Old 3rd September 2022, 17:15   #401
NJK
FRISIAN

Hi VIPer , do remember you from the "old days" of the forum

the info you need can be found below

For translators, the Winamp 5.9 en-us .wlz template is now available.
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2022, 20:37   #402
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIPer View Post
DJ Egg, return of the old guard.

I'm in. How can I help with Russian translation after so many years?

-VIPer

Hi VIPer

I think Ed is also working on the Russian lang pack,
so you'll both need to co-ordinate...
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2022, 00:15   #403
LuxXx

Who owns and is developing Winamp now?

Hello there,

I am a lowly milkdrop preset remasher collector and Winamp aficianado since 2. or maybe even 1.x, can't remember. Since like 1998. Anyway, the last time Winamp asked for emails to apply to their beta I submitted but never heard anything. I heard the Winamp (trademark?) copyrighted name had been purchased, but I was hoping to get some transparency on who exactly owns what, and who is developing what. This would make many who are suspicious of rebranded software and the many grifts that go along with development that hijack nostalgia to get people to submit their personal information/install the malware. Transparency as to the ownership of Winamp and who is developing it in what country is important for cynical folks like me. Glad there is Winamp news after all this time, I am excited but holding back until I learn more. I have always wanted to explore a 3D version of milkdrop and what that would look like, and have some questions/suggestions about Desktop Mode or alternative ways of using milkdrop to enhance user experience, also about multi-sampling/super-sampling antialiasing on transparencies and the nvidia control panel/winamp/milkdrop and how they interact.

Best,
LuxXx
LuxXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2022, 04:31   #404
jvidal

Send a message via ICQ to jvidal Send a message via AIM to jvidal Send a message via Yahoo to jvidal
If you don't mind my asking, are there any updates on the unicode file names / id3 tags I reported?

thanks!
jvidal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2022, 11:20   #405
ALIASJT

5.9 version not working

Hello
Just installed 5.9. It starts but shuts down a few seconds later without any action done before. I am using windows 11.
Any solution ?
ALIASJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2022, 13:00   #406
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIASJT View Post
Hello
Just installed 5.9. It starts but shuts down a few seconds later without any action done before. I am using windows 11.
Any solution ?
Did you definitely install 5.9 Final version?

Or was it an older RC build from some other site?

Did you run the installer (recommended), or did you try to manually install it by extracting files with e.g. 7-Zip?

Was it a clean install, or did you install on top of an older version of Winamp?
If the latter, were there any additional non-default plug-ins present?
Old 7th September 2022, 19:01   #407
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Did you install 5.9 RC4 + mp3 update patch (see first post in thread for both links)?
Or was it an older RC from some other site?

Did you run the installer (recommended), or did you try to manually install it by extracting files with e.g. 7-Zip?

Was it a clean install, or did you install on top of an older version of Winamp?
If the latter, were there any additional non-default plug-ins present?
Will the next RC (or final) have the basic instructions included regarding performing clean installs, no plugins (to start), and saving playlists? I don't recall if RC4 included these instructions. Heaven knows how many times we've printed them out in this thread.

Winamp 5.9 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento (color theme 138 - 1337 | Orange)
MS Surface Pro 8 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1185G7 @ 3.00GHz
Windows 11 22621.755. Avatar art by Zohaib Khan
Mikey7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2022, 19:44   #408
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
Will the next RC (or final) have the basic instructions included regarding performing clean installs, no plugins (to start), and saving playlists? I don't recall if RC4 included these instructions. Heaven knows how many times we've printed them out in this thread.

No :-)

It's always been like this.

Although the installer cleans up any old default components (i.e. if they are either unchecked in the installer options, or removed/deprecated) and also deletes any 3rd-party plugins which are known to cause issues (gen_nomad.dll, etc.) - we don't remove other 3rd-party plugins - so it's always been up to the user to determine which of those plugins are causing issues.

Clean install instructions are available via the Help link in the player, or via the sticky threads on here.

I'm not sure what the issue is with playlists exactly.
I've never uninstalled Winamp (on my main pc) and I've never needed to do a clean install.
Although I've got numerous different instances present (5.8.1 internal - which was never released, 5.9 RC5/Final, 5.9.1 internal beta, etc.), I just install my main player instance straight on top of the previous one.

It's also wise to make regular backups of the settings folder (winamp.ini, gen_ml.ini, playlists.xml, main.dat, main.idx, recent.dat, recent.idx, etc.). Every now and then I've needed to restore e.g. my local library (main.dat & main.idx) from backups due to experimental alpha/beta-build code messing them up - though it's pretty rare...
Old 7th September 2022, 23:54   #409
zumer

Quote:

Although the installer cleans up any old default components (i.e. if they are either unchecked in the installer options, or removed/deprecated) and also deletes any 3rd-party plugins which are known to cause issues (gen_nomad.dll, etc.) - we don't remove other 3rd-party plugins - so it's always been up to the user to determine which of those plugins are causing issues.

Clean install instructions are available via the Help link in the player, or via the sticky threads on here.

I've never uninstalled Winamp (on my main pc) and I've never needed to do a clean install.
Although I've got numerous different instances present (5.8.1 internal - which was never released, 5.9 RC5/Final, 5.9.1 internal beta, etc.), I just install my main player instance straight on top of the previous one.

It's also wise to make regular backups of the settings folder (winamp.ini, gen_ml.ini, playlists.xml, main.dat, main.idx, recent.dat, recent.idx, etc.). Every now and then I've needed to restore e.g. my local library (main.dat & main.idx) from backups due to experimental alpha/beta-build code messing them up - though it's pretty rare...
I agree. I have never had a problem, although I have experimented a lot. Winamp has a very simple structure, and everyone decides which plugins they need.

I have a question. When can we expect support for new video formats. Additional video scaling options. I would like h265 and ac3 in the video. Now I took a52.w5s/a52.wbm from winamp v5.7.0.3444 and got ac3 on video, it works, though not always stable enough.
zumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2022, 05:05   #410
Mikey7

Quote:

...and just when I was about to type, "...but end-users aren't reading the sticky threads" I remember the desktop/Mac technician's handbook:

"You can't protect end users from themselves."

Winamp 5.9 & Modern Skins: Quinto CT 3.6 & Big Bento (color theme 138 - 1337 | Orange)
Old 8th September 2022, 18:24   #411
M.D-78 Odysséus

Does anyone know any alternative plugin to Last.fm legacy desktop scrobbler 2.1.37, I found out that this plugin is causing the constant freezes on my Winamp RC4, without it installed I played playlists of 9 uninterrupted hours without freezing in Winamp, with it installed it doesn't play 40 minutes...
M.D-78 Odysséus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2022, 19:20   #412
niwrad777

Hello world!

The "Winamp-es-us.wlz" is updated for Winamp 5.9 RC4+
Changes:
- Added: dsp_sc.lng
- Added: gen_classicart.lng
- Fix: winamp.lng, wasabi.xml
and more...

for download, please usage this link.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WINAMP-ES_2022.png
Views:	277
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	55055  
niwrad777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2022, 11:27   #413
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Winamp 5.9 Final Released!
Old 9th September 2022, 11:45   #414
ammrayet

Quote:
Please could you update the download link on the homepage to avoid confusion, as it currently still points to RC4.
ammrayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2022, 12:39   #415
zumer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zumer View Post
Hello DJ Egg. Checked it myself today. Made a test plugin. This problem when using the non-unicode function IPC_ADD_PREFS_DLG

SendMessage(hwnd_winamp,WM_WA_IPC,(WPARAM)&prefsRec,IPC_ADD_PREFS_DLG); Add not ok.
SendMessage(hwnd_winamp,WM_WA_IPC,(WPARAM)&prefsRecW,IPC_ADD_PREFS_DLGW); Add ok.

And will it be fixed?
zumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2022, 16:01   #416
Mikey7

Congratulations to DJ Egg and the Winamp Development Team!

Old 9th September 2022, 19:10   #417
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
downloaded, installed and my security gave me a pop up , under investigation wimamp.exe but it was cleared and it's up and running as expected.
Old 9th September 2022, 20:46   #418
jvidal

Send a message via ICQ to jvidal Send a message via AIM to jvidal Send a message via Yahoo to jvidal
Winamp 5.9 final IS STILL NOT HANDLING UNICODE filenames/ID3 tags correctly.

PLEASE do somthing about it!!!!!!!
Old 9th September 2022, 21:45   #419
NJK
FRISIAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvidal View Post

you do know that using CAPS is yelling in a forum, please don't or fix your keyboard if this is happening more often.
Old 10th September 2022, 07:16   #420
jvidal

First of all, if you have nothing to contribute to fix the issue, then mind your own business.
Second, I"m not yelling, I'm stressing a point.
Old 10th September 2022, 11:07   #421
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:

We need the precise step-by-step method of reproduction.

See my attached screenshot.

Those mp3 files have got unicode characters in the filenames and tags.
They are in my local library and playlist editor,
and have also been added multiple times to different playlists in the media library.
They were added via drag+drop from Windows and via Winamp's "Send To" menu.

The playlists have also been saved to .m3u8 and exported and reimported
(note it must be m3u8, not m3u).

Winamp has been closed and reopened multiple times.

All the entries appear correctly.
File Info is displayed correctly.
All files play correctly.

Name:	Winamp59_Unicode_ok.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	209.0 KB
ID:	55057  
Old 10th September 2022, 12:33   #422
Merowinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D-78 Odysséus View Post
Does anyone know any alternative plugin to Last.fm legacy desktop scrobbler 2.1.37, I found out that this plugin is causing the constant freezes on my Winamp RC4, without it installed I played playlists of 9 uninterrupted hours without freezing in Winamp, with it installed it doesn't play 40 minutes...
Maybe this is the reason for my problem?
Merowinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2022, 12:54   #423
Pawel

Egg, Winamp Team,
Thanks for Winamp 5.9. It is finally done, after almost 10 years!
Good job!

I am happy that there is still a place for Winamp for Windows desktop.
There is still A LOT to do. So many years have been lost... so many Winamp community members have left... Is it possible to make Winamp great again?
I really hope so... Keep up good work!

Winamp 5.9 can use Winamp Icon Packs and Winamp Color Themes Pack. Enjoy!

---
Polish users:
Przygotowałem Polski Pakiet Językowy dla Winampa 5.9.

Pobierzecie go z mojej prywatnej strony internetowej.
Dostępny jest on nieodpłatnie - pamiętajcie jednak, że nad jego stworzeniem spędziłem mnóstwo czasu (patrz stopka)...
-Pawel
Pawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2022, 14:35   #424
Chemodan33

Quote:
... UNICODE filenames/ID3 tags correctly...
Maybe we should post an example of such a song here so that everyone can try it for themselves and show?
Chemodan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2022, 16:56   #425
ECraig

In Winamp 5.9.0 Sep 8 2022 Unicode works fine in all respects:
ECraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2022, 17:55   #426
Yagami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey7 View Post
Congratulations to DJ Egg and the Winamp Development Team!
Agreed,Winamp finally ressurected o(*°▽°*)o
Yagami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2022, 19:34   #427
jvidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemodan33 View Post
Maybe we should post an example of such a song here so that everyone can try it for themselves and show?
I already did that earlier in this thread
Old 10th September 2022, 19:46   #428
jvidal

Quote:
We need the precise step-by-step method of reproduction.

See my attached screenshot.

Those mp3 files have got unicode characters in the filenames and tags.
They are in my local library and playlist editor,
and have also been added multiple times to different playlists in the media library.
They were added via drag+drop from Windows and via Winamp's "Send To" menu.

The playlists have also been saved to .m3u8 and exported and reimported
(note it must be m3u8, not m3u).

Winamp has been closed and reopened multiple times.

All the entries appear correctly.
File Info is displayed correctly.
All files play correctly.

Add files via the "add" button (add a folder, actually) to both playlists
create playlist "C" and then right click on playlist "A" and "B", one at a time, and send them to...playlist C.

double click any song in the new playlist (which loads the entire playlist into winamp's playlist editor). The problems start now. Some of the songs with unicode file names are displayed incorrectly, some aren't. additionally, songs incorrectly displayed are also skipped.
BUT, I found out if I drag the songs from windowsw explorer into winamp's playlist editor, then, they are displayed correctly, but might not be at a later time (closing and re-opening winamp later, for example). So, there's something wrong with unicode handling.

I also noticed, one time, that if I, instead of clicking one song in the ML, I click the playlist name, the the songs are transferred correctly to the playlist editor (can't remember now if it was all of them or only some)

As I mentioned before, other players have no issues whatsoever with these songs, so it's a winamp-specific issue. (this is to discard a system-wide issue)

I really hope you guys can do s/thing about this.
Old 10th September 2022, 22:56   #429
Legendarion

If the Final version is done, why do we keep getting the RC4 version in the main site?
Legendarion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2022, 23:02   #430
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendarion View Post
If the Final version is done, why do we keep getting the RC4 version in the main site?
The Final version is done and should be downloaded from the link at the beginning of this thread which I can confirm is working properly. I think the main website is maintained by others and perhaps we're seeing a communication issue.

Old 11th September 2022, 01:23   #431
tsunami

How i missed the lhama. Been using winamp since day one and that will never change. I do appreciated that online music streaming is back, I cant find anything wrong or to complain about, my mp3 work and online streaming channelsworks too

Long live the lhama ass kicker
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 01:35   #432
Anvil

FIRST, Welcome back to DJ Egg. Since I started using Winamp in '97, you have always been the GoTo Guy for issues. And with this release, and you on the job, I'm willing to give it a go. I was skeptical at first when I read about the 5.9 release, but falling onto this thread has eased my fears. Thank you so very much to you and all the developers that have reanimated this project. Bringing the dead to life. Thank you.
Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 01:54   #433
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Quote:
This is what I do:
create playlist "A"
create Playlist "B"
Add files via the "add" button (add a folder, actually) to both playlists
create playlist "C" and then right click on playlist "A" and "B", one at a time, and send them to...playlist C.

double click any song in the new playlist (which loads the entire playlist into winamp's playlist editor). The problems start now. Some of the songs with unicode file names are displayed incorrectly, some aren't. additionally, songs incorrectly displayed are also skipped.
BUT, I found out if I drag the songs from windows explorer into winamp's playlist editor, then, they are displayed correctly, but might not be at a later time (closing and re-opening winamp later, for example). So, there's something wrong with unicode handling.

I also noticed, one time, that if I, instead of clicking one song in the ML, I click the playlist name, the the songs are transferred correctly to the playlist editor (can't remember now if it was all of them or only some)

As I mentioned before, other players have no issues whatsoever with these songs, so it's a winamp-specific issue. (this is to discard a system-wide issue)

I really hope you guys can do s/thing about this.

Ok, it's convoluted, but yes, I was able to partly reproduce the problem using your method.

I'd been using "Send To" from ML views or pledit, or drag+drop from Windows folders...
The crucial missing point before was "add files to playlist using the 'ML => {Playlist} => Add button => Add Folder' method".

After doing this, and then closing & reopening Winamp, I found one or two albums with non-English chars in the folder/filename weren't being displayed properly in these new playlists.

The 'playlist entry' paths were indeed broken - where e.g. a char in the path/filename such as "Ø" in Øresund Space Collective became "?"

The weird part being that 9 out of 10 other Øresund Space Collective albums were all added correctly.

So it seems to be some kind of weird race condition with the Add Folder functionality.

Things did get weirder when subsequently sending these ML playlists to another ML playlist, but again, it's only some random albums which are affected, not all.

So this might be a bit tricky to work out.
We shall see...

Btw, I also noticed the Add Folder dialog includes an "Available in the Cloud" item, which is an old/deprecated Winamp 5.7 beta feature. Not sure why it's still there... and I'm also not entirely sure if I understand the logic behind the "Use original playlist instead of a Winamp managed copy" and "Make new folder" options in the "Add Folder" dialog either.
Old 11th September 2022, 02:35   #434
tsunami

it been while since i winamp probably last time i used was 3 years ago, is way to export all Playlist from with winamp?

Like 1 export containing all my playlists?
tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 05:49   #435
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
Quote:
The thing with JTFE is it added so many core features which were in Winamp for like 10-15 years.

If we natively implement just 2 or 3 (e.g. skinned Jump dialog, queue list and icon pack support), then this will cause conflicts and we'll need to remove gen_jumpex.dll during installation.

So the devs need to find the time to implement as many of the main features as possible all in one go.... the above 3, plus e.g. delayed search response, limit search results, 'send to' enhancements, explorer context menu tweaks, remove duplicate items, on end of queue options, etc. - which is all...still... on the ToDo list...
Congrats again Egg on the release.

I want to suggest again that ur devs create an open source ver of a jtfe replacement plugin that has any 2 or 3 features u want and let the community build the rest of it for u. Make it clear it’s a beta project and that a user has to choose between it or jtfe.

Quote:
I don't think we've ever natively embedded the art when writing tags, not for any formats, not unless it's already embedded.

Winamp should be able to read embedded art though (for mp3, mp4, wma, flac, vorbis)

At a guess, those editors are writing to a different frame in the Vorbis Comments, one that we're not seeing..?

You could try thinktink's embedded art plug-in
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?t=357457

Latest version
http://bogproghome.hopto.org/downloa...beddedart.html
My albeit fuzzy recollection is that Winamp has long read embedded art, and will in fact prioritize it if embedded and folder are both available when read, BUT Winamp has never allowed u to embed it or even replace it even if it’s pre-existing. The one thing u could do is use Winamp to delete embedded art, but that was it.

I believe thinktinks plugin was the premier embed art plugin of choice. I don’t use embeds almost ever, but I did find a lot of bugs with art back in the day and most were fixed. One issue which is more dev preference than bug was if Winamp was strict in needing an extension to match reality, so a png couldn’t be .jpg, etc. I usually delete embeds and use folder art, so you’d have to ask Aminfu or someone else for more precise embed behavior beyond my vague memories.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 17:51   #436
Mikey7

Re: JTFE Plugin.

The current downloadalbe JTFE plugin, v 1.33, works in all aspects with one exception - its drag & drop capability is compromised if I understand the problem correctly, or did the RC4 or Final build fix this? I don't use the plugin myself.

Old 11th September 2022, 19:27   #437
zepper

Great news to see Winamp back. Thanks for all your work to keep this always excellent player going.

A bit of a minor issue but was the Nullsoft Tiny Full screen plugin removed? I don't see vis_nsfs.dll in the installer and hate to lose it since I use it all the time. Maybe the current version 2.16 would work in Winamp 5.9 but only in Windows 7 since it was broken in Win10.
zepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 20:00   #438
Gonzotek
Gunslinger

Quote:

I was away for a while.
But I'm feeling much better now.
Gonzotek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2022, 22:08   #439
Tohno_Neil

FLAC 1.4.0 released
https://xiph.org/flac/2022/09/09/fla...-released.html

Will winamp support this new stuff?
Tohno_Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2022, 04:42   #440
Mikey7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
it been while since i winamp probably last time i used was 3 years ago, is way to export all Playlist from with winamp?

Like 1 export containing all my playlists?
There *may* be. I have an old plugin that might do this in one action. I know what you're talking about - by itself, the ML only allows you to copy ONE playlist entry to the folder of your choice at a time. It takes forever. Let me see if this plugin I have works in 5.9 Final and I will get back to you.

EDIT: Unfortunately, it does not work. Copying ML playlist files (by actual playlist name so you know what they are instead of by hexadecimal designations such as "plf9A31.m3u8") by highlighting and choosing them at will is a badly needed function of Winamp.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion