.dll]" listed.

Can you drag the flash files into Winamp's playlist? Do they play that way?

Will Media Player Classic handle both types (see the KLite Code Pack notes I posted above)

@paradive: I assumed when you walked away from the thread before you had everything working. Just read my last posts above and you will get the file association side of playback working as well.
Old 11th February 2012, 18:51   #16
paradive

Quote:
@Andover - can you stick some examples of good and bad flash files on a file hosting site somewhere so other people can assist you.

All you need to check for is the Flash Pluggin. Open Winamp Preferences, scroll down to Plugins, Open the Input branch, and check you can see "Nullsoft Flash Video Decoder v1.4(h) [in_flv.dll]" listed.

Can you drag the flash files into Winamp's playlist? Do they play that way?

Will Media Player Classic handle both types (see the KLite Code Pack notes I posted above)

@paradive: I assumed when you walked away from the thread before you had everything working. Just read my last posts above and you will get the file association side of playback working as well.
nope.
have the plugin.

won't play em.
Old 14th February 2012, 15:03   #17
Roob

FLV on Win7

This took me forever to figure out. To get FLV files working you need to disable the Microsoft DTV-DVD decoders on Win7 using the following link. http://www.makeyoutubevideo.com/disa...eodecoder.html

Then follow these instructions
Quote:
1) Download and install the FLV Splitter (required to demux the FLV container)

FLV Splitter | mirror | Direct Download

2) Install the latest 32-bit version of FFDShow, which is required to decode FLV content.

Make sure 'FLV1', 'VP6', 'VP6F', 'H.264/AVC' and 'H.263' are set to 'libavcodec' in:
Start > Programs > ffdshow > Video decoder config > Codecs page.

If it says 'disabled' next to FLV1, VP6, VP6F/FLV4, H.264/AVC or H.263 (+), click on it and change it from 'disabled' to 'libavcodec' via the drop-down menu.

3) Add ;FLV to the Extension List in:

Winamp > Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Plugins > Input > DirectShow (in_dshow.dll) > config

so it now looks something like:

MPG;MPEG;M2V;AVI;FLV

You will now have playback support for FLV in Winamp.

I will be visiting India this year to get a hair transplant in Mumbai.
Roob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Tags
flv