Old 6th May 2014, 13:35   #1
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Winamp Enthusiasts Forum closing

Name:  Llama-cat.png
Views: 554
Size:  13.0 KB

Sad, but it´s time to move on...

Due to lack of participation from members we will be closing this forum in a few days.
We gave it our best shot but sadly it didn't work out.

More info here: http://winampenthusiasts.com/showthread.php?tid=571
Victhor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 13:45   #2
DrO

not impressed by this...
Quote:
although it's extremely frustrating that the new owners seem to suffer from the same problem as the old owners in not giving people much information on what is going to happen in the future or any kind of time frame at all.
not much has been said because a lot of things are still being worked out (i've spent countless hours researching alternatives to what we have been using for certain parts of functionality over the last 2-3 months) and being reviewed and removed / replaced as necessary.

and it's not like i've not given out loads of snippets of info in the main news thread on some of the aspects that are going to happen with the desktop client (dependent library changes, feature adjustments, loading / saving time improvements, etc) so it's not like no information is being provided.

but if a complete list is wanted for the next release (which is very unlikely to be a 5.x release), then that's not possible at the moment (especially for dates of things when that's subject to on-going research) as we're still working it out (which i know people aren't going to like, but that's all that can be said for the moment and is me being as open as is viable). all i can say with certainty is that those who are still part of the beta list will be receiving a first post-AOL build later this month.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 14:31   #3
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

He probably refers to what we've been already discussing a couple of weeks ago (from this comment on) about Bussiness / Marketing communication.. wont go further since we've talk about it a lot.
I think I've already said this before, but I particularly appreciate what you do on these forums, it shouldn't be your "burden" if we take into account that you're also involved in other "parts" of Winamp (I know there isn't too much traffic now compared to "the golden age", but it's still a demand..). I hope someone else comes down here soon and help with whatever is needed.
Old 6th May 2014, 15:10   #4
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

When the forum started, I thought it was a good idea, it had a fresh look and had a lot of potential.

I think too many mistakes were made, a new domain without an info, deleted sub forums and threads.

Expecting more participation is a bit weird, e.g. plug-in devs who posted in the forum were surprised, that their threads were deleted without any info. So why should they use a forum, if there is always the risk, that stuff will be revamped, moved or deleted and nobody gets any info before such changes will be applied?

I'm a bit sad, that the forum will die, though, I'm not really surprised.
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 15:45   #5
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
Expecting more participation is a bit weird, e.g. plug-in devs who posted in the forum were surprised, that their threads were deleted without any info. So why should they use a forum, if there is always the risk, that stuff will be revamped, moved or deleted and nobody gets any info before such changes will be applied?
There was never much movement in that part of the forum, 2 out of 3 where actually empty. When we decided to remove those sections we thought about giving another direction to the forums, different from what the official was offering, since the plug-ins section was already present here, we didn't wanted to overlap or generate duplicated content..
Old 6th May 2014, 22:29   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

I think the website administrators were a little too excited and impatient for a new focus. It takes time to build a community (attract consistent participants), especially now when there are so many alternatives to spend time with.

The technical/problem-solving parts of this site form the backbone and should have formed the backbone for that one (even if there was duplication), imo. Most people look for answers to their problems and never/seldom post anything. The more social parts (tangential to Winamp) piggyback off of the technical and they can be discussed anywhere. Focusing on them alone was a mistake, imo.

I think new plug-in development has declined for 2 reasons. Winamp is much more robust in itself and there is little money to be made. Duplicates of the same old things are not exciting and most users don't feel they should pay for an add-on when the main app is free to use.

The look and mechanics of the Enthusiasts site is/was better (more modern) in many ways and I will be sad to see it go. Maybe some aspects can be incorporated here, if the underlying software can accommodate them.

Anyway, a big cheer to all those who tried to give us an alternative when things were looking dire.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.1 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v20H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 23:08   #7
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
not much has been said because a lot of things are still being worked out (i've spent countless hours researching alternatives to what we have been using for certain parts of functionality over the last 2-3 months) and being reviewed and removed / replaced as necessary.
maybe we can help? whats an example?

Quote:
all i can say with certainty is that those who are still part of the beta list will be receiving a first post-AOL build later this month.
if I am not on that list already, I'd like to be. what is the process?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 23:27   #8
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have tried that so many times, but entering the E-Mail-Adress doesn't work for me... http://www.winamp.com/ and if I cannot enter it, then I cannot come onto that list...

Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Music, Art, Lyrics, Videos
AMBIENT... AMBIENT music forever...
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2014, 23:49   #9
DrO

beta-list access is invite only (as it's been previously) so it's not possible to do it via the main site.
Old 7th May 2014, 09:20   #10
Satuim

Sorry DJ Pete. I haven't been too active on it since this forum was OK.
It was great though!

Even more sad is the fact that there was articles and everything!
Satuim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 10:49   #11
DrO

there is nothing stopping people posting articles on this forum (was one of the things which had been done well).
Old 7th May 2014, 14:54   #12
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
there is nothing stopping people posting articles on this forum (was one of the things which had been done well).
lol
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 15:17   #13
DrO

not sure what was funny about my reply...
Old 7th May 2014, 20:07   #14
thinktink
Forum King

Send a message via Skype™ to thinktink
Quote:
not sure what was funny about my reply...
I wasn't laughing at you.
thinktink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2014, 21:27   #15
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinktink View Post
I wasn't laughing at you.
Your funny signature?
Old 7th May 2014, 21:34   #16
DrO

is a bit tricky if i don't have a signature.
Old 8th May 2014, 02:28   #17
djpete
Major Dude

I don't think anyone expects a full detailed list of changes. Most would be happy with a general statement EG:

We aim to have an official announcement on the upcoming new version of Winamp in approx 6 months time. We are hard at work bla bla bla
Our general plan is ...
We are looking at revamping the forum to a brand new modern look with lots of new features...... and hope to have an announcement on that in 3 months.

And rather than people have to puzzle together all this info from a post here and there it should be a simple statement on the main landing page.

It would give direction to members, keep a professional image up for the company and keep people interested and curious.

Say nothing for months without any official statements will only lose more people.

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2014, 02:29   #18
djpete
Major Dude

PS Is it just me or does the header to the forum look like it's not finished? Is it that hard to make a nice full width header?

PSS
We will or are moving a lot of the downloads, links etc to the Facebook page and that will continue..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1446247392261517/

Cheers, Pete

Anything & Everything Winamp - All In One Place...
Winamp Enthusiasts Group
djpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 20:28   #19
Victhor
Late skinner & Moderator

(will have to find another project to bug people with..)
Old 9th May 2014, 20:46   #20
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpete1959 View Post
PS Is it just me or does the header to the forum look like it's not finished? Is it that hard to make a nice full width header?

PSS
We will or are moving a lot of the downloads, links etc to the Facebook page and that will continue..
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1446247392261517/
cool, I didn't even realize that existed.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2014, 21:16   #21
DrO

the forum header (and other parts) is known to be a mess since that's how it was when things were quickly migrated (having a lot of things from the AOL days still present/part disabled). it will likely all be sorted out when the common branding of the sites is rolled out (based on what i'm aware off).
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
closing, enthusiasts, forum, winamp