Old 15th November 2003, 13:40   #1
xebechene

Modern skin and WinXP

I'm a new member here, anyway I want to let you know about a suggestion, it doesn't really enter in the 5 wishlist, but something aside:

I really like your modern skin with and the colour schemes, and I decided to search themes for WinXP similar to this Modern skin, however I didn't found anything that could worth it.

So I'm suggesting your talented skiner could make Modern skin for WinXP, with colours as Winamp have (especially the Blood one, i really like it, btw it could be renamed Red Wine (well that last point doesnt really matter))

Is there some ppl around interrested by a WinXP Modern skin ?
xebechene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2003, 21:09   #2
Rellik
Major Dude

It's really just a matter of writing a XML document that has the colors set and everything. See thread for more info.

I hope someone will write a small util/plugin that you can customise the the modern skin colors with(like in early builds of WA3), but it might be a little while because WA5 hasn't even gone final yet.
Rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2003, 21:13   #3
SOOPRcow

Send a message via AIM to SOOPRcow
There will be a color theme editor released in some sort of plugin back (or maybe even standalone?) after wa5 comes out of beta.

David Serrano :: Winamp5 Skining Guru
SOOPRcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2003, 22:04   #4
xebechene

that could be great, but what about a XP Modern theme, for me it sounds great, i hope other ppl want it
Old 17th November 2003, 19:06   #5
ILUsion

IMHO it would be even better to have beside "standard skins", "modern skins" something called "Windows XP skins" to get its style from a manifest (Windows XP skin implementation) and a sort of icon package (compare this with an icon pack for Mozilla or some other program that uses this kind of styling) to make play, stop, pause, etc. buttons to go with these themes.
An make a special SDK for this new kind of skins to call different parts from the Windows XP style (example: put the arrow from that part of explorer (or task bar) in that corner of WinAmp; the active title bar on that part)
I know some skins on this principal will look ugly, while other will look great in your working environment.
ILUsion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2003, 19:24   #6
net-cruizer

Quote:
Originally posted by ILUsion
IMHO it would be even better to have beside "standard skins", "modern skins" something called "Windows XP skins" to get its style from a manifest (Windows XP skin implementation) and a sort of icon package (compare this with an icon pack for Mozilla or some other program that uses this kind of styling) to make play, stop, pause, etc. buttons to go with these themes.
An make a special SDK for this new kind of skins to call different parts from the Windows XP style (example: put the arrow from that part of explorer (or task bar) in that corner of WinAmp; the active title bar on that part)
I know some skins on this principal will look ugly, while other will look great in your working environment.
Now that would be an awsome feature.
It definitely would be cool if Winamp automaticly switched to match the current Visual Style being used.
net-cruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2003, 21:11   #7
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

yes, I agree, 110%

Why make something idiot proof?? Someone will only make a better idiot!
WhiteRayven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2003, 21:53   #8
Dipso

I'd rather have a xp theme based on wa5 hehe

Phear the headbanging llama!!!

http://dipso.deviantart.com <- Art, Graphics, Photography.
Dipso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2003, 23:00   #9
WHEREamI
Major Dude

if you want winamp to look like windows.... then what's the point of a skinnable interface?? hey, just go back to Winamp 1.0! it not skinned, and it has a nice title bar, and menues.....

and that's all it has. hehe.
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 03:11   #10
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
I'd rather have a xp theme based on wa5 hehe
Even Better

If you find one let me know

Old 18th November 2003, 16:01   #11
ILUsion

using the old WA1?
This wouldn't be convenient, I guess
Old 18th November 2003, 16:01   #12
ILUsion

Quote:
Originally posted by WHEREamI
if you want winamp to look like windows.... then what's the point of a skinnable interface?? hey, just go back to Winamp 1.0! it not skinned, and it has a nice title bar, and menues.....

and that's all it has. hehe.
In that case, you'ld miss tons of features:
- XP style (what we are talking about)
- all playback features from WA2 and WA5

What I was talking about is a skin SDK to get some part from the windows interface (of XP, of course) to let skinners fit the skin in Windows more fluently [and that is one of the points of skinning, to make it look great on your own environment, not to make it look totally different from your XP style] . So it would be possible to make the title bar of WA5 appear as a normal title bar OR as any other alement of Windows (for example: to mke it look like the task bar and let the title appear in a flashing button)
Old 18th November 2003, 19:20   #13
WHEREamI
Major Dude

:ahem: it was a joke. ha ha ha?

But seriously, i do think that it would destroy the whole point of skinning.

Also, the skinning engine (Wasabi) is meant to be platform-independant, so it's just not going to happen.

~WHEREamI
WHEREamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 21:30   #14
Alltaken

WHEREamI

first off, why would it destroy the point of skining if you can also have the windows theme???

i don't see anywhere in the skinners manual that says "thou must make it look different from the OS"

basicly as long as it ADDS funtion and doesn't REMOVE the current skining features then i think its a great idea.

i searched for ages looking for a suitable WinXp skin for winamp , and i got one. but it would have been so much nicer to have just had it automaticly be there.

also its only good for if i use the silver setup, what if i change to green, blue, pink etc... then tis all of a sudden out of place and i get frustrated.

if i wanted to have a work of art on my desktop i would perhaps use a skin, but that would then clash with my backgrounds (which i make myself as i am an artist/animator)

the only skin i would ever use is one i made myself or one that complimetns my setup. and currently thats the default winxp style LOL

Alltaken
Alltaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 21:37   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

So, basically, someone needs to make a WinXP Skin, with all color schemes available, and if you get any new themes that don't match, then you use the (soon to be available) color editor to create color themes to match.

Note, the default modern skin already has a WinXP theme (the default blue/green one), so you could even use the color editor to modify it.
Not sure if it was in Beta 2, but in 5.0 Final it's listed as Winamp XP.

Whatever the case, I suggest you post any further wishes in the Winamp3 Skins Forum, soon to be renamed to Modern Skins when Winamp 5.0 is released (very very soon).

Sorry, but realistically, that's the nearest you're gonna get for now.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2003, 23:34   #16
Rellik
Major Dude

DJ Egg, I think that XP color theme came after beta 2 and is likely this color theme.

if anybody want's to install that color theme into beta2 then just install this color theme pack. which has quite a selection plus the Winamp XP color theme for the Modern skin
Old 18th November 2003, 23:47   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Aah! It's possible that the WinampXP theme isn't included in the default 5.0 Final setup then. Instead, it's more likely that I got it from the Color Themes thread you linked to... lol
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 00:11   #18
Rellik
Major Dude

You are probably right DJ Egg, ThE_SuRViVoR_ isn't in the credits page screenshot that Will posted here
Old 19th November 2003, 01:26   #19
shznyt

I'm not sure if this will help you, but here is a link to a Windowblinds theme based on the W5 modern skin. Pretty close to what you were asking for!

http://www.wincustomize.com/download...D=3662&LibID=1
shznyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 01:40   #20
Rellik
Major Dude

Here's a link to the descripton of the WA5 WB skin, rather than a direct download.

personally, I think it needs a bit of work(title bar could be a bit bigger for one), and also skins that use rounded taskbar buttons really bug me, I think they waste precious taskbar space with the rounded edges
Old 19th November 2003, 03:12   #21
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by Rellik
DJ Egg, I think that XP color theme came after beta 2 and is likely this color theme.

if anybody want's to install that color theme into beta2 then just install this color theme pack. which has quite a selection plus the Winamp XP color theme for the Modern skin
I just downloaded that "theme pack" and I am rather dissapointed

Old 19th November 2003, 16:46   #22
The_Drake

Quote:
I just downloaded that "theme pack" and I am rather dissapointed
Me too. Heh, but what do you want? It's free!
The_Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2003, 17:13   #23
WhiteRayven
Major Dude

Yeah, I figured out why they sucked

Old 19th November 2003, 22:12   #24
xebechene

Quote:
I'm not sure if this will help you, but here is a link to a Windowblinds theme based on the W5 modern skin. Pretty close to what you were asking for!
yep that's exactly what i wanted, i think the skin could be improved a bit, but that's enough for me, however i hope i can found a normal xp theme, not a windowblind theme.

maybe it will just miss the colors pack
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion