Old 18th May 2003, 02:36   #1
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Hip-Hop samples

Anyone know any good sites for samples? (mainly hip-hop since a friend wants me to make him somthing)..
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2003, 04:10   #2
SNYder
Forum King

for actual good samples, you need to pay. but if actual quality isn't your top concern, well you can scavange through google to find sites that offer samples for free. but most sampling sites offer only electronic based samples that work better in dance and techno.

BIOTCH!
SNYder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2003, 04:18   #3
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Well, it was worth trying. Know any cheap ones?
Old 18th May 2003, 05:57   #4
lemon_chicken
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to lemon_chicken
im not sure what type you want - but i find i can sample most things straight off the song it is used in, just find where they appear by themselves in the music.

hehe - i really wanna use the bit at the end of "People Under The Stairs - 43 labels i like" someday

[edit]obviously you are supposed to clear it though[/edit]

|arbitary focus| it's never as flaccid as it is when plucked | 01110011 01100101 01111000 |
lemon_chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2003, 06:07   #5
SNYder
Forum King

I wouldn't give up on the freebee's quiet yet. It might take a while, and the majority of the samples found wont be in good enough shape to just use and leave be, but you could definetly get a half decent collection going. I've gone through this process before and have made bad to average to near professional sounding rap instumentals outa all freebee samples, so it can be done, but it requires a lot of work since some samples are in bad condition and the majority need EQ adjustments, if not more alterations.

But still, the best way is to just buy Sample CD's that come loaded with reliable good quality worth while samples. But these CD's range anywhere in price from 20 to 200+ dollars a piece, depending on who you buy and what's on the CD.
Old 18th May 2003, 06:41   #6
SNYder
Forum King

When it comes to hardware samplers, it doesn't get much better then the Akai MPC2000XL. It really did help define hip-hop, and for a good reason, even today, it roolz. Although kinda old now, it is still regularly used, so much so that you will probably recognize it when you see it, even if you have no idea what a sampler is. Hell, if you've seen any Linkin Park video, you've seen it.

The next step up would have to be the more recently released Akai MPC4000. Along with it supporting 24bit 96kHz it boasts a lot of improvements/changes. But it cost more and is much larger since it integrated it's own multitrack recording studio, which I wasn't all too happy about since the unit then looses its portability and live show appeal, but none the less, the sampler part of it is still the classic it has always been, and more.

Here's what ya'll should get, if you got the money of course.

Akai MPC2000XL Studio Plus ($1,599.95)

(note: the "Studio Plus" in the MPC2000XL's name is important. Make sure you get that one. it's added features are important)

To add a zip drive get this handy akai approved add on.

Akai 100MB ZIP Drive - Installation help

Then go pick up an Iomega 100MB or 250MB zip drive for your computer, buy some sample CD's, transfer the files you want to use to a 100MB zip disk, and use them in your MPC2000XL

Last edited by SNYder; 18th May 2003 at 07:04.
Old 18th May 2003, 07:07   #7
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Is it the little keypad looking thing Joe is slamming on?

(yes it is)
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions