Old 16th September 2013, 07:51   #1
theweasel68

Stream WinAmp to HiFi via WiFi & DLNA

Hi Guys from WinAmps,

I have been a Jriver Media Center-user for a couple of years, but looking for a better auto-playlist feature, which I think, I have found with your "Playlist Generator".

However, what I just found out is that it is not possible to stream media with WinAmp to other DLNA-devices - I couldnt believe this, as WinAmp is so feature-rich, and DLNA I see already as a basic feature, which is also supported by many other players! Or are you all listening to your music on your PC-loudspeakers only, or with 5m long cables through your living rooms? C´mon, are you kidding me?

Is there any plan that WinAmp will support playing media to DLNA-devices via WiFi in the near future? I think this would be an essential enhancement!!

Thanks
theweasel68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 09:39   #2
DrO

there have been plans to implement renderer support (which would allow what you want) but its not been begun and is no eta on when it'll happen. and due to the nstur of the time and work needed it'd probably be something to consider as being a pro feature.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 14:48   #3
theweasel68

Thanks for your quick info. A pity that it is not under development yet, but at least good to hear that it is "on the radar"

This would definitely be a reason for me to buy a PRO-version, in the meantime seems I need to stick to Jriver or MediaMonkey...

Thx
Old 16th September 2013, 15:06   #4
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
should it be a Pro feature? I suppose, but really I think with so many free options out there, i'm not sure that makes sense.

imo, if others offer it for free, winamp should too, and THEN what it should do is develop features and so on that others don't offer, either at all or at least for free.

anyway, weasel, search all the winamp forums for DLNA and you will find some 3rd party plugins that attempt to add some DLNA capabilities.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2013, 15:22   #5
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
search all the winamp forums for DLNA and you will find some 3rd party plugins that attempt to add some DLNA capabilities.
those 3rd party plug-ins don't act as renderers which is what is needed for this request - they just allow for accessing other providers (when those plug-ins even work).

Quote:
should it be a Pro feature? I suppose, but really I think with so many free options out there, i'm not sure that makes sense.
it's a a feature which fits in with what the pro version is about and with the investment to develop and support it, something has to be done to recoup that investment. sure in an ideal world it could be given away for free but then how do we pay the bills when other parts of the pro features are less relevant? more ads and even in parts of the main player (i.e. not just the online pages) ? more crap in the installer?
Old 16th September 2013, 16:04   #6
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
those 3rd party plug-ins don't act as renderers which is what is needed for this request - they just allow for accessing other providers (when those plug-ins even work).
I don't follow. why do the plugins need to operate as renderers for this request?

my understanding is that the "DLNA Renderers" are the actual devices (or software) that allows for the dlna playback of whatever.

it seems clear to me that he wants to use winamp as the dlna server and possibly the dlna controller to play stuff on his stereo, aka his dlna renderer.

i can't recall exactly, but i thought at least some of the dlna plugins attempted to make winamp stuff available to renderers. i don't think the OP is looking for a plugin to make winamp itself the renderer, and i don't think i have seen any plugin that attempts to make winamp itself a renderer.

i can't speak to how good any of the attempts at dlna plugins are. its prob fair to say the OP shouldn't expect a polished exp tho.

Quote:
it's a a feature which fits in with what the pro version is about and with the investment to develop and support it, something has to be done to recoup that investment. sure in an ideal world it could be given away for free but then how do we pay the bills when other parts of the pro features are less relevant? more ads and even in parts of the main player (i.e. not just the online pages) ? more crap in the installer?
that's exactly the response i anticipated and tried to pre-emptively address when i said this:

Quote:
...what it should do is develop features and so on that others don't offer, either at all or at least for free.
just to be clear, what i am saying is that if someone else offers x y or z for free, winamp should too. only those features that others don't offer, or don't offer for free, should be covered by pro, imo.

--
Old 16th September 2013, 17:29   #7
theweasel68

Hi Sinatra,

my target is to use WinAmp as my music controller, and WinAmp shall be able to stream media to other devices like my WDTV Live, which is connected to my 17 years old "analog" HiFi, or directly to my DLNA certified TV. I have searched the forum first - as you say, there are some plugins available, but they either are not covering the scenario as described above, or the quality/functionality seems to be very questionable and the support of the plugin for the latest WinAmp version is unclear.

I think DLNA should definitely be a "core function" of the WinAmp-player, it is too important to just leave it to the community and wait, if someone comes up with a quality plugin, and then also maintains it well over the years... Unfortunately, there´s a lot of plugin stuff, which is not compatible with the latest WinAmp anymore.

Paywise: I think it would be more than fair, if this a PRO version-feature, and 20USD is more than fair for some great software like WinAmp. Other players in the same feature range cost even more.

In my humble opinion, the current business modell of PRO is outdated anyway, as the major diferentiator is the burning/ripping function. In 2013 - who is still buying CDs unless you are a classical music audiophile maybe? I buy online, the last CD I bought is years ago. I have nothing to rip anymore. Burning - well, a USB stick makes it well, and otherwise: welcome to the world of Dropbox, etc.

So probably to justify the price for a PRO version, added features like DLNA will justify it again...

I think many have the same situation, however, I am not talking for the market of course. Just my 2 Cents
Old 17th September 2013, 01:46   #8
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweasel68 View Post
Hi Sinatra,

my target is to use WinAmp as my music controller, and WinAmp shall be able to stream media to other devices like my WDTV Live, which is connected to my 17 years old "analog" HiFi, or directly to my DLNA certified TV.
that's what I thought, which is why I didn't understand DrO's response.

just be aware that DLNA consists of three main parts: a server, a controller, and a renderer. I would like to see winamp do all 3, but def the first two.

Quote:
I have searched the forum first - as you say, there are some plugins available, but they either are not covering the scenario as described above, or the quality/functionality seems to be very questionable and the support of the plugin for the latest WinAmp version is unclear.
yeah, although I thought there was one that worked with at least some hardware, but I forget now.

I would suggest finding something like twonky or mediamonkey or FB2K or squeezebox server to do the DLNA backend, or maybe even your router.

Quote:
I think DLNA should definitely be a "core function" of the WinAmp-player, it is too important to just leave it to the community and wait, if someone comes up with a quality plugin, and then also maintains it well over the years... Unfortunately, there´s a lot of plugin stuff, which is not compatible with the latest WinAmp anymore.

Paywise: I think it would be more than fair, if this a PRO version-feature, and 20USD is more than fair for some great software like WinAmp. Other players in the same feature range cost even more.

In my humble opinion, the current business modell of PRO is outdated anyway, as the major diferentiator is the burning/ripping function. In 2013 - who is still buying CDs unless you are a classical music audiophile maybe? I buy online, the last CD I bought is years ago. I have nothing to rip anymore. Burning - well, a USB stick makes it well, and otherwise: welcome to the world of Dropbox, etc.

So probably to justify the price for a PRO version, added features like DLNA will justify it again...

I think many have the same situation, however, I am not talking for the market of course. Just my 2 Cents
I guess my point is that there are free DLNA solutions so why would you pay for one?

i'm willing to pay too, but only for that which I can't get elsewhere for free.

--
Old 17th September 2013, 02:01   #9
DrO

Quote:
that's what I thought, which is why I didn't understand DrO's response.

just be aware that DLNA consists of three main parts: a server, a controller, and a renderer. I would like to see winamp do all 3, but def the first two.
so i got it the wrong way round, give me a bloody break.

Quote:
I guess my point is that there are free DLNA solutions so why would you pay for one?

i'm willing to pay too, but only for that which I can't get elsewhere for free.
then use the free options and forget about Winamp as clearly it doesn't fit your over exacting needs since you keep telling everyone else to use MediaMonkey, foobar2000 and whatever else is taking your fancy.
Old 17th September 2013, 06:09   #10
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
so i got it the wrong way round, give me a bloody break.
you're being "overly sensitive" DrO, relax. I wasn't attacking you, I was just making sure the OP got the best answer possible, and if I was wrong myself, i'd want to know that too.

its no big deal to make a mistake; I've done it plenty of times on here.

Quote:
then use the free options and forget about Winamp as clearly it doesn't fit your over exacting needs since you keep telling everyone else to use MediaMonkey, foobar2000 and whatever else is taking your fancy.
my over exacting needs? just to be clear, I am only telling people to use this or that to do DLNA, which is something winamp doesn't attempt to do at all. whats the beef w/that? (i'm not sure they all do either, but I think some can via plugin?)

me doing that is hardly unique; I have seen you and Egg, etc many times tell people that perhaps they should use this or that or whatever fits yours or theirs fancy when they have some issue with winamp.

personally, winamp fits my needs very well. yes, I would like to see it continue to improve and so on, but I would not switch to MM or FB2K or whatever as my primary audio player, unless something drastic were to happen, which is very unlikely. I am probably responsible for turning hundreds of people on to winamp, thru various channels, over the years, its still my fave player.

--
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist