Old 28th May 2012, 00:51   #1
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
Audio Recording

I've recently started recording music as a hobby. I was wondering if anyone had any tips they could share. I'm not really interested in software or hardware recommendations. I was looking for good recording practices, etc.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 03:00   #2
fc*uk

What exactly are you into Ryan? Could help ...

All other things bared, the less lost processing you do, the better off you will be.
fc*uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 00:14   #3
swingdjted
DRINK BEER NOW
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to swingdjted Send a message via Yahoo to swingdjted
Not very specific there, but maybe this will help.

Pay a lot of attention to the acoustics of the room or environment where the recording is to be made. It can make a difference between a good recording and a professional recording.

If you have the ability, record overlapping tracks separately so you can edit or replace individually. If you do this, keep your accompaniment on headphones or earbuds so that it doesn't as likely get picked up by the mic recording the current individual track.

If you can, do several "takes" of each track, and decide at a completely detached time which is the best, or you can snip pieces from multiple takes to put together the perfect take, even if none originally existed.

Learn about copyrighting before sharing. Don't let some asshole steal your shit.

I don't know; those are just basics from the past off the top of my head. What kind of thing are you doing?

Don't forget to live before you die.
swingdjted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 01:53   #4
ryan
not fucked, not quite.
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to ryan
I just want to record and arrange some guitar parts for practice. I plan to add other instruments to my arsenal later on when my bank account permits.

I've been looking at different software lately. Someone suggested a DAW called Reaper, which is oddly enough created by Justin Frankel.

I looked around online at different USB interfaces, preamps, mics, etc. This is the hardware I selected. They all seemed to be have decent reviews for their price. And it sounds well enough to me.

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-C01-Dia.../dp/B0002D080C
http://www.amazon.com/ART-Tube-Studi.../dp/B0002E50MC
http://www.amazon.com/Lexicon-Alpha-.../dp/B000HVXMNE

I need a better room to record. The one I am currently using isn't very soundproof. I get a lot of noise from other rooms of the house. Plus I don't want everyone to have to listen to me playing the same 4 bars over and over.

I'm not planning on putting out any chart toppers, just want to get my chops so to speak.
ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 03:58   #5
mike-db
Pancakes!
(Major Dude)

Reaper was a lot of fun to play with though I only used the trial version, though you aren't looking for software I would also recommend Reason. It works really well.
mike-db is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 18:34   #6
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Yes, Propellerhead Reason... I have it, too (Reason 5). And I have Ableton Live 8 Suite, FL Studio 9 & 10 and some software of MAGIX for music & video (deluxe & premium, and the versions 17)...
We have our keyboards & other equipment etc., and we use mostly our headphones Beyerdynamic DT 990, if we play music...
Greetings from Sabine Klare Aka Sternenmaschinebine
Sabine Klare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 19:53   #7
fc*uk

I'll second Reason. Reason ought to work with that last amazon link too.

If not, check into a NI audio-2 or audio-4 depending upon your needs. You will pay a pretty penny for an audio-2/4, but NI's products are more than worth their money.
Old 29th May 2012, 23:06   #8
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

I have Traktor Pro, too (and Virtual DJ). I have thought, that I should only mention the software for composing and not for remixing and dj'ing. But yes, Native Instruments has also their "Komplete" etc., not only Traktor Pro...
They have Traktor Pro 2 and Traktor Pro 2.5 now:
http://www.native-instruments.com/
I myself don't have Steinberg Cubase or Wavelab, but many other Facebook-Friends use them...
Old 29th May 2012, 23:31   #9
fc*uk

I mentioned the audio 2/4 because it can be used for so much more other than dj'ing.

I've got friends who won't even think of using anything other than Cubase, but I have never used it myself.

If you have it, Sabine Klare, keep your traktor pro 2. Traktor pro 2.5 has too many issues with it to really be usable. That absolute and relative mode switch that randomly happens on the decks is a real problem.

There are also big problems with the key lock.

And the most painful is Traktor 2.5 only appears to pay attention to the beat grid at the very first beat of the track. So, if you have drifting within the track and want to use a bpm synced effect/sample ... it's going to be off.

Wait for the 2.5.1 release in my opinion.
Old 30th May 2012, 00:40   #10
Sabine Klare
Forum Queen

Thank You for the warning, fc*uk. I have not yet Traktor Pro 2, only Traktor Pro. But it's good to know, that the upgrading from Traktor Pro 2 to Traktor Pro 2.5 is not very good. I should ask the other DJs in Facebook, which Traktor Pro Version they currently use. I know many of the DJs from www.electrosound.tv ...
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions