Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports

Closed Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 05:28   #41
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
but what about when what you specify in basic or v2 is a value OTHER THAN one of the finite existing v1 values?

in other words, I would expect "blues" and "easy listening" to be in the v1 values, meaning codes exist for those. what happens when you specify something in basic or v2 that has no equal in v1? that's what I was talking about.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
Old 9th May 2013, 06:39   #42
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
i've tried to replicate this again against the current internal build and i'm not seeing the issue anymore though i've a suspicion it'll probably still be present in the next public build (only r-tried now as we fixed a few minor memory issues between 3367 and the current internal build which may or may not [more likely] be related to this issue).

as there's no reason for it to be happening but as i cannot replicate anymore and couldn't find a cause let alone a solution when i was able to replicate, i can only assume some sort of weird memory corruption / caching going on.
I just installed Winamp 5.8 Beta 6, build 3381

I'm still having the same issue as before.

For FLAC files, the Genre drop-down in the "File Info" window is displaying whatever value was last written to a file (instead of pulling the value from the selected FLAC). The correct value displays in the ML. It's only on the "Basic Info" tab of the "File Info" that it displays incorrectly ... and only for FLAC files. On mp3 files everything works as expected.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:38   #43
DrO

there will be some changes relating to this in 3383 or anything newer.
Old 9th May 2013, 12:49   #44
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
there will be some changes relating to this in 3383 or anything newer.
Understood DrO. I'll sit tight for a newer build.

Do you need anything from me in the interim to help with replicating or debugging this issue?
Old 9th May 2013, 13:02   #45
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSinatra View Post
but what about when what you specify in basic or v2 is a value OTHER THAN one of the finite existing v1 values?

in other words, I would expect "blues" and "easy listening" to be in the v1 values, meaning codes exist for those. what happens when you specify something in basic or v2 that has no equal in v1? that's what I was talking about.
What has this to do with the visual discrepancy issue?

You could test that yourself and see what happens. I mentioned before I usually don't go looking for trouble. For the ID3v1 genre, I always use something from the provided listing. I sometimes use a custom value for the v2 genre. For example, I use "RnB" for v2 and "R&B" for v1 (that does not change the visual discrepancy problem).

If you want to discuss this (mp3 ID3v1 genre tag display issue) further, I suggest we use my thread and leave this one for the flac genre display issue.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Old 9th May 2013, 13:44   #46
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
What has this to do with the visual discrepancy issue?
you need to test it to find out.

Quote:
You could test that yourself and see what happens.
and what makes you think I haven't? the whole point of msg boards is to share info though, but in bug testing you don't want to influence someone elses results with your own, until AFTER they test.

Quote:
I mentioned before I usually don't go looking for trouble. For the ID3v1 genre, I always use something from the provided listing. I sometimes use a custom value for the v2 genre. For example, I use "RnB" for v2 and "R&B" for v1 (that does not change the visual discrepancy problem).
looking for trouble has nothing to do with it. sometimes when you do something unexpected you find out things. and in this case its not unexpected in the marketplace sense, lots of people use both tags while also using any value they want for Genre.

given that, it was reasonable to ask what the behavior of winamp was under such a scenario. how instructive it ends up being or not is another matter, but u don't know until you do it.

Quote:
If you want to discuss this (mp3 ID3v1 genre tag display issue) further, I suggest we use my thread and leave this one for the flac genre display issue.
fine with me, although you injected it into this thread, and it seems from DrO's posts the two issues are related, (to some degree).

--
Old 9th May 2013, 15:22   #47
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
fine with me, although you injected it into this thread, and it seems from DrO's posts the two issues are related, (to some degree).
I added that I'm seeing the same thing (visual discrepancy) with the mp3 ID3v1 genre tag dialog that jph6t is seeing with his flacs in another part of the Alt+3 editor. You injected the side questions, which may or may not be related to the visual discrepancy. I also added a few OT comments related to a couple other posts in this thread (sorry, jph6t).

I'm willing to do whatever tests that I think are directly related to my issues, especially if a dev suggests them. I'm willing to do the same thing for the issues of others that I chose to get involved in.

I realize I could be wrong in what I think is directly related (but I trust my background and experience just like you do yours). I can live with being wrong from time to time. I need to draw a line somewhere, as I don't wish to spend the time doing anything and everything.

So I'm not so willing to go on 'witch hunts' looking for what may happen. As things come up, I deal with them as directly as I can. If you like doing these general tests that you think could be related, that's fine with me. The fact that you don't want to share your results until someone else does the same test and shares their results is not very helpful, imo. But, that's fine with me too.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 9th May 2013, 15:52   #48
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
I also added a few OT comments related to a couple other posts in this thread (sorry, jph6t).
Thanks for acknowledgment. It's all good. Everyone's heart seems to be in the right place ... each just sharing their observations on what seems to be a weird little bug. I'd like to think its the product that benefits from the different perspectives.

From here, it appears like we all love Winamp and just want to see it keep kicking the Llama's ass.
Old 9th May 2013, 16:42   #49
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
I added that I'm seeing the same thing (visual discrepancy) with the mp3 ID3v1 genre tag dialog that jph6t is seeing with his flacs in another part of the Alt+3 editor. You injected the side questions, which may or may not be related to the visual discrepancy. I also added a few OT comments related to a couple other posts in this thread (sorry, jph6t).
ha, god. amazing. so now you are the arbiter of what will or won't turn out to be relevant? I injected here, and elsewhere, comments that MAY be helpful, or may not be, but clearly the intent is constructive.

Quote:
I'm willing to do whatever tests that I think are directly related to my issues, especially if a dev suggests them. I'm willing to do the same thing for the issues of others that I chose to get involved in.
great.

Quote:
I realize I could be wrong in what I think is directly related (but I trust my background and experience just like you do yours). I can live with being wrong from time to time. I need to draw a line somewhere, as I don't wish to spend the time doing anything and everything.
you have spent 20 times the time on this convo here and elsewhere, than the 5min or whatever it would have taken to simply provide a method we could all use to reproduce. it is informative that I can not reproduce jht's results, even if its not helpful. it says that the issue is either intermittent or unique to him. now, clearly, you don't want to do them, that's fine. maybe i should be able to reproduce your method with only what you said, certainly possible. but I wanted clarification in order to be precise and helpful. you're not interested, fine, I get it. but what you can hardly say is that "not wasting your time" is the reason.

and that's just part of this. the other part is I am free to post whatever I think may be related or relevant, or is just interesting to whatever is being discussed. I don't appreciate your blasting me for linking the m4a issue. just because in your opinion it wasn't related, doesn't make it so, and doesn't respect the credibility I have with identifying and getting bugs solved. for you to do so inhibits brainstorming which frequently is required in such pursuits.

fyi: the m4a link was related, just in different ways.

Quote:
So I'm not so willing to go on 'witch hunts' looking for what may happen. As things come up, I deal with them as directly as I can. If you like doing these general tests that you think could be related, that's fine with me. The fact that you don't want to share your results until someone else does the same test and shares their results is not very helpful, imo. But, that's fine with me too.
witch hunts? hahaha, fine. and I don't share results when doing so could influence your results. that's called blind. that's called the scientific method. that's called keeping it valid. hardly a radical POV and gets back to the SOP principle.

anyway, enough blather, at each point I was simply trying to help. sounds like DrO will have this fixed for FLAC and id3 going forward. I hope he tells us what it was and how he fixed it, but even if he doesn't, it will be nice just to have it fixed. either way its pointless to keep discussing this especially if I'm going to be insulted for my contributions.

--
Old 9th May 2013, 17:05   #50
Aminifu
Forum King

I took time to respond to you to keep from appearing rude. But I'm also done, we'll have to agree to disagree on some things.

Old 18th May 2013, 04:19   #51
jph6t
Major Dude

Winamp 5.7 Beta 7, build 3392

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Winamp 5.7 Beta 7, build 3381 to 3392 changelog
- [in_flac] Possible fix for jph6t's FLAC genre issue
I just installed Beta 7, build 3392.
No joy DrO. I'm still getting the same error.
Let me know what additional info I can provide you to help replicate/debug.
Old 18th May 2013, 05:27   #52
MrSinatra
Forum King

jph6t,

if you would like to provide a step by step method to reproduce, I will try it on my FLACs, and I could try it on your files as well if you provide links to any.

I know I tried before and failed, but perhaps its b/c I was doing something different, or using different files.

if not, no worries, but it would probably be helpful at this point to be sure we all are doing the same thing, and if we get different results, try to figure out why.

--
Old 18th May 2013, 22:29   #53
MrSinatra
Forum King

jph6t,

thx for the PM. tell me if this is the correct step by step reproduction:

1. take a few FLACs, (copies, test files) scan them into the ML.
2. alt+3 each one, see if the basic and advanced tabs match, and match the ML entry
3. change the basic tab genre value (and apply by hitting "ok")
4. examine them again, see if everything matches
5. change the advanced tab genre value (and apply by hitting "ok")
6. examine them again, see if everything matches

where I am having an issue, is that I can't see anything weird happen. I want to be sure I am doing exactly what you are doing.

also, by any chance are you using the extension for windows explorer that allows it to read FLAC tags? or dbpoweramp?

ps. you can post files at 4shared.com for others to test with.

--

Last edited by MrSinatra; 19th May 2013 at 01:24.
Old 19th May 2013, 15:48   #54
jph6t
Major Dude

Steps To Reproduce

Quote:
tell me if this is the correct step by step reproduction
MrSinatra - I made a few edits (in blue) to your steps below.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE ISSUE:

• set the genre on test FLAC #1 to "Country"
  • set the genre on test FLAC #2 to "Rock"

2. alt+3 each one, see if the basic and advanced tabs match, and match the ML entry
3. alt+3 test FLAC #1 and change the basic tab genre value on test FLAC #1 from "Country" to "Jazz" (and apply by hitting "ok")
4. examine the genre on test FLAC #1 again, see if everything matches
  • for me, the basic and advanced tabs AND the ML will all show "Jazz".
  • everything is correct on test FLAC #1 and as expected.

5. examine the genre on test FLAC #2, see if everything matches
  • for me, the basic tab will show "Jazz", the advanced tab will show "Rock", and the ML will show "Rock".
  • The basic tab on test FLAC #2 is showing whatever genre value was last written to any other FLAC file instead of the value stored in test FLAC #2's ID tags (which can easily be viewed and confirmed on the Advanced tab of test FLAC #2).
Old 19th May 2013, 15:55   #55
jph6t
Major Dude

Reading FLAC Tags

Quote:
also, by any chance are you using the extension for windows explorer that allows it to read FLAC tags? or dbpoweramp?
I have the latest version (v2.55a) of Mp3Tag installed.
Old 19th May 2013, 16:01   #56
jph6t
Major Dude

Test FLAC Files

Quote:
you can post files at 4shared.com for others to test with.
I tried to find some small FLAC files that you could use for testing purposes:

Last edited by jph6t; 19th May 2013 at 18:58.
Old 19th May 2013, 18:36   #57
MrSinatra
Forum King

your second link shows as invalid.

--
Old 19th May 2013, 18:58   #58
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
your second link shows as invalid.
Not sure why it wasn't working.
I uploaded a different file and edited/updated the previous post.

Any luck with my updated steps? Do they make sense? Are you able to replicate the issue now?
Old 19th May 2013, 19:08   #59
MrSinatra
Forum King

I have both your files now.

please clarify below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jph6t View Post
MrSinatra - I made a few edits (in blue) to your steps below.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE ISSUE:

• set the genre on test FLAC #1 to "Country"
  • set the genre on test FLAC #2 to "Rock"
set them that way how? alt+3? via what tab? please specify exactly.

--
Old 19th May 2013, 19:14   #60
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
set them that way how? alt+3? via what tab? please specify exactly.
It shouldn't matter, I've replicated via all means.
But for the sake of standardizing the test, please set via alt+3 and the basic tab.
Old 19th May 2013, 19:34   #61
MrSinatra
Forum King

I can NOT reproduce the result.

it seems utterly bizarre that this happens to you. I'll be interested to see if anyone else can reproduce it. I am using the latest just released beta.

EDIT: just FYI, I have ALL metadata guessing turned off. both when scanned in, directly played, or wherever. do you?

EDIT 2: I would also say that you should try in Bento, as opposed to Big Bento, and you should provide a plugin info list.

--
Old 19th May 2013, 21:30   #62
jph6t
Major Dude

Metadata Guessing

Quote:
EDIT: just FYI, I have ALL metadata guessing turned off. both when scanned in, directly played, or wherever. do you?
Where is this setting?
Do you mean the "Metadata Reading" setting on the "Titles" preferences tab?
Old 19th May 2013, 21:41   #63
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
EDIT 2: I would also say that you should try in Bento, as opposed to Big Bento, and you should provide a plugin info list.
I tried in Bento (vs. Big Bento) and I am still having the same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Egg View Post
Winamp 5.7 Beta, build 3392 (with Winamp Cloud Beta)
* New: Option to run Winamp in Safe Mode (also via /SAFE=1 commandline switch)
I just tried out Winamp 5.7's new Safe Mode.
The FLAC genre issue is NOT present for me when I run my steps in Safe Mode.
Old 19th May 2013, 21:50   #64
DrO

try disabling gen_jumpex.dll (based on it being ok under safe mode).
Old 19th May 2013, 21:57   #65
MrSinatra
Forum King

Quote:
Where is this setting?
Do you mean the "Metadata Reading" setting on the "Titles" preferences tab?
prefs > ML > local library > watch folders

both the button and the folders watched.

there may be other places to do it as well, beyond watched folders tab.

--
Old 19th May 2013, 22:01   #66
jph6t
Major Dude

Disabling A Plug-in

Quote:
try disabling gen_jumpex.dll (based on it being ok under safe mode).
Please forgive the neub question.
Is there a way to temporary disable a single plugin? Or do I just have to un-install it?
If the later, will my settings/preferences be lost when I re-install?
Old 19th May 2013, 22:03   #67
DrO

rename it to gen_jumpex.off. and no, settings will not be lost.
Old 19th May 2013, 22:13   #68
jph6t
Major Dude

Quote:
rename it to gen_jumpex.off. and no, settings will not be lost.
I renamed to gen_jumpex.OFF.dll and it still loaded (JTFE functionality was available in Winamp and working).
I renamed to gen_jumpex.dll_OFF and it still loaded (JTFE functionality was available in Winamp and working).

So then I just temporarily moved gen_jumpex.dll to another folder and relaunched Winamp. Then it didn't load.

I retested the FLAC genre issue without gen_jumpex enabled and I was able to reproduce the issue.
Old 19th May 2013, 22:16   #69
MrSinatra
Forum King

this is fascinating. safe mode is already paying dividends.

it seems to me, that you have a plugin and a setting in it, that is causing the issue. apparently that plugin is not jtfe.

so, as I've said from the beginning now, it seems that posting your plugin info tools list would be a good idea.

EDIT: I am not completely surprised the first renamed dll worked, but the 2nd shouldn't of! that's really weird.

--
Old 20th May 2013, 15:43   #70
DrO

Quote:
I renamed to gen_jumpex.OFF.dll and it still loaded (JTFE functionality was available in Winamp and working).
I renamed to gen_jumpex.dll_OFF and it still loaded (JTFE functionality was available in Winamp and working).
it's a quirk of how files are matched. renaming to just gen_jumpex.off (not .dll on there) would have worked.

http://forums.winamp.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=345 might be of interest with this issue and since most of the functionality is in Winamp now (in the recent 5.7 betas so i can kill off another plug-in), it might be applicable in this case maybe? either way the plug-in will be force removed by the 5.7 installer.
Old 20th May 2013, 17:15   #71
DrO

issue confirmed as due to my deprecated gen_os_diag.dll plug-in.

solution is to remove the plug-in or allow the Winamp 5.7 (and later) installers to remove it.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports