Old 4th August 2005, 05:51   #1
drawlledu

Line In Recording

Can anyone please tell me how to configure the line in plug in for Winamp 5? To briefly explain, I am interested in recording speeches utilizing the mic jack for my computer and later burning them to a cd for distribution to other parties. I did search the forums and was unable to find the answer that I need. I have used the free version of Winamp for years to listen to music, and am finding that the functionality is better than Windows Media Player.

I have used Real Player to record speeches in the past with no problem. Hopefully Winamp is just as simple. I may need baby steps to configure the plug in.

Any and all information will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
drawlledu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2005, 11:20   #2
JonnyMac

RE: Recording to WAV or MP3 via the Line-in / microphone:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=31003 [mp3]
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=26533 [wav]
Note: Recording will be continuous, not like a diction machine where you can automatically or manually pause & resume.

[edit] Actually I may have lied. I just tried using the [wav] method and the pause button did work correctly for me when it was pressed. So, a manual pause & resume does seem to work. [/edit]

Just as a FYI, there are also other "stand alone" programs to record via line-in...Note: The above programs are not associated with Nullsoft/Winamp

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2005, 14:29   #3
drawlledu

JohnnyMac, first thanks for the help. The information was very helpful, but now I seem to be having a problem with the playback. I noticed that when I saved the file, it was saved as a wma, but will not play with the windows media player. I do not hear any sound when I play with winamp. I configured the output .dll for my soundcard. I don't mean to burden you, but what could I be doing wrong. Thanks again.
Old 4th August 2005, 15:14   #4
JonnyMac

Which method are you using, the [wav] method? Do you want your files saved as WAV instead of WMA? If so, you will need to change the output settings in the DiskWriter plug-in...[list=1][*]Winamp > Ctrl+P[*]Plug-ins > Output[*]double click 'Nullsoft Disk Writer plug-in'[*]either uncheck 'Convert to format' or leave it checkmarked > click the ellipsis button [...] and select the default output as show in the screenshot.[/list=1]Note: WAVe files take a good amount of space, so you may want to try the [mp3] method. Or, if your computer has a MP3 Codec that is capable of encoding, you might find MP3 listed as one of the formats in the Disk Writer format option (after clicking the ellipsis button). I have not tried the [mp3] method.

[edit] Something else to consider. In the Sound Selection box (see screenshot), if you select 'Radio' or 'Telephone' quality (WAV format) that will reduce the amount of space for WAV files. If you are recording voice only, you do not need much "quality". [/edit]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diskwrite_option.jpg (37.7 KB, 353 views)
Old 4th August 2005, 21:33   #5
drawlledu

Well, I guess that I am doing something wrong because I can't find the file after I do a test recording. I can see the meters move when I am recording, so I assume that I am actually recording. Maybe I'm not. How do I actually save the file after I am finished recording?

Also, when I am utilizing the disk writer plug I am unable to hear any file when using Winamp. Again, I can't find a recorded file. I configured th dw plug in to send the file to the my music folder in my documents folder. I don't see any unusual looking files.

Are there any other plug ins that I should consider downloading? Thanks again for the help.
Old 5th August 2005, 01:33   #6
JonnyMac

When you are recording you will not hear anything because the sound is being saved as a file instead of the sound going to the soundcard. This file is being saved in "real time" as you are recording so there is no Save Dialogue box after the process.

As far as the file not showing up, I am not sure of why that is occurring. Try a search for a file beginning with 00#_Line-In (where # represents a number, most likely 1). There may be more that one My Documents on your drive, especially if you are on a multi-user/account computer. So make sure the DiskWriter is set to the correct My Documents or you are looking in the correct one.

Something else that is important to mention, only because people tend to forget this very easily. Remember to change back the regular output plug-in before playing back the file. Usually DirectSound is suggested for WinXP or Win2000 and waveOut for Win 9x, ME or NT4 .
Old 5th August 2005, 04:56   #7
drawlledu

I have conducted a search of my computer and could only find the DJ Mike Llama file, so I can only conclude that I am not actually recording. I have configured the Disk Writer to send the files to all of the My Documents folders, as well as to the desktop, to no avail. I am now at my wits end! What am i missing?
Old 5th August 2005, 15:32   #8
JonnyMac

Which method are you using, [mp3] or [wav]? Either way I don't know why the file is not being saved. Anyone else??

Winamp was not designed as a recorder, which is why recoding with Winamp is so round about.

Rather than using Winamp, I would suggest using CDex. Simpler and more straight forward than recording with Winamp. In CDex...
Tools > Record from Analog Input > set your preferred options > 'Record' button to start recording > 'Stop' button to Stop
You can also use the Pause button to pause and resume.

A mentioned in the previous thread CDex is not associated with Nullsoft/Winamp. This is a personal suggestion and not an endorsement.
Old 6th August 2005, 07:05   #9
drawlledu

JohnnyMac, I really do appreciate all that you have done. I will try to utilize some of the alternatives. Would you happen to know if any of the powers that be are working to improve the line in plug in.? Once again, thanks for the effort.
Old 7th August 2005, 02:07   #10
JonnyMac

You're welcome

Which line-in plug-plug-in are you talking about? If you are talking about the suggested alternative (from DJ Egg's how-to post) Jasper's LineIn Plug-in, that is a third party plug-in and development is up to Jasper.

If you are talking about Winamp's default (prepackaged) line-in plug-in the answer would be, (as far as I know) there is no further development. There is not the staff or resources and what staff there is at Nullsoft are working on more important Winamp stuff. What do you mean by improve?
Old 8th August 2005, 21:03   #11
drawlledu

I certainly hope that you were not offended by my question. What I meant by improve was with specific regard to the line in plug in, maybe making it easier for people like me to use. If Jasper's LineIn Plug-in is easier I will certianly use it. If I knew how to create such a plug in I would, especially since my interest is recording live speeches, sermons, etc. My ultimate goal is to utilize one program to record, edit, and burn for distribution.

I have compared Winamp Pro, Real Player Plus, and Windows Media Player. Of the three, Real Player has an edge simply because the line in recording is simple. However, I am more impressed with the features Winamp overall.

I think that I would be totally satisfied if I did not have the file location problem. I am going to continue to work on that issue. Whatever I find, I will submit to you. Thanks again.
Old 9th August 2005, 02:30   #12
JonnyMac

Don't worry, no offense taken. I was not 100% sure of what you meant by “improve the line in plug in”. Someone's idea of improving the plug-in may not be the same of another. I was just curious.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion