Old 23rd September 2006, 19:18   #1
phistuck

VBR MP3s Ends Before The Real Ending

There is a bug since 5.0934 (or something like this, I am not sure of my older version) and the current release (5.24, which I had just installed to see if it has been fixed) did not fix it and it does not appear in the 5.25 bug-fixes list, so I guess no one noticed it.

I am not sure if this is a Core Bug and not an In_MP3.dll or a Direct Sound Output Plugin bug, since I am not sure which is responsible for that... so mind me if this is not the place.

When you play a VBR file and manually seeking (with the mouse) to, let us say, a few seconds before the end of the file and a second later, seeking again to, say, the middle of the song - WinAMP plays a few seconds and then moves on to the next file (or just ends playing, I guess, if there is not other file and repeat is set to off), the few seconds it play is about the same time left to play of the first seeking point I seeked into (a few seconds before the end, as I mentioned), it does play from the second point I seeked into, it just stops when those few seconds are over.
(I guessed I messed it up a little with my lame explanation, sorry, English is not my native language)

Is it a core bug?
Is it supposed to be posted here?
I hope I helped!

Thank you.

(Specs -
WinAMP 5.24
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+ (1.81GHz) 1GB RAM
WIndows XP SP1
Gigabyte ATI Technologies Inc. RadeOn X300 128MB 6.14.10.6546
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. AC'97 Audio (ACL850) 5.10.0.5770
DirectX 9.0c)

Last edited by phistuck; 23rd September 2006 at 20:04.
phistuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 20:11   #2
JonnyMac

Post split from the Core Bug Reports thread

Not a Winamp bug. Does this happen to all your VBR MP3s or just some?

Are you using any third party MP3 plug-ins (MP3pro, In_Mad, etc)? Some third party MP3 plug-ins may not be able to handle VBR very well.

Another possibility is VBR files with bad headers. Problems using the seek bar or the song ending early may be an indication of a MP3 with a bad VBR header. If that is the case, try VBR Fix | (alternate VBRfix downloads). It can be used to fix MP3s with bad VBR. Other possible signs of bad VBR headers are...
  • Discrepancy between the time shown in the PL and the main window
  • Changes in the total time on the song scroll/ticker during playback
  • Different times shown in playlist each time the file is loaded.
  • Wild variations in the KBPS display during playback.
    Although variations in the KBPS are normal for VBR files, those with bad headers may have unusually "intense" variations.
  • Song/music ending early or jumping/skipping
I would suggest backing the files before you use VBR fix on any of them.

Please do not PM me for tech support. Any request for tech support through PM will be ignored.
Read the Stickies
---> | | | | <--- Knowledge is power
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 20:27   #3
phistuck

Well, I have not tried every single VBR file I got, but I tried a few files not from the same author (or encoder, it seems) or release and all of them had the same problem.

I tried to VBRFix it, same result.

Anyway, I will explain it with a little more details, I hope it helps.
Play a VBR MP3.
Manually seek with the mouse to 10 seconds before the end.
Wait a second (or less ) and seek again to a point in the middle of the song.
Listen and check to see if it is skipping suddenly, before the end, moving on to the next song.

No Third Party input plugins are used, and the regular DirectSound output plugin is used.
Old 23rd September 2006, 20:30   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

No, alas, we can't reproduce the problem.
At a guess, like JM said, the files have got bad headers and need fixing with VBRFix.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 20:31   #5
phistuck

I tried to VBRFix it, same result.
(Updated my last post after you posted, apparently)
Old 23rd September 2006, 20:41   #6
phistuck

I tried playing with the DirectSound buffer length.
When I set the buffer length to 20000 the problem occurs.
When it is set to, say, 500, the problem vanishes.
But, I mean, when I seek manually, it should reload the buffer and have it started from the point I seek into, is it not?
And, since I am hearing the sound that I should be hearing from that seeking point on, it does reload the buffer, but its length stays the same as the length it should had been of the first seeking point which was close to the end.

(Again, I probably messed it up because of my English, sorry)
Old 23rd September 2006, 21:06   #7
phistuck

Checked the status of the DirectSound output plug in and when I manually seek (the second time) the async buffer is decreasing until it reaches 0ms, and then WinAMP starts playing the next song (or stops).
(And the reading\writing buffer indicators are not at the end, so the buffer still got stuff to play, I guess..)
Old 23rd September 2006, 21:29   #8
JonnyMac

OK, after you mentioned your Buffer setting (20,000MS), I was reproduce the issue.

Setting to main buffer to 20000MS (or very close).
Play file and move the seek bar to very close to the end
Wait approximately one second and move it to around the middle.
The song continues to play from the new seek position, but will end abruptly (may take several seconds).

This was reproduced on Winamp 5.24 with VBR MP3s, but not CBR. As a FYI, I was also able to reproduce this with Winamp 2.90. However, this seems more like a forced bug rather then a "natural" one. Not sure of why this would be occurring though.
JonnyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2006, 21:39   #9
phistuck

Yay! (Sorry, I am just glad that it is a general bug and not something only I have)
So, I guess I helped.
Great!

It is funny that no one has ever mentioned it before (if you say that the problem occurs even in WinAMP 2.90).
Well, anyway, I hope they will fix it...
Old 23rd September 2006, 21:59   #10
phistuck

Well, it is a natural (settings) problem too - since even when the default buffer size is 2000, try to put the seek bar Two seconds or less before the end of the song and then seek into the middle, wait a few seconds and there it happens again.
(Now, this is not happenning with all the VBR MP3s, only with some. But with the 20,000ms it does happen for all the cases.)

(Wow, that is really weird, it is having like two more buffer reading\writing cycles and only then the async gets stuck and the playing halts.)

OK, checked another situation.
You do not have to seek to the end, just play the file and a second before the end - seek into the middle, it will end the playing too.

So this is the case - on the last few seconds (it depends on the buffer length too, of course) of every VBR MP3 playback, the async buffer gets stuck (which is should, I guess, because there is nothing more in to MP3 to buffer farther). So only when the async buffer gets stuck - this is the point of no return the playback halts a few seconds after even if you are moving the seek bar to the middle.

Last edited by phistuck; 23rd September 2006 at 22:20.
Old 23rd September 2006, 22:41   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Ok, with the new info this is now reproducable.

I'm moving this thread to bug reports (and also copying it to internal bugtracker).

Thanks

ps. note, it's a weird bug, for sure . . . understandable in the way that the time remaining is less than the buffer size, which will make the input plugin tell the output plugin that the file is over... but weird in the way that it only happens with vbr and not cbr.
Old 29th September 2006, 15:15   #12
phistuck

Still Not Fixed

A new version is out and the bug remains!
Old 29th September 2006, 15:23   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I only added this to bugtracker 2 days before 5.3 Final was ready, heh.

Apparently, there's no easy fix, other than maybe "to not let the user seek once the end of file has hit". But yeah, it's definitely weird how it only happens with vbr mp3's and not cbr mp3's or any other format...

We shall see.

For now, unless you essentially need it for out_ds crossfading or something, then we recommend that you change your huge 20second buffer size back to something nearer the 2000ms default setting.
Old 29th September 2006, 15:30   #14
phistuck

It could be nice if you kept me posted about this... when it is fixed or something...
Because I do not usually download new versions every Ten days.
Thank you anyway.
Old 29th September 2006, 15:31   #15
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I added a bit to the end of my last post... don't know if you saw it in time or not.
Old 29th September 2006, 15:39   #16
phistuck

Hm...
It is not that I usually seek back and forward all the time, so it is not such a bugging bug, but since it exists for more than Two years now, I think it should be fixed.

I will keep my buffer at 20,000ms and be aware that I could accidently be skipping a song when I seek back and forward on VBR MP3s.

Thank you, anyway.
Old 29th September 2006, 17:20   #17
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

You'll be glad to know that this bug is now fixed for 5.31 :-)
Old 29th September 2006, 17:34   #18
phistuck

Well, thank you.

Do you happen to know of when will it be out?
Old 29th September 2006, 17:41   #19
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

I can't tell you when exactly, but it could be sooner than you think, because there's been a few other 5.3 bugs found and fixed.

Note, I can still reproduce the problem with wma (but not mp3, ogg, m4a, aac, flac) - but who cares about wma anyway ;-)

http://stashbox.org/326/in_mp3.dll :-)
Old 29th September 2006, 18:00   #20
phistuck

Totally right.
WMA is the one format I just cannpt stand.
May be because it is a world dominating Microsoftish format. Yeah, that is probably it.
(Also, it does not sound good like MP3 in high bitrates (128Kbps+), as far as I heard)

Hate WMA. Damn it.

Thank you.
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports