Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Closed Thread
Old 29th December 2003, 22:34   #1
jbardi

Winamp 5 is worse than Winamp 3!

When you guys released winamp 2, I was happy.. ran great, did all I needed it to do... with the right plugins, it played all my media files, audio files, pictures, everything.

Then, along came Winamp 3, which was bloated, slow, unstable, and basically, the "Windows ME" of media players.

Then they get the bright idea to continue trying to duplicate Windows Media Player, RealMedia Player and MusicMatch Jukebox, by releasing Winamp 5. They use to be the front runner in media players for so many years because they WEREN'T trying to copy everyone else.

I figured, well, maybe they learned from their mistake with Winamp 3, but NOOOOO!

Not only is Winamp 5 bloated and slow, crashing all the time, but it takes up so much memory, that I am unable to do anything productive on my system while it is running, and even when nothing else is running, it still skips and jumps around playing MP3's and Movies.

And YES, I followed all the tips for better permormance with direct sound, and still, slow as hell. It takes up between 15 and 45 megs of memory just sitting there in my system tray.

All of my media files play blazingly fast with Windows Media Player AND Winamp 2, so don't tell me it is my system.

I don't know if you all got lazy in your old coding ages, or maybe you hired some coders off the street, but what ever you did, dump Winamp 5 and continue developement of Winamp 2. And maybe stop trying to force people to upgrade by putting a LINK back on your page to download Winamp 2. Lucky for me I still had the original install, cause lord knows you don't offer it anymore.

I feel sorry for those that just heard of Winamp and think that Winamp 5 is the only route to go. Your bound to lose more users. And who would EVER pay for the pro version when the free one is bad enough.
Old 29th December 2003, 22:41   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
dump Winamp 5 and continue developement of Winamp 2.
Winamp 5 is Winamp 2, exactly the same engine.
The same old classic skin is still the base skin.
Sorry to hear you're having problems.
Note: 90%+ users are very happy and don't experience these kind of problems.
Maybe it's your system to blame?
Old 29th December 2003, 22:53   #3
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
I don't know what your comp is telling you, but it's seriously fucked up. I am using Winamp5, watching a video right now, and I'm using the MMD3 skin from Winamp3 which is way bloated, and my Winamp is still only use 10MB of memory... not to mention I have atleast 6 plugins currently running. So, obviously, your computer is completely fucked. Winamp5 is better than Winamp2, and I don't know where your getting this "copying WMP" thing from, cause the video part of Winamp5 was in Winamp2.91.

Also, Winamp5 hasn't crashed ONCE on my computer, the only version of Winamp5 that ever crashed was the alpha release (leaked verssion), but that's to be expected. Get a new comp

[@imho] man
[@imho] I had dreams about unit testing last night :-(
[@sim`a] i have nightmares about syntax errors, whats your point
Old 29th December 2003, 22:54   #4
jbardi

Uh, yeah, I believe that

First of all, the base skin is NOT the classic skin... secondly, if it is the core of Winamp 2, then it is the extra features tagged on that bloat it down.

And where do you get the idea that 90+ users are happy with it. You do a poll of the downloaders? You monitor all the people that are uninstalling Winamp 5 and downloading Winamp 2 from winampheaven.net? I don't think so. (pretty sad that people have to go to a third party website to download winamp 2 since it is not offered here anymore)

Read your forums. It is OVER FLOWING with people that hate Winamp 5, and it hasn't been out that long.

Winamp 2 works great on my system, as well as the other 3 media players I mentioned, so don't try and give me the same old excuse you guys have been giving people the past 1 1/2 years ("It must be your system").. what a lame excuse to use when you don't want to figure out what the problem really is.

I have an AMD Athlon XP 1.8ghz, 512 mb memory, so don't tell me my system is causing LAG with a simple mp3 playback. MP3's have been played fine for years now on old pentium 100 machines, so try again.
Old 29th December 2003, 22:58   #5
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
It IS your system. Ignorant fool. All winamp versions, except for Winamp3, because it WAS to bulky, work on my comp. Winamp5 is no exception.

As for the 90%, he is right. The forums are not overflowing, 5 people (max) have posted they hate Winamp5. Look at the number of people that ar giving positive feedback, its much greater than those who dislike winamp5.

[@imho] man
Old 29th December 2003, 23:06   #6
jbardi

back again

I have uninstalled all of winamp. I then installed a fresh copy of winamp 5 with the classic skin, and winamp 2 with the classic skin, both in seperate folders.

I am now looking at my computer, with both copies open, both playing a copy of the same mpg file, and winamp 5 is skipping, while winamp 2 plays it without one glitch or pause.

I also tried it with the same mp3 file as well, and both individually by themself without the other copy of winamp running just to make sure.

Winamp 5 skipped while it was playing by itself as well as while Winamp 2 was playing, and winamp 2 never skipped once.

So are you going to tell me that my compute is just prejudice against Winamp 5? If it is the same core, then it should play the same, should it not?

Enough of this forum.. I'm happy with Winamp 2, so there really is no reason to upgrade nor complain any further about this matter.
Old 29th December 2003, 23:08   #7
Kickboy12

I have never seen any version of Winamp (this includes Winamp3, which was unstable) "skip" while playing a video or MP3. All versions of Winamp play MP3's perfectly, I stopped using Winamp3 cause it used 30-45MB of memory, and crashed on occasion.

Stick with Winamp2 if you want, no need bitching about it.

[@imho] man
Old 29th December 2003, 23:11   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
First of all, the base skin is NOT the classic skin
lol

So, I'm lying now am I?
The base skin is the classic skin, the same one from Winamp 2, because Winamp 5 is Winamp 2.
Download the Lite version and you will see.

Winamp3 was different, because it was built from scratch on the wasabi platform. Whereas Winamp 5 was built on the same old Winamp 2 Win32 engine.

And yes, I read just about every thread on these forums.
And I see that 90% of users are happy and don't experience the kind of problems you have. I also read all the reviews from sites like download.com (to reference 1 of many), and 90%+ users are very happy there too.

It's your comp to blame, not Winamp.

[edit]

okay, you posted again before I submitted this post

Umm, the Winamp 5 engine is exactly the same as the Winamp 2 engine.

Maybe you need to tweak it somewhat?

But hey, anyone would think this was a tech support forum...

[/edit]
Old 29th December 2003, 23:17   #9
WanderingKnight

Do us ALL a favor and take it over to this thread, would you?

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=161374
Old 29th December 2003, 23:21   #10
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
And for future reference, Winamp3 was not bloated, it was unfinished. So there.
Old 30th December 2003, 02:42   #11
Raftysworld

Send a message via AIM to Raftysworld Send a message via Yahoo to Raftysworld
Quote:
Originally posted by squall14716
And for future reference, Winamp3 was not bloated, it was unfinished. So there.
Not only that, but how can you call something bloated when during the install process, you can uncheck what components you don't want to install. Jesus. Is the installer too bloated for you???
Old 30th December 2003, 02:49   #12
Raftysworld

Re: back again

Quote:
Originally posted by jbardi
So are you going to tell me that my compute is just prejudice against Winamp 5? If it is the same core, then it should play the same, should it not?

Enough of this forum.. I'm happy with Winamp 2, so there really is no reason to upgrade nor complain any further about this matter.
What version of WA 2?

If you're not lying about any of this... the only logical explanation would be that you are using a much older version of WA 2, on an incredibly outdated system.

WA 5, with the classic skin, IS WA 2!! That's what EVERYONE who bitches about WA 5 forgets! If Nullsoft had numbered it as 2.96, and made the classic skin the default, NO ONE would be complaining. No one.

WA 5 and WA 2 ARE based on the same Win32 core, and if you don't install modern skin support, all the problems are in your head. (pending some strange configuration issues)
Old 30th December 2003, 02:52   #13
squall14716

Send a message via ICQ to squall14716 Send a message via AIM to squall14716 Send a message via Yahoo to squall14716
Quote:
Originally posted by Raftysworld
Not only that, but how can you call something bloated when during the install process, you can uncheck what components you don't want to install. Jesus. Is the installer too bloated for you???
Including the core itself. Just don't expect something to happen when you press play.
Old 30th December 2003, 05:14   #14
iron2000

Maybe he should have told us his system specs.

Thanx
Old 30th December 2003, 07:38   #15
sanosuke
Major Dude

Re: Uh, yeah, I believe that

actually he did...
Quote:
Originally posted by jbardi
I have an AMD Athlon XP 1.8ghz, 512 mb memory, so don't tell me my system is causing LAG with a simple mp3 playback. MP3's have been played fine for years now on old pentium 100 machines, so try again.
but it is probely some poor 3rd party plugin that works fine with winamp2.9 but not with winamp5.

Big-assed signature deleted by errr.. whats his name again??
Old 30th December 2003, 07:53   #16
Rellik
Major Dude

Heh, you want proof that the classic skin is embedded into Winamp 5? Download Resource Hacker, open the winamp.exe and have a look at the bitmap section.
Old 30th December 2003, 07:57   #17
squall14716

Of course it is, the classic skin has been embeded in Winamp forever.
Old 30th December 2003, 09:11   #18
iron2000

Sorry, should have read properly.

His specs are almost the same as mine only mine is a P4.
Winamp5 runs fine on my PC, modern skin or not, lite and standard installs.

Thanx
Old 30th December 2003, 12:55   #19
wmjordan

I am in the happy 90% guys with WA 5.

And I am now still using a lousy computer with Duron 700MHz only. Winamp5 does not run too slow on my 'poor' comp today. And I can watch AVI movies with it, if comfigured properly, without any noticable skipping.

Perhaps, as someone said, using some lousy 3rd party plugin will result in Winamp5 working improperly.

BTW, may I complain that Winamp5 shakes my hard disk (doing a lot of IO operations) when it quits? I remember that Winamp 2.9 was a little more gentle with my HD.
Old 30th December 2003, 15:02   #20
Raftysworld

Quote:
Originally posted by wmjordan
BTW, may I complain that Winamp5 shakes my hard disk (doing a lot of IO operations) when it quits? I remember that Winamp 2.9 was a little more gentle with my HD.
*Whips out sword* Are you using the modern or the classic skin?
Old 30th December 2003, 16:12   #21
nierke

Hey I have PIII 533Mhz 256MB ram 64MB video, WA5 runs just great

...:::nierke:::...
Old 30th December 2003, 17:53   #22
JanW

OK, I must admit I recognize some of the original poster's complaints.

WinAmp 5 crashed, a lot. It indeed felt like it was WinAmp3 all over again. While my WinAmp2.91 did it's job just fine.

However, not long after the (official) release of WinAmp5, came WinAmp 5.01. So, I'll gave it another shot (because, hey... WA5 just looks fingerlickin' good ).

This time; no crashes with WinAmp 5.01. At least, not on a same level as the first (official) release of WA5. (Most of the times crashes occure due to some expected decline of system resources on my old PC; I sometimes just want too much, too fast at the same time. And sometimes it's just too much too handle for my trusty ol' PC. -> Win98, AMD650, 256 RAM )

So, after a small testing period, I removed ALL WinAmp versions (and plug-in's and what not) and installed WA5.01 again.

I felt no need to keep the old 2.91 version of WinAmp. And thanks to this thread I found out that WinAmp 5.01 can be turned back to WinAmp2, if I wanted to. But... Why on earth would I want that?

BTW:
I have no idea why the first release of WA5 gave me so much trouble and 5.01 (fortunately) did not. I did take a quick look at the release notes, but found nothing that might explain it for me.

Anyway, just my 2 [insert your local currency here].
Old 30th December 2003, 18:52   #23
Dextro

You want the proof that Winamp 5 IS better than winamp 2?

What better prof do you need than knowing that I have it running fine with modern skins (MMD3, i only switch to classic when I'm doing something heavy like photoshop or something) on a PII 350MHZ 160MB RAM HD 24Gb ?!?!?!?!

Could you get more proof than that????

And btw, I'm using enhancer too which is an hell of a resource eater.

So there, now tell me Winamp 5 is worst than winamp 2

Old 30th December 2003, 20:01   #24
Germ
rules all things

It's worse than winamp 2
Old 30th December 2003, 20:13   #25
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Old 30th December 2003, 20:33   #26
Dextro

Come on?´!?!?!?!

Old 30th December 2003, 21:28   #27
UltraZelda64

Some of you people need to learn to do a quick format before you learn to type your bullshit on message boards. Who knows, you might learn something, like the fact that your system specs aren't EVERYTHING. Hell, I have a 1.7GHz P4 and only 256 megs of RAM, and have never had any problems. At least defrag, run some anti-virus software, and an adware/spyware removal program. Oh, and a program like Fast Defrag could come in useful.
Old 30th December 2003, 23:01   #28
spleef420

Send a message via AIM to spleef420 Send a message via Yahoo to spleef420
the registry defrag option in Advanced System Optimizer works wonders for poor performance.

UltraZelda64 is right, basic maintenance will vastly improve performance.

try maintaining your pc before complaining.
Old 30th December 2003, 23:32   #29
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
The last 2 posts by UltraZelda64 and spleef420 in this otherwise ridiculous thread are the only ones apart from the whining and complaining posts so far posted that are well thought out and worth a damn. I suggest everyone heed their advice before posting with whining and complaints.

I'm so tempted to *whack* this thread but I'll wait a bit to see if any of the whiners and complainers post back to THANK UltraZelda64 and spleef420 and to say, "Duhhh... I guess proper PC maintenance was the key after all. Maybe I've learned something here, thanks to you guys".

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Old 31st December 2003, 01:33   #30
Jumper001

I think it sounds like the post originator has a buttload of spyware on his computer.

He doesn't meantion trying it w/the Classic skin either.

Probably so choked up with crap it can't handle Modern.

I've taken 1000+ spyware/adware items off of 5 or 6 peoples computers at school, turned off all their system tray applications, run a virusscan and a Windows Update, as well as turning off useless services.

You would be amazed how much faster they are afterwards, and how pleased they are with their systems.

I have an Athlon 1.133ghz 512MB of PC2100 DDR downstairs that my little sisters use, runs WA5/w modern skin fine, while doing 5 other things too.

LEARN TO USE YOUR PC!
Old 31st December 2003, 03:38   #31
Moguta

Amen, Jumper.

Learn what Spybot S&D is for, folks!

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Old 31st December 2003, 04:56   #32
wmjordan

Quote:
Originally posted by Raftysworld
*Whips out sword* Are you using the modern or the classic skin?
I use classic skin only.
Plug-ins i have are

Music Library
Modern Skin Support (but not used)
Global Hotkey
In & out plugins come with Winamp5 (Ogg, Video, etc)
-------- the following is installed since WA 2.9
Enhancer 0.17
WavePack
SPC plugin
NotSoFatso

Hmm, maybe it is because i installed the AVS and MilkyDrop.
It seems that without the AVS installed (in WA 2.9 on my computer), my hard disk "shakes" less.
Old 31st December 2003, 05:07   #33
priestlyboy

Send a message via AIM to priestlyboy Send a message via Yahoo to priestlyboy
This thread is freaking hilarious. I'm using Winamp5 on a Pentium 2 266mHz w/ MMX, 64mb of ram, STB Virge GX/VX graphics card, and 20 gbs of HD memory. Oh and get this... Since this is technically my family's computer it hasn't been upgraded since we got it. Sooo, We are still using Windows 95 OSR2 hahahaha.

And it runs great!, as long as I'm using classic skins. It has never crashed, except trying to run modern skins which is more or less freezing but not causing Winamp to crash out.

My computer does slow down and it's memory core is being hogged by something which I think there may have been a memory leak during my reinstallation of Windows 95.

Windows 98 is a horrible release of Windows if I recall it was buggy so much they had to release a Second Edition (of which neither i cared to upgrade to) Even though I had a few troubles with 95 (bad directX installation (stupid for me to try out a beta) and a few viruses) besides have a HD Crash on me.

So look... Maybe you just need a new computer.. hm?

lol

This is quite humorous guys.

Ieremiou

Edit:

Well technically it can "run" modern skining except it is realllly slow. But it has not technically crashed using them except for what i call freezing in place but it doesn't shut Winamp down it just freezes for a few moments and starts back up so I don't really use the modern skinning on this computer.

It never worked right in Winamp 3 (kept crashing) on this old computer.
Old 31st December 2003, 09:19   #34
sld

The original poster doesn't realise that most people who are happy with Winamp don't bother to come online and praise it, and only those who have problems arrive en masse to complain.
Old 31st December 2003, 11:09   #35
WHEREamI
Major Dude

indeed... i'd guess. that less than 1% of Winamp users have even looked at the forums, let alone post on them. Surely they must at least be content with WA, if not wholly happy with it.

~WHEREamI

ps. o yah, i forgot that i try to avoid these threads... d0h!
Old 31st December 2003, 13:49   #36
Raftysworld

Quote:
Originally posted by wmjordan
I use classic skin only.
Plug-ins i have are

Music Library
Modern Skin Support (but not used)
Global Hotkey
In & out plugins come with Winamp5 (Ogg, Video, etc)
-------- the following is installed since WA 2.9
Enhancer 0.17
WavePack
SPC plugin
NotSoFatso

Hmm, maybe it is because i installed the AVS and MilkyDrop.
It seems that without the AVS installed (in WA 2.9 on my computer), my hard disk "shakes" less.
Well, I've used Enhancer and WavePack with my Winamp 5, and my hard disk never had a problem. So it might be one of the last two plug-ins that are causing this. How old are those two plug-ins? You may want to check for an updated version.

Better yet... back up the installer for one of the plug-ins (or just the file, if that's how it was packaged) and uninstall it. Test Winamp 5 with only one of those last two plug-ins. If it still seems to shake up your hard disk, try the same thing with the last plug-in.

In regards to the AVS, it shouldn't be a problem, UNLESS you're running AVS when you close Winamp. With the CPU being used so extensively upon closure, it would make sense for that to happen.
Old 31st December 2003, 17:52   #37
Moguta

The SPC & NSF plugins shouldn't be causing a problem. NSF & SPC files are much smaller than MP3/etc so there definitely shouldn't be much hard drive access.

wmjordan, your hard drive might be going bad. Install a utility like Drive Health to make sure that's not it.

Magnatune - A role model for ALL digital music stores!
Old 31st December 2003, 18:30   #38
[FAIL]Pagannn

All I can say is that the original poster is a poor, deluded soul. I didn't like 3, but I LOVE 5. I was just a little pissed that I couldn't pay for it right away.

I will give some credibility to the system resource usage though. Some people have said the memory usage is low. The physical memory usage IS low if you are looking at NT/2000/XP task manager. But you will see that virtual memroy usage is a little higher than 2.x/3 if you add the VM column to the process view.

I think that the usage of virtual memory for skin management/options is a great idea. The physical memory usage is focused on the real-time playback of the music. Physical memory is much faster and prevents "skipping".

The guys at Nullsoft were thinking of us when this was written. A little delay on skin changes and initial load time is the price we pay for great audio playback.
Old 31st December 2003, 19:17   #39
Dextro

Yet I still get some skipping but I think that's just my OLD computer playing his tricks. (ok, it skips when I'm trying to run Steam or Adobe Photoshop. No wonder, on a PII 350 MHz )

Old 31st December 2003, 22:27   #40
QZKotL

Well, I'm running a slightly slower machine than yours Dextro, and Winamp 5 Using the Modern Skin in Windowshade mode with notifications turned on runs smoothly, even with Mozilla (an app that hogs resources). Maybe this guy installed WA 5.0 the wrong way or doesn't know how to use his plugins, cuz Winamp3 is a lot worse than Winamp 5.01.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion