Old 21st October 2002, 10:57   #1
Pentagon VS

What is the reason for internal builds?

What is the reason for internal builds?

I know they are not finished builds, with certain options not yet working correctly, but why not give a link on NSDN clearly stating this is a not fully functional build.

People who want the official release will get it by going to www.winamp.com, while people like me will download these builds from NSDN.
Old 21st October 2002, 11:35   #2
Tomato Face

Send a message via ICQ to Tomato Face
They're for release within the Nullsoft team. It's so everyone can see what is currently going on with Winamp3 and they can find any bugs that have slipped in since the last release. They are always buggy and broken, so there is no reason to release it to the public, and don't expect them to do that any time soon.

Old King Cole was a merry old soul.
Old 21st October 2002, 11:43   #3
Pentagon VS

So I could say thyat these builds are only for the people mentioned under the credits section within Winamp.

I thought there are actually people not really developing for Winamp that receive internal builds. Registered users or something like that.
Old 21st October 2002, 11:49   #4
Mr Jones
Nothing to say...

Internals are distributed to a group of developers and trusted beta testers, and not for general consumption by the public. They usualy have some new features built in, and also usualy have a lot of old features broken. If they were given out to the general public, they would be percieved as "release quality material", and quite frankly, they are not.

It would not do the reputation of Nullsoft, Winmap.com and AOL to have half baked, bug filled internal builds flying around all over the net.

Wait for a solid build, not a flaky internal, they often cause more problems than they are worth.
Old 21st October 2002, 17:01   #5
Russ
Mostly Harmless
(Alumni)

For a perspective view, build 490 crashes about every 4 songs, has a media info editor that doesn't work (although it looks very cool), and simply doesn't load most playlists. And I'm using it as my main player. When there's something actually stable to release, they'll release it.

For long you live and high you fly, but only if you ride the tide, and balanced on the biggest wave you race towards an early grave.
|Musicbrainz|Audioscrobbler|last.fm|
Old 22nd October 2002, 03:10   #6
s0be
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to s0be Send a message via AIM to s0be Send a message via Yahoo to s0be
I always thought their reasoning for not releasing it was to keep the "winamp sucks rhino balls" bitching down.

/*
S0Be
*/

P.S. I got bored and animated my Avatar

And On that day, the Lords of the land said unto their Master Architect, "The temple you have made to the gods of Wasabi and Maki has brought us no great prosperity" and they sent out him into the lands.

As he traveled to a far off land, he found he wasn't traveling alone, but that he had gained companions, and when they found their new land, they started work on a new temple, one that would be OPEN to all who wanted to worship.

from The Book of Wasabi C 12 Vs 09 (pg 2003)
Old 22nd October 2002, 04:00   #7
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

I agree with RussGarrett.

Lots of stuff is BoRkED, but when it does work .. WOW

These builds aren't as fuctional as 488.

Not yet anyway, But thats what happens when you live on the edge of danger.
Old 22nd October 2002, 05:04   #8
Ice
Moderator Alumni
Americas Favorite Smut Peddler

Quote:
Originally posted by RussGarrett
For a perspective view, build 490 crashes about every 4 songs, has a media info editor that doesn't work (although it looks very cool), and simply doesn't load most playlists. And I'm using it as my main player. When there's something actually stable to release, they'll release it.
..and they vary depending on the computer. i've been running 490 since it was released on the beta site... for russ, its been really unstable, for me it's been damn stable. when you have that kind of uncertainty, you dont want to release it to the public because they'll constantly bitch about how horrible it is, even if its not *released*.

I'd like to meet a mad man who makes it all seem sane
To work out all these troubles and what there is to gain

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp3 > Winamp3 Discussion