Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum

View Poll Results: This any use to you?
Yup. 21 61.76%
Nope. 8 23.53%
Eh? 2 5.88%
Pie. 3 8.82%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd July 2005, 00:22   #1
mr_jrt

Send a message via ICQ to mr_jrt
Fixed Milkdrop 1.04 multimon

Hey all.

I, like many here, use a dual-head video card and want to use milkdrop with both. With the release of the source code I've been able to fix..(well maybe bodge would be a better word...) the fact that milkdrop only ever uses the primary monitor.

Now, to the best of my knowledge I'm fufilling the license by not trying to claim milkdrop as my own work , but if I need to do more would someone please let me know..I just want to share the bugfix really, especially to those without the option to compile their own.

So here it is:
http://jamie-thompson.co.uk/download..._jamie_tweaked

Dump it in your plugin's folder, and it'll share the existing ini files etc. It just adds 3 extra ini settings which the official milkdrop should just ignore.

I was right about the cause of the bug, milkdrop used the device identifier GUID that Direct3D provides. However, this is a bit of a misnomer, as this value is only unique to combinations of chipset and driver, not adaptor instances. So sayeth MSDN: "...is a unique identifier for the driver and chip set pair."

I could find no way of diferentiating unique identical adaptors, so decided to identify them not by GUID, but by the order that they are reported by Windows. This will work fine as long as the order doesn't change. Realistically, this shouldn't happen unless you change the primary monitor or add another video card.

It's not a bullet-proof solution, but it works for me, and I hope you find it useful. I'll post my source patch at some point once I've cleaned it up. It's not complex at all, the real pain was getting it to build under Visual C++ 2003. Oh well, it was an educational evening if nothing else Working out why Mr Geiss's dynamic recompilation was crashing was somewhat hair-raising, to say the least.

[edit]
Oh yes I forgot, standard disclaimer: This is just a random build of a bugfix I made. I'm sharing it with everyone with no guarentee as to its stability etc. It may eat you and/or your children. You have been warned, use at your own risk.

- Jamie
mr_jrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 01:38   #2
mr_jrt

As promised, here's the patch:

Just to clarify, this patch is for virgin Milkdrop 1.04b sources, as linked to from http://www.nullsoft.com/free/milkdrop/
Attached Files
File Type: txt jamie_tweak.patch.txt (32.1 KB, 3178 views)
Old 2nd July 2005, 04:33   #3
Eo.S.
Milkdrop Moderator

er, actually, multimonitor is not really broken. Phat and I have used it to do visualizations at a couple of parties. The trick is that in dual head mode, the 2nd window for VJ control is placed on the SAME monitor that is fullscreen, so basically it's behind milkdrop.

Here's the fix...

1- drag the windows start menu bar to your 2nd monitor [i drag winamp too].

2- Start milkdrop full screen in dual head mode.
now that your start bar is on the 2nd monitor, you can see two instances for milkdrop listed [it may take 30sec or so for the 2nd one to show up].

3- right click on the second milkdrop instance, and select "move". This will cause the mouse to pop onto the title bar of the "vj/text" window on the full screen milkdrop monitor.

4- DO NOT move the mouse until you have clicked first. Once you click, you can drag the mouse over to your second monitor and it will drag the "vj/text" window with it.

BOOYAH!! milkdrop 1.04 in properly working dual head mode. We figured this out a while ago, we've just been keepin it a bit secret =P sorry bout that....

Eo.S.
Eo.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2005, 10:47   #4
mr_jrt

A slightly less fiddley method I read many months back was just to switch the primary monitor in display settings, start the visualisation, and then switch it back. This fix just works like it's supposed to.
Old 4th July 2005, 13:18   #5
Rovastar

Send a message via AIM to Rovastar
Cool I'll go through this later. Easy multimon support is what people have been after for a while.

"Rules are for the guidance of wisemen and the obedience of fools"

Visuals - Morphyre www.Morphyre.com
Rovastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2005, 17:54   #6
fowxec

Send a message via AIM to fowxec
Thank you

Thanks so much Jamie... Fixed a bothersome issue with what I thought was my ATI AIW 7500. Now it works like it should. Very cool, you're the man!
fowxec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2005, 02:23   #7
redi jedi
Will code for food

wait a minuit.... so thats the multi-mon problem i've been hearing about?? i've had vj mode with fullscreen on my tv, and vj console on my monitor since i started messing with milkdrop, if i knew thats what the problem was i could have helped out a while ago.
i thought it had something to do with spaning the image across two screens(witch i seem to rember trying, and it not working{only on one of the screens})

Blah!
redi jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2005, 02:28   #8
|EM|Snake

Send a message via ICQ to |EM|Snake
Dude, thank you so much. Finally after two long years I can show the thousands of new presets the community has created for v1.04.

many thanks.
|EM|Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2005, 09:24   #9
cszikszoy

Re: Fixed Milkdrop 1.04 multimon

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_jrt

So here it is:

Dump it in your plugin's folder, and it'll share the existing ini files etc. It just adds 3 extra ini settings which the official milkdrop should just ignore.
Simply put that file inside \winamp\plugins?
cszikszoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2005, 13:43   #10
mr_jrt

No, that's just an 7zip-compressed archive file. The plugin is the .dll file inside the file. But, yes, just put the .dll file in the winamp/plugins directory.

Old 4th December 2005, 17:07   #11
fredboy00

[Bump]

+ All hail Jamie

Thanks a lot for a great fix. And no it hasn't eaten my kids - but then i don't have any; so perhaps if you do have beautiful offspring of your own beware...

moderators - could i request that a link is placed from the common faults pages to this fix or something similar of your own creation?

regards,
Michael
fredboy00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 07:46   #12
ceevee

It works great. Thanks Jaime.
ceevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 00:45   #13
blackmajik2021

Send a message via AIM to blackmajik2021 Send a message via Yahoo to blackmajik2021
maybe im doing something wrong but this dosent work for me. im on a radeon x850pro. i did everything exactly ass you said. im using 1.04b i downloaded the patch fix and put it in the same place as the tweaked vers plugin. i went to select plugins and selected your version. restarted winamp. and still it dosent show up on my 2nd moniter. =(
blackmajik2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2006, 05:53   #14
mccoy178

Will this switch my visualization to the second monitor?

Will this plugin fix allow me to view the milkdrop visualization on my second monitor only? I have a jukebox program that does not use winamp, but it does have dual monitor support. I am wondering how to get this to run full screen on the second monitor only, as the jukebox program takes up the entire first screen. I can use Winamp with the jukebox program by using the linein url. Thanks for any help fellas.

Freebox Jukebox Program Homesite

mccoy178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2006, 03:27   #15
mccoy178

I did get it to work

It took awhile for the download to show up in my visualizations folder. It worked like a champ! Thanks again man, it's the tits!
mccoy178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2006, 21:23   #16
jdub2027

Is there anywhere else to download this as the link seems to be broken? Also, what is the txt file for in the second post? Thanks!
jdub2027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2006, 13:54   #17
nferrin

Thanks Jamie.

When using the mod though I have to configure it to use monitor #2 when using physical monitor #3, I think it is because I have monitor #2 disabled in windows. So physical monitors 1,3,4 correspond to monitors 1,2,3 in the config.
nferrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 10:15   #18
bytemastr

Re: Fixed Milkdrop 1.04 multimon

Anyone still have this laying around? The original site is down, archive.org was no help, nor Google, but I'd like to give it a shot... 1.05 beta6 from winamp.us doesn't do the right thing for multimon.

1.03 does, but it doesn't support the newest presets... Any help would be appreciated!

Quote:
Originally posted by mr_jrt
Hey all.

I, like many here, use a dual-head video card and want to use milkdrop with both. With the release of the source code I've been able to fix..(well maybe bodge would be a better word...) the fact that milkdrop only ever uses the primary monitor.

Now, to the best of my knowledge I'm fufilling the license by not trying to claim milkdrop as my own work , but if I need to do more would someone please let me know..I just want to share the bugfix really, especially to those without the option to compile their own.

So here it is:

I was right about the cause of the bug, milkdrop used the device identifier GUID that Direct3D provides. However, this is a bit of a misnomer, as this value is only unique to combinations of chipset and driver, not adaptor instances. So sayeth MSDN: "...is a unique identifier for the driver and chip set pair."

I could find no way of diferentiating unique identical adaptors, so decided to identify them not by GUID, but by the order that they are reported by Windows. This will work fine as long as the order doesn't change. Realistically, this shouldn't happen unless you change the primary monitor or add another video card.

It's not a bullet-proof solution, but it works for me, and I hope you find it useful. I'll post my source patch at some point once I've cleaned it up. It's not complex at all, the real pain was getting it to build under Visual C++ 2003. Oh well, it was an educational evening if nothing else Working out why Mr Geiss's dynamic recompilation was crashing was somewhat hair-raising, to say the least.

[edit]
Oh yes I forgot, standard disclaimer: This is just a random build of a bugfix I made. I'm sharing it with everyone with no guarentee as to its stability etc. It may eat you and/or your children. You have been warned, use at your own risk.

- Jamie
bytemastr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2006, 15:37   #19
redi jedi
Will code for food

try this one, see if it works, i'm working on integrating that update into myown, this is kinda an experimental version, but it should work fine(as long as you dont envoke the experimental part, witch apperently isnt easy to do so dont worry about it)

if it works plese post back here, thank you
http://milkdrop.us/vis_milkdrop105.zip

Blah!
Old 24th September 2006, 09:40   #20
mr_jrt

Whoops!

Yo. Yeah, my site had some.....difficulties which killed my php (and thus the download script) stone dead. Fixed now, anyways.
Old 8th October 2006, 14:29   #21
Xusqui

None of the posted actualizations worked for me

Don't know if I do it right:

I go to the config windows, push "DualHead" and select "span both screens" in both lists

I have a side to side two monitor display computer with an nVidia GeForce 6800.

Any idea?

Thnx in advance!
Xusqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2006, 07:34   #22
tetatdo

I cant get it to work either. Do you have to use fake fullscreen mode for this?

I run milkdrop on one screen with the start menu on the other unused monitor, I do the whole moving thing on the VJ screen and it doesnt work. I've waited 10 minutes and not seen a 2nd instance of milkdrop come up so that I can move it..

wtf?
tetatdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 21:51   #23
xgromx

It fixed my problem great! But on the other hand it created a new problem when running it. When milkdrop is running fullscreen on the second monitor i can't use my playlist or medialibrary in winamp. you can see the windows and you can use the winamp player but you can't use the other windows at all, even the options window.

Any Ideas?
xgromx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2007, 21:35   #24
mr_jrt

Here's a repost of the URL as the Winamp forums are being...weird and blocking URLs? Who knows....

http://jamie-thompson.co.uk/download?name=vis_milk_jamie_tweaked

[edit]
Well that's a load of rubbish...the forums block URLs. What's the ruddy point of the URL markup in the post editor then! Arrgh! Stupidity!

You know the drill. Copy the text into your address bar to download, if the server is actually up (it's having hardware issues, so I'd advise someone mirroring it)
Old 31st January 2007, 05:11   #25
redi jedi
Will code for food

Mirrored: milkdrop.us/vis_milk_jamie_tweaked.zip

Blah!
Old 21st March 2007, 22:35   #26
Laubtrottl

so, erm i seriously tried everything out to get my winamp to go into dualhead mode but nothing worked out
erm i use a PC with a normal monitor and a television and both are working without any problems as extended desktop or whatever you may call it in english. so i put the jamietweak.patch into the right dierctory to the milk.dll
it didn't work out nothing changed, still only one monitor was showing milkdrop.
then i downloaded the new milkdrop beta and installed it as milk.dll and gues what- nothing changed
so i really do not know what to do know...
i tried my best to get it working have you got any ideas or hints for me?
thanks a lot
Laubtrottl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2007, 21:19   #27
mr_jrt

The patch file will do you no good if you're not compiling your own version. I suspect you probably want just the pre-compiled dll file.

Extract it, and dump it in your plugins folder and once you go to the list of visualisation plugins in winamp it should be fairly obvious where to go from there.
Old 24th March 2007, 10:23   #28
Laubtrottl

yeah okay and how do i compile my own version?
anyway, i do not have a compiler that fixes so where do i get the pre-compiled dll file from?
Laubtrottl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 16:04   #29
ajasax

Send a message via AIM to ajasax
Awesome! Exactly what I was looking for! I just started using my TV as a visualization monitor and couldn't get it to work. This does exactly as I had in mind! Thanks for the hard work!
ajasax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 22:47   #30
TomCatz

Hi!

I am using the new milkdrop v2.0 that is implemented in the new winamp 5.5. Here this problem with multimon is fixed it seems and it is working ALMOST fine! Just one thing that i see as a problem and just want to ask you guys here what could be causing it and what i maybe can do to prevent it!

I have two screens! 1 viewsonic VX924 19" LCD pc-screen and 1 samsung 40" LCD-TV! I run both these two on a dualheaded graphics card, nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX. Else i have a AMD XP 6000+ dual core 3.0 GHz, 4 GB RAM(only 3 of them is read in XP though!) and 3 x Western Digital drives, 120 GB, 150 GB(Raptor, 10 000 RPM) and a 200 GB. A plextor PX16SA dvd-burner and an creative X-FI soundblaster elite soundcard.

My problem is when i am using milkdrop in my secondary screen(samsung-tv), it occasionally blinks a lot on my primary screen(viewsonic) under some of the presets! I had the same problem with the older milkdrop too, so i had hoped it would be fixed in this new one... But i was obviousley wrong!

Is there anyone in here that would know of any reason why this is happening? and more important what i can do to prevent it from happening any more?

Tom
TomCatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 06:49   #31
Clancy

If you have a dual monitor setup with your desktop extended to the second one rather than a clone of the 'primary', you can set milkdrop to display full screen on the second monitor, without switching your primary and secondary monitors around.

Open milk2.ini* in notepad (or similar), about line 16 there will be a line saying
Quote:
adapter_devicename_fullscreen=\\.\DISPLAY1
change the display to DISPLAY2, save and exit.

Now you can have winamp, the vj box and all other windows controls available on your primary monitory, along with milkdrop in window mode. When you go full screen milkdrop will switch to your secondary monitory, in true not fake full screen.

*in the User > Application Data > Winamp > plugins directory
Clancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2008, 03:07   #32
Clancy

FFS will not work with VISTA.

The reason is that Vista does not support stretching of the desktop onto the second monitor. It does 'extend' which has much of the same functionality (side by side desktops, drag and drop etc between them) but the video card is handling each monitor seperately. So with 'extended desktop' windows sees the 2 monitors as 2 side by side desktops instead of one double width desktop.

FFS works by using half of the double width desktop you get with a stretched desktop, it doesn't do anything at all with an extended desktop.

There's a workaround for Milkdrop as I posted above.
Old 2nd February 2008, 23:34   #33
SystemError

Quote:
Originally posted by Clancy
If you have a dual monitor setup with your desktop extended to the second one rather than a clone of the 'primary', you can set milkdrop to display full screen on the second monitor, without switching your primary and secondary monitors around.

Open milk2.ini* in notepad (or similar), about line 16 there will be a line saying

change the display to DISPLAY2, save and exit.

Now you can have winamp, the vj box and all other windows controls available on your primary monitory, along with milkdrop in window mode. When you go full screen milkdrop will switch to your secondary monitory, in true not fake full screen.

*in the User > Application Data > Winamp > plugins directory
This is for MilkDrop 2 only?

I have a second monitor, which is an exetension of my primary display, and I still can't make MilkDrop go fullscreen on the second display.
SystemError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2008, 01:28   #34
Daybreak

I've tried everything suggested here with zero results.

My system specs are: win xp pro, asus ti4200 video card with most recent driver, 3.2 ghz cpu, 4 gigs ram. I'm currently using winamp 5.52.

Primary monitor is: Sony SDM-P234/B 23" at 1920x1200.

Secondary monitor is: HannsG JC199D 19" at 1280x1024.

I can't get both monitors to display milkdrop at the same time. How can I fix this?
Daybreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2008, 03:24   #35
Clancy

Quote:
Originally posted by SystemError
This is for MilkDrop 2 only?

I have a second monitor, which is an exetension of my primary display, and I still can't make MilkDrop go fullscreen on the second display.
I never tried milkdrop 1.4 since I only got into this late last year. It might work but you'd presumably need the milk.ini file instead of the milk2.ini file. If it has a line about which monitor to use for full screen it'd expect it would.

One thing to watch out for is that (on my system at least) vista changes the fullscreen monitor id in the ini file back to #1 every now and then, so far I've not been able to detect a pattern to it.

eta: if you meant other visualisations - I know it won't work with monkey, I've not looked at any of the others. Check out the ini file and give it a go if the fullscreen monitor is specifically identified.

Quote:
Originally posted by Daybreak
I can't get both monitors to display milkdrop at the same time. How can I fix this?
To my understanding the only way under vista would be to clone your primary to the second monitor - both would show the same thing including milkdrop full screen when you run it. You would of course have to be running them both on the same setting but windows should handle that for you. You'd loose the extended desktop though and the ability to do any VJ stuff without your audience seeing what you're doing.

eta: if you're running xp you could try stretch instead of extend and don't use the 'fake full screen' mode. If you did that I'd expect full screen to show on both monitors but possibly half on each rather than one being a duplicate of the other. Not having xp I can't check that.
Old 14th February 2008, 02:42   #36
Daybreak

Quote:
Originally posted by Clancy To my understanding the only way under vista would be to clone your primary to the second monitor - both would show the same thing including milkdrop full screen when you run it. You would of course have to be running them both on the same setting but windows should handle that for you. You'd loose the extended desktop though and the ability to do any VJ stuff without your audience seeing what you're doing.

eta: if you're running xp you could try stretch instead of extend and don't use the 'fake full screen' mode. If you did that I'd expect full screen to show on both monitors but possibly half on each rather than one being a duplicate of the other. Not having xp I can't check that.
Thanks for the reply.

I've already had it working with clone mode in XP. What I'm really after here is a working dualview mode in XP.
Old 15th February 2008, 02:02   #37
Clancy

AFAIK that can't be done with the code as it is. I suppose one could try having 2 line for the fullscreen monitor in the milk2.ini file, one for each monitor. I suspect that'd just give it indigestion.
Old 15th February 2008, 10:38   #38
Daybreak

Quote:
I suppose one could try having 2 line for the fullscreen monitor in the milk2.ini file, one for each monitor. I suspect that'd just give it indigestion.
I'll try it and post back with the results.
Old 17th February 2008, 12:10   #39
JSMain

Hey everyone!

Remember this problem?

I recently upgraded to a new ATI HD3870 video card, and it appears this problem hasreturned. It sees the second display in the config dialog, but it will not stick. If I set to display 2, and close, then re open, it's set at display 1. This did not occur with my ATI x1600 card, and does not occur with milkdrop version 1.03. 1.04, 1.05 beta 5, and beta 6 are all broken with this card apparently.

Anyone having this card able to make the change to fix this?

If mildrop 2 was stand alone, I'd probably be using it, but as it isn't, and requires Winamp to run, I can't use it like I can the legacy winamp.
JSMain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2008, 13:49   #40
Daybreak

Quote:
I suppose one could try having 2 line for the fullscreen monitor in the milk2.ini file, one for each monitor. I suspect that'd just give it indigestion.
Ok, I added a second 'adapter_devicename_fullscreen' line into the milk2.ini with 'DISPLAY2' as the main monitor and it doesn't work. It only shows up on the primary.

What I think may work though is to have a duplicate milk2.ini named milk2b.ini with my secondary monitor named as the primary but I need to find where milkdrop points to the milk2.ini initially. Any ideas?
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Visualizations > MilkDrop > MilkDrop Troubleshooting Forum