Old 24th October 2003, 09:22   #201
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
I get an error when trying to use the skin "Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP". It wants to play a little video and I get the error "Unable to play Intro, Missing component (video.wac)."

My guess is video.wac from WA3 isn't in WA5.

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Old 24th October 2003, 10:41   #202
crazee

I'd guess bugs with winamp3 skins are to be expected.. after all, wa5 != wa3...
Old 24th October 2003, 12:14   #203
TeNaCiOuS

When shuffle is on it plays only ten to twenty songs although I have hundreds of songs!
Old 24th October 2003, 12:22   #204
Cif

Send a message via ICQ to Cif Send a message via AIM to Cif
I have some .OGG files with a lot of logical Stream Info, but WinAmp show only the first in Song Title bar and playlist. If u see the file info u can see all the logical stream. In Winamp 2 it changed correctly.
Old 24th October 2003, 12:41   #205
DrPizza

Quote:
Originally posted by Dazog
Please post your computer specs, thanx.
P4 2.53, 1 GiB RAM, Win2K SP4. What else is important to know?
Original bug report is here
Old 24th October 2003, 14:35   #206
sebt

[bug] using DirectSound output driver

This bug has been around since the dawn of wa2 Directsound support. I'm not sure, but I think it affects wa3 as well (didnt get on much with wa3).

I use the Yamaha DSP factory soundcard in my machine. I have 2 of these soundcards. A card has 16 outputs which appear in Windows as 8 stereo pairs, called YAMAHA DS2416 1 / YAMAHA DS2416 2 etc.. The second card duplicates these output names but includes '#2' in the output name so for example.. YAMAHA DS2416 1 #2 / YAMAHA DS2416 2 #2 etc.

The problem is, when using wa's directsound driver, the '#2' driverset are listed without the '#2' naming. So effectively you see a list like YAMAHA DS2416 1 / YAMAHA DS2416 2, twice in the dropdown box. Effectively this means outputs on the second card can never be accessed via directsound.

My workaround has been to use the waveout driver instead - the outputs appear correctly under this driver - but of course I would prefer to be using the directsound driver because that supports many more features like fade in / out etc etc.

I am happy to supply further info if necessary.

Seb
Old 24th October 2003, 15:02   #207
sebt

CD playing still not all that :(

When I use wa5 to play CD's, I still get breaks between the tracks. Doesn't matter what combination of options I use in the configuration of in_cdda.dll ie. with/without DAE etc.

This is especially annoying when playing CD's where music continues between track markers. Why can't wa play cd's like the old windows cd player thats been around since the dawn of time?

I've tried this on different machines and the problem seems worse on some and better on others (ie. the length of the gap) but the problem is always there.

Seb

nb. it would also be nice if when clicking on the elapsed time, a third toggle of "time remaining for CD/playlist" would show. I find this feature on normal CD players very useful.
Old 24th October 2003, 15:37   #208
Loofington

Win xp sp1
amd xp 1600+
asus a7n266
logitech internet navigator keyboard
Winamp 5.0beta 10/13/03
I'm not sure if this is a bug with logitech or winamp so I will post it anyway. When I press the "play" button on my keyboard winamp opens with only a %1 in the playlist. When I goto list>load and load winamp.m3u I need to press the "play" button on my keyboard 2 times for it to play
Old 24th October 2003, 17:22   #209
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Loofington
I guess that is a problem with your keyboard config/drivers ?

@sebt
1) not a bug
Configure gapless playback properly in DirectSound Output config.
Increase "Buffer Ahead on Track Change" slider (Buffer tab)
Checkmark "Remove silence" & decrease cut-off value if necessary (Other tab)
(Requires DAE to be enabled in in_cdda config)

2) I'll report this issue (re: out_ds device config)
Thanks for bringing it to our attention
(note: you should've posted this as a separate thread if the problem also exists in Winamp 2.9x)

3) feature requests go in wishlist forum (subforum in wa2/5 discussions)

@DrPizza
I'll leave this one to Dazog

@ Cif / cppman / rlevis (re: bugs in 1st-party plugins)
I'll pass all that info on

@TeNaCiOuS
Is "shuffle morph rate" up full in Prefs -> Playlists?

@Viper007Bond
what crazee said (some winamp3 skins will need updating for wa5 compatibility)
plus you possibly have too many 3rd-party plugins installed to be beta testing winamp 5
Old 24th October 2003, 17:41   #210
sebt

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
@sebt
1) not a bug
Configure gapless playback properly in DirectSound Output config.
Increase "Buffer Ahead on Track Change" slider (Buffer tab)
Checkmark "Remove silence" & decrease cut-off value if necessary (Other tab)
(Requires DAE to be enabled in in_cdda config)

2) I'll report this issue (re: out_ds device config)
Thanks for bringing it to our attention
(note: you should've posted this as a separate thread if the problem also exists in Winamp 2.9x)

3) feature requests go in wishlist forum (subforum in wa2/5 discussions)
1) I gave it a try but there is still a tiny gap during track changeover. No matter what options I use, or what I set the "track change buffer" to. Music does not play seamlessly through a track change. In fact 0 or any other value didn't really make much difference. It's definitely better with DAE, but why should gapless playback only work when DAE is enabled? If the tracks are played in order surely the cd should just play straight through at 1x?

2) Thanks.. as I said before if you need any further info to help diagnose this problem just let me know. It seems to me the problem actually lies with the Windows/combobox behaviour. Because the text is identical in the duplicate list, the effect is that Windows will always return a pointer to the first item, not the "duplicate" (which should actually be different), so wa always thinks the item is selected from the first instead of the second group. Going back to the combobox again shows the first one to be hilited every time.

3) Noted. I'll post my wish for the systray icon to have convenient play management controls there as well

Big for wa5, it's looking excellent and wa been my media player of choice for some years now. Thank you! Would be great to have sync/integration with MP3 players like iPod but I'm sure that will come in time. DOH! another wish crept in

Seb

Last edited by sebt; 24th October 2003 at 18:11.
Old 24th October 2003, 18:57   #211
sebt

More info on "gapless playback"

OK, with reference to (1) in my post above:

I can get gapless playback working using the native plugins, but it does not work properly. Firstly, in the configuration screen for in_cdda.dll, I choose "Enable DAE when possible". However, if I leave "Use Sonic Engine" unchecked, DAE effectively does not happen ergo, no gapless playback. This was the problem I had initially. Why does wa need to use the "Sonic Engine" to do DAE, when in Windows XP, it's available at Win32 API level? Right, so with the "Sonic engine" enabled, I get gapless playback, but a small slice of music at the changeover is repeated. In other words, there's no gap as such, but it sounds incorrect because a bit of music is repeated. The effect is subtle, because the amount of repeated sound is small, but it's wrong all the same.

If I install the "CD reader plugin", everything works perfectly: no gaps, no repetition, and no use of the "Sonic Engine", just Win32 for DAE and perfect playback. But, I must set a DirectSound "track change buffer" of at least 400ms, otherwise I get huge gaps and wa hangs during track changeover.

Imo I think that winamp should be able to do proper CD playback without any 3rd party plugins, so with the Sonic Engine enabled there is a small bug existing in in_cdda.dll with the repeating slice of music. Also, when DAE is enabled, but Sonic disabled, DAE appears not to work under XP. I think this is also a bug.

Hope this helps, Seb
Old 24th October 2003, 19:13   #212
RaveN-FH-

windows 2000 sp4
p4 1.6 ghz
directsound output 2.2.6

after playing mp3s for awhile winamp 5 beta 1 cpu usage will shoot to 100%. it will remain this way until winamp is closed (stopping the track does not stop the usage... however it does sometimes lower it to around 60-70%).

i'm not sure what else might be helpful... if you think of something let me know.

Last edited by RaveN-FH-; 24th October 2003 at 19:58.
Old 24th October 2003, 22:41   #213
Ian_C

Quote:
originally posted by Ian_C
When playing an audio CD there is a slight pause between tracks so if a song spans onto the next track there is a break in the music where there should not be one. Also on audio CD's that have multimedia content between each track the CD spins down and then back up again giving a pause of about a second.
Sorry this is going back a few posts so I have put my original question, to which I got this reply

Quote:
originally posted by DJ Egg
@Ian_C
Yes, do as amano says to enable Digital Audio Extraction
(requires winamp restart to take effect)
Note: You might also need to uncheck "sample input from soundcard..."

Then go back into Prefs,
Go to: Output -> DirectSound Output -> config -> Buffering
Increase "buffer ahead on track change" slider until problem is gone.
You might also need to checkmark "remove silence" (Other tab) and adjust "cut-off" value...
I finally got round to trying this out on two seperate machines and no matter what I set the buffer to or the remove silence value at I always get a small gap between tracks when playing a CD. This is particular bad when playing an enhanced CD. Seeing as others are reporting this now I guess this is a bug.

Hope it helps
Old 24th October 2003, 23:05   #214
anton525

Send a message via ICQ to anton525
more about playing CD

When I play CD, Winamp 5 spins CD-ROM drive up to maximum speed at the beginning of each track. All previous versions behaved so only upon insertion disk, so had to slow down drive only once with each CD. Now it became really boring
CD-ROM drive: TEAC DV-516E, DAE enabled.
Old 24th October 2003, 23:06   #215
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@sebt (also applies in part to Ian_C and anton525)

I could be wrong, but I don't think in_cdda supports SPTI
(native WinNT/Win32 SCSI pass-through interface). If I'm right, then this is not a bug, it's a currently unimplemented feature (which I think is meant to be coming...) ?!

It does support ASPI though (Win2k/XP require wnaspi32.dll in System32 dir), so it'll fall back to that if you uncheck "use sonic engine".

btw, it seems to be the other way round with me, probably because my in_cdda is using ASPI layer ("use sonic engine" unchecked)
I can't seem to get true gapless cd playback with Sonic Engine, so yes, that could well be deemed as a bug or unimplemented feature . . . ?!

Note: I think you still need to restart winamp for any changes to take effect when you change the DAE options in in_cdda config (it used to say this in 2.9x, but it's not there any more in latest internal beta2 of wa5)

My current out_ds settings:

Buffering tab:
Buffer = 2500 (I need this to get 2.5 sec fadeout on stop/pause)
prebuffer = 400
b.a.o.t.c = 1500

Fading tab
Enabling "fade on start / end of track" kills gapless feature
(ie. crossfade is currently disabled)

Other tab:
Remove silence = checkmarked (though this is mainly for mp3's etc)
Cut Off = -40 (setting this too low, eg. -15 will cut off too much and could cause a mental gap effect, ie. it will overlap into the music a bit; whereas if you set cut-off too high, then you might as well just uncheck "remove silence" instead)

This produces perfect gapless cd playback for me.

@RaveN-FH-
I can't seem to reproduce that. Anyone else?
Any 3rd-party plugins installed?
Old 24th October 2003, 23:56   #216
rlevis

There is no status bar at the botton of the playlist editor showing the number of tracks and total time. Is this an accident? These details are necessary, particular for DJ's and radio/internet stations.

Ross.
Old 25th October 2003, 00:30   #217
anton525

Send a message via ICQ to anton525
Quote:

btw, it seems to be the other way round with me, probably because my in_cdda is using ASPI layer ("use sonic engine" unchecked)

And, all of a sudden, my problem resolved By simple unchecking "use sonic engine"! I have ASPI interface installed, so all is fine now.
Old 25th October 2003, 00:37   #218
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@rlevis

Re: total playlist time

That is not a bug. Again, it's an unimplemented feature.

Default Modern Skin now has this feature as from the latest internal beta2 build.

Other 3rd-party modern skin authors will need to implement it later

Note: when Winamp3 v1.0 was released, this feature still wasn't implemented, which is why the skins don't utilize it . . . though the feature is actually implemented in the last internal developer build (#499) of Winamp3 . . .

All classic skins still have this feature.

@anton525
Yay!
Old 25th October 2003, 06:42   #219
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by rlevis
There is no status bar at the botton of the playlist editor showing the number of tracks and total time. Is this an accident? These details are necessary, particular for DJ's and radio/internet stations.

Ross.
This is IN BETA 2

it didn't make it in for beta 1.
Old 25th October 2003, 06:46   #220
D&B
Banned

Do the loyal users get to play with the mythical beta 2?
Old 25th October 2003, 07:40   #221
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
Originally posted by Cif
I have some .OGG files with a lot of logical Stream Info, but WinAmp show only the first in Song Title bar and playlist. If u see the file info u can see all the logical stream. In Winamp 2 it changed correctly.
Not sure if I understand what you mean here . . .
Could it have anything to do with "Advanced Title Format" being enabled in:
Prefs -> Titles?

@ badrad
maybe . . .
Old 25th October 2003, 09:11   #222
Ian_C

Quote:
originally posted by DJ Egg

I could be wrong, but I don't think in_cdda supports SPTI
(native WinNT/Win32 SCSI pass-through interface). If I'm right, then this is not a bug, it's a currently unimplemented feature (which I think is meant to be coming...) ?!

It does support ASPI though (Win2k/XP require wnaspi32.dll in System32 dir), so it'll fall back to that if you uncheck "use sonic engine".

I can't seem to get true gapless cd playback with Sonic Engine, so yes, that could well be deemed as a bug or unimplemented feature . . . ?!
Just to confirm what anton525 has found by unchecking "use sonic engine" I also now have true gapless playback.

Thanks for all your help
Old 25th October 2003, 09:49   #223
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
Originally posted by badrad
Do the loyal users get to play with the mythical beta 2?
Only the loyal beta testers.
Old 25th October 2003, 14:55   #224
mhead_03

ok, this is a weird problem that has happened twice to me, when im just browsing the web, on msn etc. the attached error message comes up 75 times, before saying the usual xp "this program has encountered a problem and needs to close"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg major problem.jpg (13.2 KB, 200 views)
Old 25th October 2003, 20:18   #225
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

known issue, including fix
Old 25th October 2003, 21:15   #226
daven

Send a message via AIM to daven Send a message via Yahoo to daven
@djegg

ok re: what I described and you replied to ages ago:

1.) Yeah, the add library>media scan add folder dialog does work off cwd, so if you change the cwd by adding another track to winamp using the normal add>file function then that directory will update for the media scan folder.

However, I think that either:
-As a basic fix: the media scan folder should update the cwd entry in winamp.ini

-But, that does suck a bit as it would make more sense to create a separate dir for the media scan; because generally (at least for me, and I would have thought for other people) I will be loading music files for the playlist (as this is the most common use for cwd) from one folder, but entire directories probably some trees up the folder structure.

Also, when I am first setting up this feature, if I want to add 4 directories that are in a particular folder (and there are more than 4 directories in that folder so I cannot just add the root folder as that will add unwanted entries) it is a pain to keep having to navigate back from where my last metallica track is to a tree higher up I want to add to the media scanner.
aaagh make sense? sounds very complicated to me and i wrote it...

2.) Good, will be fixed sometime then.

3.) Yeah the problem does not occur on my friends computer. I can't work out why on earth its happening to me, particuarly as it only happens when the video window is 'rolled closed' and not when it 'rolls open' (regardless of whether it opens upwards or downwards). Where I'm going with this is if the video window is set to open upwards, then when opening it, the roll effect is to roll upwards, and it animates fine.

But if the window is set to open downwards, then when i close the video section, the roll effect is to roll upwards, and the animation does not work properly.

4.) Excellent!

5.) Yay! Will it have a variable speed slider (with presets?)?

I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
Old 26th October 2003, 07:58   #227
Mo' Shock

Send a message via AIM to Mo' Shock
Audio Glitch

No matter what song I play, it does this. At the very end of the song, it sounds like it rewinds a second, and then plays the last second over again. So I hear the last second twice. It's extremely annoying and makes it impossible for one song to flow into the next. Any help??

Sum System Specs:

Windows XP Professional
P4 2.4CGHz Processor
1 GB DDR Ram
Audigy 2 Soundcard
Creative Labs 6.1 Speakers
Old 26th October 2003, 09:04   #228
Squee_22

I am using the very popular mmd3 winamp3 skin and whenever I go into windowshade mode or launch the player in windowshade, winamp goes "always on top" and I have to deactivate it. I would like if It remembered that I hate always on top.
Old 26th October 2003, 15:52   #229
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Squee_22
Not a bug
There's a CFG button in mmd3 windowshade
(the last button on the right-hand side)
Click it, and uncheck "always on top"

@Mo' Shock
Can't reproduce
What file formats are you playing?
If Audio CD's, see posts by sebt, Ian_C, anton525 and me above.
Which Output plugin? (does it happen with both DirectSound & WaveOut?)
Any 3rd-party plugins?

@daven
1. noted
3. weird
5. lol (one mode only at the mo, but I'm working on the slider & presets)
Old 26th October 2003, 16:21   #230
Mo' Shock

Previous Post:
No matter what song I play, it does this. At the very end of the song, it sounds like it rewinds a second, and then plays the last second over again. So I hear the last second twice. It's extremely annoying and makes it impossible for one song to flow into the next.

More Information:
This only occurs when I'm playing Audio CD's ONLY.
It happens with both DirectSound & WaveOut.
I'm not using any third-party plug-ins.
* I've messed around with every damn setting in the Output tab, and nothing has worked thus far
Old 26th October 2003, 16:26   #231
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Quote:
@Mo' Shock
What file formats are you playing?
If Audio CD's, see posts by sebt, Ian_C, anton525 and me above.
Old 26th October 2003, 16:52   #232
Enfurno

Send a message via AIM to Enfurno
well, here is the deal, while running winamp 2, or winamp 3 (which might i say hogs many more resources than 5) i can still play games and listen too music.. While running 5 when playing a game it causes my framerates too drop to phenomenal lows.. i have a fast pc, not the quickest but fast enough that this should not be an issue by any means.

specs.

Amd athlon XP 2000+
2.0 GB pc2700 ddr memory
many 100's of gigs of harddrive space.
(about 380 to be precise)
radeon 9800 pro.
etc..etc..etc..etc...
anyone have this problem or know an answer to fix it?

what i have tried
turning desktop alpha blending off (no fix)
Setting standard vis refresh rates up (no fix)
thats all i can think of too try..
reinstalling WA5 hasnt fixed the problem either.. tried 3 times.
Old 26th October 2003, 17:02   #233
Mo' Shock

DJ Egg I looked at all those posts above, and tried everything you told them to try, and I still get the same problem. No matter what I use it happens.

Also, I'd like to mind you, I do not experience this problem with Windows Media Player! It's sad to see my dear Winamp 5 fall to WMP!!

Last edited by Mo' Shock; 26th October 2003 at 18:14.
Old 26th October 2003, 21:21   #234
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
The modern skin is acting up on me. It's decided to place a gray box the size of the skin in full mode when in small mode:

http://images.viper007bond.com/modernscrewup.jpg

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Old 26th October 2003, 22:11   #235
Plague
f(caffeine){
return wasabi;
}
(Forum King)

hehe, nice rar-file in the bottomright corner
baaaaad boy

-Plague
Old 26th October 2003, 23:58   #236
Araemo

I found a bug! *Squash*

Though this is technically a 'missing feature', it's a feature that exists in winamp2(and the winamp2 skins in Winamp5). I make heavy use of ctrl-tab to change focus between playlist/main window.

If I want to use the keyboard to lower winamp volume, but when I alt-tab to winamp, the playlist is in focus, I don't want to have to resort to the mouse to change focus back to the main window. Please implement this in the modern skin engine.

I tested with both "Winamp Modern" and mmd3.. I'm assuming it's something winamp5 should provide, rather than the individual skin.
Old 27th October 2003, 00:08   #237
crazy_vag

BUG: WA5 changes master wave volume

Winamp's volume control is buggy. Where's Windows Media Player and iTunes only change the volume of their own application, Winamp changes the Master Wave Volume for my whole computer. This makes it useless for use as background during games because when I want to turn down the volume of the music, it also turns down the volume of game. So basically, you can't listen to your music with winamp at a volume lower than the game.

It also makes winamp 'un-muteable' for the times when you wanna listen to a Windows Media streaming audio.

I heard someone mention that this could be caused by sound drivers, but I don't buy that. This happens with SB Live and on-board audio, and other players don't have a problem with those drivers.

[Merged --Sawg]
Old 27th October 2003, 00:26   #238
Dazog
Moderator Alumni

Please post bugs for winamp 5 in correct thread.

Thank you.

[Merged --Sawg]
Old 27th October 2003, 01:28   #239
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

@Araemo
Those issues are fixed in latest internal build

@crazy_vag
A config issue, not a bug

RE: Winamp keeps turning my volume up/down
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=32675
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=73354

@Mo_Shock (also applies to anyone else requiring tech support)

I can't provide tech support here... beta software is not supported.

All I can say is that it is a config issue, not a bug,
because no-one else here can reproduce your exact same problem.

Try installing wnaspi32.dll (as explained & linked to above).
Make sure "Use DDE" is checked, try unchecking "use sonic engine" (cd plugin).
Note, a Winamp restart is required for changes in cd plugin config to take effect.
DirectSound config: "Other" tab: uncheck "remove silence", or increase "cut off" value (to somewhere between 40ms and higher, eg. 100ms)
Fading tab: Disable all fades ("on pause/stop" should be ok to keep enabled)
Buffering tab: Adjust sliders to taste...
Or just click "reset all"
(out_ds changes take effect when playback is restarted)

Or try WaveOut plugin instead.

Disable dsp/fx plugins, if any (select to "none")

No more tech support until 5.0 Final. Full stop.
Old 27th October 2003, 02:21   #240
gugu

On the playlist's menu "open playlists from library" (both in the normal and windowshade mode), the playlists that have & in the name don't appear correctly. If I have XP&TO, I get XPO, with the O underlined. This should be easily solved, just inserting && where it appears & in a playlist name when creating the menu or something like that.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports