Old 15th October 2006, 12:07   #1
davemartin

5.3 hijacks my master volume.

Since upgrading to V5.3 I have noticed that if I am listening to another source of sound via any other player and mute winamp or turn it's volume down, that it mutes the other player as well. Now seeing as I had just recently done a fresh re-install of win XP SP2 on my main pc, I suspected the audio drivers.
But no not that, I run 3 other pcs all using win XP pro SP2 and the same thing was happening on them.
Uninstalling V5.3 and re-installing V5.24 cures the problem.
Putting V5.3 back on over the top brings the problem back as does a clean install of V5.3.

I haven't seen this mentioned else where and it does seem to be a bug.

Dave.

I just realised that maybe I should have posted this in this other thread, "Post All Winamp 5.3 Core Bug Reports In This Thread".
If so I don't mind if it is moved.
Old 15th October 2006, 12:39   #2
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Nope, I can't reproduce this.

Are you using DirectSound Output (default & recommended under Win2k/XP, as long as you don't uncheck it in the installer options), or WaveOut Output (Prefs > Plugins > Output: hi-lited plugin)?

What file formats are you playing? mp3, wav, ogg, wma, m4a, cda, other?
Does it happen with all formats?

Was this a clean install of 5.3 + separate 5.3a update pack?
Using any 3rd-party plugins?

Did you enable 'allow 24bit' in Prefs > Playback?
If so, does it still occur with it unchecked (default setting)?
Does the sound card/chip fully support 24bit?

[EDIT]

Yeah, at a guess you're using WaveOut Output, not DirectSound Output.
I'll have to check with 5.24 and earlier, but I reckon it's probably expected behaviour with WaveOut Output... we shall see...

[EDIT2]
Yup, it's the same in 5.24 with out_wave. Switch to out_ds instead.
Old 15th October 2006, 18:52   #3
davemartin

I'll have to check out all your suggestions.
Maybe I'm being picky but I would have not expected to have to change any settings when upgrading from one version to another!
If thats the case it would have been nice to have been forwarned.
Although I did spend a lot of time changing settings on various plugins before the uninstall and clean installs, to no avail.
Basically V 5.24 behaves as expected with no 3rd party plugins but V5.3 doesn't.

Just tried your suggestion as per your (edit1) but it makes no difference in either version and I tried it on all 4 PCs (that took some time).

Dave
Old 15th October 2006, 20:04   #4
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Sorry, but we cannot reproduce the problem when using DirectSound Output, which is the default Output plugin under Win2k/XP.
Old 15th October 2006, 20:22   #5
Koopa
16-Bit Moderator

DirectSound always uses it's own volume setting, it will never touch the system volume, cannot reproduce your problem.

Take a look at the DirectSound Output FAQ
Old 16th October 2006, 05:44   #6
davemartin

Right I've found it. Although I thought I'd done a clean install it appears the plugins folder was left and in it was SHOUTcast source plugin V 1.9.0 wich came from here,
http://www.shoutcast.com/download/br...l#plugdownload
Even when this is not active it causes the problems I described, It didn't do this in V5.24.
Uninstalling it cures the problem but as I mainly use winamp for streaming via that plugin its not really a solution.

Dave.
Old 16th October 2006, 06:35   #7
davemartin

No scrap that, I'm at work now and I've just installed V5.3 on my work PC, its never had winamp on it before, no third party plugins just the standard download and its doing the same as my ones at home.
I play some music via winamp, stream or file,then start WMP10 and play a file and muting the winamp mutes the WMP.
Winamp has to be playing if not hitting mute or moving volume has no effect.
This is getting stranger and stranger.

Dave.
Old 16th October 2006, 10:51   #8
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Look, can you please confirm that DirectSound Output is your active (hi-lighted) Output plugin in Winamp > Prefs > Plugins > Output, and not WaveOut?
Old 16th October 2006, 11:44   #9
davemartin

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Look, can you please confirm that DirectSound Output is your active (hi-lighted) Output plugin in Winamp > Prefs > Plugins > Output, and not WaveOut?
Right I think we've got to the bottom of this, finally.
When you first install V5.24 by default DirectSound is highlighted, but on any type of V5.3 install that I have done waveout output has been highlighted by default.
If I select DirectSound and restart the song all is ok but upon shutting down and then restarting Winamp waveout output is highlighted again!?
Now I'm not stupid, I've been using winamp in various guises for 5 years and until I got this version I had never encountered this problem.
Maybe it's not a bug but it's been bugging me, I've installed on 7 different PC's now, 3 that have never seen Winamp before, and I get the same results on all of them.

Look it's not stopping me from using Winamp for what I want, I just have to remember to highlight DirectSound every time.
I think this might be the last I say on the subject.

Dave.
Old 16th October 2006, 11:48   #10
Rocker
Hiding in plain sight (mod)

nobody in the whole world encounters your problem.... thats the problem.

are you using the full installer? and installing everything as default?. ie... next next next next finish.

are you installing on limited accounts? or admin accounts in windows?
Old 16th October 2006, 12:40   #11
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Sounds to me like either your winamp.ini has the read-only attribute
so if the outname= setting under the [winamp] section is set to:
outname=out_wave.dll
then Winamp will always start with out_wave active,
because no settings changes will ever be saved.

If that's the case, then right-click winamp.ini (root Winamp dir), select 'properties', and uncheck 'read-only'.

Or, if that's not the cause, then some external cleanup app (eg. Window Washer, or Tracks Eraser) is deleting winamp.ini every time you close Winamp. When a new winamp.ini is created then yes, out_wave may well be set as the default Output plugin under all OS'es.

If this is the case, then you need to add Winamp (probably the entire Winamp folder) to said app's exclusion list.
Old 16th October 2006, 19:26   #12
davemartin

Bugged off!!

Every time I installed a instance of Winamp V5.3 I did so by downloading the full upgrade exe file from here,
http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp/...namp53_pro.exe
I installed as per default conditions.
I did not reconfigure any thing.
I did not add any thing, ie no third party plugins.
I used 3 ISPs.
I installed to 7 different PC's.
The only things all installs had in common were,
1)They all run either winXP Home SP2 or winXP proSP2.
2)I installed Winamp V5,3 on them.
3)I breathed on them.

Apart from that they are as different as chalk and cheese.

Dave
Old 16th October 2006, 20:13   #13
DJ Egg
Techorator
Winamp & SHOUTcast Team

Did you see/read my last post at all?

We cannot reproduce the problem.

Under WinXP, out_ds is the default output plugin if winamp is installed by running the installer, not out_wave.

On upgrades, ie. installing straight on top of the previous version, whatever output plugin was active before will still be the same output plugin.

On closing and restarting Winamp, the same Output plugin is still active, ie. if out_ds was active on close then it is still active on restart... unless you meet one of the conditions in my previous post, which you seemed to have completely ignored.
Old 10th November 2006, 16:50   #14
davemartin

Quote:
Originally posted by DJ Egg
Did you see/read my last post at all?

We cannot reproduce the problem.

Under WinXP, out_ds is the default output plugin if winamp is installed by running the installer, not out_wave.

On upgrades, ie. installing straight on top of the previous version, whatever output plugin was active before will still be the same output plugin.

On closing and restarting Winamp, the same Output plugin is still active, ie. if out_ds was active on close then it is still active on restart... unless you meet one of the conditions in my previous post, which you seemed to have completely ignored.
You really shouldn't get so stressed out.
I didn't ignore any of your previous posts, I did everything you said but made no difference.

The good news is that a fresh install of 5.31 cleared the problem, which is good as I would have had to go back to 5.24 otherwise.
I know that none of my problems could be repeated by others, that matters not now that 5.31 doesn't do it!
So problem resolved, end of story!

Dave.
Closed Thread
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Bug Reports