Old 5th July 2000, 21:32   #1
Karim

I've just installed the latest version of Winamp (v2.64) in Windows NT (Service Pack 5).

It runs just fine, but when I exit the program, the Winamp process does not exit (as viewed in the Task Manager).

I thought that maybe it hangs around in case you run it again (ie. it reuses the existing process), but if I run it again and exit again I have 2 processes hanging around. This can be done as many times as you wish.

More bizarre is that it doesn't always do this; sometimes the process will exit, but only if you do something first (ie. not just start it and immediately exit).

Any ideas anyone??
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2000, 21:48   #2
rm'
Banned

I think the problem maybe that the winamp agent, not winamp itself is showing up in the task manager. To remove the agent: Prefs -> Agent -> Uncheck 'Enable Winamp Agent'

------------------
In all of your posts
Write a tremendously lame
And pointless haiku

Breaking from routine,
I shall no longer write a
Second haiku here
rm' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2000, 21:59   #3
Karim

Nope, I don't have the agent activated...
Karim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2000, 00:11   #4
Silverfish

I am having the same problem with Winamp 2.7 on NT 4.0 SP 5.

Not only does winamp.exe not exit, I cannot kill it via the task manager. Logging out and back in doesn't seem to help. The only thing that will cause winamp.exe to exit is a reboot.

How an OS can fail to terminate an executable is beyond me, but that's Winblows for ya.
Silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2000, 03:46   #5
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

Silverfish -

Do you have any non-Nullsoft plugins installed or enabled? Quite often, errors that occur when closing Winamp are caused by not-so-well-written third-party plugins.

Make a list of any non-Nullsoft Input, Visualization, DSP/Effect, or General Purpose plugins you have, including the filename of the corresponding DLL file. Then close Winamp, go to your Plugins folder, and rename each of those DLL files (for example, rename xxx.dll to xxx.dll.old).

Open Winamp, play a file or two, and then try to close it. If it closes properly, go to the Plugins folder and restore the original filename of one of the renamed DLL files.

Repeat the process until Winamp fails to close properly. The most recently-restored plugin will probably be the cause of your problem.

If this doesn't apply, post a reply with any extra info you can provide and we will try again.

[This message has been edited by Reverend Ike (edited December 13, 2000).]
Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2000, 23:50   #6
Silverfish

Thanks for the idea, Ike. I was using all the same dll's under 2.6x, so didn't think they would be the problem. However, the problem was in fact with "out_gapless.dll"

I still say NT sucks for not being able to force winamp.exe to exit, though. I mean if a "good" app like Winamp can do this accidentally, how well can the OS be protecting you from folks with malicious intent?

Thanks again, Ike!

PS You wouldn't happen to know the Reverend Horton Heat, would you?
Old 15th December 2000, 00:06   #7
Reverend Ike
Evangelical Alumni

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Silverfish:
... PS You wouldn't happen to know the Reverend Horton Heat, would you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I've got some of his music in my collection but, no, I don't know him personally ...

Reverend Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2000, 00:54   #8
Silverfish

I just figured you Reverends might run in the same circles
Old 18th June 2001, 15:25   #9
ThaSarge

i experienced the same problem with winamp 2.76 under Windows 2000 Professional, and i had 1 3rd party plugin installed, so i renamed the corresponding dll, and tried again, and it works fine now!

For the record it was the mIRC Control Plugin, the dll was called gen_ircex.dll...
ThaSarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2001, 21:01   #10
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Problems with mIRC Ex plugin:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=45626

keyword = gen_mircex.dll
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2002, 22:12   #11
]SK[

Send a message via ICQ to ]SK[
After a search for this problem as I am currently experiencing, I found that the plugin was the problem.

I installed DFX for a quick play with then uninstalled it. After having the problems I found this post. I went to the plugins config in winamp and found that DFX was still selected so I chose 'None'. Seems this is the fix!. Maybe with winamp3 make sure that the plugin fire is really there. If its not on winamp startup default it to None.

Tnx for the help guys, and sorry to bring a dead thred alive.

Goes to show though that if you search the forums you usually find your answer. Untill next time RTFM.
]SK[ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2002, 23:43   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Yes, if Winamp process isn't closing properly on exit, you can be guaranteed it's a dodgy 3rd-party plugin to blame. Always check the author's website for an updated version first. If one doesn't exist, report the problem to the author (and provide full sys specs & Winamp version). They won't be aware of the problem otherwise.

btw, you said you uninstalled DFX... but you can't have done, otherwise the plugin would not still be showing up in the Prefs. If there's no uninstaller provided, make sure you delete the actual plugin, not just the associated subdir in Winamp\Plugins (this could cause even further problems). In WA2, all plugin files (default & 3rd-party) have the .DLL extension and are all in the actual plugin dir (not subdir's), eg. C:\...\Winamp\Plugins\dsp_dfx.dll

Further info:

RE: How do I remove 3rd-party plug-ins
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=26872
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=26610

Sure, for DSP/FX you can just select "none". But what's the point of having a plugin installed which either causes problems or you can't use?

It's even worse where General Purpose plugins are concerned (gen_*.dll) because all these load @ winamp startup, and some remain hidden so you don't even know they're running.

I think you'll find that many plugins work ok with older versions of Winamp, but many can become incompatible with the newer versions as and when the internal code & default plugin structure changes (eg. v2.666 and 2.79 were/are quite major in that department).
However, some 3rd-party plugins are dodgy from the start and cause problems with all versions of Winamp, especially the ones poorly programmed in Borland / Delphi hehe

The Official 3rd-party Plugin Buglist
Old 23rd April 2002, 08:07   #13
]SK[

Send a message via ICQ to ]SK[
No it has an uninstaller provided but the dll is still sat in winamp. Seems it left that one file behind but uninstalled the rest.
]SK[ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2002, 10:43   #14
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Looks like a bug then?! The DLL should be removed when you uninstall.
I suppose I should add DFX to the Official 3rd-party Plugin Buglist too...
I'm pretty certain there's been a fair few other complaints about this particular plugin over the years. Isn't that the shareware DSP/FX plugin? I'm certainly well against the idea of using shareware plugins with a freeware app. Well out of order, imho. Maybe it unlocks the bugs if you actually purchase the damn thing?

Hmmm...

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/detail...ponentId=50756

No mention of it being shareware there...

See the users comments for more info/proof:
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/review...OT=C&rOI=50756
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support