Old 28th July 2010, 20:51   #1
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
crazy artwork behavior when rating files

i have edited the ini to write ratings to the file.

i have a 3 pane arrangement. albumartist sorting in top left, large icon album art in the top right, tracks listed in the third bottom pane, also sorted by AA.

the behavior SEEMS to depend on how many albums you have under a given AA tag. (i don't know what the threshold is, or if it depends on how many albums you can see in the top right pane at a given time)

so if you only have one album under a given AA tag, you will NOT [clearly] see the odd behavior.

however, if you have say, 142 albums under a given AA tag, as i do for "Soundtrack (Film)" and you highlight that tag in the left top pane, and then highlight an album in the top right, and then play and rate a song, ALL the albums disappear from the top right, EXCEPT the one you rated a song on.

annoying.

in addition, even if you don't pick an album in the top right pane, but merely scroll down the track list in the bottom pane (for all the albums) and then you rate a track, it rates it, but afterwards it takes you back to the top of the list.

i consider the first thing a genuine bug, and the second thing undesired behavior at the very least.

Egg, please respond with your thoughts, and if the Devs intend to correct this.

thx!

ps. in both cases, the rating is made in the bottom pane, not at the top of the app where the file info/equalizer, etc... box is. i'm in Bento too btw.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing

Last edited by MrSinatra; 28th July 2010 at 20:59. Reason: add the PS.
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2010, 17:57   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hmm, I can't reproduce the problem. Anyone else?
(step-by-step method please)
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 02:12   #3
MrSinatra
Forum King

well i thought i did that, but i will type even slower this time...

ok, lets handle this as two separate issues in two separate posts, but the config is the same:

5.581 bento
ratings write to mp3 files (popm)
3 panes
top left pane: sorted by albumartist
top right pane: large ICON album art
bottom pane: list of tracks (also sorted by AA)

first issue:

1. highlight in the top left pane ANY albumartist that has TWO or more albums.
2. highlight one of their albums in the top right large icon artwork pane.
3. you should now see ONLY that albums tracks in the bottom pane.
4. rate one of the tracks via the ratings column IN THE BOTTOM PANE, ie. rate it there, do not rate it elsewhere!
5. watch all the other albums DISAPPEAR from the top right large icon pane.

so, number 5 is the problem.

this doesn't happen when you say, edit the tracks metadata, so why should it happen here? it doesn't make sense, there's no reason or desire for this to happen.

--
Old 30th July 2010, 02:19   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

same config as above.

second issue:

1. highlight "All (### album artists)" in the top left pane.
2. leave the top right pane unmolested.
3. scroll down a few hundred or thousand tracks or whatever in the bottom pane.
4. rate a track IN THE BOTTOM PANE's rating column.
5. the bottom pane will "refresh" or "rescan" and put you ALL the way back up to the top of the list in the bottom pane, which is a real P.I.T.A.

so number 5 is the problem.

and it happens on any AA with a big list of tracks, i just picked "All albumartists" in step 1 to illustrate the issue.

---

having said all that, i want to thank you Egg, and the other very fine dev folks at winamp, for the work done to include ratings in a files tag. its what i have been waiting for. thanks!

--
Old 30th July 2010, 13:54   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

>> 4. rate one of the tracks via the ratings column IN THE BOTTOM PANE, ie. rate it there, do not rate it elsewhere!

That was the important step. I was just using "rt-click -> rate items" instead.

I can repro #2 (not sure if that's expected behaviour, although I agree that it's undesirable)
but I still can't repro #1.
Anyone else?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 14:41   #6
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
I can repro #2 (not sure if that's expected behaviour, although I agree that it's undesirable)
that's just how that mode is working - its the lesser of two evils as otherwise nothing gets refreshed and the views appear out of sync. basically most of the ml pane handling needs to be removed / fixed to allow better updating between the panes. the losing of the selection / position is just what happens when a pane is refreshed and is the same 'bug' report which has been posted elsewhere about that though the code is doing exactly as its coded to do so it's a feature request / annoyance than a true bug.

as for #1, it's probably related with the stored query for the pane getting out of sync due to the other changes (though it could just be the general crappyness of the cross-pane handling again).

either way, i don't envy someone trying to fix these issues (as it looks like my attempts in the lead up to 5.58x with other tweaks/fixes of the rating handling seems to have caused more issues). possibly it's time for a start-over of ml_local especially with its view handling.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2010, 19:30   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
>> 4. rate one of the tracks via the ratings column IN THE BOTTOM PANE, ie. rate it there, do not rate it elsewhere!

That was the important step. I was just using "rt-click -> rate items" instead.

but I still can't repro #1.
Anyone else?
Egg,

no right clicks to my steps.

i can reproduce issue #1 every single time! are you sure you aren't skipping the second step? are you using large icon artwork? you have to highlight an album in the art pane, then rate a track via the ratings column in the bottom pane. as long as the AA has two or more albums, the other albums will disappear.

DrO, can you reproduce it? i don't see how i can do it everytime without fail but you guys can't?

--
Old 30th July 2010, 19:46   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

thx for responding, see below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
that's just how that mode is working - its the lesser of two evils as otherwise nothing gets refreshed and the views appear out of sync.
i'm not sure what you're talking about, or which issue you mean?

but for issue two, there is no reason for things to "rescan" b/c other than the track you are actually rating in the bottom pane column, there is nothing else that needs updated, at least not in my config above. the new rating on the given track[s] would display without the rescan, so i think what its doing is the greater of two evils, not the lesser.

Quote:
basically most of the ml pane handling needs to be removed / fixed to allow better updating between the panes. the losing of the selection / position is just what happens when a pane is refreshed and is the same 'bug' report which has been posted elsewhere about that though the code is doing exactly as its coded to do so it's a feature request / annoyance than a true bug.
yes, issue 2 is probably just undesired behavior, but its VERY undesired.

Quote:
as for #1, it's probably related with the stored query for the pane getting out of sync due to the other changes (though it could just be the general crappyness of the cross-pane handling again).

either way, i don't envy someone trying to fix these issues (as it looks like my attempts in the lead up to 5.58x with other tweaks/fixes of the rating handling seems to have caused more issues). possibly it's time for a start-over of ml_local especially with its view handling.

-daz
can you reproduce #1? if you can, why can't Egg?

and yes, i think #1 is a genuine bug. there's no way an action in the bottom pane should control what art is displayed in the top right pane, nor should it over-ride what you've chosen in the top left pane.

i'm no dev, but i agree that its prob time to hammer out all these ML issues.

--
Old 30th July 2010, 21:40   #9
DrO

i probably have come across the issue when i did some ratings stuff 2 months ago but i'm not too interested in trying to reproduce issues as i know the stuff is all a complete mess and trying to reproduce somethings is either not going to be simple (race-conditions. locations of plug-ins in the Winamp memory space being different, OS effects) or just not worth the time when there's not the means to work on a fix.

the internal workings involves changes in one pane having to be reflected back into the other ones and that is what causes refreshes of things to occur as just sending a paint event doesn't work correctly in most cases. also there are race-conditions in the code which are a pain to track down and are part of the cause of the view contents disappearing and would explain why you see it and others don't.

either way without developer resources nothing is going to progress on the matter, sad considering so many parts of the player are buggy but there's a complete lack of interest / means from the official developers to work on such things so i'd expect this to be something that'll just keep going on like the quirky things kn0tte reports or all of the other bugs that need to be ironed out rather than pointless online services stuff for example.

-daz
Old 30th July 2010, 21:50   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

thx for those comments, i agree with them.

but can you take a moment to reproduce issue #1, if only to confirm to Egg what i am saying? its not an intermittent issue, it should apply to EVERYONE at all times. (in other words, it won't be a case where some see it and some don't, if they follow my steps to reproduce correctly)

thx!

--
Old 31st July 2010, 11:31   #11
DrO

i just don't have the time to attempt reproduce such issues, sorry.

-daz
Old 11th August 2010, 22:13   #12
Kn0tte
Major Dude

Okay, #1 reproduced!

Screenshot: http://stashbox.org/974136/Winamp_Bu...atingFiles.jpg

In the top left pane you can see that my Album Artist (ACDC) has 8 albums. In the top right pane I highlighted their album "Black Ice", and then in the bottom big pane I rated one of the tracks of that album. Once I did that the rest of the albums disappeared from the top right pane. You can see that by looking at it, look also at the slider..
Kn0tte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2010, 02:28   #13
ujay
Forum King

Happens consistently here if an album is selected in top right and rating is made from the column at bottom.

Icon size/Details is irrelevent.

[additional] to be more exact, rating will remove all albums from the top right except those selected.

I'm losing track of the number of errors in this view, though this is a different class from the majority in that it operates over all Album views, not just Art views.

UJ
ujay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2010, 04:46   #14
MrSinatra
Forum King

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=323656

sounds like the same thing.

--
Old 20th November 2010, 19:17   #15
MrSinatra
Forum King

and again:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=323597

--
Old 20th November 2010, 22:01   #16
DrO

and again it's already said it's known about (and logged) but it's low on the list due to the work involved when focus is on other areas (Android > * at the moment).

DJ Egg has suggested the best workaround which ironically is what was fixed that led to the issue becoming more obvious than it already was. or maybe it's just the gods of computing punishing people for rating files, heh.

-daz
Old 20th November 2010, 22:15   #17
MrSinatra
Forum King

i'm a glutton for punishment.

i just like to track the things i follow, when i see them mentioned again by someone new. its a way of showing that its not just the reporter who finds the issue. on SBS users can actually use the bugzilla system, and vote on the bugs, this is kind of a poor mans way to do the same.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Tags
artwork, ratings