Old 14th December 2005, 04:14   #1
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Capturing Skype Video - Possible?

Hi everyone:

I'm sure you've all probably heard by now that Skype is now capapble of transmitting LIVE VIDEO, right? Of course you have.

But what I'd like to do is to take that video (preferably RAW and directly from Skype itself) along with MY OWN video (via Skype) in split-screen fashion and put that out over the Internet via my TV station.

I say this because beginning in January (I may as well begin with the New Year ), I plan to resurrect the TV version of The Pat Cook Show and would like to be able to do the above whenever I have a guest on the show.

I suppose what I'm asking is this currently possible with x264 or in the works with either x264 or some other video codec and/or Display Driver (Preferably Open Source)?

Normally I'd settle with a webcam stream hooked up to NSVCap, but if the only face people can see is mine, WHAT IS THE POINT in running a video stream to SHOUTcast for said shows when I can just easily go cam-to-cam with my guest and just make the guest appearance either a part of my podcast which is aired LIVE via NUKE 102 or make it THE WHOLE SHOW?

What's the point in wasting that kind of bandwidth that way if THE ONLY face the viewers will see WILL BE MINE?

Also, on a somewhat related note, is there anything in the works to address the issue of the ARCHIVING of LIVE shows, even if the archive is an uncompressed DAT file like what's integrated into the very program that NSVCap is based on?

Ideally I would prefer an option to archive as an AVI as then I could use the basic AVI codec that's used for the LIVE broadcast (which in my case will be H.264/x264). I could set the archive filename before I begin the broadcast and then when the broadcast is over, I can take the Batch Encoder and encode it into NSV.

Alternatively, of course, I could just simply archive straight into NSV without the extra conversion process.

Anyhow...Answers to my questions (if there are any) would be MOST appreciated.

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Jeeper One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 10:46   #2
arkadas.amereeh

Capture the video from the skype windows with camstasia or something alike and put that to your stream or record it and convert it.

Regards,

Arkadas
arkadas.amereeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 15:40   #3
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Hi everyone:

I have SplitCam and could use that if need be but I don't want to have to deal with showing my entire desktop AS WELL AS Skype OR showing lots of white with small screens as I maximize Skype to fill the screen.

The rationale for both is simple.

1). It's really NONE OF PEOPLE'S FUCKIN' BEEZ-WAX what I have on my Desktop to begin with and...

2). There's nothing worse for someone to see full screen than a blinding screen of VIRTUALLY NOTHING but white. It sort of cancels out any video which might accompany it.

Just my $.02 worth

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Old 14th December 2005, 20:27   #4
rockouthippie
Banned

Get a second video card and capture that screen with NSVCAP.... wysiwyg..

VLC has a telnet interface, so put stuff on screen, stuff get's sent.
rockouthippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2005, 20:49   #5
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Hi everyone:

One problem with that solution Kevin. How would I route the Skype video through that card?

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Old 15th December 2005, 03:20   #6
Picker999

Send a message via ICQ to Picker999 Send a message via AIM to Picker999
Try This

http://www.simacorp.com/products/ite...8997a6e&id=340
Picker999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2005, 03:21   #7
rockouthippie
Banned

Take a couple of active x controls, embed them in a web page. You might use wme to screen capture the skype video.

http://webranger.net/testme.htm sort might look like this.

Then capture the web page with a capture card and encode to NSV.
Old 16th December 2005, 20:06   #8
ken52787
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to ken52787
Using Camtasia, you can set it to only capture a specific reason. You don't need to show your entire desktop.

NSV downloads
An in-depth step by step guide for newbies, coming soon.
ken52787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2005, 20:40   #9
rockouthippie
Banned

Windows Media encoder will capture a screen region too.

The big problem with trying to do this stuff is raw compute power. Trying to get proper frame rates from this is problematical. I suppose if you had a few thousand to plop down for a really good box..... maybe

I think Toqer came to the same conclusion that effects and stuff have to be added in analog and nsv used merely as an encoder.
Old 16th December 2005, 21:00   #10
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Hi everyone:

I also have the ineen video conferencing client and apparently it has a video archiving feature. If it's what I *think* it is, that would work for cam-to-cam work.

However, if I were to broadcast the interview on LIVE Internet TV, I'd need SplitCam to receive the raw video and NSVCap to capture SplitCam to send out to the viewers on the Internet.

Any chance this would just work just as easily?

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Old 17th December 2005, 10:15   #11
rockouthippie
Banned

I didn't have much luck with splitcam. But your mileage may vary.
Old 17th April 2007, 16:23   #12
john@ROCKNTV1

Location: i have broken not a single rule and you deleted my sig craigF.. OK MY TURN CRAIGF and smelter thank for bumping bulks flame post
"loop back" useing composit and svid spliters.

jeeper

this can be done with horse power on one ,machine dual display out, and "loop back" useing composit and svid spliters. The issue i have found is "you " want to be
in your broadcast.This means some one else must run the mixing computer, and must be "heads up " on your program , kind of like the guys in the dish van outsid the stadium on game day. i have tried to do this myself, and it can be done ,but takes practice and you usualy look like you are doing double duty during the errrrrp interview.
i am currantly run 1 vid on my shoe "ROCKNTV1 and ROCKNTV1.EUlivetest1 is the name of the file.
i made this when i thought i was getting a partner in germany...any way this vid will show you the technique, the vid is running in my show now @ random so i cant teel ya what time. I would just run my steamcast server but it dosent list on the shout yp so i havent bee running it.
If you come back to this thread , give me a time when you will be around i will fire it up for you.
i am on eastern time
my email box is allways jammed but you can message me
@ my "kidsspace/rocktv1

more computers , live help and several cams clean off you desk top and open a moniter full of separate winamps.
john

Last edited by john@ROCKNTV1; 17th April 2007 at 16:42.
john@ROCKNTV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 17:20   #13
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Hi everyone:

I'm still here.

Though more accurately, what I have in mind is similar to the interview shows you see on the cable news channels when they have a guest on LIVE from some remote location via satellite. Something like that.

That's where I'm getting at.

Cheers

Pat (ala Jeeper One)

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Old 17th April 2007, 17:29   #14
john@ROCKNTV1

Location: i have broken not a single rule and you deleted my sig craigF.. OK MY TURN CRAIGF and smelter thank for bumping bulks flame post
yep i understand i just recorded this one to tape
hold on a min i will fire the steamer server and you get the link at stremercast or the toolbox...129 eastern
give min i find file

http://72.71.254.157:8020/ROCKNTV1.COM.nsv

edit===== there ya go jeeper === 135 eastern pm

all vids are live streams including the one at the bottom of the screen which is the final out put. if i would have spent more time on the camera line up and shuttwer speedyou would not know it wasnt a direct screen cap.....
this is how i put myself and my band in the middle of TOQERS
KARAOKI SHOW.... I ADD THAT VID TO THE LOOP FOR YA AND FIND ONE I DID FOR SMELTERS MIXER...ERRP WRONG BITRATE
ANY WAY ONE MORE IN THE LOOP==== HEAVY FFDSHOW AND SVIDLOOPBAK TO MAKE "YOU CAN RUN" by AUDIO SOLDIER
ALL YOU NOW MAN I gotta jet for now

Last edited by john@ROCKNTV1; 17th April 2007 at 18:00.
Old 19th April 2007, 19:39   #15
john@ROCKNTV1

K jeeps
i will leave run a little longer for yas

http://72.71.254.157:8020/ROCKNTV1.COM.nsv
Old 20th April 2007, 12:26   #16
john@ROCKNTV1

VIDEO EXAMPLE SHOUTCAST "LIVE" CONFERENCE

VIDEO EXAMPLE SHOUTCAST CONFERENCE

and FFDSHOW
THERE you go jeeper , hope you enjoyed the display.
If anyone who didnt see it and wants to i would be happy
to oblige , as i can make this scenaryo happin @ will.
Old 19th August 2009, 09:53   #17
vosh

yeah!
I agree with acer4
SkypeCap nice tool... I used it
vosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2011, 20:12   #18
PeterListmos

yes JeperOne right new splitcam program can help you - ver 5.4 can send d like video source part of your screen or record to file
PeterListmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 04:36   #19
Jeeper One
Major Dude

Well I've found something which I think is even better - iVisit, which is a video conferencing solution that allows you to chat with an entire group of people in near-IRC fashion as it not only has Windows for everyone's video but also a text chat area as well

All you need to do is make a room in the appropriate community

In short, I think I've solved my own problem. It helps when you wait a few years

Cheers

Pat Cook
Englewood, CO
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video