Old 26th September 2005, 20:01   #1
redi jedi
Will code for food

Sweet

i figured out how to send q1-q8(after the wave1 per-point) back to the preset per-frame/per-pixel sections
i'm gonna add new vars w1-w8 that will act just like the q vars but they are set to the value of the q vars after the per point code. this will also give us more vars to pass from preset code to wave/shape code and will be fully backwards compatible with all presets.

i also am increasing the max user vars, 30 just doesnt cut it

so..um.. well ya. milk on!

Blah!
redi jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2005, 21:38   #2
redi jedi
Will code for food

ok here we go, w1-w8 return q1-q8 after wave1 per-frame/point code. 10 extra user_vars.
just drop it in your winamp/plugins folder, does'nt overwrite orig MD

Blah!

Last edited by redi jedi; 26th September 2005 at 23:46.
Old 26th September 2005, 21:42   #3
redi jedi
Will code for food

ok here we go, w1-w8 return q1-q8 after wave1 per-frame/point code. 10 extra user_vars.
just drop it in your winamp/plugins folder, does'nt overwrite orig MD

its to big for one post so i broke it up
Attached Files
File Type: rar vis_milkbeta.part1.rar (97.7 KB, 254 views)

Blah!
Old 26th September 2005, 21:44   #4
redi jedi
Will code for food

part 2
Attached Files
File Type: rar vis_milkbeta.part2.rar (97.7 KB, 233 views)

Blah!
Old 26th September 2005, 21:47   #5
redi jedi
Will code for food

part3
Attached Files
File Type: rar vis_milkbeta.part3.rar (20.7 KB, 223 views)

Blah!
Old 27th September 2005, 02:22   #6
redi jedi
Will code for food

d/l all three and put in same dir, then open part 1, and extract to winamp\plugins

Blah!
Old 27th September 2005, 05:01   #7
Phat
Major Dude

rock!
Phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 05:10   #8
redi jedi
Will code for food

Blah!
Old 27th September 2005, 12:34   #9
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Cool.

I have uploaded it here

http://www.milkdrop.co.uk/beta/vis_milkbeta.dll

to make it easier for peoplet to download.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2005, 17:30   #10
redi jedi
Will code for food

thanks rova.
btw now i'm working on making it so you can use all the menu items for waves in the perframe and per point code. being able to edit samples on the fly will be cool, oh and enabled wont be included(as once the wave is disabled, it makes it kinda hard for it to turn itself back on) but i could prolly put that in the preset per frame, if anyone thinks that would be usefull(may save some fps)

Blah!
Old 27th September 2005, 21:38   #11
Phat
Major Dude

YAY!
Old 28th September 2005, 20:20   #12
redi jedi
Will code for food

ya know, i had the HARDEST time finding that damn X button in VisualStudio 6, but i finaly did!
anyway, made some presets for MDbeta, using Eos's frequency analysis, i used the w1-w8 vars i added to md to bring her bands analysis back to the perframe code, then i adapted my Beatdection to work with the new values.
also used her glowsticks waves for renders, and one of phats borders, anyway, you'll see....
i'm pretty happy with the way it works, the beats seem like there more in phase, i also put in my template w/eos's frequency code+my modded beatcode, incase someone wants to play with it, see how it works
Attached Files
File Type: rar milkdropbetapresets.rar (29.3 KB, 231 views)

Blah!
Old 28th September 2005, 22:20   #13
someusername

I haven't downloaded it yet but it sounds cool. Great job dude. However i think we should wait for a while before we all start writing presets for it (until it's "officially" available for download)
someusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2005, 23:52   #14
Phat
Major Dude

"However i think we should wait for a while before we all start writing presets for it (until it's "officially" available for download)"

If by that you mean bundled with winamp, that would most likey take years.

Me and Eo.s just haven't had a chance to touch it yet.
Old 29th September 2005, 01:18   #15
redi jedi
Will code for food

i just wrote those to show the new function, dont really plan on making any more (takes away from programing time )

still working on the shape texture(stays from last preset change).
i came up with another idea - having a var in the shape/preset code, that defines wither or not to update the texture, like say;
if(q1(just for example)=1)
shape_tex = lastframe_tex;

that way, we could do on beat changes of the texture or whatever we want. mabye even the same thing for the echo(dunno) if i can figure out how to use dx8, i might beable to add diffrent blending options, like VIS.

Blah!
Old 29th September 2005, 01:33   #16
Phat
Major Dude

more options = cool
Old 29th September 2005, 05:00   #17
redi jedi
Will code for food

if anyone has ANY ideas/wants(i'm running low) for new features please post them or e-mail me
the_good_sir_robin@yahoo.com

Blah!
Old 29th September 2005, 06:38   #18
StudioMusic
Major Dude

Redi, this might be something you might be able to try, but something I have always wanted in milk. To have a counter show up for winamp volume when you are in fullscreen (you know the up and down arrow. If this seems like something you can do let me know. It will be years before I can do it. The learning curve for Visual Studio 2003 which I just installed is going to take me some time (which I do not have much of) still modding my last preset, so it is probably something that I will never get to and even if I did it will take me a long long time to figure it out. I am still working on the drum and bass track for my next song plus many other things. SM

Last edited by StudioMusic; 29th September 2005 at 06:53.
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2005, 08:58   #19
redi jedi
Will code for food

i have only just started with renders, and i mean like a few hours ago when i found myself at microsoft.com browsing the directx information(not that i have an explaination on how i got there or, why it took me so long to leave) but if you mean like a "slider" bar that shows/tells you the volume level, i guess one might use a rectangle of some size to signify the full volume, and a rectangle of the same hight, but a width that is equal to the current volume * ratio of full vol/full rectangles width.... or something.
sorry if i make no sence, its late, and my for loop needs to end soon... zzzzzzzzz

Blah!
Old 29th September 2005, 10:14   #20
StudioMusic
Major Dude

It made perfect since. Or maybe something like a counter that pops up when you hit the volume keys something like 1 to 100, if the volume was half way when you hit it it would say 50 and go higher and lower accordingly. SM
StudioMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2005, 12:22   #21
shifter

Hehe.. be careful what you ask for! i've been wishing for milkdrop updates for ages..

A couple of things i can remember thinking would be neat:

The ability to change the position of the texture on the shapes

An option for seamless texture wrapping i.e. instead of grabbing from the opposite side of the screen at the edges, it would use a flipped version of the nearest edge, if that makes sense?

Customisable post-processing filters

I have no idea how complex or otherwise these would be to implement, but having any of them would be sweet
shifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2005, 13:02   #22
Rovastar

Quote:
Originally posted by Phat
"However i think we should wait for a while before we all start writing presets for it (until it's "officially" available for download)"

If by that you mean bundled with winamp, that would most likey take years.

Me and Eo.s just haven't had a chance to touch it yet.
It won't but we will need a stale version whatever is released.

Maybe plan for the end of the year.

To me the most important things that I want ot do on it are:

* Bug fixes remove all the bugs that people go on about.

* Have an option for enable/disable texel alignment so the presets all work correctly and authors don't have to like Zylot does add dx =dx + 0.0005, etc.

* convert it all to use DX9 standards.

None of those things are glory work for new features.

Next 3d shapes,etc

If you do fancy doing a feature for the author I would love to see improvements to the monitor function so that they will work in per_pixel for a given location.

Old 29th September 2005, 16:33   #23
someusername

I just meant that it would be pointless to start writing presets supported by a custom build which only 5 or 10 guys have their hands on. I know that Rovastar created a link for it at the website (that's "official" indeed) but it seems Redi Jedi is going to be working more on it, so we better wait and see where it gets and then start doing stuff for it.

For a requested feature, I can't think of anything too important; Perhaps we could use a read-only variable that will allow authors to compensate for the non-square pixel/resolutions. (I must say i've needed this at some time or another) I mean, you can draw a circle in some resolution, but it will look like an oval in some other. If you could know the video's resolution at run-time it would help come around that problem, you know what I'm talking about...
someusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th September 2005, 18:20   #24
Rovastar

It is worth loooking at what is happening. At this stage I see it as playing with the source until we get outr heads together with something that we are happy to release.

As for 'offical' there is no link/announcement on my website at this stage. I just hosted it there because it is easier for me and everyone else to download.

I want to do work on this and will but time is always lacking.

When a new version does come out we will need new presets for it so we should be aware of what is happening beta wise.

Old 29th September 2005, 18:55   #25
Phat
Major Dude

We'll write presets for it, cuz 5-10 people having it just sounds exclusive to us...

There is also some stuff you should do Redi... Some stuff we don't like about how the decay value is calculated, and how the video echo is calculated. But Eo.S. can go into more detail, cuz it's what she does and all..

Last edited by Phat; 29th September 2005 at 19:20.
Old 29th September 2005, 19:04   #26
redi jedi
Will code for food

wow, thanks for the responces guys!!

@SM - i think that could be done, prolly less processing power to draw two rectangles than to or three digits of text... dunno, like i said dont know much about rendering yet.

@shifter - i was hopeing to hear from you, as you seem to have really pushed the limits of what MD 1.04b can do.. as for changing the pos. of shape texture - i'm already working on that not really coming along to well though.. the texture wraps around the center when i try to change it, prolly just need to reasses the situation and try again.. as for wrap, i am looking for a way to do it, still totaly unsure at this point. and the custom post processing is mostly what i was looking at MSDN for

@yin - i've had that problem too, i think its caused by the ASPECT ratio being a constant .75(i think) mabye if it used a var. equal to the acutaly aspect it would work better.... oh and ya, i do plan on doing more to it, as of now i am only really qualified to do the backend logic stuff, but with MSDNs help mabye i can figure it all out

@rovastar - the only bug i can rember hearing about is the multimon - vj "bug" witch i guess should be easy to fix(set the cords for vj window on the oppisite monitor as the main screen). and i dont really understand what you mean by tixel alignment, can you explain it in more detail?
and when i was looking at MSDN i saw a section on updating to DX9, i dont think it was allinclusive, just what you might need to get it to work in DX9, i'll start reading up. as for per-pixel monitor, near as i can tell it can be done, but it will only export the last value, since the pixel code it caluclated before the render, or the application of the new monitor value. as for bulit in 3d- one of my higest prioritys found a line that said(after setting x and y for perpixel wave code) v[i].z=0; i said to my self... hummmm ... but it didnt work out right, think it froze winamp if it was anything outside of 0..1 but i guess we might be set-up for 2d drawing, and it ignors z, dunno, but its already there, we just need to figure out how to implment it.

when i am finaly done..if that ever happens, i will make an installer and stuff(i just learned how in class yesterday ) and thank you all for your comments/suggestions

milk out - till you drop out

Blah!
Old 29th September 2005, 19:25   #27
Rovastar

The texel thing is from:

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=83401

but seems to be coming back in fashion.

http://forums.winamp.com/showthread....hreadid=211891

A simple on/off tickbox in the config for this will help a lot and not lead to writing presets with code that fixes the problems when it can be done in the driver.

There may be more bugs I will hunt them down.

Go ahead do what you can. Realisticaly now I will not get to look at it properly for another 4 weeks now.

- Edit: Installers are easy BTW I just use NSIS (http://nsis.sourceforge.net/). USe it will VENIS editor ( http://spaceblue.com/venis/downloads.php) and the wizard and it is dead easy. I can drop you a sample script if needed.

That is what wianmnp uses and my downloads on milkdrop.co.uk

Old 29th September 2005, 19:36   #28
Phat
Major Dude

I did a quick edit of one of the beta presets.

btw, I think if anyone writes more presets for this beta, we should always list it as such in the file name, and the .zip.

That way it's easier to keep track of.
Old 30th September 2005, 04:32   #29
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

Redi: I can answer assloads of questions about dx9 gfx & rendering as I program dx9 shaders for xbox360 as my full time job, although I don't know how much I can provide on the specifics of how to actually code the backend part that communicates to the API.

As for mirrored texture wrap there should be a MIRROR setting for d3dsamp_addressu and d3dsamp_addressv in the definition of the texture sampler [as opposed to CLAMP or WRAP]. This might only be dx9 but i'm pretty sure dx8 has MIRROR.

feature requests/bug fixes:
supposedly there's some way of setting the mesh size in a preset, but no seems to know how to do it, or if it's really there at all.

Code to set or alter the vertex locations on a shape. As well as affect the texture coordinates of the vertices.

video echo is painfully slow, so much so that it would seem to suggest that MD is just calculating everything twice. Considering the fill rate of current video cards, drawing the texture to screen twice should be just as fast as without. Being able to give code for how the mirror and original are composited together would be good too [instead of just (a+b)/2]. Gamma also kills framerate, which suggests that it is done by CPU, instead of on GPU by direct x.

Because the bit depth per pixel is low, using high decay values like 0.998 gives you that ugly grey mess that never quite reaches black. An alternate decay method that subtracts a small number [e.g. 1-decay] gives a much smoother fade that always reaches black. I've done this a couple times in MD by inverting the image and covering the screen with a shape in additive mode on a very low opacity.
Also, being able to change the decay value per pixel would be sick.

Eo.S.
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2005, 11:25   #30
Rovastar

Quote:
Originally posted by Eo.S.

feature requests/bug fixes:
supposedly there's some way of setting the mesh size in a preset, but no seems to know how to do it, or if it's really there at all.
AFAIK there is no way of doing that at the moment. What did happen was the global mesh values were available from 1.04 onwards so you could look them up in for use in the presets.

I think it was meshx and meshy variable or something. I used them a few times.

I hope that is clear.

Old 30th September 2005, 11:27   #31
Rovastar

FOr new beta presets. There should be a new subforum for OPen Source coming soon. It would be best if we keep them all in there first to save confusion.

Maybe prefix the thread title them "Beta v1.xx Presets - " or something.

Old 30th September 2005, 17:19   #32
redi jedi
Will code for food

@eos - lol good call

if (fVideoEchoAlpha > 0.001f)
{
// video echo
lpDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_ALPHABLENDENABLE, TRUE);
lpDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE);
lpDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_ZERO);

for (int i=0; i<2; i++)
{
fZoom = (i==0) ? 1.0f : fVideoEchoZoom;

float temp_lo = 0.5f - 0.5f/fZoom;
float temp_hi = 0.5f + 0.5f/fZoom;
v3[0].tu = temp_lo;
v3[0].tv = temp_hi;
v3[1].tu = temp_hi;
v3[1].tv = temp_hi;
v3[2].tu = temp_lo;
v3[2].tv = temp_lo;
v3[3].tu = temp_hi;
v3[3].tv = temp_lo;

// flipping
if (i==1)
{
for (int j=0; j<4; j++)
{
if (nVideoEchoOrientation % 2)
v3[j].tu = 1.0f - v3[j].tu;
if (nVideoEchoOrientation >= 2)
v3[j].tv = 1.0f - v3[j].tv;
}
}

float mix = (i==1) ? fVideoEchoAlpha : 1.0f - fVideoEchoAlpha;
for (int k=0; k<4; k++)
v3[k].Diffuse = D3DCOLOR_RGBA_01(mix*shade[k][0],mix*shade[k][1],mix*shade[k][2],1);

lpDevice->DrawPrimitiveUP(D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 2, (void*)v3, sizeof(SPRITEVERTEX));

if (i==0)
{
lpDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_SRCBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE);
lpDevice->SetRenderState(D3DRS_DESTBLEND, D3DBLEND_ONE);
}

if (fGammaAdj > 0.001f)
{
// draw layer 'i' a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th...) time, additively
int nRedraws = (int)(fGammaAdj - 0.0001f);
float gamma;

for (int nRedraw=0; nRedraw < nRedraws; nRedraw++)
{
if (nRedraw == nRedraws-1)
gamma = fGammaAdj - (int)(fGammaAdj - 0.0001f);
else
gamma = 1.0f;

for (int k=0; k<4; k++)
v3[k].Diffuse = D3DCOLOR_RGBA_01(gamma*mix*shade[k][0],gamma*mix*shade[k][1],gamma*mix*shade[k][2],1);
lpDevice->DrawPrimitiveUP(D3DPT_TRIANGLESTRIP, 2, (void*)v3, sizeof(SPRITEVERTEX));
}
}
}
}

well it doesnt quite calculate everything twice, just renders twice, or more for gama... do you think using a texture, like the shapes, would be faster? i might be able to figure that out

Blah!
Old 1st October 2005, 02:57   #33
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

I'm guessing by 'renders twice' you mean the CPU is sending the image to GPU to draw on screen twice. If that's the case then doing it with a texture would be way faster because it would actually get accelerated by the GPU.

Can't say exactly how it look in C, but in HLSL for DX8, pixel shader 1.1 [that's geforce 3 and up]

video echo - assume that the full screen quad has 4 vertices, with xy values of [-1,-1] [-1,1] [1,1] [1,-1]

----vertex shader
struct VS_OUTPUT
{
float4 pos : POSITION0;
float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD0;
float2 texCoordB : TEXCOORD1;
};

VS_OUTPUT vs_main( float4 inPos: POSITION )
{
VS_OUTPUT Out = (VS_OUTPUT) 0;

Out.pos = float4( inPos.xy, 0.0f, 1.0f);

// get into range [0,1]
Out.texCoord = (float2(Out.pos.x,-Out.pos.y)+1.0f)/2.0f;
Out.texCoordB = float2(1-Out.texCoord.x,Out.texCoord.y);
return Out;
}

This gives a quad adjusted to the exact screen extents to the pixel shader, and two sets of texture coordinates, where the second is flipped on the x axis.

----pixel shader
float4 ps_main( float2 texCoord : TEXCOORD0, float2 texCoordB : TEXCOORD1 ) : COLOR
{
float4 result;
float4 A = tex2D( Texture0, texCoord );
float4 B = tex2D( Texture0, texCoordB );

result = (A + B)/2;

return result;
}

Texture0 is of course assumed to be the texture sampler for the milkdrop processed image.

as for gamma, this is really just multiplication, so we should be able to add

result *= gamma; before the return

except in dx8 we can't multiply by values over 1, we can get around this be adding the result to itself several times and then multiplying by gamma. This of course means that if we add enough times for 4x brightness, that a user set gamma value of "1.0" actually correspondes to 0.25 whem we multiply by "gamma" as our result begins with a value of 400%. Hope that made sense >^~^<

Eo.S. >^-^<
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2005, 04:25   #34
redi jedi
Will code for food

ok got the texture saving thing down, added a var to the shape code called tex_capture, working on puting it in the menu. also *hopeing* to have a saved texture for each shape(that would be soooo sweet).

@eos - i'll look into that texture thing, i just dont know how to flip them around, or blend them

Blah!
Old 1st October 2005, 06:09   #35
redi jedi
Will code for food

var tex_capture add to menu -> done
diffrent tex_captures per shape -> done
i have to run it on auto tex size, i get an outof mem
error at 2000x2000 or whatever, but it runs pretty
good on auto, made a test preset with for shapes at
x=.25,.75 & y=.25,.75; and set eachone to capture on
equal(bc%4,shapenumber), just set a simple rot+cx/cy
OMG it looks SOOOO cool

also updated the menu text a little( added tex_zoom/ang/capture)

still working on changing the center of the texture(s) and the video_echo problem, dont know if i will do anymore tonight or not

Blah!
Old 1st October 2005, 09:56   #36
Phat
Major Dude

I think there are a few variables already that are not listed, it would be good to get these pre-existing ones on the menu list. I think tex_zoom for per-frame isn't listed for shapes, the others escape me currently.
Old 1st October 2005, 16:27   #37
redi jedi
Will code for food

thanks phat - shape menus updated, still need to look at the rest...ooo that reminds me i'b gonna have to add the w1-w8 vars too

Blah!
Old 3rd October 2005, 10:05   #38
Rovastar

Quote:
Originally posted by Eo.S.

Can't say exactly how it look in C, but in HLSL for DX8, pixel shader 1.1 [that's geforce 3 and up]
Are you sure about that?

My research is that PS 1.1 is GeForce4 Ti/Radeon 8500 or above

I think it is worrying at this stage to increase the bottomline spec of MilKDrop to this high spec. Lets not make MD too elitist.

Old 3rd October 2005, 17:17   #39
redi jedi
Will code for food

i've been trying to redo the video echo part, without much luck, it might take me a while to figure out. i did think of a posible way to control the blend setting, gonna look in to it.
@rova - should i just e-mail you my updates insted of posting them in three posts?

@eos - i rember hearing something about how you guys had redone milkdrop in rendermonkey or something, if so can i get a copy of that, mabye i can figure out how to integrate it...

Blah!
Old 3rd October 2005, 17:49   #40
Rovastar

Feel free to email me them. I'll try and get you ftp access or something.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Development