Old 17th April 2013, 14:53   #1
ge1971

Identifying songs not in any playlist

I've done a search and haven't seen an answer to this -

I have several thousand mp3 files that I want to categorize and save to different playlists.
- Cat A
- Cat B
- Cat C
- etc
- Uncategorized

So I started by putting all the files in the Uncategorized playlist and started identifying them, moving them into Cat A/B/C/etc and removing them from the Uncategorized playlist.

Then I fell foul of the dreaded 'Crop' feature (and hadn't backed up the playlists ).

So what I'd like to do is re-create my Uncategorized playlist by adding all files not currently in another playlist.

Any ideas how to go about doing this ?
ge1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 16:16   #2
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

NEXT TIME this happens... don't close Winamp. The playlist will probably still be sitting on the PC at that stage.

Assuming you are on the Beta 5.7 look into %appdata%\roaming\winamp\plugins\playlists\ and you will see all of your playlists you are working with. These can be opened in Notepad (or notepad++ for more control)

I have cleared my main playlist in error before in a similar way. With a quick dive into this folder I have recovered it before winamp saved on top as it exited.

If you are running Vista Business or Windows 7 Professional don't forget you have the option to roll back single files. Find the relevant playlist for Winamp, right click, select properties, select Previous Versions tab. You may get your older version back that way.

As to answering your question. Sorry, no idea. I'd probably work with notepad++ and a bit of pattern matching. But hard to say without knowing more about the data you have and what the categories are.
Batter Pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 16:46   #3
ge1971

Thank you very much for the reply ^^
I suspected it might be a manual job so I'm busily editing now

In the meantime I'll add my name to those begging for an undo feature - crop is a dangerous tool, particularly for a new user who sees it and thinks "hmm, I wonder what that does"

Cheers
Old 17th April 2013, 16:50   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi ge1971,

Playlists are text files. There are several free utilities that let you compare text files. You may already have one on your computer that came with some versions of Windows, called "WinDiff.exe". You can also use "WinMerge" (link below).

http://winmerge.org/

I assume your original Uncategorized playlist contained all your files. You should be able to recreate that. Then you can use the comparison tool (of your choice) to compare the recreated full playlist to each of your other playlists, one at a time. The items in the full list that match those in the other lists will be highlighted and then can be easily selected and deleted.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2013, 16:54   #5
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ge1971 View Post
In the meantime I'll add my name to those begging for an undo feature - crop is a dangerous tool, particularly for a new user who sees it and thinks "hmm, I wonder what that does"
There was a Playlist Undo plug-in written by DrO. He pulled all his plug-ins from his website in Feburary. Maybe it is still in the Winamp Essentials Package.

Alas, he also had one that removed the crop feature.

Old 17th April 2013, 17:42   #6
ge1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Hi ge1971,

Playlists are text files. There are several free utilities that let you compare text files. You may already have one on your computer that came with some versions of Windows, called "WinDiff.exe". You can also use "WinMerge" (link below).

http://winmerge.org/

I assume your original Uncategorized playlist contained all your files. You should be able to recreate that. Then you can use the comparison tool (of your choice) to compare the recreated full playlist to each of your other playlists, one at a time. The items in the full list that match those in the other lists will be highlighted and then can be easily selected and deleted.
Thanks Aminifu
I've used loads of different text tools over the years (my job is development/technical consultancy), but that WinMerge is a new to me and looks ideal for this sort of task so thank you very much for the link
Old 17th April 2013, 17:45   #7
ge1971

Thanks Aminifu,

I did track down the link to DrO's plug-in but as you say, it's been pulled :*(

I've used loads of text editors over the years (my job is development / technical consultancy), but WinMerge is new to me and looks ideal for this sort of thing so thanks for the heads-up on that
Old 17th April 2013, 19:23   #8
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

@ge1971: I used to kill my playlists by accidentally loading up a single file from the OS when I had forgotten to set the default "enqueue" action. That is when I realised that as Winamp writes its file updates as it exits this becomes a very handy safety feature.
Old 17th April 2013, 20:09   #9
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
That is when I realised that as Winamp writes its file updates as it exits this becomes a very handy safety feature.
This is currently true for the active playlist and hopefully it will remain so. But going forward, the devs have been making changes to update some files when a change is detected, in order to save time at Winamp closing and hopefully prevent the file corruption that sometimes occurs in extreme update cases.

Old 17th April 2013, 20:17   #10
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
This is currently true for the active playlist and hopefully it will remain so. But going forward, the devs have been making changes to update some files when a change is detected, in order to save time at Winamp closing and hopefully prevent the file corruption that sometimes occurs in extreme update cases.
To be honest, not a problem for me as I am on Windows 7 Professional on all my PCs. So I just use the "Previous Version" options in the file tab. Brilliant feature that I so rarely hear anything about. Thanks for the heads-up on the change of Winamp's writes.
Old 17th April 2013, 20:39   #11
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batter Pudding View Post
To be honest, not a problem for me as I am on Windows 7 Professional on all my PCs. So I just use the "Previous Version" options in the file tab. Brilliant feature that I so rarely hear anything about.
Maybe because of the number of Windows 7 Professional users. Months ago I tried "Shadow Explorer" (link below) to activate this feature in the Home Premium version, but it did not work.

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/index.ph...deleted-files/

I tried to access the Shadow Explorer home site, but it would not load. Maybe the product has been pulled.

Old 17th April 2013, 20:54   #12
Batter Pudding
Major Dude

Almost certainly been pulled. Can't have you enabling useful features in that crippled home edition of Windows!! I just tell my clients to avoid the Home Premium and pay the extra £50 for Pro. But then the Pro version has always been the best edition of Windows (see NT 4.0, W2K, XP, etc)

Okay - so I have Ultimate on this PC... but that is a pointless gimmick and only on here due to my MS subscription.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support