Old 1st January 2015, 23:42   #1
jfmac

Playlists will not play

Background- I have WinAmp v5.63 (86) on a Toshiba Laptop, with only ShoutCast broadcaster as the only additional plugin.
I used a Toshiba External Hard Drive to store my music. As a rule I set up playlists and saved them. The connection to the ExtHD became loose and I could no longer connect to my ExtHD.

Today I was able to some of my music BACK to my PC.

The issue?
My playlists will not play. I can double click any song in the folder the music is in and they will play. But if I try to play a PLAYLIST it will not. I have added the folder in ADD MEDIA .
Any thoughts?
Thank you in advance
jfmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 11:33   #2
DrO

playlists are just text files and don't automatically update if paths change as appears to be the case if you're playing from a different drive to where things were. so you can either edit the playlist (in Winamp or via a text editor) or create a new playlist.
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:20   #3
jfmac

So basically just redo the lists? I did that to one and it played fine. I guess I'll do that. It'll take a while cause I have quite a few lists.

thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 17:23   #4
ryerman
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfmac View Post
...It'll take a while cause I have quite a few lists...
For an automated method, see here:
http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...87&postcount=4

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2015, 03:21   #5
jfmac

Update:
I tried listFix as suggested and this didn't solve my issue. I have since purchased a new ExtHD. Toshiba.

My playlists still will not playback. Neither when loaded from the left menu, nor directly from the playlist folder within my music folder (folder dedicated to only music files).

I can rebuild my playlists, but I would like to know why they won't play in the first place. I've seen in the forums about changing files numbers and I'm not sure how to fix this. My music has gone from the original ExtHD to my desktop and back to a second ExtHD.

I'm not a techie neophyte, but I'm not a programer either.

Can anyone explain and/or give a solution not in Tech language..

Thanks in advance.
Old 22nd January 2015, 16:38   #6
Aminifu
Forum King

Open your playlists in Notepad. Do they list the full pathnames (drive letter and folder names) along with the song files? If they do, does the drive letter match the drive letter for the drive the files are currently on? Of course the folder names have to be correct also. A playlist that does not contain full pathnames only works when it is in the same folder as all of the song files listed in it.

Windows sometimes assigns a different drive letter to external devices when they are disconnected and reconnected. Use Windows Explorer is see what letter is assigned to the external drive. You can edit the playlists to have the drive letters match with the letter currently assigned to the drive or you can use the Windows Disk Management tool in the Computer Management utility (listed in the Administrative Tools) to change the external drive's letter to match what's in the playlists.

Right click on the external drive listed in the Disk Management tool and select the change drive letter command. For legacy reasons, the letters "A" and "B" should not be used (they were used when computers had floppy drives) and the letter "C" should only be used for the drive that has Windows on it (to avoid other issues). Each connected drive must use a different letter. Multiple external drives can use the same letter, but only 1 of them can be connected at a time.

Also read Post #6 in this thread (http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....13#post3017113).

Winamp v5.9.1.10029 - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v22H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Last edited by Aminifu; 22nd January 2015 at 19:24.
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support