Old 14th December 2002, 16:55   #1
roy

Copyright

I have purchased the new Shania twain "up" cd and guess what when i try and rip it with my creative play center it automatically cancels the rip-i suspect there is a copyright protection on this cd.-any workarounds beside using the soundcard.

Thanks in advance
roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2002, 17:06   #2
Reaper
Forum King

Use a real CD Ripper..
CDex
EAC

ml_iPod - [Homepage] | [Forums] | [Wiki]
Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2002, 18:01   #3
roy

I have tried both cd rippers you suggested, however both do not see the cd in the drive. I am using a hp dvd writer model dvd200i. the programs think there is no audio disc in the drive.
Old 14th December 2002, 20:50   #4
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

Record the cd using the line in on your soundcard. You should be able to do this using any portable cd player or stereo. A proper line out is preferred (found on most portables and component cd players), but if you dont have access to anything with a proper line out, use the headphone out from a stereo or something. Just remember to disable any equalisers or dsp's.

You can use winamp and the diskwriter output plugin (winamp2) or the diskwriter component (winamp3).

In the playlist, go to add > url (location for wa3) > and type in linein://

Record each track as a .wav, then convert to mp3 or ogg using cdex.

Then return the cd to the place you bought it from. Its a corrupted cd, so you have every right to ask for a refund.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2002, 21:38   #5
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
Record the cd using the line in on your soundcard.
Don't do that, quality will be poor, even if your CD player has a line-out port. Find a way to rip it the proper way, or don't rip it at all.
Some1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2002, 22:11   #6
Atmo
The Freak
(Forum King)

It depends on the quality of the soundcard. Even with my sblive (which isnt known for its recording excellence) i can make decent quality recordings. If done properly, once they've been converted to mp3 or ogg the difference is negligable.

Using optical output, into an optical input on the soundcard will give a close to perfect recording.
Atmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2002, 22:14   #7
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Draw a black line around the edge.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2002, 23:21   #8
Aero Zeppelin
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to Aero Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Aero Zeppelin
Re: Copyright

Quote:
Originally posted by roy
I have purchased the new Shania twain "up" cd and guess what when i try and rip it with my creative play center it automatically cancels the rip-i suspect there is a copyright protection on this cd.-any workarounds beside using the soundcard.

Thanks in advance
I just read your post and then thinking I could do nothing, I went on my way to another site. *********RIAA. And I saw an article about that new album. 2 discs, same songs, same times, just one is rock/pop an the other is country. Under $10. Sounds great. The article didn't mention anything about any problems with it thought, and on that site they would make it known that there were copy protection issues.

http://www.*********riaa.com/article/5745

Maybe it's just that one set that you got is defective. Take it back to where you got it, and tell them it was broken. If they give you any shit, call your lawyer. I dunno, just a suggestion.

Legalize It. Liberate It. Free The People of the United States. Free The Herbs Of The World!
Aero Zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2002, 23:31   #9
Some1
Forum King

I've heard that Blibo's black marker idea WILL do the trick. Also, perhaps you could try using a CD Burning app like Nero to make a CD Image of the disc, and then use something like CD-Mage to extract the image to your HDD...it's a bit tedious but it should work.
Old 15th December 2002, 01:40   #10
roy

how thick must the black line be and i am assuming you draw the line on the outer edge on the non lable side.
Old 15th December 2002, 02:01   #11
Some1
Forum King

Quote:
i am assuming you draw the line on the outer edge on the non lable side.
true.

Quote:
how thick must the black line be
I don't know, I've never used the technique myself...maybe Bilbo knows.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions