Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 4th August 2008, 02:00   #81
GullyF

Winamp 5.5 crashes because of playlist generator

Never did find the corrupt file, but I did get it to work:

Out of sheer desperation, I finally did a complete defrag of my system. I noted during the analysis phase that there were several (at least five) mp3 files among the list of fragmented files. Note that my system reported only 4% fragmentation and even said that I didn't need to defragment the drive, but I did anyway.

And that worked. It now works as advertised, without crashing, and has done so all weekend, after several tests.

I don't know if that is the solution for everyone, but it did the trick for me.
GullyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2009, 22:09   #82
sunk818

> I don't know if that is the solution for
> everyone, but it did the trick for me.

I think defrag and winamp are unrelated. Maybe your defrag did some sort of disk check before hand which fixed some disk issues. I really can't see how a defrag would help a software issue.
sunk818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 16:02   #83
giselej

Oh my

I hope this solves. I have tried to install the new winamp 5 times today and it doesn't even open after installation.

I'll let you know.
giselej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2009, 16:06   #84
giselej

Yes, i had to delete all my skins and plugins in order for the customization to start after installation, and there i picked the classic skin.
Crazy :S
giselej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 22:05   #85
riffer

So I decided to try and tackle this issue as I've been getting crashes when scanning with the Gracenote plugin, and problems starting the auto-playlist generator with 5.5.52.

So I uninstalled Winamp entirely and even cleaned the registry of Winamp.

I re-installed 5.5.52 and nothing else. I added all my MP3s to the library with no problem. I started the scan of the library with the Gracenote plugin and it crashed Winamp very close to the end. The faulting module was nde.dll.

I uninstalled that version of Winamp and deleted all the data. I installed Winamp public Beta 5.5 build 1607 and performed the exact same processes as above, first adding my MP3 library and then doing the Gracenote scan. This time it completed with no errors.

So there's definitely an issue that's cropped up between that release and 5.5.52. Since the crash was from nde.dll, it's a database problem, perhaps a constraint being violated or the database being handed data that doesn't match the type expected.

Unfortunately, since I couldn't reproduce the crash with a version of Winamp that would log what, excatly, it was trying to read and process at that time, there's not much else I can do.

Any suggestions on how I can enable an appropriate debug log? I'm willing to work with someone from Winamp directly if need be.
riffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2009, 21:38   #86
riffer

Continuing to try and pin this down. I uninstalled the Beta build 1607 and installed beta build 1600. It was able to succesfully add all my MP3z to the library and scan them with the Gracenote plugin. Then I installed Winamp 5.5.52 on top of that build. When I tried to generate a playlist, I got this crash:

Faulting application winamp.exe, version 5.5.5.2435, faulting module nde.dll, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x0000a6cc.

So for the hell of it, I re-installed beta build 1600 and copied the nde.dll out of it. Then I re-reinstalled 5.5.52 and tried to use the 5.5beta1600 nde.dll. Ooooh, 5.5.52 winamp didn't like that!

But now I do seem to be able to auto-generate playlists with 5.5.52. I'm pretty sure that somewhere in that database there's something that if you try to read it through the Nullsoft Database Engine is going to kill it.

Would it be any use to zip up the gracenote database and upload it somewhere so someone from Winamp could inspect it? I'm more than happy to do so.
Old 11th December 2009, 01:27   #87
ivanalbright

same problem

I would like to say that I am having the same problem as many others with the gracenote playlist generator

Running winamp 5.56, I go to the gracenote/playlist generator plugin preferences to scan my library. I get to step 4 and get a ways into it (at least 1/4 done or so), but then winamp crashes and is forced to close.

Reading through this thread it sounds like this may be from a corrupted file somewhere in my library (which is quite large, around 22,000 files).

If this is the case, I have no way of knowing which file may be causing the problem. Would it be possible to at least have a log showing the recently scanned files so you can check after a crash?

I have tried getting this to work on 3 different windows installs on the same computer with the same library of music (XP, Vista Business 32, and Win 7 Pro). All gave me the problem although on the XP install it eventually did work somehow. I have moved to windows 7 and would like to get this to work now...

Any tips or ideas? At least maybe a way to get winamp to tell me the corrupted files?
ivanalbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2009, 08:27   #88
ivanalbright

I'd also like to add that I just scanned my entire mp3 library and fixed/removed all corrupt or invalid mp3 files using a freeware program called "mp3val" (its available on sourceforge)

I still get the problem after completely uninstalling then reinstalling winamp and trying to scan my library with gracenote again (after the mp3val scan/fix)

This is very frustrating, I was able to get the playlist generator working for a short while once and really enjoyed it. I would love to fix this issue and will try to help however I can.
Old 21st December 2009, 10:51   #89
zer0red

Anyone who is having a problem with the playlist generator should use the latest predixis plugin. It's the old winamp playlist generator that they ditched for some reason. It's the best solution and it works better than gracenote, for me anyway. Here's a comparison list I made:

Predixis/MusicIP..............................Nullsoft
any size playlist.......................incremental size playlist

artist style preference...............no artist style preference

song variety preference.............no song variety preference

playlist tweaks*........................no playlist tweaks*

numeric restrict duplicate...........no numeric restrict duplicate
artists preference......................artists preference

processor usage preference........no processor usage preference

fast scanning time.....................mediocre scanning time

*tweaks include right click options once a playlist has been made including: "more like this," "less like this," "replace this song," "replace this artist," and "replace this album."

The plugin has been pretty hard to find lately so if you want it send me a pm. I know I sound like a fanboy but I spent about a year trying to get the nullsoft pl generator to work (and got extremely frustrated with winamp in the process) and I found this plugin and it's just better.
zer0red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2009, 12:38   #90
Juanus
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Juanus
Quote:
Originally posted by ivanalbright
I'd also like to add that I just scanned my entire mp3 library and fixed/removed all corrupt or invalid mp3 files using a freeware program called "mp3val" (its available on sourceforge)

I still get the problem after completely uninstalling then reinstalling winamp and trying to scan my library with gracenote again (after the mp3val scan/fix)
That's a cool program. Never seen it before. Although I never looked because I never needed it. My scan works perfectly fine. I have over 30k tracks, but I dont have any from unknown sources. And even if I do, I am meticulous in the way that I remove all tags and replace them with the correct tags and such.
Here is some detective work.
When you found the mp3 files that were corrupt or invalid, did you try removing those files from the scan and then redoing it? Maybe this free program didn't completely do the job?
Does this program create a log as to where you can go back and look at these files?
Also, you might want to create a duplicate (although much smaller) test folder. If you can tell which ones this program fixed, you can throw them in a folder along with some ones that you know are good. do all the scans and whatever and see if it crashes. If it does, then pull out the bad ones. reset everything and rescan. If it doesn't crash at that point. Then you know it's the bad mp3s that the free program says are fixed but really aren't.
These are just some suggestions because I really dont know. I am just guessing. But if you really would like to get this feature working, its a start.
Juanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2010, 18:49   #91
ivanalbright

Thank you for the reply, thats a great idea and I can only imagine it would probably work fine with a small selection of files. Unfortunately after hours of trying to troubleshoot this, even though I likely do have a few corrupt mp3s in my collection still, I decided it is not worth any more trouble.

I have started using the Zune software instead; it's playlist generator scans my mp3s just fine without any errors or constant crashes.

I really hope the winamp team can resolve this issue in the future--both itunes and the zune software now have built in playlist generators that work fine with the same mp3 library and I think this is a big feature of music playing software. I don't see why the winamp scan can't just skip corrupted files?
Old 10th April 2011, 14:48   #92
arcticsunrize

I also have this problem. I'm running the most recent version of winamp, I've tried everything short or reinstalling windows 7 on my pc trying to get it to work. Has anyone else fixed this problem?

I'm in the process of cleaning up my library, identifying possible problem MP3 files, has anyone discovered a way to identify which file is actually causing gracenote to crash? Any other suggestions and advice would be appreciated!

Also, the newest winamp, 5.61 has not fixed this issue.

Last edited by arcticsunrize; 10th April 2011 at 14:49. Reason: more info added
arcticsunrize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2011, 17:16   #93
riffer

I've never been able to get Nullsoft/AOL to admit there's a bug in their database code, but clearly there is. The best thing to do is start the gracenote plugin scanning your collection and keep an eye in it in your preferences. Get an idea of what percentage it reaches before crashing.
Once you know what that is (20%, 80%, whatever), re-do the scan and let it run to something close to that percentage and then tell it to stop the scan.
When it stops, it keeps what it has indexed so far, so you don't lose the progress. Than exit Winamp entirely to make sure the application saves all its settings and closes out it's databases.
Start-up Winamp and start the gracenote scan again. Hopefully it'll complete this time. If it doesn't, just repeat these steps.
I know it's tedious but it works for me.
Old 18th October 2011, 20:12   #94
stopasking
Banned

Still crashes in 5.621. You'd think it would have been fixed by now...
stopasking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 20:15   #95
DrO

no one on the dev team can reproduce it so how can it be reproduced.

and asking once again, what is with the spam like links in your signature? if i don't hear back within 24hrs then i can only assume that it is spam and your account has been compromised again, with the signature being removed and your account locked for a temporary time.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2011, 20:27   #96
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
to those having problems:

by any chance, do you all embed artwork? what tags other than id3v2.3 are in your files?

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support