Old 10th August 2007, 09:20   #1
IceBear

Send a message via ICQ to IceBear
Any way to reconnect a shoucast radio channel ?

I listen to shoutcast channels a lot at work, but sometimes the connection gets lost or whatever happens.
Then I just have to hit play again to make it work.
But is there a way to make winamp do this automatic when it happens ?
IceBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 14:18   #2
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

repeat with only that shoutcast channel in the playlist editor.
Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 15:51   #3
IceBear

Send a message via ICQ to IceBear
Ok, but where do I find that option ?
IceBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2007, 16:22   #4
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
'R' on your keyboard, or the repeat button in the main window.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 22:39   #5
808pants

this should be a PROMINENT, easy-to-find feature!

Virtually NO ONE knows about this. I have been looking for this no-brainer feature for...years...OK, well, occasionally, for years, fuming after having to go back to my PC for the 8th time in an hour, say, just to restart a radio station. Developers and several internet-radio provider troubleshooters I've been in touch with have had no knowledge of this capability.

This should be a DEFAULT setting for all internet radio stations. And though I am happy to have found this method, it smells like a "workaround" - it gets the player to do what ALL radio players should be set up to do automatically.

Also, should not require stations to be placed individually, one per playlist, as this method does.

EVERYONE gets disconnected for mysterious reasons, sometimes with annoying frequency. Many times I have wished for a means of tracking/identifying those disconnects. Is it my wireless LAN? My EVDO? uTorrent hogging bandwidth? It's almost never possible to say with certainty. Not sure this would be a feature for winamp to include, but...it wouldn't hurt.
808pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 23:28   #6
Sawg
Forum King

Send a message via ICQ to Sawg Send a message via AIM to Sawg Send a message via Yahoo to Sawg
The repeat button is pretty easy to find. It is in the main window of pretty much every skin.

| Brought to you by ^V ^C | The one... the original... no seriously!
Sawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 00:02   #7
808pants

yeah, but...

Maybe you missed my points. Sure, all players have repeat/shuffle controls. Without restating my other concerns, I'll just say that "repeat" is not an intuitive term to apply to a radio station, since a radio station is a dynamic and ever-changing stream. "Reconnect" or "Retry," but not "repeat".

If I were complaining about poor intuitive interface in Winamp, this would be but one of fifty or so rearrangements I would suggest, but I don't think any who could make a difference would really pay attention.

--pants
808pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 02:56   #8
n0ukf

Send a message via ICQ to n0ukf Send a message via AIM to n0ukf Send a message via Yahoo to n0ukf
I've found that sometimes Repeat isn't enough to reconnect when a stream drops out. One plug-in I use to reconnect the stream connection is Silence Detector, though if the stream is continuing but with silence, it reconnects even though it wasn't necessary. Another plugin that does about the same thing is called Restless.

Personally, I'd prefer something more on the lines of a stream detector, not a silence detector. Reconnect the stream if it drops but leave it alone if it's continuing (even if silent). Also let it sniff out the stream (occasional stations, not 24/7) until it's available then connect.
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2019, 21:42   #9
Alungatu

BIG UP.. any "updated" solution? I also listen allot of radio on internet and I have a bad connection sometimes.. thats why winamp stop playing the source. I would like an plugin or somerthing that reconnects back to radio automatically...

Any solution?
Alungatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support