Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Old 24th November 2014, 19:58   #1
ProducerMike

Shoutcast 2.0 stats file read by python pauses for 5 sec each read

I'm writing some simple python code to read the stats.xml file from a Shoutcast 2.0 server which I have on a test network. Each time the python script attempts to read the file it pauses for 5 seconds.

Python 2.6.5 on Ubuntu or Python 2.7.3 on Raspberry Pi Shoutcast 2.0.0.29 on Windows 7 - 64Bit

Using Urllib2

code:
import urllib2
statsfile = urllib2.urlopen('http://10.46.0.43:8000/stats?sid=1')

This will read the file but causes a 5 second pause in program execution. Almost like a timeout. I have tried this on both a raspberry pi and also a Ubuntu box. The same happens if I run it as a python program or entering commands in the python cli.

The stats.xml is correctly read and transferred it's just the pause that's causing the problem.

I have also copied the stats.xml file to an IIS server and the python script runs fine reading the file from there.

I have also tried urllib.urlretrieve which produces the same result.

This is on a small test network so I don't believe it is bandwidth. I am using a IP address to rule out DNS issues. It is 100% reproducible. I have rebuilt the Windows 7/Shoutcast server and am still getting the issue.

Any good ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance

ProducerMike
ProducerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2014, 21:16   #2
DrO

firstly, i'd suggest updating to the current version (2.4.2) than using 2.0 as a lot has changed between them and if there is an issue, we can only really do things against a current DNAS version.

if it still happens then there's a few things which i can think off, though it can really depend on the load at the time as to how well (or not) the DNAS may take to respond to such requests (which even with some of the caching as done, won't help in all cases).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 21:10   #3
ProducerMike

Update

Ok, so I updated the ShoutCast installation to 2.4.2.167 and I am still experiencing the same problem.

Next steps will be to bring it down to a 32-bit installation on Windows 7 and possibly XP.
I might also try building a Linux box and installing ShoutCast on there.

As I have been able to reproduce the problem on both a Ubuntu install on a PC and a Raspberry Pi - I'm really looking at the ShoutCast installation as being the root of the problem.

If anyone could try and reproduce my results I would be most grateful.

At the moment all of this testing is taking place on a 'internal' network, with both machines on the same subnet, with only the products mentioned installed on the machines. I have stripped everything back to as basic as possible.

ProducerMike
ProducerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 21:37   #4
DrO

can you try enabling all of the debug options supported by the DNAS and either pm me a link to the log dump (and also a copy of the settings without passwords) or send both bits to my user name @shoutcast.com.

also you've not mentioned what the listener load is at the time as high numbers of listeners could lead to a slower response time on that method, but i've only seen it when running well over 1000 clients.

also have you increased the ulimit - n value used for the setup over 1024 ? as that has in the past caused some people issues with how the DNAS responds (or rather doesn't).
Old 25th November 2014, 23:38   #5
Colin2

If the namelookups option is enabled in sc_serv.conf, the Windows version of DNAS performs slow NetBIOS computer name lookups for LAN IP addresses.
Colin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2014, 23:40   #6
DrO

until configs & logs are seen, we're just going to be guessing as to what is the cause.

[edit]
another thing to try is to see if it's slow when accessing it directly via a browser and not use the python method. the link is also provided on the server admin summary page (admin.cgi?sid=0) at the bottom right of the stream info block shown.
Old 26th November 2014, 09:03   #7
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerMike View Post
I might also try building a Linux box and installing ShoutCast on there.
No need to build a Linux box, you have an Ubuntu install and a raspberry pi already, either of those will run DNAS just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerMike View Post
As I have been able to reproduce the problem on both a Ubuntu install on a PC and a Raspberry Pi - I'm really looking at the ShoutCast installation as being the root of the problem.
As far as I can tell, you've proved that the problem exists either with
* DNAS in windows, or (just as likely)
* urllib2.urlopen function in Linux

I've opened (in a browser) ...../stats?sid=1 on a DNAS running in windows 7 64bit ... the response was immediate, no delays - so there is no inherent delay in reading that resource when DNAS is on Windows 64bit

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 09:04   #8
jaromanda
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
also have you increased the ulimit - n value used for the setup over 1024 ? as that has in the past caused some people issues with how the DNAS responds (or rather doesn't).
Would that be on the DNAS machine or the client machine running Python? If the former, there is no ulimit command in wondoze (or is there?)

"If you don't like DNAS, write your own damn system"

So I did
jaromanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th November 2014, 11:40   #9
DrO

ignore me, i'd read things at the start wrong and kept thinking it was a *nix setup.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Technical Support

Tags
python, shoutcast, stats, urllib2