Old 1st April 2011, 12:26   #1
aerozol

Various Tagging Questions

I have browsed the crap* out of the internet, but still haven't found answers to this stuff, so hope you guys don't mind me popping in with some Q's.

The Category tag: What's it for? Just ignore it? Why does it display it at all?
When I edit the category tag, winamp doesn't detect text in there in its searches etc anyway.

Sometimes when I get a CD off someone, it will have a bunch of numbers, or just a series of spaces (ten or so) in the comments section. What are these? Left overs form when the CD got ripped? Is it useful information, or can I get rid of it?

I want to tag my albums/musicians by country, to make it easier to find things. What would be the best way to do this? There doesn't seem to be an ideal tag space for it..

I'm a visual person, so I like having nice album art. Often songs have bad quality images imbedded in the image info- I've just been deleting that, and dropping the better cover into the album folder, named 'folder.jpg'. Winamp then automatically uses it as album art. It's seemed the most efficient thing to do so far- or should I do it another way?

I probably forgot a thing or two, but that will do haha. I'm a bit OCD about my music, so thanks in advance for any help!

*(;
aerozol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2011, 22:42   #2
MrSinatra
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to MrSinatra
in general, the answer is "what works for you" as tagging specs are so vague there is no right or wrong way (within reason).

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerozol View Post
The Category tag: What's it for? Just ignore it? Why does it display it at all?
When I edit the category tag, winamp doesn't detect text in there in its searches etc anyway.
i believe its an itunes thing, not sure. check www.id3.org

i am surprised to hear winamp searches don't find its data. if true, that might be a bug.

Quote:
Sometimes when I get a CD off someone, it will have a bunch of numbers, or just a series of spaces (ten or so) in the comments section. What are these? Left overs form when the CD got ripped? Is it useful information, or can I get rid of it?
imo, the spaces are useless and in fact bad to have, b/c it creates data bloat. must be a crap ripper adding them. the numbers do mean something, but are of no use to me, i think they are safe to delete. my guess is they are the CD ID for the DB that served the info, or something similar.

Quote:
I want to tag my albums/musicians by country, to make it easier to find things. What would be the best way to do this? There doesn't seem to be an ideal tag space for it..
the easiest way would be by the "album artist" tag, so something like:

England - Rod Stewart

...would be what you put in there. but that might not be ideal. of course, since i never heard of anyone browsing artists via country of origin, its not surprising there is no obvious way to do this.

Quote:
I'm a visual person, so I like having nice album art. Often songs have bad quality images imbedded in the image info- I've just been deleting that, and dropping the better cover into the album folder, named 'folder.jpg'. Winamp then automatically uses it as album art. It's seemed the most efficient thing to do so far- or should I do it another way?
thats the way i would do it, but again its whatever works best for you.

PENN STATE Radio or http://www.LION-Radio.org/
--
BUG #1 = Winamp skips short tracks
Wish #1 = Multiple Column Sorting
Wish #2 = Add TCMP/Compilation editing
MrSinatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2011, 01:20   #3
aerozol

Great, thanks (:

I've updated Winamp to the latest version, and it now lets me add and search by 'Category', so that's all good.
I still can't find what it's meant to be for... I think I'll use it to tag artists by country.

Didn't know it's not done often, but I have a lot of music (not too uncommon on this forum I'd imagine haha), and it's useful for differentiating between bands of the same name, and also if I can't quite remember the band name, as well as often being an indication of their style within a genre. I'm just going to go for it and chuck it in there (:
aerozol is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Discussion

Tags
metadata, tagging