Old 1st November 2011, 09:00   #1
technohead95

Winamp no longer responds to Bluetooth headset

Until a couple of updates ago, I used to be able to click the play button on my Bluetooth stereo headphones which would immediately load Winamp and start playing the last file that was played. This would happen regardless of the state of the phone even if the phone had just rebooted. However, a recent update (in the last couple of weeks) has now changed this feature. It only behaves in this way if the application has recently been launched. However, if I have not used the application in a while (possibly when Android has killed the Winamp process) or when the phone has been rebooted, Winamp is no longer launched by the play button on my headphones.

It's as if a previous version used to run a service listening to the play button but now the service is no longer running or is no longer listening to the play button.

Is it possible to re-introduce/fix this functionality back to how it was?

TIA
technohead95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2011, 21:25   #2
bigvikesfan

Same here

I am experiencing the same issue with Wimamp not responding to Bluetooth control from my car stereo. Please let me know how or when this might be resolved. It started with v1.2.x and of course now I've bought the pro version so I'm even more disappointed.

Thanks.
bigvikesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 09:08   #3
Robert.T.Online

Same Problem

Bluetooth Playback does not start when trying to initiate from car stereo.

As a workaround I start Winamp at my phone and set it on pause. After that I can control it. But this is not very satisfying.

Hope this bletooth issue will be fixed!
Robert.T.Online is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 09:12   #4
technohead95

I've noticed several updates to Winamp with no resolution to this issue or not official response to this thread. I've now moved over to PlayerPro Music Player which meets my needs exactly (as Winamp once did but no longer does). They have a 7 day free trial after which I'll need to spend a small amount to buy the full version. Not a big deal for an application that meets my needs.
Old 6th November 2011, 22:16   #5
matthelm

Have you turned on the "Control Headset" in the settings?
matthelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 22:21   #6
technohead95

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthelm View Post
Have you turned on the "Control Headset" in the settings?
Yes, already tried that quite a while back but didn't make a difference.
Old 7th November 2011, 01:58   #7
sunnyto

I also encounted the same problem.
After I plugged my wired earphone into my HTC Desire and press the "Play" button of my earphone, My phone started the pre-loaded Music App
I have updated the WinAMP App to the latest version, also tried un/reinstall but none of them were help
So what is the problem on the WinAMP App, or on my phone? How can I listen to music with WinAMP without manually start WinAMP?

PS: WinAMP App and my earphone work just fine before I updated WinAMP App, after that, they don't work anymore.
sunnyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2011, 13:49   #8
rrozema

I have used winamp v1.0, 1.1 and 1.1.1 with my bluetooth car-radio and it worked fluently: when I started the car, bluetooth automatically connected and winamp resumed playing from where it left off when I stopped the car. The controls on my steering wheel would give me control over playback on the phone: next, previous, play, pause, stop. Sound quality was excellent. While navigating (Google maps), when a spoken direction was given, the music automatically muted and resumed after the directions were done. For an incoming call, again the music was muted and resumed automatically.

Then, since the 1.2 update this all changed for the worse, there were slight variations in behavior with some of the minor updates, but on version 1.2.5 I now have to start winamp manually every time I start the car (i.e. dig up my phone from my pocket, start winamp, press play - all actions forbidden by law while driving in the Netherlands) and then I can use the controls on my steering wheel to go to the next or previous song in my playlist. But, as soon as winamp is not the front most application on my phone, these controls do nothing any more. Thus I can for example, not control the music while having navigation running. Also, the music does not mute any more when a step-by-step navigation is spoken, i.e. usually I do not understand what was said and have to look at the screen, which is not shown because winamp is the front most application. Nor does the music resume any more from where it stopped after an incoming phone call, it does not resume at all any more...

My phone is a HTC Desire running android v2.2. My car stereo is the standard radio in a Mazda 5 business ed. which supports bluetooth a2dp streaming audio.

This way winamp has become completely useless to me. Please bring back the old functionality or provide a way to downgrade to any of those pre 1.2 versions. I used to be a big fan of winamp, but now I have to go and look for an alternative...
rrozema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 03:30   #9
matthelm

Well, as you see above, my Bluetooth WAS working fine. Tonight, when I got in my car to drive home, I ran into the same problem all of you are having. My radio will NOT control Winamp at all. I had to switch to the built in music player to even get sound. Sure don't know what the heck went wrong, but when it does, nothing will fix it!
matthelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 18:06   #10
wkpalan

I had the same problem for a long time.

I unchecked the "Control Headset" checkbox and checked it again after the latest update, and it seems to be working on my Motorola Bluetooth headset.
wkpalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 18:41   #11
ChocoboX

I am in the same as you guys. CM7.1 and latest Winamp does not respond well to bluetooth from my JVC unit. It used to work but not anymore. I get the default player now starting instead. I don't know what to do and it is very frustrating. Why there is no official response here? I can a lot of people having the same problem.

Also the name of the song on the JVC car stereo always comes from the default player and NEVER from winamp. Even if Winamp for Android is playing the song through the unit when I hit the play button on Winamp I get the name of the song from the default player showing up and PAUSE word.

Please fix Winamp team. (I already checked Control Headset in settings)
ChocoboX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 09:01   #12
rrozema

almost back to normal

With winamp v1.2.7 the bluetooth controls on my steering wheel (for the car stereo) are now working again, but only after I started winamp first. If I simply start the car and do nothing, automatically bluetooth connects, then automatically the default media player starts (not winamp). Also then the default player responds to the steering wheel controls: play, pause, stop, next prev. I need to go on the phone screen, stop the default player, start winamp (either from the widget or by starting winamp from the applications list) and only from then on winamp responds to the steering wheel controls.

Please fix this so that winamp starts by default (as it used to do before v1.2).

Plus, still music does not mute during step-by-step navigation instructions from Navigation (Google Maps) like it used to do when Google Maps had it's own volume control. This problem exists due to a change in Google Maps, but the default player DOES mute (so it is possible even though it does not resume after the instruction is done) but winamp DOESN'T mute at all.
rrozema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2011, 14:20   #13
antdos

Smile Workaround

So I had a similar problem with needing to start winamp before it would respond to headset events - in this case a physical headset, but I don't see any reason this wouldn't work for a bluetooth one. So here's my workaround (until they fix it properly anyway!)

1. Install the AutomateIt app:
https://market.android.com/details?i...It.mainPackage

2. Make a new rule, with:
Trigger: Headset Plug State / plugged
Action: Start Application / Winamp

3. Rejoice

I imagine Tasker will let you do the same thing (probably in a slightly more complicated but powerful way) if you already have that installed.
antdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2011, 04:51   #14
tedporter

My sanity is partially restored

These forums don't necessarily find solutions for everything but on this occasion, at least I know I'm not going crazy. One day, bluetooth streaming to my Sony Xplod car stereo is fine. The next day (most likely after an auto-update) it doesn't. Well, like so many others, it does if I manually start WA but when I push play in my car stereo, it starts the default built-in POS. I, too, switched to MixZing. Good but not as good as WA was before they apparently stuffed things up. Still waiting on an official solution. I'll try some of the things you have all suggested but I may just end up being another 'former WinAmp user'. I always thought it was priority 1 to keep your customers not find new ways of sending them to your competition.
tedporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2011, 18:43   #15
hambcastle

All efforts so far failed

Same issue. My bluetooth headset goes to the stock music player instead of WinAmp. Tried file browsing to an MP3 and setting WinAmp as the default program to open it. No help. Tried deselecting Control Headset within WinAmp. Rebooted. Reselected Control Headset. Rebooted. Still no help. Hopefully next update fixes it.
hambcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 18:53   #16
howlingfang

This problem still exists. Is anyone at nullsoft looking at this problem?
howlingfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & SHOUTcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp for Android