Old 8th May 2006, 15:12   #1
qbk_skinmaker

Winamp 5.21 playlist bug (MP3-ID reading)

Bug in MP3-ID tag reading! (WA 5.21)

Hi guys. I am writing because I found a small bug in Winamp 5.21 build 497 (I think it's a bug cause I don't suppose you wanted it to happen

The problem is that in some cases when I change MP3 file ID tag, I have some strange results.
I changed file tags (both, IDv1 and IDv2) TITLE and ARTIST fields. However, it not resulted in playlist entry display. I mean that despite the fact the file was really changed (the file wasn't read-only of course new tags were present in 'View file info' menu, I also opened file in Notepad ), in Winamp playlist the old entry was still written.

I tried many tactics:
1) to delete file from playlist and re-add it
2) reboot my computer
but in both cases I also received old tag! I don't know where did Winamp take it from

So, I launched 'WINAMP PREFERENCES' menu. I changed metadata reading settings, but it wasn't it. Only when I turned off 'Use advanced title formatting when possible', Winamp displayed correct, new tag. But to my surprise, after turning on that option, the old tag came back

Then, in desperation, I changed file location, moving it to another disk. I added file and, fortunately, new tag was displayed. Then I was changing it in many different ways and each time I received good results - immediate change in playlist.
Of course, when I returned it to previous location, the problem came back. Also when I moved that magic file 'X' somewhere and saved another file 'Y' with the name 'X', I got that magic old tag info The bad tag was present in playlist and both scrollers.

The problem happens randomly, on random files and I can't tell you more. As I wrote, sometimes everything works properly.
Eh, one thing: I didn't install Winamp 5.21 as new, but after having Winamp 5.14. But it's probably meaningless.

I hope my suggestions will help you developing Winamp. Thanks for that player!
Jakub "qBK" Gieryluk, Poland
qbk_skinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2006, 15:23   #2
siebe83
Forum King

Hi,

is that file in the Media Library database? Winamp will look in the ML database and if the file is in there, it uses the info from there. So if the info in the ML is wrong, it will display the wrong info in the playlist editor, regardless of any ID3-tags.

If that's indeed the case, try rescanning:
Media Library: Library button > Rescan watch folders

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2006, 15:45   #3
qbk_skinmaker

Yeah, it was just as you wrote. I rescanned watch folders and now it works properly. But I have lots of files in ML and usually I don't have any problems with changing ID3 tags.

Thx and greetz!
qbk_skinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 01:30   #4
bluejay99

I am an mp3tag v2.32a user, and this seemed to be the answer to why winamp killed my id3v2 tags. Well, not killed. They were still there in winamp, but were not viewable with any other program.

(for those who aren't familiar with mp3tag v2.32a -- it is a program which allows you to do mass editing of id3 tags, an absolute must when you have a huge collection of files. There is also a program called mp3tag studio 3, but I am not as familiar with it.)

When I'd make a change in winamp itself as per usual, then start my mp3tag program, the tag in question would show up blank. The file was still there -- just no tag.

I thought all I had to do was to re-scan the Media Library each time I either changed id3 tags in Winamp itself, or used the Media Library to change the tags. But this re-scanning did not work. In the mp3tag program, the file was still there, but the tag showed completely blank.

I even experimented with editing a tag in mp3tag, then opening that file in winamp and making a slight change. Sure enough, a rescan of the folder in mp3tag showed that file's tag had become completely invisible to the mp3tag program.

I removed all of the files from the Media Library, and turned the Media Library off. It still happened. Change an id3v2 tag in winamp, the tag disappeared in my mp3tag program. I uninstalled and reinstalled Winamp 5.21, and it is still happening. I may reinstall an older winamp before I am through.

Last edited by bluejay99; 17th May 2006 at 02:56.
bluejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 11:27   #5
siebe83
Forum King

Probably has to do with the encoding the latest Winamp versions use to write tags. If I recall correctly, Winamp now follows the official ID3 standards for writing tags, however other tagging applications may not be able to read those.

In the next Winamp version there will an option to change the encoding used by Winamp to write tags.

If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2006, 16:10   #6
bluejay99

Makes sense

I used id3tag-it last night and it read the tags I created in winamp 5.21 without problems -- Although I have been using 5.21 since it came out, and often edit the id3 tags in winamp rather than mp3tag, and never had this problem before I started using the media library -- so I still think there must be some connection.

Thanks.
bluejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support