Old 15th November 2003, 17:30   #1
peter_goathead

grouping/locking tracks in a playlist

i have a lot of mix cds by various dj. and i love random play.

but nothing is worse then getting a track out of the middle of the mix.

it seems like it should be possible to group songs within a playlist, or even lock a set of tracks to each other. then if one of them played, it would play through the rest of the group.

this idea is kinda like the groupable/lockable layers in photoshop, but using songs instead of layers.

it would be even cooler if random play then only played the first track from a group. but thats icing on the cake as far as i am concerned; i would just like to be able to group songs, so random treats a group as a single song.

make sense?
peter_goathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2003, 18:45   #2
Kickboy12

Send a message via ICQ to Kickboy12 Send a message via AIM to Kickboy12 Send a message via Yahoo to Kickboy12
I get it, but it is in some ways similar to the Enqueue function in Winamp3, which has been implimented in Winamp5 Beta3 i believe (could be wrong). Im sure there will be a feature like this in the finaly release of Winamp5, but not exactly what your talking about. Look at the enqueue function in Winamp3 if you don't know what i mean, but i think that function will do just fine. :P

[@imho] man
[@imho] I had dreams about unit testing last night :-(
[@sim`a] i have nightmares about syntax errors, whats your point
Kickboy12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2003, 07:07   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Nope, Winamp3 style enqueue/dequeue has not been implemented in Winamp yet.
That's why it's still listed and not crossed out in the official Wishlist thread.

Remember, Winamp 5 is the direct upgrade from Winamp 2.(9)x,
built on the same old trusty Winamp win32 core.
Winamp3 is/was/always will be a totally separate product/player
and was built from scratch on the wasabi platform, which made things like "enqueue/dequeue" & "playlist sidecar" possible and easier to implement.

Sure, wasabi drives freeform skin support in Winamp 5, but there's little other connection than that between Winamp3 and Winamp 5, apart from some of the decoders, and the "awesome" factor, heh.

DrO has been working on a few hefty plugins recently.
One of these is Jump to File Extra, which replaces the default 'J' box,
and adds enqueue features, amongst other tasty things.

He's also just started work on his Extended Playlist plugin
which will work to emulate the Winamp3 style playlist.

More info here

(note, Extended Playlist isn't referenced there, but a link can be found in DrO's signature. Also note that the plugin is in very early alpha/preview development stage).

I very much doubt that the Winamp3 style playlist features will be in Winamp 5.0, but maybe Nullsoft will find a method of implementing it in 5.01 or later.

@peter_goathead
I seriously doubt that what you want can be achieved by using Winamp's random/shuffle feature, not in it's current state of form anyway. If there was an album shuffle feature, then yes, maybe it could be done. Not sure though . . . especially if you also want it all to be automated (as opposed to eg. manually enqueuing full albums with other individual tracks inbetween - via the media library, but with shuffle feature 'off').

The group/album locking thing might be possible somehow, but it sounds like a tricky one to me . . . especially as you want it to work in shuffle mode. Though nothing is impossible, or so they say...
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2003, 19:10   #4
peter_goathead

> The group/album locking thing might be possible somehow, but it sounds like a tricky one to me . . . especially as you want it to work in shuffle mode.

well, it seems to me that the shuffle feature is the only place having a group/album mode would be useful. to put it another way, i wonder if there is a way to make a group of songs in a playlist behave (mainly through shuffle) as one track. i dont want to rip albums this way to make it happen (and it would be cool to be able to make my own 'virtual' albums/groups/collections as well).

i know it cant be done right now (and i played with winamp3 for quite some time, but this was some moons ago - i never saw anything that led me to think it was possible in it either). but it seems interesting to me and possible in some form, even if its a winamp-only/playlist window only thing. (i keep envisioning the interface in photoshop for grouping layers.)
Old 16th November 2003, 19:13   #5
peter_goathead

just noticed this small mention of roughly the same feature i am describing...

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=137820
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Wishlist