Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Old 29th May 2016, 21:23   #601
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Koopa,

I logged in to report on v3.3.0.3024 and I see that another version has been released.

Are you and the 7-Zip developer in some sort of update release race!

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2016, 21:59   #602
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

You got us, Utopia Updatus is the name of the planet. We can only survive if we update programs as much as possible.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2016, 00:31   #603
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

For next build ( I don't release this yet, I'm waiting for feedback on the current beta first) I have tested and improved the paths checks:

Backup Mode -> Backup Folder Path:

Here was a problem with the ability to save backups directly in the root of removable drives (e.g. USB Sticks), I couldn't really apply a NSIS based check, if the used drive letter is present or not.

So if you would save your file on the root of USB Stick 1, which has the drive letter E:, I couldn't verifiy the path using the standard NSIS FileExists checks.

So I'm asking Windows now directly via:

code:
System::Call `shlwapi::PathFileExistsW(t)i("$0").R5`

So here is an example, you selected a custom backup path on e.g. USB Drive E: , your custom path will be written to Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini, Now if the stick isn't plugged in anymore or was unplugged and got a different drive letter, BT will set the path to the default backup dir.

Since I made the text edit read only and you can only change custom paths via the 'Browse' button, this always ensures, that the path is present, so the Windows call is the most safe thing I can use.

Restore Mode -> Backup File Path:

Here we already have a solid check with the Winamp_Backup_Tool_Integrity.winampbackup file. The file always ensures that you are using a valid compressed archive file.

No changes were needed, anything is working fine.

Restore Mode -> Restore Folder Path:

Since there could be the weird scenario that Winamp or the Winamp settings folder is installed in the root of a drive as well, I have applied the same check based on the Windows call, like for Backup Folder Path.
Old 31st May 2016, 11:15   #604
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

v3.3 Beta 2 is available

http://koopa.meggamusic.co.uk/downlo...pToolSetup.zip

Quote:
Winamp Backup Tool v3.3 Beta 2:

- [Log File] added 'Winamp Restoration Directory' to restoration log files
- [Log File] made that log file shows if custom backup/restoration path on a removable drive isn't available (e.g. USB stick was unplugged while the tool was running)
- [Log File] made the font of abort errors red
- improved validation of Winamp Backup Folder and Winamp Restoration Folder paths if files are stored on a removal drive:
-> Backup Tool will now use a Windows Call to check if the drive path is still valid (e.g if the USB stick is still plugged in and has the same drive letter)
-> If the path is invalid, it will automatically set the paths to the default backup/restoration paths
-> if the drive path isn't available after you left path page, the tool will abort the current job and log the error
- fixed bad file path, for backup folder and restoration folder when files are saved on the root of a drive (path contained 2 \\ in that case)
- fixed visual glitches with checkboxes on Finish page on Windows XP
- disabled Unicode arrows on Windows XP (XP doesn't support them)
- source code improvements
- updated English and German language files
Sorry for that, but since i tested with USB sticks and external drives, I found some glitches.

Some of the changes are only theoretically stuff, it's doubtful, that the Winamp restoraation path in on an external drive or the root of a drive. But I tried to catch all possible scenarios.

I would be thankful for any testing, I think this was the last wave of fixes/tweaks now.
Old 2nd June 2016, 05:27   #605
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Here is the first release candidate, am only waiting for a Polish language file update before I release the final.

Quote:
Winamp Backup Tool v3.3.0.3040 RC1:

- [Log File] added new 'File Size' columns
- [Log File] added 'Winamp Restoration Directory' to restoration log files
- [Log File] added missing translation strings for some 'Winamp Pro' stuff
- [Log File] made that log file shows if custom backup/restoration path on a removable drive isn't available (e.g. USB stick was unplugged while the tool was running)
- [Log File] made that 'Create target dir' task is only shown, if creation failed
- [Log File] made that total file size in statistics of backup log files don't use fixed file sizes in KB only anymore
- [Log File] made that 'Winamp Pro' table is using Windows environment path variables (%TEMP%) like the rest of the log file
- [Log File] made that removal of empty dirs is only logged if it failed
- [Log File] made the font of abort errors red
- [Log File] removed 'Backing up' and 'Restoring' texts from 'Task' columns
- [Log File] fixed wrong file name for restoration log files (3.2 specific)
- added total size of the compressed backup file to DetailPrint
- added Polish language file (thanks Paweł Porwisz)
- improved validation of Winamp Backup Folder and Winamp Restoration Folder paths if files are stored on a removal or network drive:
-> Backup Tool will now use a Windows Call to check if the drive path is still valid (e.g if the USB stick is still plugged in and has the same drive letter)
-> If the path is invalid, it will automatically set the paths to the default backup/restoration paths
-> if the drive path isn't available after you left path page, the tool will abort the current job and log the error
- tweaked some sizes in the GUI for better translation support
- made that file size in 'Winamp Backup File Information' page doesn't show fixed file sizes in KB only anymore
- made that restoration mode removes empty dirs from the program folder as well
- vastly decreased the total .exe file sizes due to optimized icon files
- improved backup/restoration method for AVS and MilkDrop visualization presets
- fixed wrongly rounded file sizes in 'Backup and log files Management' and 'Winamp Backup File Information' pages (big thanks to Paweł Porwisz for providing a NSIS function for this)
- fixed 'Winamp Pro Reg Data' restoration on 32-Bit systems
- fixed bad file path, for backup folder and restoration folder when files are saved on the root of a drive (path contained 2 \\ in that case)
- fixed visual glitches with checkboxes on Finish page on Windows XP
- updated backup/restoration method for some 3rd party plug-ins
- updated 7-Zip to 16.2.0.0
- updated license file
- updated English and German language files to v2.3
- disabled Unicode arrows on Windows XP (XP doesn't support them)
- source code improvements
- [Installer] added new Install/Uninstall icons
- [Installer] fixed that Windows Uninstall menu doesn't show an icon
Old 3rd June 2016, 07:29   #606
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

v3.3.0.3042 Final is now available.
Old 3rd June 2016, 09:22   #607
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
v3.0 Final is now available.
Is the latest version 3.3.0.3042?
It would be less confusing if the current build version was the same everywhere: the tool, your website, this thread, and your signature.
Maybe it's possible to accurately update all places at the same time.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 12:20   #608
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Website shows the correct build and yes final is 3042, 3040 was the RC.

Updater shows latest as well.
Old 3rd June 2016, 13:03   #609
ryerman
Major Dude

And post #606 is still wrong, even after your edit.
I know I'm being picky, but sometimes "the devil is in the details".
You release a lot of versions and sometimes it's hard to keep up!

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2016, 16:51   #610
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Fixed the version number above, right you are, but most important is that the info on my website and the update check is correct, heh

And I hope this was the last release for a while now.
Old 5th June 2016, 07:40   #611
Aminifu
Forum King

Version 3.3.0.3042 is working as expected with my configuration.

Old 6th June 2016, 21:34   #612
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I'm glad that it is working for you.
Old 13th June 2016, 17:16   #613
mukke

Hello. I'm just moving to a new laptop. While looking for any news regarding Winamp I found this thread and would like to know...
  • Is this "Winamp Backup Tool" working well with the latest Winamp Version 5.666 (build 3516)?
  • How to use this tool? Install Winamp first and then...?
Thanks

Last edited by mukke; 13th June 2016 at 17:27. Reason: I found the download already
mukke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2016, 17:54   #614
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

1. Yes fully compatible with 5.66
2. If Winamp is installed just install the tool and run it the wizard is self explaning.
Old 15th June 2016, 20:21   #615
mukke

Sounds good. Alright, I'll try it. Thank you for your quick response.
mukke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2016, 05:47   #616
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released Winamp Backup Tool v3.3.1 (Build 3048)

Quote:
Winamp Backup Tool v3.3.1

- added PortugueseBR language file (thanks Anderson Silva)
- added ALT hotkeys to the buttons of the manage backup/log files page
- updated English, German and Polish language files
- fixed a visual quirck with the running Winamp check in DetailPrint
- [Installer] fixed wrong description text for uninstall shortcut in Windows start menu
This is a minor release, with some minor fixes/tweaks and a new PortugueseBR language file (thanks to Anderson Silva)
Old 28th July 2016, 04:39   #617
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Released 3.3.2 (Build 3050)

This is a minor update which basically upgrades Backup Tool to NSIS 3.0 Final.
Old 24th August 2016, 15:46   #618
ReeferMan

Hi all!

Is it possible to include (with a future Upate) addons that are not installed in the Winamp Dir?
For example i use MiniLyrics from time to time and its installed in a different Dir!

Would be nice

Greetings, ReeferMan
ReeferMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2016, 20:10   #619
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

What exactly do you mean?

1. Backup of plug-in files in general? If so, I thinkthe worst thing you could do is backing up plugin dll files, because on restore this could be already outdated and make Winamp unstable.

2. Setting files for more 3rd parties? Backup Tool supports already a lot of config files in the Winamp program dir (inluding plugins.ini) and in the more modern user settings path.

If you want more 3rd parties, please simply tell me the names of the plugins and I will add support. This is only way how things work, especially in the case you decribed, where the settings files aren'T in any Winamp dir at all.
Old 25th August 2016, 08:21   #620
ReeferMan

Well, it would be nice if you could add MiniLyrics to your Tool

Greetings, ReeferMan
Old 27th August 2016, 22:27   #621
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Was a bit more work than expected, it saves the settings in two locations, depending on the the selected option if you select multi user settings in installer or not, sadly multi user settings isn't checked by default.

I've attached a beta which should fully support settings and databases in both cases, please test the version.

v3.3.3 Beta:

- added backup/restoration support for MiniLyrics settings and database
Attached Files
File Type: zip WinampBackupToolSetup.zip (781.5 KB, 215 views)
Old 27th August 2016, 22:56   #622
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Need to parse the songtext dir as well, will add this tomorow.
Old 28th August 2016, 09:21   #623
ReeferMan

Cool, thx a lot

Works good as far as i can say it
Old 6th October 2016, 19:31   #624
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I try my best to roll out a 3.3.3 within the next week, which adds full support for MiniLyrcis plugin settings and lyrics database (it is a bit tricky to implement because of the weird way, how ML stores the settings) and an updated 7-Zip command line version.
Old 30th November 2016, 01:35   #625
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released v3.3.3, which mainly fixes issue with the https://getwinamp.com/wacup/ implementation.
Old 30th November 2016, 08:43   #626
Pawel

Send a message via ICQ to Pawel
Koopa,
First of all I hope you are fine. I didn't see you a long time here...

Just a minute ago I downloaded newest Winamp Backup Tool to test it with WACUP. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. The problem is that BT can not start, because it is not see Winamp installation (probably registry problem - I installed WACUP lately and it changed registry entries "\Winamp\UninstWA.exe" -> "\WINAMP\UninstWACUP.exe").

So, here is what I would suggest:
1. Change the way you check this registry key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Winamp -> UninstallString): parse also "UninstWACUP.exe" (not only "UninstWA.exe")
2. If above fail try to use default Winamp installatin directory (C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\winamp.exe)
3. If both fail ask user for Winamp directory and use the path (first check if this is winamp directory, I just looking for winamp.exe (+ winamp.original with WACUP).

If I manually select Winamp directory BT still doesnt read it correctly - it constantly ask for correct Winamp installation dir (in a loop).

regards,
-Pawel
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2016, 00:51   #627
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I have fixed a Winamp detection bypass issue, which is not related to the thing you reported.
It is just to manually enter a different path and skip the Winamp detection methods in general.

I haven't tested WACUP yet and as soon as I get the chance to test it I will work against possible issues.

But thanks for the report nevermind....
Old 15th December 2016, 16:51   #628
Whiskeyjack

Hey Koopa,

thanks for creating this tool. On a quick search I couldn´t find my problem described anywhere so maybe someone can help me:

I stumbled upon this tool while searching for a way to transfer my thoroughly administered Winamp library. While it worked just fine in restoring all my data and settings, the one thing it didn´t do was to link up the old data with the new file locations.

This probably has to do with paths, but I´m not sure what I can/should do now as I changed from Windows 7 to 10 and also have a different drive structure so just putting everything at the exact location it was on my old computer is not really an option.
Whiskeyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2016, 19:42   #629
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyjack View Post
... so just putting everything at the exact location it was on my old computer is not really an option.
The Backup Tool can be used to copy files to another computer, but it can't edit them (i.e. go inside the media library database files and edit file locations). If you remember the drive letter(s) and folder names of your old storage structure (or can see the old locations in the old media library database records), why can't you recreate it on your new computer?

If you can't do this, then your old usage history data (dates and number of times files were played) is lost and you will need to create a new media library database for your files at their new locations. The saving of usage history data will then start over.

If you created playlists, then they also will not work without editing the file locations in them. Playlists are text files and there are free utilities that can be used to search for the new file locations and edit the playlists automatically (or you can use Notepad to edit them manually).

Old 16th December 2016, 11:24   #630
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Additionally you can manually go to Winamps settings > Media Libray > Local Media and correct the pathes.

Worked fine in my test scenarios, but like Aminifu said, the tool cannot simply write to the database files. so ideally you have the same structure on you new system like on the old.
Old 16th December 2016, 15:34   #631
Aminifu
Forum King

Hi Whiskeyjack,

To create an updated or new media library database, what you need to do is run Winamp and go to the Winamp Preferences (press the Ctrl and P keyboard keys at the same time) - Media Library - Local Library - Watch Folders tab. Remove any old incorrect root folders listed and add the new root folders your music is located in. Select each root folder and click the "Edit selected" button. Make sure the "Add subfolders", "Read file metadata ...", and "No guessing ..." options are selected in the "Edit folder properties" windows that open for each root folder. After adding and checking the properties of each root folder, make sure the "Automatically remove missing files" option (below the watch folders list box) is checked and then click on the "Rescan now" button.

As you add new music to your collection (and/or move or copy files to different folders), you can repeat this procedure or check the "Automatically add played files" option to have new music records added to the media library database when you use Winamp to play the new or relocated music.

Winamp uses a file's name and location to identify it. So if you have the same file in more than 1 location, the media library will display a file record for each location the file is in. A file that is no longer in the same location it was in when it's record was added to the library is considered missing.

To have full use of the media library's search and display features, your files must use metadata tags. Metadata tags provide the properties of each song (artist, title, album name, year released, album art, etc.). Most digital file formats allow metadata tags to be written within each file. Winamp's built-in file info editors (keyboard shortcuts Alt+3 or Shift+E) allow you to view, enter, or correct the metadata tags in each file that supports them or add metadata tags to the associated library records for file formats (like wav) that don't support writing the metadata tags within the file itself. Winamp's built-in feature to search the Gracenote database for metadata no longer works and it wasn't 100% accurate anyway. 3rd party automatic taggers can be used to search internet databases, but they are not 100% accurate either.

I suggest you configure the "Metadata Reading Settings" (at the bottom of the Watch Folders tab) for no guessing.

Last edited by Aminifu; 16th December 2016 at 18:16.
Old 29th December 2016, 16:54   #632
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

v3.3.4 was released

Quote:
- [Log File] added detection for WACUP version number
- made that the selected Backup Tool task is only written to Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini if needed
- minor improvements in the Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini file
- fixed registry path detection of WACUP
- [Tool/Installer] updated to NSIS v3.01
- [Tool/Installer] updated Copyright year
- [Tool/Installer] updated English, German, Polish and PortugueseBR language files to v2.4
Old 13th January 2017, 06:27   #633
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Implemented an old feature request, next version (release in a few days) will allow you you to automatically delete backup and log files when running the tool.

I also tweaked the design of the manage page a bit.

This will be the last version for a while, because I currently have real life issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	newmanage.png
Views:	124
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	52943  
Old 13th January 2017, 09:23   #634
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Here is a beta 2:

Quote:
v3.3.5:
- added an option to automatically delete old Winamp backup files when creating a new backup to manage page
- added an option to automatically delete old Winamp Backup Tool log files when creating a new backup to manage page
- tweaked the general design of the manage page
- made that DetailPrint shows if old backup or log files will be removed
- removed 'Check for updates' button from manage page
- updated English and German languages files to v2.5
Known Issues:

- automatically delete all log files currently doesn't delete restoration log files (will handle both individual, so that if you check the option you have max 2 log files one for backup one for restoration)
Old 13th January 2017, 18:55   #635
Aminifu
Forum King

Happy New Year, Koopa

I couldn't download the beta, received the "Forbidden" notice due to someone using a hotlink to the page.

Old 13th January 2017, 21:19   #636
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

changed link
Old 14th January 2017, 07:05   #637
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Uploaded a second beta which fixes the known issue.

Note if you ran the tool in a different langauge and then in english again, it won't remove localized log files, this only could be fixed by a *.html deletion which isn't wanted (then I also cannot make that backup and restore log files are deleted individually). If you run it in a different language, it will remove english log files as well, though.
Old 14th January 2017, 07:30   #638
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

I spent a lot of work/time on 3.x and I think it is done now (except of bug fixes)

Compared to 1.x/2.x you got:

- a simplified, more professional interface
- ~80% of the source code was rewritten
- a complete new, HTML5 based log file system for backup and restoration mode
- a great error handling, especially when using removable storages
- ability to create multiple, zip or 7-zip compressed archives
- individual previous settings for backup and restoration custom mode
- a new page which shows the content of the backup file used for restoration
- a new page to manage your backup and log files
- a complete reworked finish page
- new icons
- much better detection of running winamp instances

and much more.

If you want to appreciate my work, you can translate the tool into your language, make a donation or simply let other people know about it.
Old 25th January 2017, 22:28   #639
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Just released 3.3.5:

Quote:
- added an option to automatically delete old Winamp backup files when creating a new backup to manage page
- added an option to automatically delete old Winamp Backup Tool log files when creating a new backup to manage page
- tweaked the general design of the manage page
- made that DetailPrint shows if old backup or log files will be removed
- removed 'Check for updates' button from manage page
- updated English and German languages files to v2.5
- [Installer] made installer installs a .txt license file instead of .rtf
- [Installer] made installer writes [ExeDir] to Winamp_Backup_Tool.ini
An updated language file will be available within the next few days.

The main feature of that release is the reworked manage backup/log files page:

Old 29th January 2017, 21:13   #640
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

The updated English language file v2.5 is now available.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
backup, database, library, lost, restoration, restore, settings