Old 9th May 2005, 21:38   #1
iver

Every stream cuts out after several minutes

I've read manyposts/stickies regarding problems with shoutcast and streams cutting out but can't find any that apply specifically to my problem. This happens with me too but it happens on all streams. I can play a stream for anywhere from 5 to 30 minutes but then winamp just stops. No error message or anything. It just stops. If I just try to close winamp it closes but every other window that's open freezes up and the taskbar disappears. If I use the Task Manager to close it it will close but I also get the standard Windows message,
"The program is not responding. To return to Windows and check the status of the program, click Cancel. If you choose to end the program immediately, you will lose any unsaved data. To end the program, click End Now."

This problem happened very sporadically but since I upgraded 5.08e it happens every time I try to stream something.

I'm on a LAN using WinNT. As far as I can tell my soundcard is a SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio but I could be wrong. I've tried a clean install twice with no success.

Since I'm on a LAN at work I have no idea what sort of firewalls there may be but I do not have this problem with Media Player (haven't tried RealAudio).

Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks,
Iver
iver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2005, 22:10   #2
siebe83
Forum King

Did you install any 3rd-party plugins?
[edit]
I just see you already tried a clean install, so I assume not...
[/edit]

Maybe try unchecking this option:
Prefs (Ctrl+P) > Input > double-click Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder > tab Streaming > 'Enable SHOUTcast title support'
But that's just a wild guess...

Please provide system specs (including a HijackThis log).

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 13:22   #3
iver

here are the specs, etc. for my computer:

Winamp v. 5.08e

Dell Optiplex GX150 computer.

Motherboard: not sure but a post on the Dell forum says

"These are all the GX150 mobo's and they are not chassis specific:

2E933 PWA, Motherboard, GX150, MLK, TUALATIN ONLY (P-III & Celeron)
2H240 PWA, Motherboard, GX150, FOXCONN, MLK, TUALATIN ONLY (P-III & Celeron)
38HRF PWA, Motherboard, 815, 3COM, Network Interface Card/Controllers/Sound
5J890 PWA, Motherboard, GX150, FOXCONN, Coppermine ONLY"

CPU - Intel Pentium III, 1 GHz
RAM - 256 MB
Soundcard - SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio
Videocard - 16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra
Windows OS - 2000
DirectX - 8.1, the DirectX Diagnostic Tool says, "Your soundcard does not support hardware buffering. Sounds will only play back from software buffers."

The only error message associated with the problem is that stated in my previous post (program is not responding...). Note that the task manager says winamp is running after it stops playing music. Once winamp stops I can't do anything with it until I shut it down via the task manager and restart it.

I do get an error message when I insert a cd that may or may not be related. The message is:

"DirectSound output v.2.2.11 error - Error creating DirectSound buffer. Error code: 80070057"

When I click on ok the message goes away but nothing plays. If I then click on a track to play I get the same message. click ok again and then the track starts playing. But when it gets to the next track I get another different error message:

"winamp.exe has generated errors and will be closed by Windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created." I'm assuming the error log is the last entry in the drwtson32 log. If you need me to post that I will.

internet connection type/speed - LAN
filetypes played when the problem occurs - m3u and pls streams, mp3, wmv

internet browser+version - Mozilla Firefox 1.0.3

cd-rom drive make/model - HL-DT-ST CDRW GCE-8080N

firewall details - not a clue, this is an office computer

I installed winamp on a limited user account. I'm not allowed to logon as an administrator.

hijackthis log attached.

Thanks much,
Iver
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (5.8 KB, 306 views)
Old 11th May 2005, 18:22   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Close all browser/email/explorer windows.

In HJT scan results, place a checkmark next to the following entries only,
and click "Fix Checked"

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer,SearchURL = http://www.popupsearches.com/sidesearch.html

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://www.popupsearches.com/sidesearch.html

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://www.popupsearches.com/sidesearch.html

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://www.popupsearches.com/sidesearch.html

R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - _{CA0E28FA-1AFD-4C21-A8DC-70EB5BE2F076} - (no file)
(INFO)

O3 - Toolbar: (no name) - -{12EE7A5E-0674-42F9-A76B-000000004D00} - (no file)
(INFO)

O4 - Startup: startup.txt.lnk = My Documents\startup.txt
(fix if you didn't put this here yourself)

O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://207.188.7.150/28c535e489244ffbc121/netzip/RdxIE601.cab

O16 - DPF: {79849612-A98F-45B8-95E9-4D13C7B6B35C} (Loader2 Control) - http://static.topconverting.com/activex/loader2.ocx

Apart from that... are you using Netware?

O20 - Winlogon Notify: nwprovau - C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\nwprovau.dll

And if you're not using the Remote Admin Service, you should disable this service in the Services Control Panel:

O23 - Service: Remote Administrator Service (r_server) - Unknown owner - c:\winnt\system32\r_server.exe" /service

I also recommend installing & running scans with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware SE
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2005, 19:21   #5
iver

Thanks! I fix checked those items (except for the startup.txt which I put there).

To my knowledge I'm not using Netware but how do I find out?

Ditto the Remote Admin Service - I'm not sure what this is. I do know tech support here in the office can log on to my computer remotely and take control of it. Is that what that is?

I ran Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware SE earlier this morning. Adaware only found 10 cookies, spybot only found the alexis thing that it always finds and won't delete. I'm quite surprised adaware didn't find the surfersidekick stuff as I was infected with that several months ago and it did find it then IIRC.

I'll reboot and try streaming again.

Iver
Old 27th May 2005, 20:36   #6
iver

Well, the problem's still there but now I see it happens with whatever media player I'm using - winamp, WMA, quicktime, it makes no difference. So it's obviously something wrong with my network connection or something.

Thanks for the help anyway.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support