Old 7th October 2004, 21:37   #121
Peyton

Hey I tried to use GSpot, but I got confused.

I downloaded GSpot, but I was unable to find out what codecs I need to install. How do you use GSpot? When do I press Render in the DirectShow section? Can someone give me the steps of how to use GSpot?

I think with the correct codes I will be able to get video and sound.
Peyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2004, 09:48   #122
gaekwad2
Foorum King

You did load the video with GSpot (right-click on it and choose open with > GSpot or use the '...' button in GSpot)?

What happens when you press Render?

Since you've installed Windows Media 8/9 the one you're missing could be WM 7.
Luckily ffdshow can decode that, you may have to enable it in its configuration (Start menu > programs > ffdshow > Configuration > Codecs).
gaekwad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2004, 20:11   #123
Peyton

gaekwad, I did what you said. I find out that many codecs were disabled in the configuration. How do I enable them? Can you give me the steps of how to do this in ffdshow?
Old 8th October 2004, 20:22   #124
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Click on where it says disabled, you'll get a drop down menu to choose from. But be careful, some of them are disabled because they're broken and if you already have another codec for the format you don't need to enable it in ffdshow either.
Old 9th October 2004, 00:23   #125
Peyton

Can you tell me what codecs I will need to download or enable for me to play WINAMP or any other media player successful? I want to be able to get both video and sound, but I'm very new to this codec stuff. I just need to basically know what codecs to get.

I'm running Windows 98. I have Windows Media Player 7.1 and WINAMP 5.05. So what are all of the codes that I will need to make them play efficiently?
Old 9th October 2004, 00:54   #126
gaekwad2
Foorum King

That depends entirely on what videos you have.

Load them in GSpot, see what it reports, then maybe just enter it in google.

And if the files play fine in Windows Media Player but not in Winamp it may not be a codec problem at all.

If you want to learn about these things, the best place imo is www.doom9.org and its forum.
Old 9th October 2004, 03:44   #127
Peyton

The videos I have are in .wmv

Thanks for the link. I'll try to learn about this stuff.
Old 22nd October 2004, 06:30   #128
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

He keeps you quite busy, doesn't he?
Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 23:25   #129
akt101298

I've downloaded all the codec packs listed above (ok have no clue how to use them - should they show as plugins?), and still i cant get any of the music videos on winamp.com to play! just loads winamp 5.05 and sits there doing nothing.

Please help.

Win XP, Pentium 4 3.06ghz, 512ram, RADEON 9000

What other info is reqd?
akt101298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2004, 10:29   #130
ing_Ing23

http://********

[Edit --> Nunzio390]
Forums Rules violation. Link removed.
ing_Ing23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2004, 12:09   #131
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
@ ing_Ing23...

You've just joined this forum and have posted 3 times in Winamp Tech Support, in 3 different and unrelated threads with the express purpose of pimping your site. What makes matters worse is that 2 of the 3 threads you posted this nonsense in are forum Stickies. The link has been removed in your above post and has been removed from all other posts as well. If this continues... if there is one more post like this, you will be immediately banned, without warning. Consider this your warning.

From the Forums Rules...
Advertising
- Advertising or soliciting other members to buy, sell or peruse any products or services through this discussion forum is not permitted. Chain letters and junk mail are also strictly prohibited. Topics/posts that contain this will be both edited and locked.

Spamming
- Topics/posts that are just complete nonsense will be deleted, or have the entire thread locked, at the moderators discretion. If you violate this rule, your account may be automatically banned without prior warning.
*Note: this same reply has been posted in all 3 threads where you violated Forums Rules. Therefore you can consider yourself to have been warned 3 times prior to any banning.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2004, 13:07   #132
Nunzio390
Nugatory Aluminator
Look it up

Send a message via AIM to Nunzio390 Send a message via Yahoo to Nunzio390
Quote:
Originally posted by akt101298
I've downloaded all the codec packs listed above (ok have no clue how to use them - should they show as plugins?), and still i cant get any of the music videos on winamp.com to play! just loads winamp 5.05 and sits there doing nothing.

Please help.

Win XP, Pentium 4 3.06ghz, 512ram, RADEON 9000

What other info is reqd?
Don't install codec "packs". Packs are no good and can only cause problems. After you run GSpot to find out which specific codec(s) is/are needed then go here to download and install that/those codec(s).

*Note: codecs are to be installed in Windows, and not in Winamp.

Don't email or PM me concerning Winamp. Instead, either start a NEW TOPIC or post a REPLY in the appropriate thread in these forums. This will also benefit others who may have a similar question or problem. But before posting, please first Search the forums and read all FAQs and all Sticky threads.

ORB Remote Broadcast

[ Automated Jukebox | Nunzio's Home | Wacky Videos | Solve the Prunella Puzzle! ]
[ LINE RIDER! | My Resume | Virtual Chess | Composite Sketch | My Niece's Band ]
[ Plugins by Joonas | DrO's Winamp Plugins and Extras | K-Jöfol ]
Nunzio390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2004, 19:10   #133
scott_freestyle

im having the same problem
im using Winamp 5. is there any way to fix it?
scott_freestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2004, 19:21   #134
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Please don't crosspost (continue here).
Old 24th November 2004, 20:11   #135
winterhavok

Send a message via ICQ to winterhavok Send a message via AIM to winterhavok Send a message via Yahoo to winterhavok
Celeron D 2.4Ghz - processor
256MB DDR - memory
GeForce2 MX 100/200 - video card
Windows XP - OS
WMP10 - windows media player
DirectX 9.0c

I am unable to view .avi when I run it in Winamp 5.06 Pro. I have turned off the overlay feature and it still doesn't work. I can hear the sound fine and the avi will play in windows media player, but it just stays black in Winamp 5.
winterhavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2004, 13:18   #136
! catalog

hmm... have no idea.
it works fine for me.
Old 2nd January 2005, 15:53   #137
ckline

Send a message via AIM to ckline
Re: Maybe this is a workaround?

This fixed my problem, but now video playback and audio are choppy, and its very annoying. I'm going to try fiddling with some CPU thread settings to see if that fixes the poor performance.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Seltsam
I found a workaround for the problem who works on my machine. Maybe it will help others to.

Winamp uses on my machine the Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder to playback mpeg files.
When you playback the mpeg and you don't have a picture but sound, open the menu File->View File Info.
In the listbox 'currently used filters' doubleclick the appropriate decoder entry, in my case 'Cyberlink Video/SP Decoder'.
Be sure that the checkbox 'Use Hardware Accelerator' is checked.
Click the OK Button to close the dialog.
After that, stop the playback and restart it, et voila, picture and sound until the next start of winamp.

Update : It's sufficient to just open and close the View file info dialog, then to stop/start playback again
ckline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2005, 23:03   #138
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Cyberlink's decoder is crap.

In my experience Gabest's works much better.
Old 13th January 2005, 13:17   #139
hopesanddreams

When I play videos in Winamp I can't see the picture but I can hear the sound. My computer is up to date; I have Windows XP, DirectX 9, WMP 10, etc. I doubt that it is a codec problem because everything plays fine on WMP 10. And I had this problem before when I had an earlier version of Winamp (5.+) and eventually I was able to get it working fine (but I dont know what I did). But I had to restore my computer and now I am having the same problems. I tried everything in this thread but it didn't anything at all. And I didn't do anything similar (to any suggestions in the thread) the first time I fixed it. And I don't think that it was anything I downloaded (that made me unable to view videos) because after I restored my computer Winamp (5.08) was one of the first things I downloaded, and it's been like this since I first installed it.
An intresting thing that I found out is that if I play a video (it wont work if I play a MP3 first) in WMP 10 and then keep WMP 10 open, then all the videos will work fine in Winamp. But if I just view the file info, then stop the video, and play it agian, the video screen won't even pop up; until I close Winamp and then open it agian. And if I close WMP 10, then videos will no longer play in Winamp. Can anybody explian this? And also, isn't there a way to dedicate a program to open a specific type of file (example: WMP open just/all video files)? If so, how do you do it?
hopesanddreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2005, 18:45   #140
gaekwad2
Foorum King

Go to Preferences > Video and uncheck Allow hardware overlay.
Old 13th January 2005, 23:35   #141
hopesanddreams

I tried that already. Actually, I do remember having that unchecked, but there has to be more to it.

Last edited by hopesanddreams; 14th January 2005 at 01:13.
hopesanddreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 22:27   #142
tweetan

plays only mpg

I had this same problem, only that my winamp is able to play mpg and mpeg but not avi, asf, wma and so on, then I can only hear the sound but not see the picture. I tried the overlay button but it didn't work. My winamp says asf and so on is enabled. I used to be able to play those files when I had realplayer, but when i installed winamp 5 now suddenly it doesn't work. I'll try to re-install it and see what happens. I read a help-doc but it said that some players are not able to play .ogg, .avi and so on, but my player can play audio .ogg-files. What should I do? (I have not encoded it because I don't know what it is or how to do it. please give me some help. I will try and search the helpdocs, too.)
tweetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 22:43   #143
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The point of this sticky is for people to actually read it.
All known solutions have already been posted :/
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2005, 22:48   #144
tweetan

Alright sorry I'll read it again then.. I read everything but in the end it all sounded the same, maybe because i'm not good at english, or maybe because i'm not good at computers.. but i still don't know what a codec is?

edited---

another thing I don't get.. if I download a codec from windows media player, won't the file-types get played in windows media player then? and i want them to get played in winamp, i don't want windows media player?

Last edited by tweetan; 15th January 2005 at 23:07.
tweetan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2005, 16:47   #145
rbeck1123

I am having a simliar problem except i cannot connect at all it stays at connecting to host forever and never connects!!! need help and suggestions?
rbeck1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 20:19   #146
kvata

i have downloaded movies from e mule in winamp format. I gat sound but do not have video . Does anyone knows how to fix this problem?
Thanks
kvata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 20:27   #147
siebe83
Forum King

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
The point of this sticky is for people to actually read it.
All known solutions have already been posted :/
Quote:
Originally posted by Nunzio390
After you run GSpot to find out which specific codec(s) is/are needed then go here to download and install that/those codec(s).

*Note: codecs are to be installed in Windows, and not in Winamp.
If you need help afterwards, feel free to post back here.

Good Winamp plugins by Joonas, DrO and shaneh.
If you're bored go here or, if the boredom is more serious, here.
siebe83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2005, 20:46   #148
JonnyMac

Use this screenshot for help and info on using GSpot. Credit and thanks to billyvnilly for the screenshot.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2005, 02:14   #149
al3xlavin

hi , is interesting
al3xlavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2005, 15:37   #150
Moog

Hi. Trying to play a short video with a "wmv" extension described as a "winamp media file." As with the others, all I get is sound; the screen either displays the fixed Nullsoft logo or if I prefer an animated "visualizer."

My system details as best as I can tell:

Win 98
Intel Mobile Pentium (r) II MMX [processor speed not indicated, I seem to recall in the 200-300 range]
64.0 MB RAM
NeoMagic Magic Media 256 AV
WMP 7.1

I unchecked Allow hardware overlay; didn't help.

Results of GSpot:

"DirectShow partially succeeded to play file. The actual text of the error or warning is:

0x00040257: VFW_S_VIDEO_NOT_RENDERED - Cannot play back the video stream: no suitable decompressor could be found.

The following combination of filters were used:

{Windows Media Source Filter} (Audio Source)
{ASF ACM Handler} (Audio Pre-processor)
{Windows Media Audio Decoder} (Audio Decoder)
{Default DirectSound Device} (Audio Renderer)"

BTW I don't think it's a hardware problem as I'm able to play videos thru Real Player' but that won't work for this since it's a winamp file.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Moog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2005, 20:39   #151
RobD

Hi,
I'm trying to get WA to play a *.wmv file.. plays audio, no video.. try the same file in WM8 without any problems

I'm running WA 5.08e, on a Dell latitude 600 with a Mobil Radeon 9000 w/ latest drivers and XP Pro.
I was running WA 5.07 and everything was working fine. I had issues with other software and and ended up de-installing all non-essential sw .. XP was repaired fixing my issue. I then reinstalled all sw but WA wouldn't play video files. I then downloaded 5.08e, removed 5.07, but that didn't resolved the issue..

I've installed latest WM9 codes, no help, installed latest Directx , no help..

I then installed GSpot and rendered a file.. I get

file is ASF(.wmv/.wma)
stream type is video/x-ms-asf
in the render window, the video path is empty and it notes a partial failure during rendering..

failure shows: 0x00457 vfw_s_video_not_rendered.
no suitable decompressor could be found.
RobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2005, 22:37   #152
engeneral

http://www.carloscapote.com/biografia/prometedor.html
engeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2005, 00:04   #153
Kashya

Okay, I can watch internet tv but not videos. Trying to watch an avi file but can't see the picture. Trying unchecking overlap thing, but it comes up somthing about drivers..

Help!
Kashya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st March 2005, 20:22   #154
cadec

is Ok
http://www.iguanaflash.com.ar
http://www.laventanasecreta.com.ar
http://www.compusado.es.vg

full
cadec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2005, 22:48   #155
Kashya

After trying my file in media player, I've discovered I need a codec. Can someone direct me to a site where i can download the required codec?
Old 28th March 2005, 22:55   #156
JonnyMac

See DJ Egg’s reply from this thread or go here.

[edit > JonnyMac]fixed link[/edit]

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2005, 23:14   #157
Kashya

Thanks, but I just found an awesome website that has "all codecs in one" download. It fixed everything. Right now, I'm happily watching my Inuyasha.
Old 1st April 2005, 21:38   #158
derpate85

Send a message via ICQ to derpate85 Send a message via AIM to derpate85
he whats the site where you can download all codecs at once??
derpate85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 15:47   #159
///HCC\\\

Send a message via AIM to ///HCC\\\
Guys, im very new to the forums. I was tired of how my videos didn't play but just the sound. I tried Gspot and im very new to that too. One of my videos that didn't play in Window Media PLayer did not work I loaded up G Spot and it fixed itself using what it said to use. I think the codecs did it all itself. I dont like Windows MEdia PLayer, so i choose Winamp, im still having troubles with the video not showing, but my point is, get Gspot read it and do what you can.
///HCC\\\ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2005, 22:27   #160
sephiroth111

i just had the same issue/solution in winamp 5, so here are my specs.

Direct X version 9.0c
---------------
Display Devices
---------------
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5700LE
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0343&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor
Monitor Max Res:
Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6693 (English)
DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 10/29/2004 17:50:00, 3736704 bytes
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
VDD: n/a
Mini VDD: nv4_mini.sys
Mini VDD Date: 10/29/2004 17:50:00, 2826944 bytes
Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-4003-11CF-9579-0A2000C2CB35}
Vendor ID: 0x10DE
Device ID: 0x0343
SubSys ID: 0x00000000