Old 9th January 2009, 05:06   #1
Canaanabolaanan

Hotkey plugin assistance requested.

Greets, fellow winampians. ...or something like that. I'm struggling to find a hotkey plugin that suits my needs. I didn't think they were so tailored and specific, but apparently they are. I have searched through all the plug-ins shown below, though I've only installed maybe 5 of the better rated and reviewed. It seems clear they don't have what I'm looking for.

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/search/?q=hotkeys

Here's my primary concern: I type using a dvorak key arrangement, shown here - http://www.dvorak-keyboards.com/dvorak-keyboard_com.gif

So the traditional z/x/c/v/b hotkeys for previous/play/pause/stop/next don't line up so well. So I was hoping for a custom plug-in to remedy this. But I've come across a couple issues.

1) The ones I have found have all been global/system hotkeys. And if I assign a letter to it, I can't seem to type that letter in any browser text fields (or just plain anywhere) without messing with my winamp playback function. Thus I want non-global hotkeys.

2) I ... also want global hotkeys. There's a game or two I play full screen and would like the option of being able to control winamp without having to minimize the game screen.

So I'd like a plugin that can assign ;qjkx (your zxcvb) for playback operations (non-global), as well as something like ctrl (or shift) + ;qjkx for in game access (global). So yeah, those three things: I can assign the hotkeys; they can be non-global; they can also be global.

...is it even possible? The search continues. Thanks in advance.
Canaanabolaanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 06:35   #2
DrO

easiest option is to make a custom language pack and modify the accelerator table in winamp.lng in the wlz file.
that way you have z/x/c/v/b directly remapped without causing issues as the global hotkeys approach will give you. only thing then is to make sure that whatever letters you change things to aren't duplicated up with an existing item.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2009, 07:06   #3
Canaanabolaanan

Cool, thanks for the idea. Is there a tutorial somewhere that might illustrate how to do this? I'm generally a coding n00b, though I have tinkered with a couple game config files, and read through a Ruby language tutorial. If it's small and simple enough, I should be able to get the hang. Maybe once I'm done, I could send it to someone to give it a once over if I get stuck? Or copy/paste relevant sections? Thanks again.
Old 16th January 2009, 23:10   #4
Canaanabolaanan

Sorry to trouble you, but could I ask again for help with how to create a custom language pack? I'd like to give this a try.
Old 16th January 2009, 23:40   #5
DrO

basically take this file, rename it to .zip and extrat winamp.lng from it. then in a resource editor, open the winamp.lng file and go to the 'ACCELERATORS' entries and you'll need to select the one with an identifier of 1373.

in that you will find all of the zxcvb and their shift/control related handlers. you'd need to change the letter to whatever you want it to be. though if you just j for example, you'd need to remap it or just remove the whole entry as you'd otherwise have a conflict with it trying to do two actions (your one and opening the jump to file dialog).

once done, save the winamp.lng file, add it back into the zip, or create a new one and just have that file in it. rename the zip back to .wlz and double-click it to load it into winamp as a new language pack.

-daz
Old 17th January 2009, 01:25   #6
Canaanabolaanan

Sweet, it worked! Thanks so much.

For future reference, XN Resource Editor worked for me. ResEdit didn't seem to do the job (couldn't open the file in a way that presented the Accelerators entry).

I have also attached the file that I've changed, should anyone else use Dvorak and like the same function.

Again, zxcvb (preview, play, pause, stop, forward) have been changed to ;qjkx, and the resulting duplicate entry for "c" was changed to dvorak's "c," or qwerty's "i." No other entry was duplicated.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamplng.zip (53.6 KB, 250 views)
Old 19th January 2009, 22:15   #7
dartveiga

Cant get it to work

Hi,

I just downloaded the winamp.lng file, did my customization, but It didn't work.

I was trying to assign the SPACE key to Play/Pause command. Just edited the winamp.lng file and changed:

Accelerator\1373\40046

Instead of "C", I changed it to "Space". Also tried changing it to "SPACE" and "space" capitalization... No success.

I can see my custom language pack in Preferences\Localization. It is listed there and selected.

I have also tried changing "String Table\4096\65534" to some custom "language"... ie "pt-BR". Either no success...

Attached to this message is the print screen that shows my change. In my next message I'll post the actual edited winamp.lng file.

I would appreciate any help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screen.jpg (46.0 KB, 205 views)
dartveiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 22:17   #8
dartveiga

winamp.lng that didn't worked...
Attached Files
File Type: zip winamp.lng.zip (52.4 KB, 233 views)
dartveiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2009, 22:49   #9
DrO

space is used in a different accelerator table to make the playlist editor focus on the currently playing file. it may be that you need to alter that as well if nothing is happening. or just to make sure that you .lng works (i can't currently test it myself) change it to a different key to see if that works (and indicates the likelyhood of a conflict as i said to Canaanabolaanan can happen).

-daz
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion