Old 22nd October 2004, 14:16   #1
StillWater
Forum King

New skin: Kopernik

I posted a screenshot of this skin a while back on a different thread. But since then, I've done a little bit of work on it, and here it is:

No WSZ yet, because I haven't made one yet - I'm still just building the skeletons.psd

Whaddaya think? Comments, critiques, and all that jazz is most welcome
Attached Images
File Type: png kopernik-screenshot.png (54.3 KB, 533 views)

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

All my skins: @ winamp.com @ 1K1WS @ Deviantart.com

My latest Flash Project: BreathingEarth.net
StillWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2004, 17:48   #2
Namelessv1
Forum King

Looks quite good.

The button shadows/reflections are a very nice touch. The pegs for the shuf/rep are also quite nice. The labels on the cbuttons look a bit off with how they're angled, though, especially the prev/next buttons.
Namelessv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2004, 19:08   #3
tydogg

I would maybe bring your circe/button things for the vol in closer and add one more. Seems a bit off with only four of 'em. I still love that sense of depth on the main, especially that cool titlebar.

You thought I was dead, didn't you?
tydogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2004, 21:34   #4
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Looks great! My only suggestion would be to change the eject button. It rather bothers me that it's mounted on the back "wall" while being so close to the "ground."
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2004, 19:56   #5
squakMix
wwwyzzerdd
(Forum King)

Wow, I love the look of this (I rather like the four volume buttons).

My only suggestion (yes, only) would be to touch up the buttons in the media library. The scroll bar looks very blurry to me.
squakMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2004, 21:18   #6
dlinkwit27
has no CT
(Forum King)

Send a message via ICQ to dlinkwit27 Send a message via AIM to dlinkwit27 Send a message via Yahoo to dlinkwit27
sugestion for shuf / rep: have the rings point towards the option:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ider.jpg (35.3 KB, 250 views)
dlinkwit27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2004, 15:38   #7
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

So good!

I Give my aprovation(it isn't a lot hehe)
if you want to change something it deppends on what you want to do...if you want It to be user friendly, maybe you should add some indications in the main window...As I have used winamp for a long time(but not that long) and made some skins I understand the skin perfectly but more than a half of the people who download skins don't so..maybe some words here and there(like the eq and pl buttons or the volume and balance) would do it...it's just my opinion, the apearence is just perfect as it is...
hope to see it finished soon see ya'
El-ArGeNtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2004, 18:39   #8
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Re: So good!

Quote:
Originally posted by El-ArGeNtO
aprovation
Cool Word.

Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2004, 19:50   #9
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

eeeh...

well...was that word written the right way? (I don't speak english very well) it makes me think...am I funny?
anyway I liked the skin and thats what I meaned

Atte Your Good Neighbour Spiderman...
[edit] some grammar mistakes SORRY AGAIN
Old 24th October 2004, 21:12   #10
flatmatt
Iron Chef
(Reviewer)

Well, I think you were going for approval. Though approvation sounds like a cool word. Like innovative approval. Or something.
flatmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2004, 21:15   #11
Schmeet
Major Dude

I'll tell the guys down at Oxford about that word

Pretty nice skin, some of the edges of the windows could do with some shading to make it look more elevated though.
Schmeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2004, 21:20   #12
LuigiHann
Forum King

Send a message via AIM to LuigiHann
Good design, makes me think of like an arcade cabinet or something. I'll comment more after I get to play with it.

Who is the milkman? What is the purpose of the goggles?
LuigiHann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 03:15   #13
k_rock923
\m/
(Forum King)

Send a message via AIM to k_rock923
Funky idea. As someone said, you might want ot change the eject button. Also, maybe make the minimize/winshade/close buttons in the main window look a bit more like the related buttons in other windows.

I'm very happy to see this because I had thought you were done skinning.

Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway.
k_rock923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 03:26   #14
xenosomething
Major Dude

i like how the load/eject button is different from the other ones "standing up"....gives some variety. but it's too close to the ground as said before. maybe shrinking it and raising it a pixel or two.

and i think the cbuttons were a great idea....but the "wall" of the main window doesn't look like it goes deep despite the way the edges are. darkening it would look way better IMO(wasn't this also said when you first showed it off too?)

.........?.
xenosomething is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2004, 18:02   #15
Doggy Dog
Canis Sapiens
(Reviewer)

Send a message via ICQ to Doggy Dog
Heh, this one's pretty nice... innovative in a way, the left side feels too "cut off" for some reason.. maybe with some slight shading it'll look better.

Buuut, I just went through at least 80 noobie presets while reviewing, and I'm not feeling quite myself, so I might be talking crap.
Doggy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 01:37   #16
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by flatmatt
Well, I think you were going for approval. Though approvation sounds like a cool word. Like innovative approval. Or something.
mmm..I didn't invent that word...in spanish "my approval" means "Mi aprovacion" and...well I thougth It was the same :S... but if it makes you all laugh it's Ok to me to be de dumb in here

[Edit] BTW one question...I've published a new skin in here...a few weeks ago and (in my profile) it apears as published, but it isnt...what happened to it?? TNX
Old 26th October 2004, 07:29   #17
Wildrose-Wally
The Albertan

Quote:
[Edit] BTW one question...I've published a new skin in here...a few weeks ago and (in my profile) it apears as published, but it isnt...what happened to it?? TNX
What is the name and CID number?

Wildrose-Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 16:06   #18
Xerxes
Capitalist Alumni

Send a message via ICQ to Xerxes
Re: eeeh...

Quote:
Originally posted by El-ArGeNtO
[B]well...was that word written the right way? (I don't speak english very well) it makes me think...am I funny?
Don't worry about it... your English is fine. That one word was rather interesting... it doesn't exist in the English language but it sounded cool.

Sounded like something this guy might come up with...

Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2004, 16:42   #19
StillWater
Forum King

I haven't gotten to everything I wanted to change so far, but here is an update. I've also changed the colours/contrast in general :
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kopernik-screenshot2.jpg (83.4 KB, 255 views)

Sow a thought, reap an action; sow an action, reap a habit; sow a habit, reap a character; sow a character, reap a destiny.

Old 27th October 2004, 22:08   #20
HaloHQ

The new shade of blue looks a lot better.
HaloHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2004, 01:26   #21
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

Quote:
Originally posted by wildrose-wally
What is the name and CID number?
I Dunno what is the CID number...is that the nuymber wich apears in the URL??? if so it is 143084...
and the skin name is "The Bloodstain 2"

Tell me if you know something about it...

Now going back to the skin...I liked the old Cbuttons but anyway the other parts looks great ...y just liked the older buttons
Old 21st November 2004, 00:01   #22
HaloHQ

Is this skin still getting worked on? What you have so far looks great, but it's been a while since any updates.
HaloHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2004, 01:09   #23
StillWater
Forum King

I've worked a bit on it since my last update, though I haven't touched it for a while now. It'll almost definitely get finished, although it may take a while before I have time to work on it again. I'm currently making a skin for Sysmetrix, so Kopernik will probably have to wait till I've finished that.

Old 29th November 2004, 15:06   #24
StillWater
Forum King

Well, I've finally finished my Sysmetrix skin (which was called Skyline and which you can get here if you wish). And so just thought I'd take the opportunity to plug it.

But now that it's finished, I've had some time to work on Kopernik again. I've finally started working on it in WSZ form, rather than just working on the skeletons. Although I guess I haven't made all that many changes to it, now I look at it

Some quick notes about it:
-I've scrapped the volume idea, though haven't done a new one yet
-The EQ animation will still get a bit more work on it, especially the slider which is just a placeholder at the moment.

Get the WSZ here (about 120k)

Old 29th November 2004, 18:23   #25
simon snowflake
Skin Wizard
(Forum King)

Location: Gent, Belgium. does anybody know where the toilets are?
Send a message via ICQ to simon snowflake
About the volume. If you would just use smaller lights, it would work perfectly.

Pretty nice work BTW.

don't be a thief of your own life.... : DEXYD - Digitally EXpressing Your Dreams

Join the Winamp Enthusiasts Forum - Join the Winamp Skin Love facebook group:
simon snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2005, 17:07   #26
StillWater
Forum King

UPDATE

This skin is taking ages!! I can't wait till I finish the bloody thing - I'm starting to hate it.

I'm nearing completion, yet there are still lots of fiddly little things to do, including the dreaded (for me - I find them really tedious to skin) windowshades. I've added Amarok, Mikro and old MB windows, and I've made various tweaks and updates all over the place on the rest of it.

What I'm really struggling with is the EQ sliders (the 11x11 pixel sliders, not the bars) - I've tried just about everything, and I just can't get anything to look good. Anyone have any suggestions?

Get the WSZ from my DeviantART scraps

Old 16th April 2005, 23:44   #27
LuigiHann
Forum King

What exactly is wrong with the EQ sliders? They look okay to me. Are you worried about the fact that the little grid doesn't quite line up half the time? I've seen worse. If it really bothers you, you could lower the opacity of the grid, or take it out altogether and see how it looks then?
I hope you come up with something you like, because I think this skin looks great.
Also, I notice you skin Amarok. Should I skin Amarok? I suppose it would be easy enough, but I don't use it.

Old 17th April 2005, 18:39   #28
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

how are you getting on with the space? maybe you can change the white dot wit some kind of ring (as in the shuff and rep buttons)or something upper the "tubes" i mean, that don't look like inside the tube...If that's what you dislike, I think it's ok...at the moment I don't have any good ideas...that's the only thing that came to mi mind...
Old 19th April 2005, 00:40   #29
StillWater
Forum King

I just don't much like the way the white circle eq slider looks. But maybe it isn't as bad as I thought. I'll keep playing with it.

LuigiHann: I quite like skinning Amarok, as it's probably eaiser to skin than all the other windows including Mikro. The top half is identical to PLEDIT.BMP, and the bottom half is just a simplified version of that window, plus it gives you a nice big 'blank canvas' area on the left (though I usually just write "Amarok" in it )

The plugin itself is something that I think would come in handy for most users - if they knew about it. It's not something that I use often, but I do use it, so when it pops up eventually, it's nice to see that it's been skinned.

What it does is it allows you to put bookmarks inside tracks. So, for example, I'm playing my 63-minute Jerry Seinfeld track. Two of my favourite bits are when he's talking about seedless watermelons and about the luge, so when it gets to those bits, I open up Amarok with a hotkey and press the + button to add a bookmark, and call them "watermelon bit" and "luge bit". It saves these bookmarks automatically, and from then on, whenever I play this track, Amarok pops up (nicely skinned, hopefully) and I can access those bits by clicking on the bookmarks, if I wish.

It's useful for really long tracks like that, and it's also very useful for tracks that have very long intros (for example, I'm listening to a Sasha track that has a 1:43-long intro - so I have a bookmark at 1:43 that lets me get right into the body of the song).

Old 19th April 2005, 01:34   #30
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

Thasnks for the information db I didn't knew that the bookmarks meaned that actually i won't use it because all my songs are only 5 min...maybe 8 or 9 but no longer...
maybe the Offspring songs with bonus tracks in the end (see, Americana, Smash, Conspiracy of One...)
Old 19th April 2005, 15:49   #31
StillWater
Forum King

I've got another update, although I guess it's rather minimal. I've updated the file at the DeviantART location, although the screenshot there is still the old one. For the new screenshot, see the attachment here.

The main things I've modified:
-volume
-logo on EQ
-shuf/rep labels
-cbutton labels

Anyone have any idea for Active/inactive markers?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot2.jpg (86.3 KB, 205 views)

Old 20th April 2005, 03:29   #32
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

what about a little marker(as the mono stereo indicator)
or maybe a light...
Some kind of eyelip in the "balls" that closes...or maybe a ring :P to show that they're closed...
no ideas I'm really tired, i've been all the afternoon working on the Earth Worm Jim Skin... see the updates and tell me you opinion if you want to I think that i've already a good name for the skin
Old 20th April 2005, 03:31   #33
LuigiHann
Forum King

Why not just have your ^vX lights be dimmer when it's inactive than when it's active?

Old 20th April 2005, 16:32   #34
StillWater
Forum King

bugtest please!

OK, finally finished (I think). Can someone please bugtest (and give last-minute suggestions if you want) for me? Thanks. Get the final beta WSZ here.

Or, to put it a different way: between the time I started making Kopernik and now, LuigiHann has submitted twelve completed skins

Old 20th April 2005, 16:50   #35
LuigiHann
Forum King

Okay, bugs:
The pressed states for the video window buttons are off by a couple of pixels, if you look closely.
If you're going to do the main menu button the way you did, the unclicked state should match the active state, not the inactive state, I think.
For me, your cursor doesn't look very good. I'm not sure why, but Winamp on my computer seems to display cursors at a lower color pallete than it used to (if anyone has any suggestions to fix that, it'd be a huge help), so that's probably the reason, but the blue in your cursor seems to flicker oddly rather than pulsate like I'd imagine you intended it to.
Your repeat button touches the edge of the shuffle button, so that if repeat is on and then you turn shuffle off it loses a pixel.

Also, I don't like your balance bar very much. Perhaps if you dropped the little rim around the light, you could make the light part bigger, so it could look more like the other lights, or like the posbar. You know what I mean?
I think I actually liked the EQ sliders better when they were solid, but that's a minor thing.

Hope that helps
I like how this skin looks, especially the depth of the main window, so hutty up and finish it now

Old 20th April 2005, 19:28   #36
StillWater
Forum King

Thanks Luigi I changed most of those things, except where it seemed too much of a hassle (eg. shufrep). As for the cursors, I'm not sure what the problem would be.
(and has been submitted to winamp.com)

Oh man, am I glad to be finished . Thanks to everybody who gave feedback!

Old 21st April 2005, 02:11   #37
El-ArGeNtO
Major Dude

one more thing still...there's a small diferrent black Rectangle in the video window over the K of Kopernic...I noticed that because i've a really bright monitor i also agree with the things that luigi said but, i think yo already fixed those things
Old 21st April 2005, 15:55   #38
StillWater
Forum King

Thanks ElArgento.

I've removed that bug from the video (plus the MB.BMP), and I also fixed the video pressed state bugs that Luigi mentioned. Plus I added that little 7x7 square that Wally mentioned on a different thread onto the GEN.BMP. I've updated the skin at the 1001 and DA.

I tried to update at winamp.com, but the skin has disappeared from my "Unpublished" section. Should I resubmit it?

Old 21st April 2005, 17:33   #39
mrym

i just downloaded from 1001skins.com. great skin as usual.
i noticed one problem.
mbFG and mbBG are exactly same as skinners atlas.
maybe you forgot to change that?
mrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2005, 18:51   #40
StillWater
Forum King

Oh man, that's so annoying. I recently reformatted and didn't actually have any movie files on my hard drive to check it - I couldn't remember whether I'd done the mbFG and mbBG yet, so I just looked at the hex values, and they seemed ok to me. *sigh*, I'll update the skin (for the third time in a few hours ). Thanks for pointing it out, mrym.

Go Back   Winamp & Shoutcast Forums > Skinning and Design > Classic Skins