Yoshi_2104

Specs:

Windows XP SP2 *german*
1024MB RAM
Abit AV8
Radeon 9800 Pro
Onboard Sound (Realtek ALC650)

Winamp 5.24

In the Options you can say, that the WinAmp Icon is only in the System Tray. When you click on "Exit" Winamp freezes and isn't closed poperly. The only way to get it off is the task manager. Tried with 5.23 and 5.24 in Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista Beta 2.

On another Computer i've 5.22 installed and there it works normally. For me it's since 5.23. Is there any solution yet ? I can't find it in the thread (ok it's late here ).

Greetz Yoshi

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Posts merged into one.
Nobody can reproduce this. Confirm a clean install with NO 3rd-party plugins.
If the problem persists, please read this first and post in Tech Support instead.
Old 24th June 2006, 22:50   #2
Yoshi_2104

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoshi_2104
Specs:

Windows XP SP2 *german*
1024MB RAM
Abit AV8
Radeon 9800 Pro
Onboard Sound (Realtek ALC650)

Winamp 5.24

In the Options you can say, that the WinAmp Icon is only in the System Tray. When you click on "Exit" Winamp freezes and isn't closed poperly. The only way to get it off is the task manager. Tried with 5.23 and 5.24 in Windows XP SP2 and Windows Vista Beta 2.

On another Computer i've 5.22 installed and there it works normally. For me it's since 5.23. Is there any solution yet ? I can't find it in the thread (ok it's late here ).

Greetz Yoshi

[Edit --> DJ Egg]
Posts merged into one.
Nobody can reproduce this. Confirm a clean install with NO 3rd-party plugins.
If the problem persists, please read this first and post in Tech Support instead.
Tried on 4 machines now and all the same Winamp 5.24 doesn't close properly. In my Playlist are about 2600 Songs (all MP3) all saved in one Folder with subfolders. My Winamp-Version is 5.24 Full with seperate Settings per User Account.

Quote:
My Computer:
Computer
Computer Type ACPI-Uniprozessor-PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180 (IE 6.0 SP2)
DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard
CPU Type AMD Athlon XP, 2083 MHz (12.5 x 167) 2600+
Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 3 DDR DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 SPP
System Memory 512 MB (PC2700 DDR SDRAM)
BIOS Type Award (09/27/05)

Display
Video Adapter RADEON 9600 SERIES - Secondary (256 MB)
Video Adapter RADEON 9600 SERIES (256 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9600 XT (RV360)
Monitor Iiyama Vision Master 400 S702G/GT [17" CRT]

Multimedia
Audio Adapter Creative SB Live! 5.1 Sound Card

Storage
IDE Controller Standard-Zweikanal-PCI-IDE-Controller
Floppy Drive Diskettenlaufwerk
Disk Drive WDC WD800JB-00JJA0 (74 GB, IDE)
Optical Drive TEAC DV-W58G (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:4x/2x, DVD-ROM:12x, CD:40x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)
Optical Drive TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-M1912 (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions
C: (NTFS) 10236 MB (6106 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 66079 MB (7074 MB free)
Total Size 74.5 GB (12.9 GB free)

Input
Keyboard Standardtastatur (101/102 Tasten) oder Microsoft Natural Keyboard (PS/2)
Mouse PS/2-kompatible Maus

Network
Primary IP Address 192.168.178.24
Primary MAC Address 00-04-0E-C0-60-7E
Network Adapter AVM FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick (192.168.178.24)

Peripherals
Printer Microsoft Office Document Image Writer
USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP2 - OHCI USB Controller
USB1 Controller nVIDIA MCP2 - OHCI USB Controller
USB2 Controller nVIDIA MCP2 - EHCI USB 2.0 Controller
USB Device AVM FRITZ!WLAN USB Stick
And as i read my descirption of the problem again i think you maybe don't understand it like i mean it. As i sad i activated to show winamp icon as tray icon only. when i click on the icon, winamp opens i can close it with "alt + f4" or with the "x" or via "File -> Exit". There are no problems. But when Winamp is minimzed to tray and i right-click on the trayicon and click "Exit", WinAmp freezes.

cu Yoshi !

PS. These are the specs of the computer im currently working with. Tomorrow evening i can provide the other specs if they are necessary. But i don't think so, because on all machiones it's the same... :'-(

PPS. Tried with a clean install and it's the same. And i don't use 3rd party plug-ins.
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (4.2 KB, 564 views)
Old 24th June 2006, 23:46   #3
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Ok, I've split your posts from the sticky thread, because they require interaction/responses.

As I said, we can't reproduce the problem (and believe me, we've tried).

Can we see a my_plugin_list.txt log? (info/instructions here)

Also confirm that you're not using a Winamp/German Language Pack.
DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2006, 10:35   #4
Yoshi_2104

I don't use a language pack. I always use the installer "as it is" from here. The problem is only there when i play a file from the playlist (doesn't matter wich one). when WinAmp is minimized to tray and no song is playing the exit function via right-click and Exit works perfect.

cu Yoshi !
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (2.1 KB, 516 views)

Last edited by Yoshi_2104; 25th June 2006 at 11:02.
Old 25th June 2006, 12:52   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

We still can't reproduce the problem.

There's been one other similar report here.

The common denominator between your HJT log and RejZoR's (from the other thread) is that you're both using NOD32 AV. Does the problem persist if you add winamp.exe (or the entire Winamp folder) to NOD32's realtime scan exclusion list?
Old 25th June 2006, 13:22   #6
Yoshi_2104

i will try but why should this be a problem with NOD32 ? With NOD32 and WinAmp 5.22 everything works fine.

cu Yoshi !

EDIT: Okay, excluded WinAmp Folder and the folder where my music is stored but the problem is still there.

My Question: Since 5.23 have you changed anything in the Code what could cause this ?
Old 25th June 2006, 13:30   #7
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Not that I know of. Sorry, but we're still baffled.

Anyone else got any insight/ideas?

Does the problem occur with both out_ds and out_wave plugins?
(out_ds is probably your currently selected Output plugin, but try switching to WaveOut/out_wave and let us know if it still happens).

Also let us know if it happens if you temporarily disable in_wm.dll
(close Winamp, go to the Winamp\Plugins dir, rename it to eg. in_wm.dll.off)

Still happens? Repeat for pmp_p4s.dll (rename to pmp_p4s.dll.off)

Also try updating to latest gen_jumpex
Old 25th June 2006, 14:07   #8
Yoshi_2104

With WaveOut it also happens, gen_jumpex is up2date and both plugins are disabled. But the problem is there I tried a clean install again with shared settings for everyone but this doesn't help.

cu Yoshi !
Old 25th June 2006, 17:12   #9
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The plot thickens...

I see you've both also got WMP11's Portable Device Support loading:

O21 - SSODL: WPDShServiceObj

Does the problem persist is you totally disable Winamp's portable Device Support?
(ie. by renaming ml_pmp.dll to ml_pmp.dll.off)

I honestly can't think of or see any other possible cause.
Old 25th June 2006, 19:33   #10
Yoshi_2104

That can't be the problem because on 2 of 4 tested machines WMP 10 is running. Not the Beta of WMP 11 but i try. One sec plz.

cu Yoshi !

As i thought this isn't the problem. When Exiting via Tray icon while a song from the playlist is running winamp freezes
Old 26th June 2006, 16:20   #11
li1997

Send a message via AIM to li1997
same here

I am having the same problem here too..

I was able to reproduce this in 5.24 & 5.23.
attached is the plug-in listing.

Enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: txt my_plugin_list.txt (2.4 KB, 540 views)
li1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2006, 18:04   #12
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

...and the HJT log?

ps. note, that we're all testing with latest 5.25 internal beta here, so it's possible that if the bug existed in 5.23/4 that it's already fixed for the next release.
Old 27th June 2006, 14:17   #13
Yoshi_2104

does this beta become public ? or is there any possibility to test that beta ?

cu Yoshi !
Old 27th June 2006, 21:17   #14
SpyMan

Same problem here. Winamp 5.24, WinXP SP2 and NOD32.

I disabled NOD32 completely and tried. In 4 times, the problem showed only 1 time. While NOD32 is active, all tries causes the problem.

Don't know if it's really something related to NOD32 because of the 4th try, that caused the problem despite of NOD32 being disabled.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

Cheers
SpyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 10:40   #15
RejZoR

Portable devices have nothing to do with this. I've uninstalled that module and problem persisted.
I'll now uninstall NOD32 and try again heh...
RejZoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 15:23   #16
Yoshi_2104

please do so. i don't have the time to kill & reinstall NOD32

cu Yoshi !
Old 29th June 2006, 05:03   #17
RejZoR

Ok, i removed NOD32 and replaced it with AntiVir 7 Classic. Problem with freezing persisted.
Then i even removed Windows Media Player 11 Beta (so i again have WMP10 Final) and guess what, problem persisted.
Old 29th June 2006, 08:13   #18
RejZoR

Was testing WaveOUT instead DirectSound output and it freezed again. Sorry but only conclussion that i can come up with is that WA 5.23 and above are seriously messed up.
Don't know what you've changed but you certanly did something to cause this problem as NO version prior to WA 5.23 never ever caused this bug.
Old 29th June 2006, 11:26   #19
Yoshi_2104

I killed my Windows last night and made a fresh install and tried BitDefender 9 as Anti-Virus and Winamp also freezes. So there must be something wrong with the Code. I really want to try out 5.25 Beta if this is possible.

cu Yoshi !
Old 29th June 2006, 20:33   #20
WildcatRay

Send a message via AIM to WildcatRay
Issue: Winamp 5.24 (Full) freezes on Exit using System Tray Icon menu. It does this regardless of JTFE patch installation to correct exit on hibernate issue. Currently, have a fresh install (Full) without patch or other add-ins/plug-ins installed and still have problem.

Please include all relevant system specs, including:
-PC = Dell 4300
-CPU = 1.6 GHz Pentium IV
-RAM = 512 KB
-Sound card or chip = SoundMAXIntegrated Digital Audio
-Videocard = 16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra
-Windows OS = Win2K SP4 with ALL updates
-DirectX version = DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0409)
-Winamp version = 5.24
-Confirmation of the Winamp installation type = Full
-Multi-user = Shared, though, not a multiple user PC
Attached Files
File Type: txt hijackthis.txt (9.1 KB, 601 views)

Windoze 2000, Minefield (Trunk), Firefox 2.0.0.x, Thunderbird 2.0.0.x, avast Antivirus, Sygate Personal Firewall
WildcatRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2006, 20:51   #21
Yoshi_2104

So this must be a problem of WinAmp 5.24. Hopefully it's fixed in 5.25. And i still would try the beta

cu Yoshi !
Old 30th June 2006, 07:30   #22
RejZoR

It's clearly a bug in WinAMP. I just installed back WA 5.22 (for the 5th time) and no freezing whatsoever.
Old 30th June 2006, 11:02   #23
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

You are not wrong. I just used 7Zip to extract the files from the 5.24 installer to a new dir, and I was able to reproduce the bug.

The bug is not reproducable under the latest 5.25 internal beta, so we are going to assume that it's already fixed.

Alas, 5.25 beta is not currently available to the public, though there has been talk of making it so... we shall see.

[EDIT] Changed to bold text for clarification. No further discussion required. [/EDIT]
Old 30th June 2006, 11:52   #24
Yoshi_2104

cool Then i think it'll be fixed in 5.25 THX !

cu Yoshi !
Old 30th June 2006, 12:08   #25
RejZoR

Good to hear. Please make last build before it goes to final available to few of us that had this problem so we can verify it for sure. Thx
Old 30th June 2006, 15:46   #26
WildcatRay

Quote:
Originally posted by WildcatRay
Issue: Winamp 5.24 (Full) freezes on Exit using System Tray Icon menu. It does this regardless of JTFE patch installation to correct exit on hibernate issue. Currently, have a fresh install (Full) without patch or other add-ins/plug-ins installed and still have problem.

Please include all relevant system specs, including:
-PC = Dell 4300
-CPU = 1.6 GHz Pentium IV
-RAM = 512 KB
-Sound card or chip = SoundMAXIntegrated Digital Audio
-Videocard = 16MB ATI Rage 128 Ultra
-Windows OS = Win2K SP4 with ALL updates
-DirectX version = DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0409)
-Winamp version = 5.24
-Confirmation of the Winamp installation type = Full
-Multi-user = Shared, though, not a multiple user PC
Here is some additional information. I had my preferences set to only show Winamp in the System Tray, i.e., when showing Winamp on the Desktop, there was no corresponding Taskbar item/icon, only the System Tray icon. When I checked to also show Winamp in the Taskbar and tried to exit when minimized and Winamp not showing in the Taskbar and only in the System Tray, it exited as expected. Winamp also exits normally with it open on the Desktop and using the System Tray icon menu.

Windoze 2000, Minefield (Trunk), Firefox 2.0.0.x, Thunderbird 2.0.0.x, avast Antivirus, Sygate Personal Firewall
Old 30th June 2006, 16:07   #27
RejZoR

Sometimes it exits fine, but sometimes it doesn't. No real pattern to reproduce it, it just happens.
Old 30th June 2006, 17:35   #28
WildcatRay

Quote:
Originally posted by RejZoR
Sometimes it exits fine, but sometimes it doesn't. No real pattern to reproduce it, it just happens.
For me, without the "Taskbar" box checked, Winamp would always freeze when trying to exit using the System Tray icon menu. If I see inconsistency with things as they are now, I will let you all know.

Old 2nd July 2006, 12:50   #29
ignoramous

I'm using Ver. 5.24 and this problem seemed doesn't appear on the older version.

Whenever I'm playing the song and I right click winamp system tray -> Exit. The program will simply not responding, if I forced ended the task the playlist will not be saved. If not playing any song, it can be exit by using this way.

If I exit the program by clicking the "x" on the top right corner (whether is playing song or not), it exited normally.

BTW my settings set to only show winamp in system tray. And scroll title in taskbar.
ignoramous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 12:56   #30
Yoshi_2104

Like Egg said before it'll be fixed in 5.25 !!! So where is the problem ?

cu Yoshi !
Old 2nd July 2006, 13:33   #31
WildcatRay

Quote:
Originally posted by Yoshi_2104
Like Egg said before it'll be fixed in 5.25 !!! So where is the problem ?

cu Yoshi !
The problem is that users of 5.24 have to "work around" this problem which is a pain. While it persists and 5.25 remains unavailable as an official release, people might opt to try other programs and then not return to Winamp.

FYI: I listen to Internet radio (SomaFM) using Winamp. I started with iTunes, but tired of Apple's way of doing business plus iTunes is a big time memory hog. SomaFM encourages its patrons to use Winamp, so I switched to Winamp. Until 5.23 and 5.24, I did not have any problems with Winamp. I can listen to SomaFM using jetAudio. If I (and others) were to stay with jetAudio, Winamp loses a customer(s). That is never good.

Old 2nd July 2006, 13:56   #32
DrO

pushing out a part complete 5.25 build just to resolve your issue will cause more damage to all of the other users since it's not a complete build at the moment and more work needs to be done to resolve the issues left in it due to unicode changes, etc. so yes it may be annoying, yes you may want a build which works but until other aspects are stable you're better off with the one you've got and the one issue rather than the fix and a load of other ones. just be patient like everyone else has to be before it goes final.

-daz
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2006, 17:51   #33
WildcatRay

Quote:
Originally posted by DrO
pushing out a part complete 5.25 build just to resolve your issue will cause more damage to all of the other users since it's not a complete build at the moment and more work needs to be done to resolve the issues left in it due to unicode changes, etc. so yes it may be annoying, yes you may want a build which works but until other aspects are stable you're better off with the one you've got and the one issue rather than the fix and a load of other ones. just be patient like everyone else has to be before it goes final.

-daz
Please don't take my comments as criticism for not releasing 5.25. Whatever changes that are being made in the new version can and do need to be properly tested before being released as a "finished" product.

My comments were more in the vein of previous experiences. A company that I worked for produced telecommunications equipment. A customer of ours discovered a problem that my company initially developed a "work-around" for. They had the customer use this "work-around" promising to provide a permanent fix with the next version of the system. Guess what? My company released the next version and, in the process, forgot to fix the problem the customer discovered in the old release! My company had to have the customer continue to use the "work-around" all the while suffering the embarrassment of not having fixed the customer's problem as they had promised. Who would blame the customer if they opted to go to someone else.

Old 2nd July 2006, 17:59   #34
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

The workaround is to not close Winamp 5.24 via the System Tray icon,
ie. close it via the main Winamp interface instead
(eg. main window > x, or main window > main menu > exit, etc),
or of it only happens when a file is still playing, then stop playback first.

As I already said above, the issue is already fixed for 5.25
so there's not much more that can be said or done about it here, heh.
Old 2nd July 2006, 19:15   #35
Yoshi_2104

@ DJ Egg

That's waht i wanted to say. And i think we can wait for 5.25 a few days.

@ all

Sorry i didn't want to attack someone. *sry* if i sounded like that.
Old 27th July 2006, 10:19   #36
RejZoR

Just to let WA devs know, this bug is NOT fixed in WA 5.25 beta (build 787). I wanted to close WA via tray icon and it's busted again... killing the process is the only way to close it.
Old 27th July 2006, 10:47   #37
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Sorry, but we can't reproduce the problem.

[Edit]

Ahh... wait!

I didn't have pmp_ipod.dll and pmp_p4s.dll installed.
I just extracted those two from the installer, and now I can reproduce the problem.

Hmm, well I managed to reproduce it once, but now can't repro it again. Strange...
Old 27th July 2006, 11:55   #38
RejZoR

This is random and it won't happen again and again each time. Would be easier to fix if it would though...
Btw i'm not even using those two plugins mentioned by you.
Old 27th July 2006, 13:36   #39
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Yeah, if it's random, then it's certainly not going to be easy to reproduce/fix.

So neither of those two pmp plugins are present in the winamp\plugins dir then?
Old 27th July 2006, 14:31   #40
WildcatRay

Hasn't this problem "already" been solved in the alphas or betas of Winamp 5.25?

Isn't the "work-around" to "Restore" winamp from the system tray icon and then exit that way?

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports