Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 23rd November 2013, 17:06   #1
Sista K

Drag&Drop to Local Library and delete from playlist window are gone ?

Hi,

I updated today from v5.61 to 5.66, stocking up before the apocalypse and realized that some things are not possible anymore with this update :
  1. I used to add files to the local library by dragging them from Windows Explorer and dropping them to the main window (#1) (with local library view selected). Now, they are not added to the library anymore when doing this. To add them successfully, I must drop the file into the "Local library" field on the left side panel (#2).

2. When a playlist is selected in the left panel, and is subsequently displayed in the main window, the "Del." keyboard doesn't remove the selected elements from the playlist ! I have to right click and select "Remove selected elements" in the dropdown menu.

Why can't I drop files in the main window anymore to add them to my media library, and why does the playlist main window not respond anymore to native keyboard shortcuts ?

Is this something I can modify myself, or will it be fixed before the End ?
Thanks !
Sista K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 18:28   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

Hi

First, please could you confirm if these problems also exist when using the default English lang instead of the French Lang Pack.

If it's just with the French Lang Pack, then the pack will need fixing (I can probably do that).

If it also happens with the default English lang (note that I can't reproduce any of these issues), then it's possibly a permissions-related issue, or Winamp is being run in Admin/Compatibility mode, or some badly-behaving 3rd-party plugin is to blame.

Please attach your Info Tool log
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....161361#plugins
DJ Egg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2013, 19:37   #3
Sista K

Hi,

thanks for the quick reply !

I installed the English pack version, and both these issues are indeed fixed.

I then rolled back to the French lang and both problems were back, solved again when installing the English lang, so it's definitely a lang pack issue.

I'll leave it that way, because I'm perfectly fine with either language packs, I just didn't change the default language (French) suggested on the download page.

So it's solved for me, but it might not be for other French speaking people.

Thanks for your help, take care
Old 25th November 2013, 12:50   #4
DrO

if it's just a language pack issue, then that can be fixed irrespective of what's happening with Winamp (and is most likely not having the correct resources updated for things as the French pack hasn't been properly updated in a while - only small updates which is why it's flakey).
DrO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 15:21   #5
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

@Sista K

Please could you confirm that you are using the French lang pack from 5.66 and not some older version of the French lang pack.

I've tried to reproduce the problem, but drag+drop seems to be working ok for me with 5.66 fr-wlz

As for the 'Delete' key issue in ml_playlists, yes, we've reproduced that problem,
and it will be fixed in the soon-coming update patch.
The entire accelator list was missing from the playlist item right-click menu...
Old 25th November 2013, 16:36   #6
Sista K

DJ Egg,

We might not be talking about the same things... When I was talking about the "French pack", I was referring to the default language suggested on the Winamp download page (http://www.winamp.com/media-player/fr), linking to the "winamp566_full_fr-fr.exe" setup file (which is giving drag&drop errors in the main window in Local library view, as in the 1st screencap of my original post), as opposed to the "winamp566_full_en-us.exe" setup file (by selecting English, redirecting to http://www.winamp.com/media-player/en) which is NOT causing drag&drop errors.

I haven't installed/updated anything besides that.
Old 25th November 2013, 16:42   #7
DrO

we're talking about the same thing, you've just helped to confirm it.

the drag and drop issue is still not reproducible but like mentions, the delete issue has been but there's still a few hours left to try to replicate the drag and drop issue (though i've not succeeded so far).
Old 26th November 2013, 15:08   #8
Sista K

Ok great then !

If it helps, I've attached my InfoTool log
Attached Files
File Type: txt Winamp_Info_Report_26.11.2013.txt (25.9 KB, 235 views)
Old 26th November 2013, 15:10   #9
DrO

i assume you've not seen the patch 5.666 release (build 3510) and would suggest giving that a go.
Old 27th November 2013, 23:35   #10
smartn

Hi there,

using the German language pack also causes the problem that I can't add files from an explorer window to the winamp media library by simply using drag & drop. (winamp 5.666; windows xp, sp3)

best,
smartn
smartn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 00:16   #11
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartn View Post
Hi there,

using the German language pack also causes the problem that I can't add files from an explorer window to the winamp media library by simply using drag & drop. (winamp 5.666; windows xp, sp3)

best,
smartn
I can sadly reproduce it, if you drag a file from explorer to library, you see the drag and drop icon, but nothing happens. If you do the same in English, you can see the 'add files' popping up shortly and the file will be added.

[Edit]If you drag it directly to the root tree entry (Lokale Medien) it works

[Edit 2] found the reason for it, I fucked it up, it's a bug in my ml_local.lng sorry
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2013, 02:01   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & Shoutcast Team

The French (and Spanish) lang packs have also been updated (same link as in Koopa's post).
Old 28th November 2013, 06:15   #14
smartn

Thank you very much, Koopa, for the quick response!
Only one minor issue: Following the link you provided, the upper link to the German version is broken - but the one in the attachement-box works.

Best regards,
smartn
smartn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2013, 20:35   #15
Sista K

Hi guys,

sorry for the delay...

I just installed the 5.666 French version, and the drag&drop bug is still there for me, so I switched to the 5.666 English one where it's fine.

However, I found a new issue present even in the English 5.66 and 5.666 version French & English: when the main window is displaying a playlist, and several tracks are selected, MAJ+ENTER does not enqueue them to the current playlist but instead enqueues the WHOLE playlist. It is however working fine when in local library view.
Old 1st December 2013, 20:51   #16
DrO

you have to install the manual update for the french language pack as there is no new installer after 3512 to include any updates.

and with the other issue, it's already noted in the main bug reports thread.
Old 1st December 2013, 21:38   #17
Sista K

Thanks DrO, I didn't know it was a manual update. Works fine in French now, no more drag&drop issue.

About the other issue (and all the other listed in the main bug reports thread I guess), will they ever be fixed ?

And by the way thank you all for your hard work on Winamp, it's much appreciated and I hope it will somehow keep on evolving, one way or another...
Old 2nd December 2013, 05:55   #18
Aminifu
Forum King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sista K View Post
However, I found a new issue present even in the English 5.66 and 5.666 version French & English: when the main window is displaying a playlist, and several tracks are selected, MAJ+ENTER does not enqueue them to the current playlist but instead enqueues the WHOLE playlist. It is however working fine when in local library view.
Check the 1st check box option on the General Preferences - Media Library - Options tab. Disable it, if enabled.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2013, 19:35   #19
Sista K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Check the 1st check box option on the General Preferences - Media Library - Options tab. Disable it, if enabled.
Aminifu,

just to clarify because I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing: this option is enabled on my Winamp, because when I double click an item or tap enter (wether the item is in a playlist or in local library) I want Winamp to add all the items of the list/local library, and start playing with the one I selected.

However, when I press MAJ+ENTER after having selected multiple items of a playlist, I expect Winamp to simply enqueue those selected in the current playlist and not adding the whole playlist. Just like it used to do on the previous version I had.
Now to get Winamp to do this, I have to use the mouse and drag the selected items over to the current playlist view on the right side (Big Bento skin), because even the right-click on selected items and "enqueue" doesn't work either and produces the same result.

Old 2nd December 2013, 20:01   #20
DrO

it's because ml_playlists.dll is incorrectly processing the menu items as though they are the same as a double-click / enter event. that's why it's not working correctly.

how you're working around it and what's been suggested are ways around what i managed to break (when the menu is treated like enter / double-click). fixing it natively is simple, but we're now in a situation where i have no guarantee even if i fix it that the fix will be made available and so will likely need to look into a 'patch' plug-in to try to resolve the issue.
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:42   #21
Sista K

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrO View Post
fixing it natively is simple, but we're now in a situation where i have no guarantee even if i fix it that the fix will be made available and so will likely need to look into a 'patch' plug-in to try to resolve the issue.
Because it's already all shut down and no further update will be made until Dec. 20th ?
Old 2nd December 2013, 21:49   #22
DrO

build 3507 was meant to be the 'final' build and we've already had to do two 'patch' builds since which has caused a number of people to think it's just a great big joke and Winamp is not being stopped. that is why i'm hesitant about trying to do any further patch updates as it means there's less time for those who have already gotten the 5.66x builds to not see there was another 'patch' build (and just gains more ridicule about the state of the Winamp software).

so that's what i mean and whether it ends up being able to be fixed in a build 3513 (or something like that) or a specific 'waupdate.exe' patch or just done as a patch wrapper plug-in i don't know (as all of this is generally out of my hands anyway even if i've still the means to fix things i broke whilst rushing to do the 5.66x release).
Old 2nd December 2013, 22:00   #23
Sista K

Quote:
build 3507 was meant to be the 'final' build and we've already had to do two 'patch' builds since which has caused a number of people to think it's just a great big joke and Winamp is not being stopped. that is why i'm hesitant about trying to do any further patch updates as it means there's less time for those who have already gotten the 5.66x builds to not see there was another 'patch' build (and just gains more ridicule about the state of the Winamp software).
Well, the way I see it is that if you do a further patch update, those who want something fixed will be glad for it, and for those who won't see it then it won't matter to them. If they realize it later (later than Dec 20th), I'm sure that patch update will be widely available on many mirrors.
For those who believe it's just a big joke... I guess they'll realize soon enough that it wasn't..!

So I guess I'm not really seeing the point of not doing at least one last patch update. It doesn't have to be right now, maybe wait until a maximum of issues can be solved, and then release that final patch update ?
Old 3rd December 2013, 01:49   #24
ryerman
Major Dude

Yeah, what Sista K said. I agree.

Windows 10 Home, 64 bit, Winamp 5.666, Bento Skin
ryerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:00   #25
Aminifu
Forum King

Part of why the 2 updates were made is because people found stuff that was causing Winamp to crash. Less major fixes were rolled in with them. It may take another major crash issue to get another update before the 20th, but I kinda hope nobody finds one. After the 20th, it's possible that some things can be done with plug-ins.

I understand Sista K's issue is an inconvenience for her (and others have posted about this) based on how things were working, but it's not a show stopper, imo. There are other (more time consuming) ways to accomplish the end result.

It seems to be Winamp's fate to 'take 2 steps forward and 1 back'. Let's not let perfect be the enemy of good. A lot of good is in this final AOL sponsored release. I too have an issue that could have been 'fixed', but didn't make it into the final. I share the disappointment over some things, but overall Winamp usually provides an alternate way to do stuff that I can adapt to over time, that still beats the other media players.

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Quinto Black CT v3.6 skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v21H2 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2013, 16:43   #26
DrO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sista K View Post
So I guess I'm not really seeing the point of not doing at least one last patch update. It doesn't have to be right now, maybe wait until a maximum of issues can be solved, and then release that final patch update ?
it looks like we will be able to do one more patch build (probably later next week) as the language pack issues and a few other core crashes which have been identified were enough to get agreement that we can do another patch build. not sure what will end up being fixed as part of it but will see what i can do in the time i have along with my other duties *fun*
Old 3rd December 2013, 18:57   #27
Sista K

Quote:
I understand Sista K's issue is an inconvenience for her (and others have posted about this) based on how things were working, but it's not a show stopper, imo. There are other (more time consuming) ways to accomplish the end result.
Quote:
I share the disappointment over some things, but overall Winamp usually provides an alternate way to do stuff that I can adapt to over time, that still beats the other media players.
Whether my issue gets fixed or not, I will keep using Winamp as I've been using it almost since the beginning, because it's doing everything I want from a media player, and how I want it.

However, this issue is for me one of Winamp basic's functions, not part of all the "extra stuff". It was working fine previously, and I expect it to work it fine now in exactly the same easy way without all the extra hassle in this new better version. But with that being said, if it doesn't get fixed, I'll just roll back to the previous version I had, because this new version didn't bring indispensable new functions for me. The previous version (I think I was on 5.2x or 5.3x, can't really remember) was enough for what I want Winamp to do, so it absolutely won't be the end of the world for me.

Quote:
not sure what will end up being fixed as part of it but will see what i can do in the time i have along with my other duties *fun*
Of course if there are no new updates because of time constraints I think everybody will understand it (or at least they should !). My point of a last update was in regards to the previous reasons you stated that made you hesitate to do it. Thank you again for all your hard work, et bon courage !

By the way (and while it's possibly still available), is there somewhere an "official" site / part of this site that lists and makes available older versions of Winamp ?
Old 3rd December 2013, 19:52   #28
DrO

i'd had time to think over my prior view and with what i've seen from the crash reports which can be fixed and internal decisions, i'm as happy as i can be and if people think we're taking the piss in all of the sub-builds then so be it but it's about trying to leave things in as best a state as possible and isn't like we've not done re-builds after most releases to catch anything obvious reported.

we don't provide old versions on the download server, that's the realm for old version sites.
Old 3rd December 2013, 22:19   #29
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
I like the fact that you have put out newer builds since the news, and if you see fit too, I hope you will continue to do so up until the last day, and beyond!

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support