Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 8th May 2016, 15:35   #561
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post

I'm glad that I finally could replace the old version.
This a good base for future. I already have a lot of ideas for upcoming release.
The recent posts in the Winamp News thread concerning the possible v5.8 are depressing. But 'it's not over 'til it's over'.

Care to provide a few hints on what you're thinking about?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 15:47   #562
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I talked about replacing the old Backup Tool v1x/v2.x

v1.x has a lot of (GUI) glitches and only backs up to a fixed folder.

v2.x implemented zip support, but except of the zip support mega change it is still the same like 1.x.

3.0 impoves tons of stuff, fixes a lot of issues, de-bloated the GUI, improved the internal handling, improved the source code, provides real log files and is what my original vision for 1.x was.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2016, 16:24   #563
Aminifu
Forum King

Yes, this I know and I agree that 3.0 is a big step up.

You implied in post #575 that even more was coming. I was asking for some hints on what the more may be.

Old 8th May 2016, 17:45   #564
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

It started with 3.1 and the ability to manage (delete) backup and log files and create multiple log files (but that was your suggestion, hehe).

I'm still planing other features, the good thing is that the current code base allows me to realize new stuff which is in my mind.
Old 9th May 2016, 07:10   #565
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
It started with 3.1 and the ability to manage (delete) backup and log files and create multiple log files (but that was your suggestion, hehe).

Well that feature grew from ryerman's comments, I just suggested a way to get part of it done. You did all the coding.

Anyway the BT now seems pretty much feature complete to me (other than supporting additional popular 3rd party stuff when requested). It will be interesting to see what else you come up with.

Old 9th May 2016, 13:42   #566
Aminifu
Forum King

I just tried an automatic backup with v3.1.0.2034. The archive was created successfully but the backup log contains some strange task entries where nothing was backed up. From the descriptions in the task column, some of them appear to be unnecessary duplicate attempts to repeat a file backup and others appear to be attempting to backup items for the wrong section.

It's a bit surprising for a beta this far along. First time seeing log errors like this. Log attached below. I hope it's something simple to fix.

Attachment 52386

Old 9th May 2016, 14:00   #567
ryerman
Major Dude

Hi Aminifu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
I just tried an automatic backup with v3.1.0.2034.
Try again with v3.1.0.2036, which I just downloaded from post #588.
Maybe Koopa fixed something.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2016, 14:39   #568
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryerman View Post
Hi Aminifu

Try again with v3.1.0.2036, which I just downloaded from post #588.
Maybe Koopa fixed something.
Hi ryerman,

Thank you for the 'heads up'. Upgrading to the current release (Build 2036, as of this post) fixed all the log issues I saw, except for the pending resolution of the 0 length file reporting issue in my configuration.

I think Koopa tried to sneak an unannounced release pass us. He's tried it before.

Although I would have sworn that there used to be a comment in post #588 that said (in effect) that the link would be to the latest beta release.

Old 9th May 2016, 16:26   #569
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I fixed that issue last night in 2036 like you already figured out, I produced that issue in 2034 sorry.

As for feature ideas I mainly have 2 things only in my mind:

1. tweak the log file more, maybe show file sizes etc
2. Make that custom restore mode only shows components which are present in the backup file.

Otherwise you are right it is pretty much feature complete.
Old 10th May 2016, 01:55   #570
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

v3.1 Final is available, download and latest changelog are available on my website.

This version allows multiple log files, provides athe ability to manage your back and log files and has some tweaks.
Old 10th May 2016, 02:03   #571
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
v3.1 Final is available, download and latest changelog are available on my website.

This version allows multiple log files, provides athe ability to manage your back and log files and has some tweaks.
What is the complete version number?

Old 10th May 2016, 02:06   #572
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

v3.1.0.2038

I have fixed the wrong version number on my website already.
Old 10th May 2016, 02:35   #573
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
v3.1.0.2038

I have fixed the wrong version number on my website already.
Might as well fix the one in your signature too.

Old 10th May 2016, 15:37   #574
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

Picking up on a comment ryerman made earlier; another bullet item should be added to the BT's features list on your website. Something like:

"Tool supports backup of configuration files for several popular 3rd party plugins. Send me a message if your favorite isn't included."

As a native US English speaker, I also suggest the last line for system requirements in the download box be changed to:

"Administrator privileges are needed for restore/transfer mode."

In regard to that suggestion, does the BT try to self-elevate somewhat like the Winamp installer does? I have always ran my computers under an administrator account (I know that can be dangerous, so I use several layers of protection), which still requires elevation for some things in Windows 7. I switched UAC to automatic self-elevation a long time ago. I have not created a standard user account to test what the BT does under that type of account. I should have mentioned this a long time ago (can't remember if I did or not in this thread). Until now, I never considered that it might make a difference.

Last edited by Aminifu; 10th May 2016 at 17:00.
Old 10th May 2016, 17:43   #575
Aminifu
Forum King

I'm happy to report that the BT v3.1.0.2038 is working fine with my Winamp installation. It even supports my 0 length 3rd party file. I'll beat on it over the next few days to see if I can break anything.

Old 10th May 2016, 19:51   #576
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

It will elevate on start, I tested against UAC. So if you have administrative privileges it will work with any UAC setting.

I've updated the info on my website.

If you run as standard user, it will show you a message, that you need adminstrative privileges on start.

Restore mode acts weird with standard users, the problem is that Winamp saves a lot of stuff in the program files folder, where standard users have no rights to write in.

I never understood why they haven't changed default skin and vis preset folders, when they implemented multi user profiles, especially that Geiss had moved the MilkDrop2 presets to the appdata folder in the beta period, but the other devs said only the settings should be stored there.

So a shrinked down restore mode would be possible, but I don't know if it is worth to do that if people still won't be able to restore skins etc.
Old 17th May 2016, 12:01   #577
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v3.2 Beta (Build 2076):

Quote:
- [Log File] localized the log file
- [Log File] improved/tweaked some texts
- [Log File] moved 'finished at:' and 'completed in:' info from 'Statistics' to 'End Info'
- [Log File] fixed that restore log file showed wrong 'Backup creation finished at:' and 'Backup creation completed in:' texts on bottom
- [Log File] fixed that 'File was generated by..' wasn't updating the correct time
- added individual previous modes for backup and restore mode (now you can have separate settings for backup and restore mode)
- made that Components page remembers your settings when using the 'Back' button
- made that 'Backup' and 'Restore' buttons are grayed out if nothing was selected in components page
- made that 'Next >' button will be renamed to 'Backup' or 'Restore' (depending on the selected mode) if 'Automatic Mode' was selected in mode selection page
- made that custom mode remembers your settings when using the '< Back' button
- improved the texts of SectionGroups/Sections/Section Descriptions in custom page
- added backup/restoration support for 'Yet Another (WA)SAPI Output' Plug-in
- fixed wrong section description texts for some ML sections in components page of restoration mode
- fixed missing section description text for 'Winamp Equalizer settings' in components page of restoration mode
- fixed some duplicated ALT hotkeys
- minor visual tweaks in finish page
- reworked the language strings for sections/section descriptions
- updated English and German language files to v2.2
- updated 7-Zip to v16.00
- [Installer] made that installer imports your old previous mode section settings
Some comments:

At first I was against it, but in the end it makes it more easy for non English speaking people to understand what was done.

When I localized the log file, I found some inconsistencies and minor glitches in some English texts.

- added individual individual previous modes for backup and restore mode

Something I planed to do in the 3.0 beta period already, was the work of a few hours, but hopefully it was worth it.

- made that Components page remembers your settings when using the 'Back' button

Something DrO critisized in the 3.0 Beta period and right he was. Normally, if you run BT, it will read the state for the components page entries from Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini and check/uncheck things as needed.

Normally the section entries will be written when BT backs up/restores stuff, this is how the previous mode works. Now it will notice if the status of the checkboxes changes on the fly and write the entry to Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini

- made that 'Backup' and 'Restore' buttons are grayed out if nothing was selected in components page

Now it is impossible to create empty backup files or restore...er...just nothing. hehe

- improved the texts of SectionGroups/Sections/Section Descriptions in custom page

My main goal was it to make it totally clear what is native Winamp stuff and what is 3rd party related stuff, so all Sectiongroups related to Winamp start with 'Winamp':

This was also applied to the sections, we now use 'Winamp Classic Skins' instead of 'Classic Skins' etc.
Old 17th May 2016, 16:15   #578
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

uploaded 2076 with the following changes:

- made that 'Next >' button will be renamed to 'Backup' or 'Restore' (depending on the selected mode) if 'Automatic Mode' was selected (take a look at the attachments)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup_Tool_Auto_Mode.png
Views:	153
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	52395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Backup_Tool_Cust_Mode.png
Views:	172
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	52396  
Old 19th May 2016, 14:07   #579
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v3.2 Beta 2 (Build 2094):

Quote:
Winamp Backup Tool v3.2 Beta 2:

- [Log File] added total amount of Tray Icon Packs, File Type Icon Libraries and ML Playlists to statistics
- [Log File] made file name of the log file localizable
- made that all backed up sections are written to Winamp_Backup_Integrity.winampbackup file
- made that Components page in restore mode only shows components which are available in your backup file (feature is working with backups with file version 5 and higher) [*]
- altered 'Automatic Mode' description text in restoration mode page to be more clear
- altered header text in restoration components page to reflect the new 'hiding feature'
- increased Backup File version to v5

Winamp Backup Tool v3.2 Beta:

- [Log File] moved 'finished at:' and 'completed in:' info from 'Statistics' to 'End Info'
- [Log File] fixed that restore log file showed wrong 'Backup creation finished at:' and 'Backup creation completed in:' texts on bottom
- [Log File] fixed that 'File was generated by..' wasn't updating the correct time
- added individual previous modes for backup and restore mode (now you can have separate settings for backup and restore mode)
- made that 'Next >' button will be renamed to 'Backup' or 'Restore' (depending on the selected mode) if 'Automatic Mode' was selected in mode selection page
- added backup/restoration support for 'Yet Another (WA)SAPI Output' Plug-in
- fixed wrong section description texts for some ML sections in components page of restoration mode
- fixed missing section description text for 'Winamp Equalizer settings' in components page of restoration mode
- fixed some duplicated ALT hotkeys
- minor visual tweaks in finish page
- reworked the language strings for sections/section descriptions
- updated English and German language files to v2.2
- updated 7-Zip to v16.00
- [Installer] made that installer imports your old previous mode section settings
[*] So how does it work? Lets say you create a backup and only select Skins:

If you then want to run restore mode (with your previously created backup file which contains skins only), components page looked like this in the past:

it showed components, which were not available in the backup file.

As for 3.2 Beta 2 and Backup File Version 5 only components which are part of the backup file are shown, the others are hidden. In our example, only skins section is visible now:

Was a lot of work to implement this.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:50   #581
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Winamp Backup Tool v3.2 Final and final changelog is now available on my website.

Changes compared to last Beta build were improvements in English and German language files and an updated license file only.

The English example language file v2.2 is now also available for those who want to translate backup tool.

Backup Tool is now (after 3 months of development) in a very good state and I'm glad to provide it.

And I now present My Winamp Backup Tool Log:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/backuptool/log.php
Old 20th May 2016, 18:31   #582
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

According to your sample log in post #611 your archive was made with v16.1.0.0 of the 7-Zip command line tool. I'm using the same BT v3.2.0.2096, but my log says it used v16.0.0.0 of the 7-Zip tool. The version of 7za.exe installed by the BT installation file I downloaded about 4 hours ago is also 16.0.0.0.

Are you using a different update of 7-Zip? I only ask because the update to v16.0.0.0 fixed a serious security issue and I had to manually search for and update the 7-Zip libraries and executables used by other apps on my computer. A tedious job (some are 32bit versions and others are 64bit) and I'm wondering if I need to do it again, so soon.

Old 20th May 2016, 19:29   #583
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I used 16.0.1.0 for testing, Backup Tool ships 16.0.0.0.

The version ressource for the command line in 16.0.1.0 is wrongly 16.1.0.0 this is why i haven't upgraded. So the security fix was part of 16.0 which is shipped in BT already. 16.0.1 has no noticable changes.

Oh and as soon as I'm aware about security issues, I release a new version (like I did with 2.0.2 a few weeks ago which fixed NSIS security issues), so no worries.
Old 20th May 2016, 19:42   #584
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
I used 16.0.1.0 for testing, Backup Tool ships 16.0.0.0.

Thanx for the clarification. So there is a new 7-Zip v16.0.1.0, but I can ignore it. Funny, after years without final updates, now they come less than 2 weeks apart.

Old 20th May 2016, 19:44   #585
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Thanx for the clarification. So there is a new 7-Zip v16.0.1.0, but I can ignore it. Funny, after years without final updates, now they come less than 2 weeks apart.
Funny I had the excat same thoughts.

Edited my above posting.
Old 21st May 2016, 19:21   #586
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Yeah my apologies for translators, but i couldnt use the old file anymore. There were too many changes
I will make a test build for you when I am at home.
Old 21st May 2016, 19:51   #587
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Here is a test build:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/downlo...upInternal.zip

If you have space issues just lemme know, I will increase the space where possible.
Old 22nd May 2016, 13:01   #588
pbelkner

Quote:
out_yasapi.ini is the only config file?
Starting with v1.6.0 there is a SSE2 debug version:
  • out_yasapi-debug-sse2.dll -> out_yasapi-debug-sse2.ini
pbelkner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:19   #589
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thanks for the info,will update in an upcoming release.

I've made a new submit to replace a very old version in the FileForums, they also used a borked screenshot in the past. Finally most recent Winamp Backup Tool is now listed in the file forum:

Winamp Backup Tool @ BetaNews FileForum

Most recent version is also available on MajorGeeks:

Winamp Backup Tool @ MajorGeeks

If you want to support Winamp Backup Tool, rate the tool at those websites or write a review.
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:06   #590
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Thanks will provide you a new test build quickly.

As for the issue, yeah it is the NSIS rounding, I haven't found a way to prevent NSIS from rounding things, this is the reason why the log doesn't show any file size btw.

Here is an updated test build:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/downlo...upInternal.zip
Old 24th May 2016, 16:27   #591
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

For next version, the installer has new icons:

They are transparent, like the main program icon is. I placed the symbols to the left side, so that the Windows UAC icon isn't covering them. I have also optimized the size of the main program icon.

So the icons have all the same style and additionally, this will decrease the size of the installer from 885KB to 759KB.

The total size of the main program will decrease from 347KB to 247KB
Old 24th May 2016, 18:10   #592
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

If someone wants to see it in action:

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/downlo...pToolSetup.zip

Note, that build contains a new polish language file, so the total size of the installer is 768KB (much smaller than the current release is).

In my above posting I compared it without any new language file.
Old 27th May 2016, 06:55   #593
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

v3.3 Beta is available

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/downlo...pToolSetup.zip

Quote:
v3.3 Beta:

- [Log File] added new 'File Size' columns
- [Log File] added missing translation strings for some 'Winamp Pro' stuff
- [Log File] made that 'Create target dir' task is only shown, if creation failed
- [Log File] made that total file size in statistics of backup log files don't use fixed file sizes in KB only anymore
- [Log File] made that 'Winamp Pro' table is using Windows environment path variables (%TEMP%) like the rest of the log file
- [Log File] made that removal of empty dirs is only logged if it failed
- [Log File] removed 'Backing up' and 'Restoring' texts from 'Task' columns
- [Log File] fixed wrong file name for restoration log files (3.2 specific)
- added total size of the compressed backup file to DetailPrint
- added Polish language file (thanks Paweł Porwisz)
- tweaked some sizes in the GUI for better translation support
- made that file size in 'Winamp Backup File Information' page doesn't show fixed file sizes in KB only anymore
- made that restoration mode removes empty dirs from the program folder as well
- made that tool remembers a (valid) selected backup file in restoration path page
- vastly decreased the total .exe file sizes due to optimized icon files
- improved backup/restoration method for AVS and MilkDrop visualization presets
- fixed wrongly rounded file sizes in 'Backup and log files Management' and 'Winamp Backup File Information' pages (big thanks to Paweł Porwisz for providing a NSIS function for this)
- fixed 'Winamp Pro Reg Data' restoration on 32-Bit systems
- fixed incorrect information in 'Backup File Information' page for old v1x/2.x backup files
- updated backup/restoration method for some 3rd party plug-ins
- updated 7-Zip to 16.2.0.0
- updated license file
- [Installer] added new Install/Uninstall icons
- [Installer] fixed that Windows Uninstall menu doesn't show an icon
I was listening to your feedback and have simplified the log file.

That the GUI now shows bit correct file sizes was Paweł Porwisz's work. If you want to thank someone, thank him, visit his website or send him some beer whatever.

This will be hopefully the last release for a while now, I think I've tweaked/improved/fixed it so that it is in a very good state.

Famous last words, hehe.
Old 27th May 2016, 19:31   #594
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

After a quick run through (of the automatic backup mode) I have only found 1 minor bug in v3.3.0.3018's backup log. A full archive of my configuration was created successfully. I'll conduct more thorough tests tomorrow.

In the log file's Backup of MilkDrop Visualization Presets section, the first listed task was the creation of the temp folder for holding the presets. Now the first task lists 'MilkDrop Presets Folder' with a status of Skipped and the Source Path column lists No file(s) available for backup ➝ *.*.

All the other create target dir tasks are not listed in the log, as intended. Thank you for adding the file size column.

Old 27th May 2016, 19:36   #595
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The MilkDrop thing is not a bug, that means that there were no presets sub folders.

Will edit this posting later with more info in a bit.
Old 28th May 2016, 19:53   #596
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Let me explain the MilkDrop things.

AVS/MilkDrop presets are stored in fixed folders:

WinampInstallPath\Plugins\AVS

WinampInstallPath\Plugins\MilkDrop2\Presets

these folders can contain sub folders with presets, e.g. AVS ships presets in a 'Community Pick' sub folder:

WinampInstallPath\Plugins\AVS\Community Picks

Additionally, AVS (MilkDrop) presets can contain more than *.avs (or *.milk) files, they can depend on .bmp files, .ape files etc.

So BT must locate *.* so that it does work.

So basically BT checks for *.* including sub folders.

The issue is, that it will backup some presets twice, in the above example with the community picks folder, BT currently:

- backs up the whole community pick folder including the presets
- backs up all single files from that folder too

The resolve the issue, BT now will search for *.* in the root presets dir (Task name: 'AVS Preset Files' and additionally search for *.* in sub folders (Task name: 'AVS Presets Folder').

In your MilkDrop case it means, that you don't have any sub folder including MilkDrop presets.

I hope that makes sense.
Old 28th May 2016, 20:09   #597
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Uploaded 3024 with the following changes:

- made that tool remembers a (valid) selected custom backup file in restoration path page
- fixed incorrect information in 'Backup File Information' page for old v1x/2.x backup files
- made that tool aborts restoration job and logs the reason if the used backup file was externally deleted or corrupted after leaving paths page (should be really really rarely the case)

If a user has used the 'Browse' button and selects a valid backup file, the tool just should remember that and not force the path to be resetted to the last created backup file only.

So basically it acts exactly like before, the only difference is, if you select a (valid) custom file via the 'Browse' button, that setting will now be remembered.
Old 28th May 2016, 20:15   #598
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:

I hope that makes sense.
Yes, it does. I assume you're only using location to weed out duplicates in the archive file, not the file names and sizes. Does restore mode attempt to recreate these duplicates, i.e. put one backed up file in more than one location?

I'm glad my configuration doesn't contain such cases.

Old 28th May 2016, 20:18   #599
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Yes, it does. I assume you're only using location to weed out duplicates in the archive file, not the file names and sizes. Does restore mode attempt to recreate these duplicates, i.e. put one backed up file in more than one location?

I'm glad my configuration doesn't contain such cases.
Nope, the backup file doesn't contain any duplicate, because scenario a will overwrite scenario b.

So if it has backed up the whole community pick folder to the backup temp dir, the single files will overwrite these files again. There will be never duplicates.

So the backup file itself doesn't contain any duplicate. Restore mode also wouldn't restore duplicated files in general and it also cannot, because the used backup source file doesn't contain any duplicate.

The change is just to make the thing act 100% correct. It prevents the tool from copying the same files twice anymore. If you look at the 3.2 log file you see that it wasn't the case before (assuming you have the standard AVS presets installed)

To summarize it:

All Backups/Restorations of the MilkDrop and AVS presets are correct in any previous Backup Tool version, just the method how these things were copied wasn't 100% correct
Old 28th May 2016, 21:25   #600
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Uploaded 3024 3030, which will set $ProcessAborted = 1 (Tool will go to Finish page and logs the reason why the proces was aborted) if the backup file used for restoration was externally deleted/corrupted after leaving path page while Backup tool was running.

That scenario should be really really rare, hehe.

Additionally I have improved the code for path page, made that log file shows in red why the job was aborted, fixed some typos in German language file.

So I would be thankful if you could check if everything works as expected in 3.3 beta Build 3030.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
backup, database, library, lost, restoration, restore, settings