Old 20th August 2008, 18:35   #1
meddlecascade

converting m3u files to excel or word

hi --

i'm a newbie here, so forgive me if this is a repeat but couldn't find this question addressed anywhere on the site or elsewhere online.

can anyone tell me if it's possible to export an m3u playlist into something readable like an excel or word/RTF format?

my specific situation is that i've made about 20 discs of music for an ongoing dance event, and i want to be able to:

1. look at all the songs i've used at a glance so that i don't repeat myself on upcoming mixes

2. print out track lists for the CDs so that i know what's on them

any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

cheers -- meddle
meddlecascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 18:47   #2
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
M3U files are just text files. You can open them in Word and then pretty them all up (just don't save it as a M3U again)

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 18:52   #3
meddlecascade

Quote:
Originally posted by Sawg
M3U files are just text files. You can open them in Word and then pretty them all up (just don't save it as a M3U again)
thanks so much for the kind tip. don't i feel silly...
meddlecascade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2008, 18:58   #4
j7n

If I had a really long playlist, and I wanted to analyze it in Excel with graphs and sorting, here's what I would probably do:

- load the list in a plain text editor with search & replace capability and regular expressions
- apply seach & replace so that the file ends in CSV (comma separated values) format with time, artist, title, and file path each separated by a comma, and each string enclosed in quotes
- load it in Excel
- if need be, convert the length in seconds to H:M:S format using =TIME(0,0,SOURCE)
j7n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 14:46   #5
homes32

or you could just load it into the playlist editor and <CTL-ALT-G> to have Winamp make you a nice pretty HTML playlist that can be printed or exported to Excel (via right click menu) or a program of your choosing.

homes32
homes32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion