Old 8th June 2000, 19:31   #1
The Wanderer

Just how is one supposed to be able to uninstall Winamp 2.63? I don't see an option anywhere in the program itself (an unlikely location in any case), and I see neither an obvious (or for that matter non-obvious) uninstallation program in the directory nor a link from anywhere to uninstall the program, though I admit that since I deleted the directory it added to the Start Menu that might have removed something relevant.

The reason why I want to uninstall Winamp is because of something stupid I did while installing it. I accidentally told it to associate filetypes with it, figuring that there was no real reason not to do it. And yes, it took over the associations from my previous version of Winamp. It *also* took over a number of other associations that I wanted left where they were, including both MIDI and WAV files. I attempted to fix the problem by deleting the filetypes and reentering them manually, but predictably (given Microsoft and Windows) this didn't work remotely well; in fact it just made everything worse. Now MIDIs give me the "Open with..." dialog box when I double-click onthem, so do WAVs, and the other filetypes that were associated with Winamp have gone kaput. Making matters worse, I don't know how to recover the original file associations for MIDI and WAV files, short of reinstalling Windows. I've decided to uninstall this version of Winamp (keeping an earlier version, for other reasons) and try it again, but I can't find any way to uninstall it - which is what brings me here, as you have probably figured out by now.

Does anyone have any useful information on this?

------------------
--
The Wanderer

I feel I should warn you I'm slightly mad.

Warning: Simply because I argue an issue does not mean I agree with any side of it.
The Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2000, 20:37   #2
SexyLoserKitten
Moderator Alumni

Actually, there IS an uninstall option for winamp....look under programs>winamp in your start menu..it should be there, if not then i can't help ya

------------------
SexyLoserKitten1@aol.com

Sex without foreplay is like drinking without getting drunk...
SexyLoserKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2000, 21:48   #3
The Wanderer

As I said (or rather implied), when I installed Winamp 2.63, I immediately went ato the Start Menu and *deleted* the folder that Winamp had added to it. I don't like to have too many of those things there, especially the unnecessary ones; I prefer to interact with Windows through Explorer, rather than the Start Menu. So everything that would have been in that folder is not on my system.

------------------
--
The Wanderer

Warning: Simply because I argue an issue does not mean I agree with any side of it.
Old 8th June 2000, 22:10   #4
Tom

The Wanderer did you check in the control panel under Add/Remove Programs, it usually puts an uninstall thing in there. If that doesn't work then what you can do is install 2.63 over the top of your current 2.63 installation and that will bring back whatever options you deleted and then you should be able to get rid of it.

Tom
http://players.shoutclub.net
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2000, 00:59   #5
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

Just delete everything in the /winamp folder. Winamp isn't naughty by installing things to places other than there (with the exception of those icky secure-format in plugins).
Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2000, 01:26   #6
griffinn
Court Jester
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to griffinn
Uh, you uninstall 2.63 by installing 2.64 over it. Until the links in the Winamp website are updated, get 2.64 here.

But while installing 2.64, remember to not enable the install options "Associate with files" and "Preserve file associations".

As for those broken associations, you make your own associations by doing either of the following:<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Double-click the file. When presented with the "Open with..." dialog, just choose your favorite program for that kind of file, and remember to tick the "Always use this program to open this file type" box. From now on, all files with the same extension would be opened by this program.<LI>If you'd rather proactively do the associations than answer the "Open with" dialog, go to "Folder Options" (Win98) or Explorer/View/Options (Win95), choose the "File Type" tab, and play with your file associations from there.</UL>

[This message has been edited by griffinn (edited June 08, 2000).]
griffinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2000, 09:34   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Re: File Extension Associations

Another useful page on a similar theme:

http://forums.winamp.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000178.html

------------------
DJ - Egg
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2000, 19:04   #8
gandalf
Moderator Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to gandalf
You neednt uninstall. Just tell winamp not to associate itself with these filetypes. Also, get 2.64 i fyou want DSP and Proxies to work
gandalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2000, 17:34   #9
The Wanderer

Taking these one at a time.

Ice - Winamp may not put weird files in various places all over the computer; but it *does* modify the Registry to add its filetypes (if nothing else, the .m3u playlist files). That is where the problem is, rather than with Winamp itself.

griffinn - you're assuming that I wanted to uninstall 2.63 before installing 2.64, on some misguided idea of how the system works. I did not. I wanted to uninstall Winamp 2.63 completely, and see where to go from there.
I've managed to fake the filetypes by using the "Open with..." dialog box (though why they call it a dialog box I don't know, since it's really closer to a monologue), but I'm not happy with that; it's too crude. And I've tried fiddling around in the File Types window; that's what I meant by "reentering [the filetypes] manually" in my original post. Suffice to say that, although I copied down *exactly* what the original filetypes were (all details I could find) before deleting them, when I try to put the information back in to recreate them it doesn't work. Something Winamp did to the Registry, I suspect.

gandalf - how would one go about doing that? And more to the point (I've got a couple ideas about that question anyway), how would that help with the other problem, of the other filetypes?

DJEgg - thank you for mentioning the other thread; it reminded me of something I'd forgotten. However, about Windows Media Player - the version I use (mplayer.exe, not mplayer2.exe) does not have a "View" menu, and its Options dialog (available only when a file is loaded) does not have a "Formats" section. I do not want to use mplayer2.exe, for various reasons (not least of which is the fact that, since it supports so many more formats including various video formats, it takes much longer to load), but as mplayer.exe does not have the option to reassociate filetypes...

------------------
--
The Wanderer

Old 12th June 2000, 09:56   #10
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

this post is for the wanderer.
i'll respond to all of those questions at once.

using the uninstall provided with winamp will remove its registry changes. (accesible under the add/remove programs icon in the control panel. i don't like excess stuff in my start bar either.)

please excuse griffinn's "misguided idea of how the system works." he was only trying to help. (his advice was quite accurate, i might add.)

if you choose to change the file associations manually, just check "always use this program to open these files" when you select the program to open with. that will set the new default.

i'm not even going touch that dialog vs. monologue box crap. as for dialogue boxes being too crude, talk to microsoft. tell them their dialogue box is too crude. then watch as they laugh at you.

i'm also not going to touch the "Something Winamp did to the Registry, I suspect." remark either, because i wouldn't be able to stop.

to make winamp not associate with a certain filetype, you can tell it when you install, or after you've installed by going to preferences -&gt; setup -&gt; file types and deselecting anything you don't want winamp to associate with.

the view menu that dj egg spoke of is accessed from a standard windows folder, not inside media player. tools -&gt; folder options -&gt; file types in win2000. view -&gt; folder options -&gt; file types in win9x.

hmm. a media player that plays media. what an odd concept. (last time i checked, video was one of the primary media types. in fact, it's been number one for a long time now.)

oh and yes, that 500 millisecond load time for the latest windows media player is unbearable.

your questions were answered, but i would suggest the following if you want help in the future:
1) don't insult people who try to help.
2) don't assume that winamp is this huge conspiracy designed to get you just because you don't know what you're doing.
3) i give up. end of post.
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2000, 10:00   #11
Mr. Ice
Captain Moderator

this post is for DJEgg.

the "icky secure format in plugins" ice was talking about is the mjuice secure format. it installs files to c:\program files\mjuice media player, thus breaking the "just delete the winamp directory" idea.
Mr. Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2000, 22:23   #12
The Wanderer

In response to Mr. Ice:

True. However, that is something that needs to be done besides just deleting the Winamp directory and everything in it, which was the reason I mentioned the other problem; besides which, I think that Add/Remove Programs will refuse to do anything if it finds that the files it wants to remove are already gone.

Sorry, miscommunication here. I was intending to convey that he was apparently acting under the assumption that *I* had a misguided idea of the way the system works, and because of that idea wanted to do it that way. I know that his advice was accurate for its purpose.

Yes, setting "Always use this program to open these files" under the "Open with..." dialog box will create an association of that program with that filetype. *Just* that filetype. For every filetype that I want to associate, I'd have to make that setting individually, which is not a problem in itself. However, each time I do this it would create a new association, completely separate from the others, for just that one extension. That is what I meant by "crude" - there is apparently no way (unless you know enough about the Registry to know what to modify and where, which I do not) to do it all under one filetype. And I wasn't *expecting* any response to the "dialog/monologue" comment; it was simply a comment, nothing more, nothing less.

I can respect that, but I would like to know which direction you wouldn't be able to stop going in. Simply for my own edification.

I know. I've done that (the latter, that is). Doesn't recreate the other associations; but it does solve half of the problem.

Very well. I read the instructions to "open WindowsMediaPlayer and goto 'View -&gt; Options -&gt; Formats' and reassociate the extensions. Close WMP and I believe that should have solved your problem." (okay, maybe that isn't just a set of instructions) to mean Windows Media Player, not Windows Explorer, which incidentally doesn't have a "Formats" section available under either View -&gt; Options or View -&gt; Folder Options as far as I can tell.

Yes, "media" does include "video". However, when I want to play video formats, I use other players (for various reasons), including sometimes mplayer2.exe. When I go to open a MIDI file, I do not want to have it take the time to run mplayer2, open the entire program (including both the necessary files to run the various video formats *and* the screen on which to display them *and* the additional controls and so on), check the file being opened, remove the video-display screen while loading the file, and then start playing - somewhat choppily, because it's still cleaning up after doing so much else in the background, meaning I generally need to stop the player and start it again to have it sound right.

All of that loading, in my experience, takes not on the order of 500 milliseconds but more on the order of 5,000-10,000 at least. 2,000-3,000 is more my preferred maximum time to open this kind of thing.

Not all of my questions have received the sort of answers I was looking for, though I admit that ways to fake it have been provided (some though not all of which I already knew about).

It was never my intention to in any way insult anyone answering my questions. None of the contents of either of my previous posts to this thread was intended to be insulting to anyone. It may have come across that way, becaues of unfortunate choices I made in phrasing it; that was not my intention, and if it happened I apologize.

I do not make any such assumption. I'm not sure where you got the idea that I did, except possibly from the comment "Something Winamp did to the Registry, I suspect.", which was not a product of any such view; simply the result of the fact that I don't see any other likely reason for the filetypes that I'd put in manually to not work. If you can provide any other plausible reason, I'd honestly like to hear it.

Apparently I've made a bad impression on at least some people; for this, and the apparent behaviour which may have prompted this, I apologze.

------------------
--
The Wanderer

Old 13th June 2000, 04:03   #13
Weggy

Send a message via ICQ to Weggy
when it says open with, just select windows media player and it should keep that setting. as for deleting winamp from the registry, type regedit at the run menu and do a search for winamp, and deleting it. dont do this unless your comfortable messing around with your registry.
Weggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support