Old 28th October 2004, 15:53   #1
XebozZ

Hardware Requirements to run a shoutcast server

Does anybody know what are the hardware requirements to run a Shoutcast Server. The guides i've read didn't contain any infos on this.

In a thread i read Shoutcast needs about 1.5 MB per DNAS instance and 14 KB per listener, is that information correct?

Does that mean i could easily host more than 1000 listeners on my P3/1000 with 256 ram?

And what about the CPU requirements? How much CPU does it use per listener?

And finally... whats the best tool to create a playlist my server shall play when there is no live stream. Is there a tool which allows you to organize the playlist (e.g.: only plays rock genre titles from 9:00 to 10:00, etc.)?

Thanks in advance, XebozZ
XebozZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2004, 16:31   #2
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

Re: Hardware Requirements to run a shoutcast server

Quote:
Originally posted by XebozZ
Does anybody know what are the hardware requirements to run a Shoutcast Server. The guides i've read didn't contain any infos on this.

In a thread i read Shoutcast needs about 1.5 MB per DNAS instance and 14 KB per listener, is that information correct?

Does that mean i could easily host more than 1000 listeners on my P3/1000 with 256 ram?
no you can't - uploadspeed / bitrate = max number of listeners.
Quote:

And what about the CPU requirements? How much CPU does it use per listener?
cpu is taken by the winamp player and dnas software , nothing to do with the number of listeners

Quote:

And finally... whats the best tool to create a playlist my server shall play when there is no live stream. Is there a tool which allows you to organize the playlist (e.g.: only plays rock genre titles from 9:00 to 10:00, etc.)?
-stationplaylist
-tabasco amazing clockwheel
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2004, 16:52   #3
ClassicRox

And if you don't know your upload speed, you could always test it through various FREE diagnostic sites online. For instance, you could check it at PC Pit Stop

At least this will give you a good idea as to how many listeners you can host at your chosen bitrate, as mentioned in the previous post.

Click banner to tune in! Broadband only!
ClassicRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2004, 17:10   #4
XebozZ

Ahhh, so running a server which sends data to clients consumes bandwidth? Interesting *writes note* ok, i wrote it down, thank you!

Now, could someone please answer my questions and not tell me stuff i already know...?

(thanks for the advice on the playlist tools tho
Old 28th October 2004, 17:19   #5
ClassicRox

I was answering your original question regarding number of listeners. If your upload speed is 256 kbps, then if your broadcasting at 128 kbps, you could only have a max of 2 listeners. Lower the bitrate, and you increase the number of listeners. For instance, if you have 256 kbps upload bandwidth, and decided to broadcast at 40 kbps, then you could accomodate 6 listeners (i.e. 256 divided by 40 = approx 6... and so forth)

Old 28th October 2004, 17:26   #6
XebozZ

Oh please...
I didn't ever ask how much bandwidth it takes to run a stream server.
I was asking for the HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS so i know whether i can use my crappy p3s as streaming server or not

wouldnt make much sense to waste space in my cabinet if it could only serve like 50 listeners...

so again, what are the hardware requirements to serve 1 listener?
Old 28th October 2004, 17:37   #7
ClassicRox

Yes, of course you can use your P3 to stream audio. The software needed to run streaming audio doesn't take all the much of your systems resources. And it's not dependant on your ability to stream to as many listeners as you want. The only thing that matters there is bandwidth available, which has nothing to do with your hardware.

However, if you wish to stream to more than 50 listeners, it's more than likely that you'll need to stream to a paid server, such as streamguys, for example.

P.S. People who respond to your questions here are not paid to do so. Perhaps you should tone down the sarcasm present in your replies.

Old 28th October 2004, 17:41   #8
NJK
FRISIAN (MOD)

Re: ...

Quote:
Oh please...
I didn't ever ask how much bandwidth it takes to run a stream server.
I was asking for the HARDWARE REQUIREMENTS so i know whether i can use my crappy p3s as streaming server or not

wouldnt make much sense to waste space in my cabinet if it could only serve like 50 listeners...

so again, what are the hardware requirements to serve 1 listener?
please take the time to READ the answers given to you and you wil see that the answer is already been given to you

your hardware requirements need to be able to play winamp and run the server.

when you stream your internal memory , cpu, etc has nothing to do with the number of listeners you can handle but all to do with the uploadspeed you have!!!!!

take some time to read the shoutcast FAQ thread and scroll down to 15 steps in setting up shoutcast.
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2004, 02:26   #9
DJ AmPs
Major Dude

For serving up streams via the DNAS, CPU requirements depend on the NIC and OS you use, more than anything else.

For example, Windows isn't very good at handling hundreds of concurrent connections without taxing the CPU pretty good, especially on obsolete hardware.

Linux and especially BSD is much more efficient with TCP overhead and has much less CPU tax per stream.

When you start getting more than a few hundred listeners, your NIC plays a very important role as well in relieving the CPU. Use one with TCP checksum offloading.

I'd say your machine could handle a thousand streams with a good NIC and Linux or BSD, not to mention a fast pipe.

And yes, keep down the sarcasm, OK? Your asking very specific hardware questions to a bunch of DJ's and broadcasters, most of us are NOT server admins.
DJ AmPs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2004, 03:29   #10
protegechris
Forum Queen

Quote:
about 1.5 MB per DNAS instance and 14 KB per listener, is that information correct?
Those numbers are correct, just, like everyone said, it won't matter because it all depends on your connection.

yeah, i'm back.
protegechris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2004, 05:37   #11
OzzieSan

Right now my SC server is using 4,852K of memory (sc_serv.exe) in W2K zero listeners. With two listeners it uses 4,852K of memory.

My other SC server is using 4,316K of memory (sc_serv.exe) in XP Home zero listeners.

As far as number of listeners, as has already been said it depends on your internet connection.

Last edited by OzzieSan; 29th October 2004 at 05:55.
OzzieSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support