Old 7th July 2011, 19:02   #1
br33zi

nsv tools alternative!

Hi is there any way to simply load videos to winamp
and stream with a plugin to a shoutcast server.

like the dsp plugin for mp3's..but videos

Last edited by br33zi; 7th July 2011 at 21:08.
br33zi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:13   #2
jaromanda
Forum King

no

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:23   #3
DrO

nsv isn't supported on any level anymore so probably not one of the best options to be trying to use.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 07:52   #4
zehn.lotus

is there a similar option that isn't a website like ustream or justin.tv? I want to run it on my own server like nsv would.
zehn.lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 01:42   #5
sankt

You could try Theora or WebM.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - www.ScenicTelevision.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 04:54   #6
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by zehn.lotus View Post
I want to run it on my own server like nsv would.
there's your first problem, you don't understand what you are talking about

NSV doesn't "run on a server"

NSV is a media container format (much like AVI, MP4, WEBM etc)

media container formats do not "run", they "contain"

by the way ... icecast streams nsv format as far as I'm aware

So I did
Old 15th July 2011, 12:09   #7
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
nsv isn't supported on any level anymore so probably not one of the best options to be trying to use.

-daz
so ... what would dnas v2 do if one sent it a uvox stream with class 7, type 777 data?

So I did
Old 15th July 2011, 12:16   #8
DrO

simple option is you try it out. there is enough code in the v2 DNAS to cope with uvox 2.0 streams so it probably would still work but then it's basically using the same code as uvox 2.1 support so it's sort of there because of the other support.

i've heard from one person using a v2 DNAS that they were still able to stream nsv but i don't know much more on the details of how well that was working.

-daz
Old 15th July 2011, 12:38   #9
jaromanda
Forum King

hmmm, according to the (sparse) docs,

Message Class – 0x1
Message Type – 0x040
Payload – <mimetype><NUL>
Possible mime types are
audio/mpeg
audio/aacp
audio/aac
audio/ogg
<NUL> - ASCII 0x00

If the mime type is valid, the distribution point sends a Stream Mime Type message back to the broadcaster with a message payload of “ACK\0” (Length=4). However if the distribution point rejects the broadcaster information it may respond with a Stream Mime Type message with a message payload of “NAK:<Reason>\0”

I don't think one would get to the point of sending NSV data - mimetype negotiation should fail according to that

oh well - I haven't used NSV for almost 2 years now, so no great loss

So I did
Old 15th July 2011, 12:47   #10
DrO

mime type fails happen after that point in the process i.e. if trying to do YP listings, otherwise as long as the data / responses are correct then anything can be pumped through a uvox based stream.

as for the '(sparse) docs' comment, there's nothing else to mention in the docs as what is stated is what the protocol is intended / used for and NSV has never been directly considered as part of that with the SC2.0 stuff.

the person using it was using a pre-release version of the DNAS so despite my other tinkerings with things it was running so i'll leave at that. but then using NSV is flogging a dead horse anyway.

-daz
Old 15th July 2011, 13:04   #11
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
as for the '(sparse) docs' comment, there's nothing else to mention in the docs as what is stated is what the protocol is intended / used for and NSV has never been directly considered as part of that with the SC2.0 stuff.
yeah, I realise the docs are actually complete in that sense
Quote:
but then using NSV is flogging a dead horse anyway
it had great potential - I still watch mystery theatre 3000 on NSV - it happens to be my testing stream for shoutcast->flash

So I did
Old 16th July 2011, 01:05   #12
Smelter
Major Dude

nsv is a wonderful little container. Probably only dropped since other containers are more prolific.

I'll continue to use it in my own inter-connects where it is suitable.
Smelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2011, 12:15   #13
DrO

i don't disagree that it had potential but it was never developed / pushed hard as it probably should have been and it doesn't help the internal change from nsv to wmv to flash as went on with Aol's usage of videos.

-daz
Old 2nd March 2012, 19:45   #14
pumbaa2

I actually have a program I've developed that works much better than most of the NSV Streaming clients out there. Click Here. They may have stopped development of the project but there are still many Shoutcast TV Stations out there and Winamp fully supports them.
pumbaa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:14   #15
jaromanda
Forum King

hopes were raised ... and then dashed against the rocks by the lack of "live streaming" support

So I did
Old 3rd March 2012, 05:39   #16
pumbaa2

The program is a live streaming agent. It feeds a source to a Shoutcast Server.
Old 3rd March 2012, 15:12   #17
sankt

What jaromanda means is that your software lacks the ability to stream live video from a camera.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - www.ScenicTelevision.com
Old 3rd March 2012, 19:31   #18
pumbaa2

oh yeah well, I guess that's what they have NSVCAP for (as cheesy as that program maybe).. I wasn't really thinking about streaming in that respect. I was making a program that would be a little more usable for a pre-defined schedule. My program calculates the times between programs and displays the "coming up" schedule and what times those programs will start. 1.0.6 will export that program guide to HTML from a template file. And hopefully soon it will do the same for an XML. This will hopefully allow anyone to import the guide information into MythTV. Which will go great with my second project (MythIPTV). I'm debating if I want to create my own directory service like shoutcast did, EXCEPT mine will display everyone who is broadcasting along with their upcoming guide information. My NSV Streaming Client would be responsible for talking to the directory and reporting what is coming up instead of Shoutcast doing it backwards and reporting what is playing now (or what you missed). Since the shoutcast server itself has NO IDEA what is coming up but the source client does! This also won't interfere with the shoutcast servers ability to report to their site while my source client reports to another site that will hopefully be more useful than Winamp TV inside Winamp.

It would be nice to make a Station List that shows up in Winamp that shows the Guide Page. Surely it's possible to customize what page is displayed in Winamp through some type of add-on, etc like Shoutcast TV, Shoutcast Radio, etc thats available in its "list". Pressing "Tune In" from the Shoutcast TV or Radio page inside Winamp simply returns a ".pls" file anyway. I tested that theory on my own webpage and it works pretty good (as long as Winamp is associated, although I imagine if its done from inside the Winamp Web Browser, association wouldn't matter).
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:33   #19
pumbaa2

sankt: Are you the author over at scvi.net? That is a great site, it gave me a LOT of the information I needed to know in order to understand and start this project. However, a lot of the links point to nullsoft.com and that site seems to be down? I was able to obtain copied of many of the utilities by looking around the internet. Most of the needed tools are re-hosted in my downloads area under "Support Files". Although I would like to make sure I have the latest copies. My copy of NSV Tools License file says April 19, 2003. Is this the latest copy? If not, then I need to grab a current copy and replace the file in my files area.
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:51   #20
sankt

Yes, I am the webmaster of scvi.net. Thanks for the compliment

The nullsoft.com website has been down for several years now.

The last version of nsv tools was created in 2003 - so you have it allready.

It would be nice to get a updated version of a live streaming client - that could be used with a camera.

Interesting project you have going with myth tv - the IP tv.

You should try to incorporate multicast connectivity with myth tv some how !

Old 4th March 2012, 05:17   #21
pumbaa2

Well, the IPTV Project does monitor the mythbackend for open ports to see what streams it is looking for on a multicast level. My program simply uses the needed tools to deliver a compatible stream to the Network Tuner (which is multicast based). The only exception is the UDP Packet delivery, ffmpeg will deliver it to my program via stdout and my program will actually open the UDP Socket and deliver it.

This integration allows the video to pass through the core of mythtv. This allows for recording, fast-forward, rewind, pause and play with any stream including Shoutcast TV. The MythTV Network Tuner simply wants a MPEG-TS stream delivered. Unfortunately, very few "IPTV Stations" will deliver that. On top of everything else, the network tuner ONLY supports RTSP and UDP Multicast as MPEG-TS ONLY. Out of 100 stations you might find one or two that will deliver via RTSP and the likelihood that it will be MPEG-TS is next to never.

My project will eventually be obsolete in place of the MythTV developers actually implementing real streaming protocols in their network tuner. But the tuner was originally designed to pickup multicast udp packets delivered by certain Internet/TV Providers that generally deliver to their set-top boxes in this fashion. I think once the MythIPTV Project gets off the ground, the mythtv developers will actually pay attention and start implementing some of the functionality that my program "converts" for.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast TV / Nullsoft Video