Old 11th December 2003, 00:26   #1
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Really need help - ex boyfriend harassing me

Hi everyone.

I broke up with this guy that I had been dating for a year 6 months ago. He was very very verbally abusive to me and a little physically abusive.

He keeps calling me and yelling at me. He acuses me of things that I never did. I really think he has mental problems (manic depressive).

I just dont know what to do. He called me 15 + times today and sent me 5 faxes. I dont answer the phone most of the time he calls. Sometimes I am really busy and dont look at the caller id or it comes up unknown number and I pick it up. He immediately yells at me. He is smart enough to make his faxes non-threatening. He has threatened to call my clients and tell them that I am a terrible person and basically tell them lies. He does not have any proof to back up his lies, but it could put doubt in their heads and hurt my business. I asked him today what he wants from me. He said nothing at all, I dont want to be in a relationship with you, I dont want anything from you. I tell him not to call me, email me, or fax me anymore.

He went as far as a few weeks ago checking my voicemail on my cell phone and erasing important business messages that I had kept. (I dont have any solid proof that he did it).

I have called my cell phone company and they wont put a block on his phone number. I have called the phone company and they said the same because he could just call from a different number. I went to the police and they wont let me get a restraining order against him because up to this point it is nothing but threats and he has not acted on them.

I have such a migraine headache because of him and I dont know what to do at this point.

Any ideas?

Thank you for reading this.

~ Missy
missyob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 00:30   #2
cyu
Major Dude

Send a message via AIM to cyu Send a message via Yahoo to cyu
get a gun hands down.... Sorry to hear about that missy.
cyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 00:32   #3
Joel
Debian user
(Forum King)

Call the police.... that will show him

* PC: Intel Core 2 DUO E6550 @ 2.33 GHz with 2 GB RAM: Archlinux-i686 with MATE.
* Laptop: Intel Core 2 DUO T6600 @ 2.20 GHz with 4 GB RAM: Archlinux-x86-64 with MATE.

Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 00:42   #4
missyob
Angel of Winamp

I have called the police. They wont do anything about it because he has "not done anything wrong". There is nothing against the law with just calling someone and saying words - even threatening ones. Basically they told me that it is like "sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me". Until he actually comes here and hurts me they wont do anything.

~ Missy
Old 11th December 2003, 00:43   #5
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

Here's what you do, each time he calls you, you call the cops immediately afterwards. Try to get the same dispatcher/detective each time. Get that person's name and try to write down the times that your ex called and you call the cops. Harrassment over the phone is still harrassment and the local police department could get into a lot of trouble for basically brushing you off.

If calling the local precint doesn't get some results (as in some investigation), each time he calls, call 911! That department has to keep call logs in situation like this.

Laws have been passed to aid victims as yourself, because you are now a victim, and I just remembered something. He's stalking you. Keep all fax messages from him, even if they are in a non-threatning tone. Because you have repeatedly told him to leave you alone, it's a combination of harrassment and stalking. The stalking part ups the ante with the law. Get him on that!
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 00:45   #6
psyfive
Forum King

get a tape recorder and record the phone calls.
psyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 00:47   #7
zootm
Forum King

shyshy is right. persistant harassment is a crime most places.

also, i would consider changing your number.

zootm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 00:55   #8
White Raven
Little Winged One

Harassment is definitely a crime, it's called STALKING.
He is causing you stress. He is being a fuckhead.
Change your phone number and cell number. Make your number an unlisted one, get him out of your life.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:04   #9
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by psyfive
get a tape recorder and record the phone calls.
Don't do this. It can't be used as evidence in any court, as he does not know that you are recording it. In order for a recording to be entered into court, it must be stated on the tape that all parties know they are being recorded.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:09   #10
psyfive
Forum King

untrue.

In order for a tape to be admissable in court at least ONE party must give consent. If she is the one doing the recording then I would assume that she is giving her consent thus legally admissable.

[added]have a look at this site.[/added]

[added more]
Quote:
Thirty-eight states and the District of Columbia permit individuals to record conversations to which they are a party without informing the other parties that they are doing so. These laws are referred to as "one-party consent" statutes, and as long as you are a party to the conversation, it is legal for you to record it.
[/added more]

[added even more]
New York is one of those 38 states
[/added even more]
psyfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:14   #11
Bizznatch
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to Bizznatch
my girlfriend had this happen to her before we met, she easily got a restraining order on the asshole, never saw him again.
Bizznatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:18   #12
Fenix426

Send a message via AIM to Fenix426
psyfive is probably right. If i was there i would give him a piece of my mind(Considering my vocab that might make him shutup but if not looks like we might have trouble). White Rayven is also right. Its Stalking and I could do some research in to the harassment/recorder stuff, if you give me your state. Easy enough? Just remeber record everything. Once I tell you if its legal or not call the police and have him put on trial. For now just hang in there and if all else just hang up when he calls and ignore the faxes. Hopefully your clients wont be too doubtfull and by then you might be able to file charges for harassment. I just hope everything turns out all right.
Good Luck, and Best Wishes
Fenix
Fenix426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:18   #13
Bazman63
Major Dude

I hate people like that. So, so immature and cowerdly. So far you seem to have done the right things in telling the police, the phone companies etc.

I'm not too hot on US law, but I do believe that if you recorded the phone calls you may be able to present them to the police as "evidence" of harrasment. That might make them instigate an investigation. Or perhaps you could contact a lawyer,(i know, expensive), maybe you can get some sort of private prosecution going.

I think legal advice might be best, right now.

(Does he have an email address? Just out of curiosity)

'In this country, it takes all the running you can do to stay in one place.'"
Bazman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:28   #14
Fickle
Butterknife of Justice
(Forum King)

Quote:
Originally posted by psyfive
untrue.

In order for a tape to be admissable in court at least ONE party must give consent. If she is the one doing the recording then I would assume that she is giving her consent thus legally admissable.

[added]have a look at this site.[/added]

[added more][/added more]

[added even more]
New York is one of those 38 states
[/added even more]
Okay, sorry. I was under the impression that it wasn't legal.

Go read a book without pictures
pabook? | Look, a blog! | Buy Stuff I Wrote
Fickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:30   #15
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

Send Chev round. He'll sort him out.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:30   #16
ertmann|CPH
Forum Viking
(Forum King)

offcourse I only know the situation from what you've described, and that's not very detailed, but here's what i think you should do.

Next time he calls, take a long deep breath, speak calmly and slowly no matter how much he yells (this gives you the mental upper hand) ask him why he is calling you? and don't hang up until he does, give him a chance to get everything of from his chest. (remember to keep calm during the whole conversation, don't loose your head, that will indicate his terrorising works)

if that does't work, say you've had a friend (use a name he knows) installing a answering machine that records all incomming calls, and that you've consulted a lawyer and been reassured that this is legal evidence in court.
ertmann|CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:39   #17
Sandman2012
<3 foobar2k
(Forum King)

Lots of good advice here so far. I'll only repeat that what he is doing is a crime. At the very least if you get a restraining order, anything he does to violate it is prosecutable.
Sandman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 01:51   #18
ShyShy
Amazon Bush Woman
Forum Queen

If you still get no help from the police, consult a lawyer.

Or you can get the public sympathy factor going. Have a friend call the local news station/paper/talk radio station on your behalf. Without naming your ex (don't make his name public, he could turn around and sue you for slander unfortunately), have that friend talk about the circumstances of your plight. A little prodding from the public could get the police off of their asses. A woman up here locally did that for her sister, and probably ended up saving the sister's life. Once the police got into action, it was discovered that the ex-boyfriend had a very violent past.

Do whatever it takes to keep you and your boys safe.
ShyShy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 02:00   #19
SLASHproduction

Solution

#1. Forget the cops. If the cops could do anything, we would not have mutiple offenders in the domestic violence, child molestation, rape, and murder cases. Ok? So the cops...no.

#2. Let's say the cops do actually get off their asses and do something. So this guy, who is pissed off, mentally disturbed, and possibly dangerous, is now harassed, and possibly jailed bcause of YOU. Yeah, that will make him feel better. I am sure being jailed is just the solution to make him calm down. You know, he WILL get out one day, and although jail might make it safer temporarily, when he does get out...well....let's not talk about that.

#3. Solution: Send him a message. A physical message from someone who he does not know. I am not condoning violence, here. It could be a simple verbal message from someone who knows how to make a point, or it go the other way, if you so desire. But I would make sure this guy knows exactly what will happen if he does not back the hell off.

My step daughter, Kayla, is 14 years old. I came into her life when she was 7.
From the time she was 3 up until she was 7, her biological father, Name removed , raped her repeatedly, and nothing was done about it. He kept it hidden well. Plus he had her thinking if she told, she would be ridiculed and hurt. The marraige between my current wife and this asshole broke down because of other matters (she never knew this happened). Then I come into their lives. We have been together for 7 years. I found out from Kayla what had happened. I was outraged, as was her mother. We contacted the cops. They investigated. You know what happened? NOTHING! He is still free and clear, and Kayla is still scared to sleep alone at night because she fears he may show up.

One night, 2 years ago, he did show up. Demanding to see his daughter and to take her to the park. "I have visitation rights!", he said.
Obviously, I told him to "F**K OFF and leave before he got hurt."
His response was, "Don't ever let me see her walking to school alone."

So, I felt I had to "send a message".

Now he has to wear a glass eye and use a wheelchair for life.
Was I wrong? Maybe.
But no other kids have been raped by him, and Kayla can sleep through the night. She still sleeps in bed with me and her mother, but sleeping a full night is a major step for her.

I was jailed for 10 months. I regret nothing about it.

For those who may disagree with me. Fine. But in my opinion he should have been killed, not just paralyzed.

Ok, my situation is different than yours, I know. But the point is, sometimes you HAVE to resort to methods you may not be proud of to obtain your goal.
My wife feels safe, my daughter feels safe, and can sleep through the night, and she calls me her daddy and loves me for what I did.
AND, this asshole cannot rape another child again.
So I guess my method obtained the goal that the police could not.

I apologize to any I may have offended, but I don't care on this one.

YOU DO WHAT YOU FEEL YOU HAVE TO DO.
I, for one, will support your choice...and if you need a "messenger"...I can travel.
SLASHproduction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 02:05   #20
Coman
Punk
(Forum King)

respect

"Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?"
Coman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 02:10   #21
Bilbo Baggins
Wind Chime of the Apocalypse

You have my utmost respect and admiration Slash.
Bilbo Baggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 02:15   #22
SLASHproduction

Thanks

Thanks guys.
Wish the judge would have seen it your way!
LOL

I know my situation is different, but things have a funny way of escalating. That is why I posted my story.

If I can help missyob out in any way, I will.

Do not hesitate to ask, missy.
Old 11th December 2003, 02:20   #23
xzxzzx
Forum King

Harrassment is illegal.
Threataning statements are also illegal.
Stalking is illegal.

You'd be amazed at the power of the press.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 02:35   #24
SLASHproduction

Threats

Yes, threatening statements are illegal.

So make sure this guy gets the message from someone he does not know and from someone he would never link to yourself.

If YOU don;t know the person, and he does not know the person.
And no mention of you is made....hmmm......
Then it was a random act of violence.
Happens every day.

Once again, I am not condoning anything.
But I would rather risk the penelties of a threat than risk the penalties of doing nothing at all.

"A brave man dies but once, a coward dies a thousand deaths."
Old 11th December 2003, 02:40   #25
ElChevelle
Moderator Alumni

Quote:
Originally posted by Bilbo Baggins
Send Chev round. He'll sort him out.
I don't mix business with pleasure
and it would be my pleasure.

My ex and I got restraining orders on each the same day. It was very easy but the judge was pissed at us for wasting the court's time a month later when we reconciled.
ElChevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 03:33   #26
whiteflip
Post Master General
(Forum King)

I'm may or may not be manic depresant and I dont do that crap. That man is psycho and hes harrasing/threating you and last time I checked that was illegal. Higher a lawyer thats what they are for. Plus change your pin numbers/passwords/cell phone codes whatever.

I'm Back?
whiteflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 05:54   #27
White Raven
Little Winged One

I am so proud of you, Slash. You definitely did the right thing. I wasn't raped, but when that boy did things to me, for a few days after I wanted nothing more than to watch him bleed out his life in a crimson pool -- by my hands.

Thank god for you, and may the bastard die in pain and alone.

just as feathery as ever | portfolio | a poignant quote
White Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 06:13   #28
iomegajaz
Balled and Chained
Alumni

SLASH: The end justifies the means, huh. Score one for reckless vigilantism.

missyob: As everyone's said, verbal harrassment is harrassment - you can do something about it. Best of luck.

"My heart hates uggos." –J.D.
iomegajaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 06:22   #29
DragonSon
Fears the boots
Forum King

Missy, you can most definately do something about this prick harassing you. Maybe record the phone conversations, then replay them for the police?

SLASH: I envy you, you were able to do something that I only dream of doing. My fiance's boyfriend before me raped her, and everyday I have to live with the fact that he lives just a few blocks away from her house, and that I can't do a damn thing about it. For one, my fiance made me promise that I won't touch him, because she doesn't want to lose me. Because she knows just as well as I do, that honestly, if I did do something, I would kill the kid---literally beat him to death. And for another thing, if I did do something, the kid's a minor, so I can't even if I wanted to. But that always eats away at me, just the fact that the little shit got away with it.
DragonSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 06:31   #30
SLASHproduction

Whatever

Quote:
The end justifies the means, huh. Score one for reckless vigilantism.
Hey, let me rape your kid and then have the police, detectives, prosecutors, judges, and society in general tell you they did all they could.
Then I will come to your house and threaten you that if you don't let me take her again, I will do something to her when she is out alone somewhere.

Would you walk away to make a 911 call?

If you say, "yes"...good for you.
Nice to know you support cowardice.

Plain and simple, everyone has their own methods.
I used to think the police were the answer to crime. But after I had to deal with the pain, heartache, torment, fear, and destruction of my little girl because some pervert wanted to get his dick wet in a kid, I realized the "legal" method meant nothing.
Sure, sometimes, calling the cops is the way to go.
But as I said...we DID CALL THE COPS!!!! THEY DID NOTHING!

THAT'S when I took into my own hands. That is not vigilantism...it is justice.
And I know a 14 year old girl who cried herself to sleep tonight who would agree with me. That's who I care about, and that's who's opinion matters...not yours.

Missy...you do what you feel is necessary. I wish you all the luck in the world, and remember, if you need anything, let me know. I will do all I can.

Anyway, I quit. Reply all you want, but this is not my thread. This is for Missy. I only posted my story as one point of view.

Keep helping her and supporting her...my story is over with. Hers in the present. She deserves your time.
Old 11th December 2003, 06:52   #31
xzxzzx
Forum King

I was going to say ... something, but I decided that it would be in poor taste (believe me, VERY poor taste.. what a mind I have).

Anyway, SLASH, I don't know your complete situation, but you know, I think you did the right thing. If someone like that was in my child's life, I would make *sure* that he wouldn't be. "How" is another question, but you were probably morally justified. The legal system doesn't see it that way, though.

Freedom of speech is the basic freedom of humanity. When you've lost that, you've lost everything.
1\/\/4y 34|<$p4y 1gp4y 33714y, 0d4y 0uy4y? | Roses are #FF0000; Violets are #0000FF; chown -R ${YOU} ~/base
The DMCA. It really is that bad. : Count for your life.
xzxzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 08:41   #32
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

@Missy: I'm so sorry this is happening to you. It's always harder for a woman feeling threatened by a man than the other way around. But I've been there (with an ex of mine who threatened me several times), and I learned what it takes to make the most of stalking laws and restraining orders. If a man can make the laws work against a woman, a woman should have less trouble making them work against a man.

Please, please, please, do whatever you need to do to get a temporary restraining order against the guy. You will not have to face the guy in court for the T.R.O....it's just you and a judge, and how well you can "tell the story", if you get my meaning. If the guy hasn't done enough to you, then make something up. I've done this before and it works. I know it seems completely immoral to lie, but lying to protect your life is not the least bit wrong.

It's a matter of priority. To protect yourself and your kids, you should do anything, including lie, cheat and steal if need be. It's terrible that we have to do that, but stalking laws, where they exist, are weak and need a little "boost" by a victim to get the police into action. If your life is threatened, I truly feel that you have to follow priority.

Would you rather be alive and have done something questionable to someone to protect yourself? Or would you rather be dead and have kept perfect morality?

Find out what the guy would need to do to you for you to be able to get a restraining order, then "create" whatever story you need to make it happen. Make it believable and be able to back it up (don't let the guy be able to "alibi" out of it). The best way is not to make up something out of the blue, because he can always show evidence that he was somewhere else at the time. Instead, when he calls you, or if you see him in person, "inflate" the situation to make it more life-threatening in the eyes of the police. If you face him, then he had a knife in his hand (whether he did or not). If he calls you, then he threatened to kill you (whether he did or not). You protect yourself, darlin', because the laws are too weak to do it by themselves. I can do more to someone with simple "creativity with the law" than with any gun.

And once you have a temproary restraining order, get a permanent one. (You'll have to face him in court for that one, but by then there will likely be enough of your "story" built up and supported.)

Once you have a restraining order, violation of it is a Class-A misdemeanor PLUS any other violation that the guy commits. In other words, calling and threatening your life (remember, if he calls you, ALWAYS say he's threatened your life) it's -1- violation of the restraining order, and -2- making terroristic threats.

If you're worried that he'll be pissed if you put him in jail, is that compared to the nice person he's being now??? He's giving you nothing to lose. What's he going to do if you put him into jail? Threaten you? Come after you? To late...already happening. There is no reason you shouldn't "create" whatever you need to get a restraining order. After that, if he contacts you in any way, record the contact and use it to as evidence for the police to arrest him. If there are any "blanks" in the situation (as there always are), then "fill them in" with a nice, juicy, believable story that'll make the police want his hide.

Work him over, and don't let up the heat. If he wants to play hardball, you play hardball. If he uses threats in a bad way, then you use the law in a bad way. Your life, and that of your kids, are definitely worth it. An angry cop can do more to hurt the guys life than you could with a gun, even.

Women are hurt every day because they "let it go" when a man scares or threatens them. You have nothing to lose in doing everything possible to keep him away from you. (But don't "get someone to hurt him", because they'll put you in jail for that, and then you'll have less legal power to fight him later. Keep your rep clean, that's essential for you to beat him in this matter to keep yourself safe.)

And keep us informed. We care about you very much, darlin'.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 08:44   #33
horse-fly
Account Closed

all i have to say is meet him, pretend to feel horny about him.. and when his pants are off, you pull our your knife and start stabbing down there
horse-fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 09:13   #34
marvinbarcelona
Major Dude

Meeting this situation with violence will solve nothing. Remember, he could then report the crime to police and might be able link it back to you. Or it just might up his 'victim' complex and he could continue worse than before.

As has been said already;

1) Keep all records of his contact with you.
2) When he calls, start recording and advise him you are recording the call, he can then hang up or not. He may get bored.
3) ShyShy's point is a good one; the local media can be very helpful, this will humilate him infront of his friends, family and work collegues. Important to keep all records (see point 1) in case he sees a lawyer.

Slash, will I agree that sometimes, violence in self defence is necessary, I think/hope it can be avoided in most cases. I would class your actions as self-defence, at least you would have an arguement un the UK as you are able to plead self-defence if you are coming to the aid of someone else, ie your daughter.

I think she sleeps better because she now has a man in her life who she can obviously trust and knows will protect her.

It's been said that I could start an arguement in an empty room.....I see no reason to disbelieve this.
marvinbarcelona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 09:26   #35
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Quote:
Originally posted by ertmann|CPH
Next time he calls, take a long deep breath, speak calmly and slowly no matter how much he yells (this gives you the mental upper hand) ask him why he is calling you? and don't hang up until he does, give him a chance to get everything of from his chest. if that does't work, say you've had a friend (use a name he knows) installing a answering machine that records all incomming calls, and that you've consulted a lawyer and been reassured that this is legal evidence in court.
ertmann

I do speak camly when he calls. I dont raise my voice and just let him vent. If I let him vent it all out I would be on the phone for 24 hours straight. I just dont have the time or energy to just let him yell at me. He still verbally talks down to me. Yesterday he called and said that I was a loser and will never amount to anything and that I am not a true friend to anyone. I can only take so much from him. He has threatened my business and myself.

I have a recording device hooked up to my home phone because I record some business conversations ie: conference calls that I have with clients so that I can go back and remember everything that was said. Sometimes even when taking notes you forget a key part of a conversation that is very important. The only problem is that Steve only calls my cell phone and according to Sprint there is no way to record conversations from a cell.

I live less than half a mile from the State Troopers office in town here and they wont do anything about this because he has done nothing but just call me. According to them because he has not physically followed me or come here there is not much they can do about it.

~ Missy
Old 11th December 2003, 09:49   #36
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Slash,

Your story made me cry. I cried real tears for your little girl and the little girl I once was. I know what she is going through. I too was raped by my babysitters son. I was 7 - 10 years old he was 16. He raped me almost every day for the 3 years and I was too afraid to tell anyone because he threatened to hurt my little sister if I told anyone. I took it to protect my sister. At that age I was scared and believed this older boy.

I took the pain and humiliation to protect my family. The fear a rapist puts in a child is definately not something that can be easily overcome. As an adult I faced everything that happend when I was young, went to therapy and came to terms with it. However growing up was a difficult thing for me. Even with him out of the picture at my age of 10 I still felt so much guilt. Why did I let him do this to me? What is so wrong with me that someone would want to hurt me in this way? I lived with this tremendous pressure that I was a bad person and did not feel worthy of others. I feel this is why I have ended up chosing the wrong male partners for myself. My ex-husband was verbally abusive and an alcoholic. Steve was very verbally abusive. It is a terrible pattern that we end up in.

I wish I could hug your daughter right now and tell her I understand everything she is feeling and going through. I was there. Please if you have not done so get her into therapy so she can come to terms with everything before she ends up going into the same pattern I did and hurting herself over and over again.

What you did is not going to be necessarily right in everyones eyes but I commend you for it. You did what you needed to do at the time to protect your family. I have the upmost respect for what you did. You have earned so much respect from me. I know that violence is not always the answer but when no one else will help you need to do what you need to do.

---------------------

My dad is a military man and I am daddys little girl. I had him call Steve last night and calmly (but firmly) ask him to leave me alone. The phone calls and faxes have stopped for now.

Thank you all for your support through a very difficult time in my life. You are all such a fantastic group of people.

Love,

Missy
Old 11th December 2003, 09:52   #37
Viper007Bond
Major Dude

Send a message via ICQ to Viper007Bond Send a message via AIM to Viper007Bond Send a message via Yahoo to Viper007Bond
Quote:
Originally posted by Bizznatch
my girlfriend had this happen to her before we met, she easily got a restraining order on the asshole, never saw him again.
That's what I was gonna suggest.

- Viper007Bond | Viper007Bond.com
Viper007Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 10:20   #38
ScorLibran
Resident Floydian

Please don't take this the wrong way, but if he calls, hang up immediately. Over and over and over. Or better yet, never answer if you see his number on Caller ID. If you want an animal to keep coming to your door, feed it. If you want it to go away, the first step is to stop feeding it. His goal when he calls is to make you listen to him. When you do, he wins. Don't reward him for calling, because it affirms in his mind that he's doing the right thing.

Somebody has to be in control of this situation. If you follow his lead at all, ever, then he's in control. Take control of the situation yourself. It's the only way to be protected. If you want the police to intervene, then they'll need incentive. If you're reticent to give them incentive (which would be understandable), then at the very least don't give this guy control of you. Every time you listen to him, that's what's happening. If there was a glimmer of a chance that you would get back together with him, then there would be a point in giving him your attention. If there is no such hope, then there is no point.

And I agree with those who say you should defend yourself if you're confronted, but a better idea is to not even give him the chance to confront you. If there's any chance of it happening, start getting the police involved by any means necessary (as described in my previous post).

I truly hope that your father calling him will eliminate the whole problem, and it does sometimes, but more often it doesn't after a few weeks or so. Just don't take chances with your life. No rules when it comes to keeping yourself safe. That's my attitude, anyway. Not knowing what he plans to do is what makes him so dangerous for you. Just watch your back, hon.

I'm a psychosomatic sister running around without a leash.
ScorLibran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2003, 10:32   #39
SLASHproduction

Missy....

Yes, Kayla is in therapy, and is doing better with each session.
She can now talk about the incident(s) and she understands that what she did is not her fault.
I know she still has alot of fear about her father, and I know her trust in men has been degraded.
I only hope with my support, she will learn that REAL men do not hurt, and REAL men do not need to degrade women to feel superior.

I cannot tell you how upset I am about your situation, and I wish I was there to "talk" to the guy in person for you...HEY, GUYS...I SAID "TALK", OK! LOL
But rest assured even with a "TALK" he would get the message.
You saw my pics, right? Not to sound cocky, but you understand, I know. You made some comments on the pics before and I remembered.

To those I may have offended...well, ok...you were offended.

To those who backed me up, thank you...now turn all your energy and support towards Missy, she deserves it more.
I cannot understand why a man would want to threaten or hurt a woman. I mean, WOMEN bring life into the world. Sure, men help...but without the women, life would cease to exist. That alone should earn all women at least some respect.

Once again, if you need anything...do not hesitate to ask.
And if you ever need to talk, just pm me and I will send the phone number along to you. We all need friends.

See ya.
Old 11th December 2003, 10:36   #40
missyob
Angel of Winamp

Thanks for your solid advice Scor, I adore you!

The reason I am picking up the phone is that the police told me that I need solid evidence that he is calling me so much. It does not show up on my phone records that he has called unless the call goes through.

I know that my dad calling him is only a temporary solution. In the past I have had friends call him and tell him to stop calling me - he stops for a week and then starts up again. It is causing me so much stress in mine and my boys life. Stress alone is not good enough for the police here though. The whole system is messed up. He has not come here (he lives 2 hours away) and has not harmed me in any way since we broke up so the police dont see it as a threat. I called the courts and since we never lived together and were never married they dont see phone calls as a threat either. At the same time verbal abuse can be more destructive to a person than physical abuse. Scars go away, mental pain is harder to heal.

He did not call last night so hopefully he will leave me alone for a while more.

Again, thank you everyone. The stress I have been feeling lately has probably put me on edge here in the forums. I apologize if I have been rude to anyone lately.

Big Hugs,

Missy
Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Community Center > General Discussions