Old 2nd August 2005, 05:02   #1
SVTADAM

help...skipping MP3

I've hunted, searched, and read through a bunch of the forums but havent had too much success in findings answers Im looking for. I hope someone could help me out.
I am new to ripping and buring cds, but am learning fast. This was one big reason to get a new computer too!
I just purchaced winamp 5 pro to speed up my ripping sessions. I have run into a problem. A bunch of the mp3s i ripped now skip on playback.
My encoder settings are as follow:
format: MP3 Encoder v1.2
Options:
Mode: VBR default Joint stereo
VBR min Bitrate: 128
VBR max bitrate: 256
quality: high VBR Q: 2
speed for ripping: unlimited

Now could somone reccomend to me what the ideal setup is for a skipfree playback?
I am looking for between 50-70 MB per CD, so I can burn between 5-10 CDs worth of music onto one disk for my car. I am looking for the highest quality that I can. Something around 128 or so for the bitrate. A friend gave me a disk that sounded awesome and all mp3 bitrates were 128.
Is there anythng else that I should try out or change? Could some of the gurus post what they would reccomend, or what you are using. So many choice combos are making my head spin. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

ADAM
SVTADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2005, 08:18   #2
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Do the mp3s skip in the car as well as on your PC? If not, then it could be driver problems for your soundcard.

Do they skip in both Winamp and media Player?

What happens to mp3s that you download - do they skip too?

If not, try using CDex to rip them? Do they skip then.

If all that fails, please post all system specs here...
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2005, 12:50   #3
SVTADAM

I havent burned a CD with the skipping mp3s yet so I dont know if they would skip in the car. But not all mp3s that i ripped seem to skip. Its more a random thing i guess. Id hate to listen to all my ripped mp3s before i burn them to check for skips that would take half a lifetime.

The ripped mp3 also skips under media player. However the music cd does not have any skips. I played the origional CD with winamp and the first second of that, or any cd, played skips...like a similar post that I read a minute ago.

I dont download any mp3s dont know of any source for free ones...hence I am new to the ripping mp3 creation stuff. i was just sticking to what I had and could borrow form friends.

I will look into CDex to rip. But since I paid for winamp pro, i would like to use that. I was also considering getting an encoder for media player for burning. They are a 10 download, and I dont know the quality of the programs offered. The three possiblities are Sonic, Intervideo INC., & Cyberlink CORP. Which would be the best? Next stop would be Staples or such store to look for another ripping/burning program. I am looking for ease and quality ripping/burning. I tend to get lost in a lot of tech jargin.

Heres my PC specs:
Dell Dimension 8400
microsoft xp home SP 2
512 physical memory
Winamp 5.094 Full

Hope that helps, if there is anything else you may need please let me know. Thanks for the help.

ADAM
Old 2nd August 2005, 18:12   #4
c2R
Stereotype?
(Forum King)

Personally, I use CDex (great freeware ripping program) for ripping, winamp for playing, and Nero to burn CDs (music or data/mp3).

You can find free and legal mp3 downloads from unsigned bands here: http://www.epitonic.com -- try out some of them and see if they skip too.

Apart from that, your make of soundcard would be very helpful--

If you don't know it, see what windows thinks it is...

Start --> Settings --> Control Panel --> System icon --> Hardware Tab --> Device Manager Button

Under "Sound Video and Game Controllers" menu selection it should be listed there - e.g. Creative SB Audigy 2, or Creative Sound Blaster 16... something like that..

Regards
Chris
c2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2005, 03:20   #5
SVTADAM

Ok here you go:
Sound card: Creative SB audigy 2ZS (WDM)
CDR/RW is a samsung CDR/RW SW-252S
Processor: Pentium 3.4Gig

Anything else I can provide that will help just let me know. I just downloaded Cdex, and am going to see about grabbing Nero too. I wont install if i can just "fix" winamp to work for me. I really appreciate your help.

ADAM
Old 3rd August 2005, 11:52   #6
siebe83
Forum King

You also posted in this thread. Have you tried the suggestion there, i.e. disabling the Sonic engine and putting wnaspi32.dll in your Winamp folder. If you do that, Winamp will also use wnaspi32.dll to rip cd's. Maybe you will have more luck with that. The Sonic engine causes problems for some users.

Btw, although probably not related to your skipping issue, for best quality I'd use one of the --alt-presets to encode to mp3.

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2005, 12:31   #7
SVTADAM

I am going to try that if I can figure out exactly how to do it. I went so far as to open the file...but were do i put it and how does it get into the winamp folder?

Also, I tried all the alt presets, and they ripped files that I felt were too big. Most were around 120 MGs. I am looking for around 50-70 MG. I want to limit the number of CDs in my car. Lately there have been a lot of cars getting broken into just to steal CD cases. I would much rather have them get a bunch of burnt MP3s than orrigional CDs if it happens to me.
I do want the best quality for the smallest size possible. Size being 50-70 MG.

Thanks.
Old 4th August 2005, 09:26   #8
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by SVTADAM
I am going to try that if I can figure out exactly how to do it. I went so far as to open the file...but were do i put it and how does it get into the winamp folder?
Maybe the instructions DJ Egg posted here are more clear?
You don't need to open the file. If you click it, it should ask you where to save it. Point to the Winamp folder:
C:\Program Files\Winamp
If it doesn't ask you where to save it, right-click it > Save as...

Quote:
Also, I tried all the alt presets, and they ripped files that I felt were too big. Most were around 120 MGs. I am looking for around 50-70 MG. I want to limit the number of CDs in my car. Lately there have been a lot of cars getting broken into just to steal CD cases. I would much rather have them get a bunch of burnt MP3s than orrigional CDs if it happens to me.
I do want the best quality for the smallest size possible. Size being 50-70 MG.
As far as I know you'll still get better quality with the alt-preset, even when you lower the max bitrate.
Eg. select --alt-preset standard and then set max bitrate to 192kbps. But I don't know exactly what settings will get you 50-70 MB. It really depends on the length of an album. If you have an album of 40 minutes, encoding at a constant bitrate of eg. 128 will take up 40 MB and an album of 75 minutes will take 70 MB (approximately).

Old 4th August 2005, 13:44   #9
SVTADAM

I will read those instructions when i get out of work today. When I went to "install" wnaspi32.dll my security software sent up all kinds of bells and whistles. So I chickened out. New computer and all...dont wnat to mess it up. Hopefully the link is more clear. Thanks.

Ok great info on the alt presets. I wasnt sure if it was wise to mess with the settings since they are preset for a reason. I will have to check that out. Thanks.
Old 4th August 2005, 15:30   #10
ujay
Forum King

You'll usually get around 7:1 compression with alt preset standard. It's not a fixed ratio and varies with the musical content.
This works out to around 8 hrs of music on a standard size CD.

The 128kbps CBR setting that siebe mentioned will give around 12 hrs.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2005, 21:31   #11
SVTADAM

I tried th CBR setting and was told by the friend that VBR was the way to go. I listened to him. I think I will try that out too. I see there is an alt preset CBR too. That locks it into 128 bitrate. Either way will experiment threre.
NOw for the wnaspi32.dll install...I keep getting warnings alll over for its install. I am not sure I am putting it in the right place. I saved it to the winamp folder on my harddrive (in thre program files...it asked me to open it, and thats when I get all the warnings. Do I open it there? There is also PXSDKPLS.dll there too. Will that cause any conflicts? There is also a folder for plugins. I feel
Old 4th August 2005, 23:48   #12
siebe83
Forum King

You don't need to open it. All you have to do is making sure that the file is in the Winamp folder. PXSDKPLS.dll is in that folder too, that's correct. That won't be a problem.

Winamp will find the file automatically (when it's in the Winamp folder) and it will use it when you start ripping (or listening) cd's. At least, when 'Use Sonic engine' is not checked in the preferences.

It's all a bit confusing, and hopefully all this won't be necessary in the next Winamp version (the Sonic engine will be updated and will hopefully work better).

Old 5th August 2005, 03:59   #13
SVTADAM

Cool glad to hear...then I did it right. Cause its there. Now just need to try and see if it works better for me. I will post later to let you know. Thank you so much for your help siebe83. I appreciate it alot.
Old 5th August 2005, 23:59   #14
SVTADAM

Ok just an update. Seems to be ripping finejust a little slower than before. I am using alt preset standard. First tried alt preset standard and put max bitrae to 192. Sounded fine. Now am trying the max bitrate to 224. No skipping so far. & burned to a 59 MG file. Awesome. Thanks everyone!!

Last edited by SVTADAM; 6th August 2005 at 00:31.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support