Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support

Old 6th August 2012, 00:25   #1
onesnzeros

DirectSound driver keeps defaulting to Primary Sound Driver

Hi theres,

Each time I load Winamp and try to play a song, I get an error...
"Device not found. Please select another device in configuration. Error code: 88780078"
OR...
Winamp 'randomly' picks an output from the list of outputs (which I have narrowed down now by disabling all but one in Windows).

It's a pain having to load the correct driver each time I open Winamp.
I'm guessing Winamp (dirsect sound) is just using whichever output Windows is using as default, but Windows is actually using the correct stereo pair, so...?

I use an RME Fireface 400 soundcard, Windows 7 x64, all current important updates installed... Winamp is 5.63... The only plugins I have installed is the demo for Whitecap, however I DO have CoreAVC, ffdshow and Haai Media Splitter installed on this machine.

Does anyone know any fix or suggest a workaround for this issue?...

Thank you!
onesnzeros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 04:30   #2
Aminifu
Forum King

Have you actually used the DirectSound plug-in configuration dialog to select the output device on the device tab?

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Windows 10 Home 64-bit v1809 desktop - Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system
Aminifu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 12:59   #3
onesnzeros

yes, I need to do this each time I load Winamp. This is my gripe.
Old 8th August 2012, 02:28   #4
Aminifu
Forum King

To be clear, are you are saying that you start WA and select your RME Fireface 400 soundcard in the DirectSound plug-in configuration dialog's device tab, then shutdown WA and restart it and the DirectSound plug-in configuration dialog's device tab has changed to "default" or some other device instead of the Fireface 400.

If this is the case, then I suggest you check your firewire driver in the Windows device manager for any indication of problems. Try changing it to the legacy firewire driver rather than the native Windows firewire driver (and reboot) to see if that makes a difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4JfbDW6AtI

Winamp Pro v5.666.3516 fully-patched - Komodo X Touchscreen v1.0 by Victhor skin
Old 8th August 2012, 08:33   #5
onesnzeros

Thanks heaps for that suggestion.
It seems to be working, i will check over the next day or so, and get back to you.

Hopefully it won't affect the operation of my ASIO drivers or anything like that, the computer is 80% used for Cubase...

Thanks again
Old 10th August 2012, 04:21   #6
onesnzeros

For a short while I thought the problem was solved, but it's still hapening unfortunately.
Old 10th August 2012, 12:14   #7
Aminifu
Forum King

There seems to be something that you, or some software you are using, are doing to interfere with WA's ability to detect the Fireface 400.

Are you disconnecting and reconnecting it without rebooting?

What software app(s) are you running during or between WA uses when WA fails to connect to the Fireface? Maybe an app is taking exclusive use of the Fireface and not releasing it correctly.

Is your BIOS setup correctly to enable your Firewire port? Check your motherboard manual.

It may be helpful to provide the detailed info requested in the Troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum's first page.

Old 12th November 2015, 20:45   #8
Bentricky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aminifu View Post
Have you actually used the DirectSound plug-in configuration dialog to select the output device on the device tab?

This worked for me...thanks

How I did it:

Double click "Nullsoft Directsound Output v2.64" in the output plug-ins config.
In the settings window click the drop-down menu and select output device.
Mine was "2. Speakers..."

All of this, of course, after a restart. After the fresh install of Win10 I didn't even have any output devices before the good old "Off and on again".
Bentricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Winamp > Winamp Technical Support