Old 30th May 2005, 02:33   #1
RedivideR

Bug causing lost Comments

There is a bug in WinAmp which causes the Comments field to be lost under certain situations. From what I can tell, WinAmp does not properly read ID3 v2.3 tags with multiple Comments (COMM) frames. According to the standard, the COMM frame in an ID3 v2.3 tag has a Text field, which stores the actual comments, and a Description field which stores a description about the comments. The tag can contain multiple COMM frames, as long as the Description field of the of the COMM frame is different.

The problem is that WinAmp appears to ignore the Description field of the COMM frame. Instead of properly taking into account the Description field of a Comments frame, WinAmp will set the "Comment" field in the "View File Info" based on the Text field of whichever COMM frame happens to be read last. Because of this bug, a tag might have detailed comments, but you'd never see it, because WinAmp is showing the Text field from the wrong COMM frame.

You can verify this behavior easily by using a tag editor which uses the Description property of the COMM frame (such as MusicMatch Jukebox) and performing the following steps...

1) In MusicMatch, open up an MP3 with a ID3 v 2.3 tag with no Comments field.
2) Edit the tag info and enter "Comments entered before Tempo" into the "Notes" field.
3) Save the file.
4) Edit the tag again and set the Tempo to "Slow".
5) Save the file.
6) Open up the file in WinAmp.

In the Comments field, you'll see "Slow" and not "Comments entered before Tempo". What WinAmp should be doing is showing the comments from a COMM field which has a blank Description field. But what it is doing instead is skipping over the real Comments and showing the Text from the COMM field that Jukebox is using to store the Tempo value of "Slow".

Note that this not a problem with MusicMatch Jukebox. The problem is in the way that WinAmp's interprets the COMM frames. Jukebox merely *exposes* the problem; it's not the problem.

Some people may ask "So what if WinAmp doesn't handle multiple Comments frames exactly according to the ID3 v2.3 standard? I'm a loyal WinAmp user. I don't use any other tag editing programs!" But, what if you download a public domain (of course) MP3 or even purchase an MP3 which was edited using a program other than WinAmp? The Comments entered using that program might not show up in WinAmp because of this bug.

Admittedly, this bug will only happen on rare occasions. But for such as easy fix, I would think it’d be worth the time to prevent the potential loss of data.

[BTW, I had originally reported this bug here regarding WinAmp 5.02, but it's still around in 5.092 and it's not in the known bug list.]

- RedivideR
RedivideR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2005, 03:54   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

No-one here is going to install Musicmatch.
How else do we reproduce this so-called bug? Seeing as no other players I know of support Notes and Tempo fields in ID3 tags.
Note that Musicmatch uses a modified version of ID3 v2.4, not standard ID3 v2.3.

Possibly more of a feature request than a bug, maybe?
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2005, 05:43   #3
RedivideR

>No-one here is going to install Musicmatch.
Not even to confirm a bug that can cause loss of data? I could edit a copy of the WinAmp demo.mp3 and attach it to a reply. (Would this be breaking any policy?)

>How else do we reproduce this so-called bug?
While this isn't quite the same as the issue with the Description field, here's a way to demonstrate another sympton of the same bug. In Windows Media Player, open up an MP3 with an ID3 2.3 tag. Go to the Comments tab in the "Advanced Tag Editor". Add two Comments items, making sure to select a different language for each item. Opening up this file in WinAmp will only show one of the two Comments items added, depending on which one happened to be added first.

>Seeing as no other player I know of support Notes and
>Tempo fields in ID3 tags.
To be honest, I don't know of any other tag editors or players either that use the Description field in the COMM frame in the way MusicMatch does. But that's hardly the point. A bug exists in WinAmp that will show the incorrect data for some files edited with MusicMatch Jukebox and, more importantly, any other tag editor which decided to take advantage of the ID3 v2.3 standard's ability to store multiple COMM fields.

>Note that Musicmatch uses a modified version of ID3 v2.4,
>not standard ID3 v2.3.
I used a file with only an ID3 v2.3 tag, so MMJB's support of v2.4 doesn't apply here.

>Possibly more of a feature request than a bug, maybe?
If I were asking that WinAmp be enhanced to be able to add multiple Comment frames, then I could see this as a feature request. Instead, what I am doing is reporting a bug in how WinAmp reads an ID3 v2.3 tag with multiple COMM frames.

I understand completely the decision to only show one Comment frame in WinAmp. However, other tag editors out there may decide to take full advantage of the standard and include multiple COMM frames. I personally consider it to be a bug that WinAmp chooses the wrong frame to display in some cases, which could lead to data loss.

- RedivideR
RedivideR is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports