Old 16th June 2010, 06:26   #1
Lessarof2Evils

Shoutcast Bittorrent?

correct me if I am wrong. but from my understanding shoutcast streams to who ever is connected the old fashion direct way. so the limit to listeners is limited by the broadcasters connection.

Is there a Bittorrent like protocol that creates a swarm that listeners report to? With the main source boadcasting to say 100 people and they all broadcast to 10 people who also broadcast to 10 people. which would be 10,000 listeners using the B/W of 100 or even 150 (depending on the B/W used by the Host for the Tracker). If there inst such a protocol, Html or app why not? If there is please redirect me.
Lessarof2Evils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 06:42   #2
Nick@ss

Not that i am aware of.
Nick@ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2010, 15:32   #3
streamer45

You could try take a look to projects like Goalbit or Tribler
streamer45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 02:23   #4
Lessarof2Evils

im not looking for a 3rd party app. actually looking for a more open source solution. Something that may incorporate bittorrent HTML code. Content providers like Youtube and vimeo already use it for enhancing delivery to its users and File sites as well. I know it works for static content, but live content?
Old 21st June 2010, 05:37   #5
Lessarof2Evils

it may be possible with html5 audio tag and the bittorrent java DNA. with a few pics you could model your own in browser player that supplies the feed. Why is it I cant find the implementaion of live streams or even stream with bittorrent DNA. time to go steal source. might post here is I get one working. or find one.
Old 11th July 2010, 19:56   #6
sankt

There are several websites that allow you to view / listen / stream single BitTorrent files. From what I have read about Tribler, standard BitTorrent clients can be modified to accommodate Tribler live streams.
It might be just a matter of contacting these sites and have them modify their torrent streaming applets. (Their clients are written as Java Applets.)

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - www.ScenicTelevision.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2010, 08:16   #7
Lessarof2Evils

if you goto bittorrent its self they have a demo of the BTDNA in java. and I know that media sites are using this tech; Hell Valve uses the most( it is the only logical way around the massive bandwidth they need not only for files but for media too). They aren't the only ones p2p media via bittorrent is a simple solution to bandwidth. I cant be the only one to have thought of this.
Old 15th July 2010, 04:12   #8
sankt

Standard torrents are for files with a defined size, it would take some special tweaking with Bittorrent code to accommodate continuously streamed content vs a single file.

Scenic Television is your ambient window to the world - - www.ScenicTelevision.com
sankt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2010, 09:08   #9
voodoohippie

Send a message via Yahoo to voodoohippie
Streamerp2p uses a technology similar to this and Streamerp2p works really nicely. Before I started broadcasting on Shoutcast/Loudcaster I use to stream on Streamerp2p. I'd set up my SAM just as a regular Shoutcast server and stream to localhost. The p2p client would then broadcast my signal to the listener and he/she would broadcast that signal to the next listener in the chain. It is recommended to broadcast in 64K Mp3 22.1 Stereo or Ogg as this concerves bandwidth for each user and assures good quality. Funny thing is that Streamer has been around for quite some time and yet its popularity has not grown into the thousands. Its slowly catching on, but seems more popular overseas as most of those listeners are really into the music and understand technology.

Who knows however with the confusion of Shoutcast 2.0 maybe Streamer will be written to support Blackberry phones and other smartphone devices. Then Streamer would really take off.

Great Broadcasting Software Windows XP/7/8
http://nextkast.com

For Progressive Rock, Classic Rock http://thelegacy.shorturl.com
voodoohippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Shoutcast > Shoutcast Discussions

Tags
bittorrent, shoutcast