Old 27th January 2002, 10:16   #1
ClintJCL

general instability

I would like to post a general complaint about general instability with winamp.

I have been playing mp3s for several years now, and have always had problems with winamp. I've migrated across many OSes, hardware platforms, completely new computers.

I have a collection of about 52G of mp3s about 80% of which is in my preferred playlist; and yet no version of winamp I know of will run more than 24 hours, except 2.64. We're up to 2.78 now. I've tried EVERY one since 2.64. None stand the test.

I even figured out that mp3s with id3v2 tags longer than 63 (!) bytes crashed winamp. This was only fixed as of 2.748.

I usually listen on random. And I'm not always in the room, it just runs 24/7. I don't necessarily know when it's crashing and I would like to.

I want a plugin that will log the songs winamp is playing BEFORE loading them (cause of any potential crash), so that I can figure out if it is a specific mp3 or set of mp3s causing the crash.

I want to be a beta tester for new versions so I can help bring about a superior version that doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

I want to do something, anything, to fix this. It's been plaguing me for too long. It seems as soon as id3v2 support was added, WINAMP WAS NEVER AS STABLE AS IT WAS AGAIN. This is unfortunate as I've become rather addicted to it's plugins and absolutely cannot switch players.

So I'm stuck with winamp 2.64 which doesn't support id3v2 tags. I have to id3v1 AND id3v2 tag all my mp3s (If I could use the most current winamp I'd just id3v2 tag them!). I'm stuck having to not see the full song name due to the id3v1 field limits.

Can someone please make the hurting stop??
Old 27th January 2002, 10:37   #2
peter
ist death

Quote:
I even figured out that mp3s with id3v2 tags longer than 63 (!) bytes crashed winamp. This was only fixed as of 2.748.
can't reproduce. are you using any third-party mp3 decoder plugins ? what did you use to tag your mp3s ? do you have any third-party plugins installed ?
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2002, 11:45   #3
ClintJCL

hmmm

Quote:
can't reproduce. are you using any third-party mp3 decoder plugins ? what did you use to tag your mp3s ? do you have any third-party plugins installed ?
Generally I just go with the flow for decoder. Standard stuff. There's a lot of stuff in there though:

Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder 2.76g69
Microsoft WINAMP/WMA Plugin 1.11
Mjuice Secure MP3 Decoder
Nullsoft waveform decoder v2.0a
Nullsoft cd/line-in plug-in
Nullsoft Module decoder v2.2.10beta1
Winamp2 MIDI plug-in v2.63
Tara Audio Video Plugin For Winamp Versoin 1.0.3b (installed an hour ago.. so probably not part of the problem)

I just installed in_tara to play some AVIs, however I've had various instability through the years regardless of its presence

I also just installed DFX dsp plugin tonite, and recently installed TomSteady Audio Filter to normalize volume.

And I have Winamp Hotkeys in general purpose and xdev software playing time counter plugin (just counts how many songs have been played).

I used Tag&Rename to tag my mp3s. It generally does not limit the field length of any id3v2 tags. I would fill in all tags for id3v1 *AND* id3v2 since I am never sure which version I will be using (the ultra-stable 2.64 that never crashes for days and days and days doesn't support id3v2).

I suppose if there was just a plugin for winamp 2.64 that added id3v2 support then I might be set for life!!!!!
Old 27th January 2002, 11:49   #4
peter
ist death

does the crash occur when you tag your files with Winamp ?
Old 27th January 2002, 13:48   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

System Specs?
CPU, RAM, motherboard, soundcard, videocard, Windows OS, DirectX version.
(Okay, I know you said you've experienced problems under different systems, but are there possibly any common denominators?)

Also, are there any error messages with these crashes?
If so, full details please!

Remove all General Purpose plugins & try again.
Remove any other 3rd-party plugins (DSP, etc)
There's a good chance these are NOT compatible with newer versions of Winamp.
Check author's sites for new updated versions.

btw, this is NOT a Winamp bug, otherwise we'd all be having problems.
Not the case my friend

It might be a bit of a daunting task having to rewrite all your ID3 tags with Winamp ID3 Editor (Alt+3), but I recommend you select some MP3's (20 or so), create a new playlist with them, then rewrite the tags (in latest 2.78) and then see if the crashes still occur.

You could also test your MP3's for errors with MP3Utility

Of course it would be more helpful if you knew which of your MP3's were possibly to blame, if indeed this is even the root of the problem at all.

Further help/tips:

Troubleshooter Guides:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....827#post275827
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....166#post308166

Basic Uninstall -> Reinstall procedure:
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=50818

After reinstall, try this patch:
Winamp 2 Update
(Updates both out_wave & out_ds plugins to peter's (PP) versions, also updates in_midi.dll & in_wave.dll to new pre v2.79 versions)

Further details: (READ THIS FIRST)
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=68811

DJ Egg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2002, 22:33   #6
GimieGimieGimie

Send a message via ICQ to GimieGimieGimie Send a message via AIM to GimieGimieGimie Send a message via Yahoo to GimieGimieGimie
Re: general instability

Quote:
Originally posted by ClintJCL
I would like to post a general complaint about general instability with winamp.

I have been playing mp3s for several years now, and have always had problems with winamp. I've migrated across many OSes, hardware platforms, completely new computers.

I have a collection of about 52G of mp3s about 80% of which is in my preferred playlist; and yet no version of winamp I know of will run more than 24 hours, except 2.64. We're up to 2.78 now. I've tried EVERY one since 2.64. None stand the test.

I usually listen on random. And I'm not always in the room, it just runs 24/7. I don't necessarily know when it's crashing and I would like to.

I want a plugin that will log the songs winamp is playing BEFORE loading them (cause of any potential crash), so that I can figure out if it is a specific mp3 or set of mp3s causing the crash.

I want to be a beta tester for new versions so I can help bring about a superior version that doesn't exhibit this behaviour.

I want to do something, anything, to fix this. It's been plaguing me for too long. It seems as soon as id3v2 support was added, WINAMP WAS NEVER AS STABLE AS IT WAS AGAIN. This is unfortunate as I've become rather addicted to it's plugins and absolutely cannot switch players.

So I'm stuck with winamp 2.64 which doesn't support id3v2 tags. I have to id3v1 AND id3v2 tag all my mp3s (If I could use the most current winamp I'd just id3v2 tag them!). I'm stuck having to not see the full song name due to the id3v1 field limits.

Can someone please make the hurting stop??
Exactly my problem! Exactly my pain too! Exactly what i want to know!

I'm stuck on 2.65, and i'm rather pissed off now.

Winamp up to 2.77 worked fine on my last config, that was with Windows 98, when i installed 2.78 and 2.78c there were a *few* crashs, but not enough to moan about.

Now i'm on Windows XP, and from Winamp 2.666 and upwards, Winamp simply crashs all the time, totally useless, tried all fixes and patchs, still nothing.

I believe there's a bug in the coding, nothing to do with plug-ins.

According to my error report, in_mp3.dll is the culprit. This problem is very very complex and hard to talk about.

My system specs:

Pentium 3 - 500mhz
384MB Ram
Aureal Vortex 2 Soundcard - (Latest drivers, fixes and patchs)
Matrox G400 Graphics card
Windows XP Professional

Why any more specs would be needed is beyound me, i think the amount of information for a bug report is insane and put me off from posting here for a while, now i'm just fed up.

I've done alot of testing, trying to fix the problem, i've been to Winamp heaven to get comments and grab alot of versions there, there i noticed that the owner stated Winamp 2.65 was the most stable version of Winamp to use on a Windows 2000 envoriment, and he was dead right.

I tired Winamp 2.666, crashed, 2.70 , crashed, 2.71, crashed, and etc... etc...

There is no pattern to the crashing, Winamp crashs when ever it feels like it, but it does seem to do it alot while within Games, and memory hungry programs such as Grokster.

Since in_mp3.dll was in doubt, i copied the in_mp3.dll from 2.65 plug-ins folder to 2.78c's plug-in folder, it worked flawlessly, problem is, i just had 2.65 with a few extra options and not the ID3 tag i wanted , dang, i tried .

So there's something certainly wrong with in_mp3.dll thats causing Winamp to crash, nothing else, check it out code for code guys, you don't need a detailed report really, you need to strip this fucker to the bone.

Hopefully one day, you guys will notice there is something seriously wrong with in_mp3.dll and you will get something done about it, because it's taken WAY TOO LONG.

Gimie
GimieGimieGimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2002, 22:40   #7
peter
ist death

could you give us some sample of your mp3 files that crash in_mp3 ? what did you use to tag them ?
Old 27th January 2002, 22:42   #8
GimieGimieGimie

Send a message via ICQ to GimieGimieGimie Send a message via AIM to GimieGimieGimie Send a message via Yahoo to GimieGimieGimie
Don't understand?

Quote:
Originally posted by peter
could you give us some sample of your mp3 files that crash in_mp3 ?
All of them crash.

I'm getting a print screen of a crash as we speak, so hold on

BTW - I have the latest Windows XP patchs and fixes, so i'm quite up to date.

Gimie
Old 27th January 2002, 22:45   #9
GimieGimieGimie

Sorry

But that question means more then one thing to me, please define.
Old 27th January 2002, 22:46   #10
peter
ist death

all of them, eh ? they are all id3v2-tagged, i assume. what happens when you try to play a freshly-encoded, id3tag-free mp3 ? does demo.mp3 from winamp directory work right ?
Old 27th January 2002, 22:48   #11
Wish
Major Dude

What encoder was used to encoder these mp3s? Do they have ID3V2 tags? Use Encspot to determine the encoder.

http://www.guerillasoft.com/encspot
Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2002, 22:49   #12
GimieGimieGimie

OK

One thing at a time, rather tired, mean time, here's the crash i speak of.

It may mean nothing, but this is what got me thinking about in_mp3.dll being the problem.

Only took 20 seconds
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winamp crash.jpg (13.6 KB, 202 views)
Old 27th January 2002, 22:53   #13
Wish
Major Dude

Thats not good enough for an error report. Go to X:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Dr Watson where X=drive letter, zip up the .log file there and attach it to the forum.
Old 27th January 2002, 23:01   #14
GimieGimieGimie

Very very interesting

Well i've cut and pasted the information from Dr. watson's log that involves Winamp.

Very very interesting reading, i've edited some private information, but everything else is unchanged.

Report enclosed.

Also, most of my mp3z don't have ID3v2 tags, since they usally don't have them, or i delete it, i didn't know the difference between ID3v1 and v2, so i keep v1 just to be safe.

Most my mp3z check out fine with Encspot.

Gimie
Attached Files
File Type: txt winamp crash report.txt (42.1 KB, 196 views)
Old 27th January 2002, 23:05   #15
peter
ist death

hmm nice crashlog, but you should read our suggestions above first. what did you use to make these files ? does demo.mp3 from winamp directory play fine ? can you give us some sample of those mp3 files ?
Old 27th January 2002, 23:05   #16
Wish
Major Dude

Can you take a screenshot of Encspot with your mp3s? Giving us more info can help a lot.
Old 27th January 2002, 23:16   #17
GimieGimieGimie

Hmmm

Quote:
hmm nice crashlog, but you should read our suggestions above first. what did you use to make these files ? does demo.mp3 from winamp directory play fine ? can you give us some sample of those mp3 files ?
I'm currently keeping demo.mp3 on continual repeat and opening my games and heavy memory eating programs. Nothing so far.

Maybe it is the encoders, but its a shame v2.65 doesn't care, but 2.7x does.

And like most people, i don't make my mp3z, i download them. Most files have to be resumed during download, would this corrupt them and make the *new* winamp crash?

All my mp3z have lots of different encoders, but all of them on general are made with Xing (new) and FhG (all versions) and some are Lame (3.80+). And there are a few blades.

I suppose the guy who original complained was right, that the arriveal of the new ID3_v2 caused the problems, dispite being one of the greated updates and the main reason i want 2.78c to work. (I like the style)

Gimie
Old 27th January 2002, 23:21   #18
Wish
Major Dude

Well, would you get MP3Utility?

http://www.geocities.com/mp3utility

Run it, select Test Directory and point it to your mp3 folders and press Start. See how many corrupted mp3s you have. Play 1 of those corrupted ones and see if it crashes, if not, repeat until you find 1 which does, select Test File in MP3Utility, click Start to test it, make a screenshot of MP3utility and attach it here.
Old 27th January 2002, 23:22   #19
peter
ist death

may we see some of your mp3 files so we can verify if they crash on our systems too ? you can drop me a mailbomb at peterpw666@hotmail.com (make sure that it's no bigger than 1 meg)
Old 27th January 2002, 23:23   #20
GimieGimieGimie

OK

Quote:
Originally posted by Wish
Well, would you get MP3Utility?

http://www.geocities.com/mp3utility

Run it, select Test Directory and point it to your mp3 folders and press Start. See how many corrupted mp3s you have. Play 1 of those corrupted ones and see if it crashes, if not, repeat until you find 1 which does, select Test File in MP3Utility, click Start to test it, make a screenshot of MP3utility and attach it here.
Doing now...
Old 27th January 2002, 23:31   #21
GimieGimieGimie

OK interesting indeed.

Well, out of my 22 of my newest Mp3z that i have been listening to over the past few days, thus the ones that have been crashing, only 2 were reported with errors. OK thats fine, but problem is, the 2 files reported Winamp has *Hardly Ever* crashed with, strange huh?

Same with an album i've been listening to, i know 100% that Winamp crashs when playing them, yet tested the files, all come out with NO errors, all fine.

Btw, tested 2 files that were reported with errors, both played fine if i kept the Winamp program untouched and the harddrive idle, but once calling Winamps main windows up, winamp crashed like normal.

Still need a screenshot?

Gimie
Old 27th January 2002, 23:34   #22
peter
ist death

Quote:
may we see some of your mp3 files so we can verify if they crash on our systems too ? you can drop me a mailbomb at peterpw666@hotmail.com (make sure that it's no bigger than 1 meg)

[edit]
btw,
(0000000001640000 - 000000000164e000: C:\Program Files\TrueLaunchBar\tlbhook.dll
wtf is this ?
Old 27th January 2002, 23:35   #23
GimieGimieGimie

:(

Quote:
Hmmmm, sorry there m8, all my files are over the 2mb mark at least, e-mail is out of the question i think, ICQ?

BTW - I am on 56k, so be abit slow

Thx for your input guys.

Gimie
Old 27th January 2002, 23:37   #24
peter
ist death

i'm on 56k too.
did you get my edit above ?
Old 27th January 2002, 23:40   #25
GimieGimieGimie

LoL!

Quote:

[edit]
btw,
(0000000001640000 - 000000000164e000: C:\Program Files\TrueLaunchBar\tlbhook.dll
wtf is this ?
A "Quick Launch Bar" replacement, really really great shit.

http://www.tsoftcentral.com/tlb/

I don't think thats the problem tho, Winamp crashed way before i started using that :P. And Winamp 2.65 works with no problem with it.

Ok, one of the mp3z that was reported with an error that made Winamp crash is totally fucked i've noticed, the birate doesn't stay still, *deleted* it, but this still don't explain why the same crash happens to my other songs.

*Update*! Ok, this is fucked up shit, (mind the swearing) Winamp 2.65 reports the song as 192KPS, while Winamp 2.78c reports it as corrupt and random, whats up with that? BTW - The song does NOT crash with 2.65.

Maybe more then 1 problem at hand?

Gimie
Old 27th January 2002, 23:46   #26
peter
ist death

that mp3 you mentioned (the first one that is) was a VBR one, DEFINITELY not a source of problems (we have plenty of them).
also, this might be somehow caused by your p3 cpu, those things used to make big pain in my ass before. try mailbombing me at [EDITED - spam sucks] (no more filesize limit, but again - make it as small as possible).
Old 27th January 2002, 23:46   #27
Wish
Major Dude

You know what to do, load it in MP3Utility, test it, make a screenshot of this particular MP3.
Old 27th January 2002, 23:47   #28
GimieGimieGimie

Maybe from Winamp 2.65 and up you made Winamp more tempormental of corrupt files guys, because 2.65 really doesn't mind and plays them no problem.

Still doesn't make sence, files given the green light in encspot still crash.

BTW - Getting really late here, so i'll be going bed soon.

Gimie
Old 27th January 2002, 23:53   #29
GimieGimieGimie

Quote:
that mp3 you mentioned (the first one that is) was a VBR one, DEFINITELY not a source of problems (we have plenty of them).
also, this might be somehow caused by your p3 cpu, those things used to make big pain in my ass before. try mailbombing me at [EDITED - spam sucks] (no more filesize limit, but again - make it as small as possible).
Ah, what does VBR mean?

You guys seem to be saying different things about this file, whats up?

As for my p3 cpu, could XP be bringing up the old problems you ironed out before?

Mailbombing? Whats this mean? Just sending you a file?

Also, screenshot attacted of file tested:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg file scanned.jpg (66.7 KB, 174 views)
Old 27th January 2002, 23:54   #30
peter
ist death

encspot's green light is for quality, not for problems. send me one of those mp3s, otherwise there's no way i can verify what's going on.
Old 27th January 2002, 23:56   #31
GimieGimieGimie

Oh right

Quote:
encspot's green light is for quality, not for problems.
BTW, we getting anywhere with whats going on?

Gimie
Old 27th January 2002, 23:56   #32
Wish
Major Dude

Thats not true, the new decoder is very good when it comes to corrupt file. I know, because I beta tested 2.666's decoder and WA2.70 and there were many complaints about the beta decoders crashing which was fixed. Could you go to in_mp3's config screen, click decoder, and check whether crc checking is enabled? If it is, TURN IT OFF. This might fix your problem, if it isn't then I really have no idea.
Old 27th January 2002, 23:59   #33
peter
ist death

also, did it crash at all with demo.mp3 ?
Old 28th January 2002, 00:01   #34
GimieGimieGimie

Nope

Quote:
Originally posted by Wish
Thats not true, the new decoder is very good when it comes to corrupt file. I know, because I beta tested 2.666's decoder and WA2.70 and there were many complaints about the beta decoders crashing which was fixed. Could you go to in_mp3's config screen, click decoder, and check whether crc checking is enabled? If it is, TURN IT OFF. This might fix your problem, if it isn't then I really have no idea.
Nah, it wasn't ticked, but i will play about with this config now, see what i can get out of it and report back.

No demo.mp3 played fine all the time.

Gimie
Old 28th January 2002, 00:05   #35
peter
ist death

what did you use to dowload them ? if you rip some mp3 from a cd yourself, does it play ok ?
Old 28th January 2002, 00:08   #36
GimieGimieGimie

Well, all the mp3z have been downloaded through a whole lot of different resources.

Websites,
Napster,
Kazaa,
Grokster.

I'm testing CD ripped mp3z now.
Old 28th January 2002, 00:13   #37
peter
ist death

offtopic: did you install this ?
Old 28th January 2002, 00:15   #38
GimieGimieGimie

Amazing

No, amazing, Winamp 2.78c STILL crashed when playing ripped from CD mp3z.

Each mp3 was ripped by me with MusicMatch, they had no tags what so ever, but Winamp still crashed.

I did notice that Winamp crashed when i refreshed my IE, (another memory hungry and processer taking app).

I see a pattern there myself.

Gimie
Old 28th January 2002, 00:16   #39
GimieGimieGimie

Yep

Quote:
offtopic: did you install this ?
Tried these, made no difference what so ever. Thats what made me come to the conclusion that in_mp3.dll was the problem at hand.
Old 28th January 2002, 00:19   #40
peter
ist death

rip with cdex maybe ?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support