Old 12th May 2013, 15:25   #1
djpete
Major Dude

How to sync Winamp playlists & tracks on 2 computers

Thought I would post how I sync my 2 laptops so that the playlists and tracks are the same as my main PC, as I see this question comes up a lot on the forum.

1. Make sure both computers have your track folders in the same directories on both machines.
EG in my case on both laptops winamp is on c Partition, tracks are on d partition in the same named folders. It's the same file structure as my main PC. This is important otherwise your playlists will not work later on.

2. Share the folder/s on the remote computer your are syncing to by right clicking and adjusting the share folder options (I'm using XP on my laptops)

3. Download Syncback (Free version avail) or similar software.
http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/

4. Set 2 syncs for the following folders:
a) Your music folders on both machines. In my case d/my music
b) The folder named ML on both machines. This can be tricky to find. On my machine using Win 7 it is located as follows...\\PETE-PC\Users\Pete\AppData\Roaming\Winamp\Plugins\ml.
For XP it's a little different but still in the area of Users\Pete\AppData...you will need to search for it.

That's it.
When you do these 2 snycs then your winamp on the other machine will have the same playlists and tracks as your main computer.

Warning: When you sync make sure Winamp on either machine are NOT open. This has caused probs for me in the past.

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 06:24   #2
CJ_Man

Microsoft's Synchtoy is also good for this.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=15155

I use is to synch the documents and media libraries on both my machines to a NAS drive for backup as well as synch.
CJ_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 06:40   #3
djpete
Major Dude

Good one CJ_Man.
Thanks for the tip

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 13th May 2013, 12:41   #4
DrO

sounds just like one of the aims of the Winamp Cloud i.e. one library everywhere including playlists, etc...
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2013, 12:48   #5
djpete
Major Dude

oops. As you know I don't install much of the extras Dr O. Is there a good explanation of how that works anywhere? Sorry for the ignorance. How does that work with 20,000 songs? Thats a lot of data..

I think I found it...
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=356953

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 13th May 2013, 12:56   #6
DrO

well it's one of the overall aims to be able to have all Winamp instances connected and sharing things between them so you can keep things like playlists sync'd between them (is the part i'm doing some work on currently). and as it's all beta at the moment, not a lot of it is done / complete but what you've described should be able to be done via the Cloud functionality eventually. so was more just a point of note really.
Old 13th May 2013, 12:57   #7
djpete
Major Dude

so I have to first upload all songs to the cloud, in my case I assume this would take around 13 hrs because thats how long it takes when syncing over a lan. Then I have to do the whole thing again on the "other" syncing PC or laptop, another 13 hrs or so if I dont have any files on that machine.
Is this the right idea or is it somehow faster?

will have to do an install of it again with cloud and try it out if I get in that is. Sounds like limited trials of it.
Keen to test this...:-)

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 13th May 2013, 13:08   #8
DrO

doing file transfers between machines isn't there currently, but eventually you'll be able to send files to another cloud device - currently you're only be able to upload to our cloud storage and then you stream them on the other cloud enabled Winamp clients.
Old 13th May 2013, 13:12   #9
djpete
Major Dude

I see. Quality would be a little less when streaming I take it? As in compressed?
But the end goal sounds great. I presume there would be some sort of cost for storage too. Will still test on another install.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 13th May 2013, 13:29   #10
DrO

quality should be the same as the original files since it should be a binary match. yes there is a cost for the storage based on a number of tiers.
Old 13th May 2013, 13:31   #11
djpete
Major Dude

Thanks for the update DrO.

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 17th May 2013, 04:18   #12
djpete
Major Dude

I have a small issue that when I sync to the second laptop the main computer loses its media library playlists and I have to re-import them. Are there any files I should NOT sync maybe?

got it. skipping playlists.xml stops the issue. But does that mean my playlists will not be synced? mmm

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Old 17th May 2013, 11:11   #13
DrO

playlists.xml refers to the playlists, so you'd need to copy it and the playlists referenced in the file. with 5.7 you'd just need to copy %appdata%\Winamp\Plugins\ml\playlists (assuming you've not added externally referenced playlists - if so then you'd need to determine and copy them as needed).
Old 17th May 2013, 19:19   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I would love to be able to upload ALL my music, (soon it will be 500+ gigs) and have edits and so on that I make on some local instance rsync'd. I would love to have whats uploaded be the "master" collection and everything local mirror it, (except what changes I make locally obviously). so some sort of happy balance between automatic and manual would need to be found. Its complex really, because the cloud is the master, but you want your local changes merged into the cloud, yet you want your local stuff to mirror the cloud.

I would like to be able to stream anything uploaded, to any device/computer/etc, but I would also want to be able to go with the local mirror only as well.

one thing winamp should look at is squeezebox. they have something called squeezenetwork and the cloud and it have a lot in common. Logitech screwed the pooch on SN but that's an opening for winamp and the cloud. there are a LOT of squeeze users out there who would like to have the ability to upload their music to the cloud, and then connect their hardware to it. this is possible b/c the protocols for the hardware are opensource. so you could either code some tight integration, or you could setup the cloud to output a shoutcast stream, that any hardware could "tune in" into. you could limit the number of listeners to say 3 or so to save BW, and use semi-low bitrates but HQ codecs. instant personal radio station.

it would also be cool if your local winamp could then remote control the cloud. so say you had all the music uploaded, but nothing local. fire up a blank local winamp, connect to the cloud, and manipulate the cloud output with that winamp, exactly as if the music were local. so the UI experience would be exactly the same, but under the hood its coming from the cloud and u gotta tune into it.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 02:34   #15
djpete
Major Dude

setup a new sync to mirror all (Re playlists issue) and works well now. Thanks Dr O

Cheers, Pete

Winamp Enthusiasts Group
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion