Old 2nd November 2003, 00:00   #361
Carnicero

OK, here's a visual representation with the problem I mentioned earlier.

As you can see, the two windows are docking separately. Both are Winamp Beta2 but the one on the right is using the old skin from Beta1, evident by the option tabs on the drawers. The player on the left (using the unzipped default Beta2 Modern skin) will snap normally to the PLE window but the drawer does not open over the docked window, like it does with the player on the left using the old skin.

I've fiddled with snapping options in Preferences (as DJ Egg suggested) but unfortunately didn't solve the problem. I can provide system specs if needed but I think this might be an error in the skin code.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg skinproblem.jpg (84.1 KB, 290 views)
Old 2nd November 2003, 01:08   #362
SquishSquid

Quote:
Originally posted by Dipso
Beta 2 seems to have some crashes and hangs releated to the media library and refreshing directories, i havent quite figgured out what happens, but if the bug occurs, winamp starts freezing at start and i have to delete the configs and data related to ML in order for it to work again.

Also beta2 seems to have broken media keyboard API support (yes, i have read the known bugs thing, but im talking about the microsoft _STANDARD_ for multimedia keyboards, witch most new keyboards use, and that _was_ working in beta1)
XP SP1, WA5 beta 2, oct 23, MS internet k/b pro with intellitype pro 5

i had same probs with the MM k/b API... but in a diff. way.. the MM keys worked ok with all ver. of winamp (well i didnt try WA3 but i did try with WA5B2) with the IT 2 software.. but when i upgraded to ver 5 of IT, WA5B2 stopped working with the MM keys but WA2 still worked... so im guessing that there was a change by MS between 2 and 5 of its IT drivers.. *shrug* im not sure
Old 2nd November 2003, 02:24   #363
Dipso

Quote:
Originally posted by SquishSquid
XP SP1, WA5 beta 2, oct 23, MS internet k/b pro with intellitype pro 5

i had same probs with the MM k/b API... but in a diff. way.. the MM keys worked ok with all ver. of winamp (well i didnt try WA3 but i did try with WA5B2) with the IT 2 software.. but when i upgraded to ver 5 of IT, WA5B2 stopped working with the MM keys but WA2 still worked... so im guessing that there was a change by MS between 2 and 5 of its IT drivers.. *shrug* im not sure
Heh, weird though, cause, i thought thiese were pretty standard calls made by the OS that all MM apps should (if coded right) pick up, i mean the MM keys worked fine with both my new MS keyboard, and my old EZ-key one wihtout installing any drivers, just having the OS handle it. (of course, that rendered any app launching keys useless)

Anyone have any bright ideas?

There is obviously some form of malcomunication between the OS/Driver/Winamp, and realy, there should be (and i thought there was) some sort of standard for this...

NOTE: API compliant plugins for WA still work fine.
I had to install RM-X to get it working in beta2, while in beta1 i had nothing installed.
Old 2nd November 2003, 03:15   #364
myhotelyear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dazog
Its crap eh?

Too bad i don't see annny Information we can use to reproduce it to fix it so it's not "crap"

Make sure you post your information to help us before you call it crap.

dude you need to chill out. all i'm trying to do is report a bug that i found.

and just because i use they word crap doesn't mean that i'm calling winamp crap. if i thought it was crap i wouldn't use it. i just thought your previous comment was crap.
Old 2nd November 2003, 03:21   #365
Stratyon

This might be just me, but...
Opening any program (or performing any task that uses cpu power while using Winamp 5 Beta 2 makes winamp crash in a peculiar way.
It still responds, but is unable to open any songs, and any song that is currently playing hangs. Only way to fix it is to restart Winamp (although it sticks in the background when I close it so I have to manually stop the process. If I don't and try starting it again it behaves in the exactly same way other then there now being two processes running instead of one)
Also Winamp uses WAY to much CPU power, and just doing simple things like minimizing it makes the music stop for several seconds before continuing...

Pentium 4 2.6Ghz 512Mb Ram
Windows 2000 Pro
Soundblaser Audigy 1 Platinum
Gainward Geforce4 Ti 4200
Old 2nd November 2003, 03:57   #366
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by myhotelyear
dude you need to chill out. all i'm trying to do is report a bug that i found.

and just because i use they word crap doesn't mean that i'm calling winamp crap. if i thought it was crap i wouldn't use it. i just thought your previous comment was crap.
I don't see the information required to try and reproduce.

Ah well you can't teach an idiot not to be one
Old 2nd November 2003, 05:23   #367
cppman

I really like Beta2. That said, here's some bugs.

If the video/vis window is opened, opacity reverts to 100%. Also, it cant be changed when the window is open. I also find that hitting the delete key often wont remove the currently selected item from the playlist editor.
Old 2nd November 2003, 06:51   #368
Wetzel

Send a message via AIM to Wetzel Send a message via Yahoo to Wetzel
Winamp5 Beta 2
Two bugs with enqueuing Wav files from the library.

Ok, the first bug is a real bug, i'm not sure if it's already known or not (it's not on the main known bugs list), but when I enqueue an album of wav files i've ripped, it puts them in the playlist as usual and I start playing the first file, and sometimes it displays the song length incorrectly (see attached image).

It is reproduceable, but it's not completely consistent.

the other problem, i think was also present in winamp2, which is that when i enqueue wav files, it does not add the song lengths of the files until i play them, from the media library. it does add the song lengths of mp3s. I believe this is more of an oversight than a real bug, so i'm just pointing it out, since i've never seen it mentioned before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wavbug.jpg (99.4 KB, 253 views)
Old 2nd November 2003, 09:02   #369
booterror

moden skin crash

I don't know why this is but i've had this problem since beta 1. Whenever I switch to a modern skin (Even the default one) winamp 5 loads it and instantly crashes. Any ideas on fixing this without a new update? Or shall I just wait and hope it gets fixed by the next release?
Old 2nd November 2003, 09:14   #370
crazee

I searched the forums, but couldn't find if it had been reported or not. It's such an obnoxious bug that i'm sure it has, but as it was there in Beta 1 (but i couldn't reproduce it), i'll post anyway.

Beta 2
Win2k
Classic Skin (could be in modern too).

Reproducible steps:
1) Put a bunch of songs into a playlist
2) Close winamp (don't save the playlist, winamp will save the playlist itself to Winamp.m3u)
3) Open winamp
4) Change some of the ID3 tags (i was correcting spellings and changing case when this happened).
5) Open the media library
6) Enqueue any song and close the library/
7) Play one of the tracks that you changed the ID3 tag for

You'll notice that the title shown reverts to what it was before the tag was changed (the tag that was stored in Winamp.m3u).

No matter what you do, the tag won't show properly until you restart winamp. The steps may seem long and complicated, but they're actually pretty common for people to perform unknowingly.
Old 2nd November 2003, 16:54   #371
Star Wars Guy

This probably isnt a bug but if you have the MMD 3 skin, and then select a song the bar covers the song title so much that you cant read it unlike the classic and modern skin. Also when you select a font size it doesnt make a difference.
Old 2nd November 2003, 17:55   #372
grenavitar

Half of the Internet TV feeds crash winamp... they get to about 96 or 99% buffered and then it freezes up.
Old 2nd November 2003, 19:39   #373
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by crazee
I searched the forums, but couldn't find if it had been reported or not. It's such an obnoxious bug that i'm sure it has, but as it was there in Beta 1 (but i couldn't reproduce it), i'll post anyway.

Beta 2
Win2k
Classic Skin (could be in modern too).

Reproducible steps:
1) Put a bunch of songs into a playlist
2) Close winamp (don't save the playlist, winamp will save the playlist itself to Winamp.m3u)
3) Open winamp
4) Change some of the ID3 tags (i was correcting spellings and changing case when this happened).
5) Open the media library
6) Enqueue any song and close the library/
7) Play one of the tracks that you changed the ID3 tag for

You'll notice that the title shown reverts to what it was before the tag was changed (the tag that was stored in Winamp.m3u).

No matter what you do, the tag won't show properly until you restart winamp. The steps may seem long and complicated, but they're actually pretty common for people to perform unknowingly.
Reproduced and Reported.

Thanx
Old 3rd November 2003, 00:03   #374
myhotelyear

Quote:
Originally posted by Dazog
I don't see the information required to try and reproduce.

Ah well you can't teach an idiot not to be one
here's how to reproduce:

step 1> click on add, remove, select, misc, or list

step 2> move cursor over text

step 3> look at how the text magically disappears

but i suppose an idiot like you could tell that from the picture i attached to my previous post
Old 3rd November 2003, 00:25   #375
deligeorgis

Every time I run WA5, a pop-up window displays: "DB read failed, DB may be corrupted. If this error persists, remove all files from the library". At the same time, the library seems to be in "Scanning./.\./.\./.\" mode. When I press the "OK" button, everything works OK. All my files seem to be in the library. Is it a bug? Or what? Its annoying!
Old 3rd November 2003, 00:29   #376
SquishSquid

found a small bug in the modern skin..
i use the xbox one and if i run the mouse over the prev., play, pause, stop, next, mute butons and back again some of the buttons dont highlight.. but it only happens in a certain order... from mute backwards as far as i can tell...

ok it doesnt always not highlight like that... i just run my mouse backwards and fowards and it does it sometimes

system specs..
GF FX 5200 with 52.16 drivers with 2 screens
SB live
Duron 1300
384megs of SD ram
XP SP1
DX 9.0b

Winamp 5 beta 2

i looked at the not bugs section and i see that MM k/bs arnt a bug.. i dont want to push the issue but im interested why my MM keys work in WA2 and not in WA5 (and im using a MS k/b and drivers which i thought were the "standard" for these things)

Last edited by SquishSquid; 3rd November 2003 at 02:45.
Old 3rd November 2003, 00:31   #377
crl620

Repeat button doesn't work

Winamp 5 / Beta 2 / Build 7

My repeat button seems to do nothing at all.

While listening to a playlist, I double-click a song (mp3) and then click the repeat button (or press R).

Winamp just keeps playing through the playlist, exactly the same as if I hadn't had it on repeat.

Has anyone else seen this issue?
Old 3rd November 2003, 00:53   #378
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

It helps first if you know what the repeat button does

Repeat ON with "Manual Playlist Advance" unchecked in Prefs -> Playlists = Repeat playlist (starts at track 1 again when it gets to end).
Repeat ON with "Manual Playlist Advance" checkmarked in Prefs -> Playlists = Repeat one track (until next button is clicked).
Repeat OFF with "Manual Playlist Advance" checkmarked = manual playlist advance (ie. no automatic).
Repeat OFF with "Manual Playlist Advance" unchecked = playlist auto advances, but doesn't restart at track 1 when it gets to the end of list.

I'm rather hoping that, in the next build, these options will be available via the Repeat button's right click menu (Repeat none, all, one)

btw, apart from crazee's bug, I also can't reproduce anything else
reported on this page. We need system specs (cpu, ram, mobo, videocard, soundcard, etc), Windows OS, DirectX version, Winamp 5.0 beta version+build, plus any other info relevant to the report (eg. file formats affected, exact error messages, language/locale, confirmation your system is virus/trojan/spyware free, etc), plus exact steps to reproduce the problem . . . otherwise your post is pretty much useless.

We need all this info in ONE post, not split over two or more different posts.

Please also remember to read the Known Bugs thread first,
and especially the "not bugs" section (re: keyboards, 3rd-party plugins/skins etc)

And most importantly, please get familiar with Winamp's preferences / settings before reporting anything that a simple setting change will get rid of

@cppman
I think it's meant to be that way (by design).
Opacity doesn't work with video or vis plugin windows (attached/detached)
Old 3rd November 2003, 01:36   #379
Wetzel

ok, I realized I was actually confused as to what was causing my
song length bug. I've figured out that it applies to ALL files (no matter what format), and it's completely reproduceable on my system. Whenever I right click on a song in my playlist and click "file info", even if i don't modify anything and just click update (in an mp3) or say with a wav, just click OK, it displays the song length completely wrong (like in the picture i included) until i double click on the song in my playlist to play/restart it.

I'm using Windows XP Pro SP1
On a Dell Dimension 4550
Geforce 3 Ti200
Creative Audigy (i know, i know, but it was cheap) running kX drivers
512 ram, 2.4 ghz Pentium 4
DirectX 9.0b
Old 3rd November 2003, 03:47   #380
Helkite

Another bug. CTRL + + and CTRL + - to resize the playlist fonts is extremely lagged, like a delay of 1-3 seconds, even if there's only 10 entries in the playlist.
Old 3rd November 2003, 04:48   #381
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by myhotelyear
here's how to reproduce:

step 1> click on add, remove, select, misc, or list

step 2> move cursor over text

step 3> look at how the text magically disappears

but i suppose an idiot like you could tell that from the picture i attached to my previous post
Umm i will say again

OS, BUILD the usual???

I dunno man...
Old 3rd November 2003, 05:07   #382
ReLapse

Came across this...

Old 3rd November 2003, 05:27   #383
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

When did you come across ^that^?
How would WE go about reproducing it?
What are your system specs?
Attaching the error report would also probably help . . .
Old 3rd November 2003, 05:32   #384
ReLapse

I installed, ran, loaded a song and it happened.

Windows XP Pro SP1
Intel P4 2.53
Geforce 2
Creative Audigy 2
512 DDR
Directx 8.1b

I would help you out with the error report but after this happened to much i uninstalled because i couldnt listen to my tunes.

I know its a beta, so dont evne go there.
Old 3rd November 2003, 06:23   #385
brooded

im not sure if this is a bug, but it is rather annoying...

.wma files are alot louder than .mp3 files. this did not happen with winamp3, only with winamp5b2. i hate wma files as much as the next person, and i probably wouldnt care, except i have alot of them.

system specs:
winamp 5 beta 2
windows XP home edition no SP
amd 1800xp
512ddr
n-force 2 onboard sound card
Old 3rd November 2003, 07:01   #386
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Not a bug.
Winamp and Winamp3 are two entirely different products/players.
Winamp uses in_wm.dll to decode wma
This plugin is licensed from and crippled by Microsoft.
As from Winamp 2.60, Microsoft's in_wm is hard-coded to use WaveOut Output only.
Winamp3 uses the Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder (in_dshow.wac) to decode WMA.
Solution? Either replace in_wm.dll with this older version from 2.50,
or remove in_wm.dll and add WMA to the extension list in the Nullsoft DirectShow Decoder (in_dshow.dll) config (Prefs -> Plugins -> Input).
Old 3rd November 2003, 08:17   #387
o_spring

mm keboard not a bug ?

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg

Please also remember to read the Known Bugs thread first,
and especially the "not bugs" section (re keyboards, 3rd-party plugins/skins etc)

I have read but I still do not understand...

Could you then explain, why the problem with MM keyboard, several people here have experienced, is not a bug ? And why , the more WA5 evolve , the less it works with our KB ? Do you remove this compatibilty knowingly ?

SPEC:
Windows XP
Winamp 5, beta 2
Wireless MM keyboard with Intellitype 5
Old 3rd November 2003, 08:50   #388
max1274

Wirless Connection Dropped

Hi,

I run a wireless network using D-Link hardware (D-Link AirPlus DWL-650+ CardBus Adapter and D-Link AirPlus DWL-520+). When i attempt to load up and play a load of files (roughly 1000), my wireless connection gets broken and i have to reboot my machine before it will work again. This works fine with Winamp 2 and other than this the network is very stable.

Both machines use windows XP and are over 1.8Ghz, 256 RAM. Not sure what build of Winamp 5 Beta i am using as i am at work but i only downloaded it a day or two ago.

Cheers.
Old 3rd November 2003, 10:43   #389
robdon

Hi,

Very minor but....

Winamp 5.0 Beta 2
WinXP Prof.

If you move your cursor into the winamp window, and slowly move the cursor to the edge of the window until the cursor changes to the resize cursor, and then continue moving it slowly until it exits the winamp window and returns back to the normal windows pointer.

Then, without moving over the winamp window again, move to the windows task bar, and right click on the winamp task.

Notice that while the cursor is over the right click menu, the cursor is the resize cursor, not the normal windows pointer.

Rob D.
Old 3rd November 2003, 14:03   #390
Wetzel

Quote:
Originally posted by robdon
If you move your cursor into the winamp window, and slowly move the cursor to the edge of the window until the cursor changes to the resize cursor, and then continue moving it slowly until it exits the winamp window and returns back to the normal windows pointer.

Then, without moving over the winamp window again, move to the windows task bar, and right click on the winamp task.

Notice that while the cursor is over the right click menu, the cursor is the resize cursor, not the normal windows pointer.

Rob D.
Yup, I just reproduced that, so, same thing here.
Old 3rd November 2003, 18:37   #391
sebreid

virutal memory / RAM hogging during refresh

Windows XP Home SP1, P4 2.7, 786mb ram

Nice little bug i discovered today, which had previously not happened.

Turned on WA5, and it began its scanning of media folders for changes cycle. Instantly, page file jumped 900mb, and Winamp gobbled up 490mb of ram. At which point, XP reports it to have crashed, and kills the process for me

turned off cycle on start, and it stopped. did a background media scan using library button, and it did the same again.

Has occured about 6 times now when using WA5, does NOT occur using 2.91 using identical folders in its media library. Media library is about 300 hours of oggs/mp3s and has a few anime videos in it. Spread across 2 hard drives, non networked.

Has this happened to anyone else

Last edited by sebreid; 3rd November 2003 at 19:23.
Old 3rd November 2003, 20:57   #392
Arckon

I just fixed my problem where I can't see what's in the media lib and playlist editor when using winamp3 skins! I disabled Lucidamp 3.1, and all is good now! So there is either a bug in the winamp API's or in Lucidamp.
Old 3rd November 2003, 23:10   #393
Kbirger

multiple instances is disabled but winamp still launches multiple instances :-/ lol
Old 3rd November 2003, 23:36   #394
crazee

@max1274
I noticed something odd like that before, but thought it was probably just stupid to report it

If you right click on winamps window whilst the cursor is set to resize, etc, it stays that way in the popup. Guess thats whats happening there too. Winamp must just use the cursor from the last position on the window detected.
Old 4th November 2003, 01:48   #395
Cyberwizzard

Winamp doesn't save playlists completely

After i imported my entire library into a playlist and restart winamp 5 beta 2, most of the list is gone. Only the first +/- 800 numbers are there...
Old 4th November 2003, 02:54   #396
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Kbirger
multiple instances is disabled but winamp still launches multiple instances :-/ lol
Doesn't for me.

it works like it is supposed 2.
Old 4th November 2003, 02:56   #397
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by robdon
Hi,

Very minor but....

Winamp 5.0 Beta 2
WinXP Prof.

Rob D.
Damn you guys are picky..

I will report it

Nice find lol
Old 4th November 2003, 03:02   #398
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by crazee
@max1274
I noticed something odd like that before, but thought it was probably just stupid to report it

If you right click on winamps window whilst the cursor is set to resize, etc, it stays that way in the popup. Guess thats whats happening there too. Winamp must just use the cursor from the last position on the window detected.

this was fixed in Beta2

are you running Beta 2?
Old 4th November 2003, 03:37   #399
StreetWalker

Quote:
Originally posted by Helkite
[B]Winamp5 is quite cool and a nice, refreshing, change from the 2 Series, but there's still full of bugs.
I hear Microsoft is available to help the boys out on how to make a program work.
Old 4th November 2003, 04:27   #400
crazee

Quote:
this was fixed in Beta2

are you running Beta 2?
@Dazog
Yes, i'm running beta 2. I'm not sure if what i described was what you were thinking though. Try this:

1) Load up a classic skin (probably same on modern, didn't try)
2) Move the mouse over any part that changes the cursor, such as the title bar.
3) Right click while the cursor is like that, and the cursor keeps the resize icon until the popup is closed.

It's nothing big, hell, its not even annoying.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports